Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #1  

Question Questions for counters:

This is the second time I have looked at your forum and seen that a lot of you are having success. That is a huge draw for me. I have a few questions.

1. Is there a book that has helped you? a "how to" book or a complete calorie count book?? a web site??

2. Do you restrict carbs and fat? I am following the Sonoma Diet because I think it is really healthy--but I might decide to count calories while following the Sonoma guidelines so that I can include foods that I feel are not junk food but aren't allowed on the Sonoma Diet. Do any of you do that?

3. How hard has it been for you compared to other diets that you have tried (if you have).

4. This kinda goes along with #2: do you combine any plans with calorie counting?

Thank you for any input! I am so sick and tired of not being able to stick with my diet. I feel like I have tried them all.

Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Fitday or thedailyplate are great websites for calorie counters. They have wonderful software that allows you to keep track of everything and their database has most foods already listed.

I find calorie counting easier than any other plan because it does not restrict what foods I can eat, only how much. I also think that moving to maintenance will be easier, since it is pretty much continuing what I am doing.

Now, like you - I try to follow some eating guidelines. I try to eat as many whole, and non-processed foods as I can. I try to keep carb/protein/fat in balance 40/30/30. I like the Sonoma/ Mediterranean diet because it allows things in moderation. Thus, I combine all of these into my plan.

I just finished Mindless Eating and it was an interesting book. I may re-read it again when I am closer to maintenance. Many of the tips are things I already do.

You can do this. It really is a great way to lose weight!

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-14-2007 at 06:02 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

1. I use a calorie counting website (www.fitday.com). It helps me get the calorie counts of things I am eating, and it stores packaged or custom foods I eat a lot, so that I can easily add things. Other people use different sites. There are also lots of books out there that can keep count for you.

2. I find that, by calorie counting, I restrict bad carbs and all but the healthiest fats, simply because including them would up my calorie counts significantly without giving me much in the way of fullness. My 100 calories of brown rice keeps me full longer than 100 calories of white rice, simply because of the extra fiber. So I don't restrict them on purpose, but for me, it has happened anyway.

3. Relatively easy. I can make anything fit with proper planning, even if I am at a party or at a friend's house for dinner. I can eat some candy if I want to, not every day, but once in a while, and as long as it fits in my calorie count, it is ok. Anything can fit into your plan as long as you have the calories for it, once in a while. Of course healthier foods will keep you fuller longer, so you'll eat those most of the time to avoid hunger, but there is nothing wrong with a treat, and you're still "on plan" if you eat it! This has helped me more than I can say. That being said, you still need to plan...it isn't going to happen automatically for you. But the planning is easier with tools like FitDay, etc.

4. You might consider my approach "Mostly-Whole-Foods", but I don't follow any formalized plan in addition to the calorie counting - just try to eat very nutritious foods most of the time, lots of veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, etc. It isn't a formal plan of any kind.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #4  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

i don't restrict certain foods casue if i feel i've deprived myself, then i start craving what i feel i've missed out on.

i have a certain calorie point that i stick to. If the food i want fits in it, i'll have a small taste. Sometimes just allowing myself a bite or two is enough. Better than having none at all. If i want a cookie, i know that one cookie is 100 calories, and after it i will only have a certain number of calories left for the day. Works for me.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

another Gina!

1. A book that helped me? Winning By Losing by Jillian Michaels (the Black team trainer from Biggest Loser).
2. I follow the 40/30/30 percentages of calories (carb/protein/fat)- beyond that I do try to eat more whole foods than not. I think it's similar to The Zone.
3. I hadn't really tried to diet before trying Calorie counting...unless you count Weight Watchers when I was in the 6th grade. Lets just say that was a LOOOOOOOOOONNNGGGGG time ago. I wouldn't say any of this is easy...but the alternative (going back to who I used to be) is harder.
I think it's really important to experiment with what works and doesn't work for your body. I take ideas from different plans and try them out. Some work for me...some don't.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #6  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

1. Is there a book that has helped you? a "how to" book or a complete calorie count book?? a web site?? No book , just used common sense and ready A LOT all over 3FC.

2. Do you restrict carbs and fat? I am following the Sonoma Diet because I think it is really healthy--but I might decide to count calories while following the Sonoma guidelines so that I can include foods that I feel are not junk food but aren't allowed on the Sonoma Diet. Do any of you do that? I just try to have a reasonable amount each day. Not go over or under board...I don't count them...but if carbs/fat are too high, I avoid them...especially if they aren't the "good" carbs/fats.

3. How hard has it been for you compared to other diets that you have tried (if you have). The only other diet I have tried is ww...too complicated for me...this is really easy...although I don't know what my actual intake is because I generally live with the same foods that I know how many calories are in them...it's easier for me that way...I'm boring and I like it.

4. This kinda goes along with #2: do you combine any plans with calorie counting?I use Slim Fast at least once a day. I love it and I usually have it for breakfast...has lots of nutrients, fiber, and is filling...for me...some people...not so much, but it works for me. I also focus on getting 25-30 grams of fiber each day....it fills me up and doesn't leave me wanting more more more!!!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

Top three keys to my success:
1) Nutritional Software to record everything I eat - I use DietPower
2) Good Scale to measure everything that I eat and gain control over what is an appropriate portion size - I have a Salter
3) Participation in boards where there is lots of good sound advice and support - most frequented include 3FC, CalorieKing, *********** and Diet-Blog

I do pay attention to Sodium, Fat, Protein, Fiber but I did not do this all on day 1. Start with calories and portion control and once you have that under control then start folding in the nutrient % but even do that slowly while you develop good habts.

These habits become second nature when you record what you eat because you see an immediate impact on you diet and after awhile intuitively know what choices are good and not so good. You also become more comfortable about what splurges you can allow yourself as you see how they impact your diet as well.

The "diet" is the easy part - the hard part is figuring out situations that derail you. That by far is harder to gain control. I am a workaholoc and emotional/stress eater. I lost 94lbs in the past only to gain back 130 when I got into a disfunctional job and lost control Even though I knew how to lose I could not do it until I finally walked away from the job (which was very hard) but amazingly the out of control cravings and overeating immediately stopped.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #8  

Thumbs up

Thank you! I am registered with thedailyplate now. I like it! I had McCann’s oatmeal for breakfast and assumed they would not have it. They did! It must be a great database!

Countingdown:

Quote:
I just finished Mindless Eating and it was an interesting book. I may re-read it again when I am closer to maintenance. Many of the tips are things I already do.

I have that book. Right now I am reading a book but I think I will put that on my list to take a look at again.

Mandalinn82:

Quote:
This has helped me more than I can say. That being said, you still need to plan...it isn't going to happen automatically for you. But the planning is easier with tools like FitDay, etc.

Planning has always been really hard for me. I have to keep trying until something clicks and I become better at planning.
Hi Other Gina!

Quote:
I follow the 40/30/30 percentages of calories (carb/protein/fat)- beyond that I do try to eat more whole foods than not. I think it's similar to The Zone.
I see that there are a couple of you who are using the 40/30/30 guidelines. I will have to see what my percentages are while following the Sonoma Diet and calorie counting. I am really curious. I followed the Zone about 10 years ago. I felt the best I have ever felt. It should be easy to keep an eye on with thedailyplate. After reading LoriLoves advice though I think I will only do that only to observe until I get calorie restriction to work for me.

Gatoramanda:

Quote:
I also focus on getting 25-30 grams of fiber each day....it fills me up and doesn't leave me wanting more more more!!!
That is so healthy!!

Lorilove:

Quote:
Start with calories and portion control and once you have that under control then start folding in the nutrient % but even do that slowly while you develop good habts.
I think that is great advice! I was just starting to get wrapped up in percentages and fiber but I think you are right. I need to start with figuring out how to restrict my calories first.

Quote:
The "diet" is the easy part - the hard part is figuring out situations that derail you. That by far is harder to gain control. I am a workaholoc and emotional/stress eater.

Good for you that had to be a very difficult decision!! I agree that figuring out what derails me is going to be very hard. At this point I just don’t have any ideas other than bad habits.

Thank you all for your help! I used a formula that I found here to figure out my daily calories. I am using thedailyplate and like it so far. Now I am going to go plan lunch and dinner for today. I think planning is really going to be a key for me.

Gina (the other one!)
Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like you're putting it together! Like many others, I write everything down and my plan evolved over time. I pay attention to a lot more factors than I did at the beginning.

Planning gets easier too. A big part of my success is bringing snacks and lunches to work every day. Helps keep me on track. I often spend time Sunday night portioning out snacks! But it's worth it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #10  

Thank you Heather. You look great!

Your siggy is something new to me and something to remember!!

My 5 C's of healthy living: Commitment to conscious control, with the understanding that choices have consequences
Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Gina -- It was hard picking only 5 C's, actually! There were some other candidates, but right now they escape me. Need more But it helps to think about when I'm veering a bit off course...

Last edited by Heather; 12-17-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #12  
LLV

1. Is there a book that has helped you? a "how to" book or a complete calorie count book?? a web site??

The only website I've used to help me along with calorie-counting is fitday. The "how to" part I sorta figured out on my own, once I used a calorie calculator to figure how many calories I needed to eat per day.

2. Do you restrict carbs and fat?

I restrict fat but not carbs. Carbs don't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

3. How hard has it been for you compared to other diets that you have tried (if you have).

Calorie-counting is the easiest thing I've ever done. It allows me to still eat some of my favorite foods (I don't believe in deprivation) and still lose weight, as long as I stay within my calorie range. I've tried hundreds of diets over the years. I honestly believe that dieting is one of the things that made me fat. I don't do diets anymore. When I stopped with the diets, started eating healthy and watching my calories, that's when the weight started coming off. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I'm over 3 years into losing over 85 pounds and I'm still keeping it off, whether I count my calories or not. This journey has allowed me to teach myself good habits that will last a lifetime. Diets don't do that for you. Beware any diet that asks you to restrict or eliminate a particular food group. Because you shouldn't have to eliminate anything, unless you need to for health reasons or doctors orders.

4. This kinda goes along with #2: do you combine any plans with calorie counting?

Nope.

Thank you for any input! I am so sick and tired of not being able to stick with my diet. I feel like I have tried them all.

As did I.

Diets are only a temporary fix and many people eventually give up because they're sick of restrictions. You shouldn't have to restrict anything. Again, the only thing I restrict is fat. Bad fats, of course. I try and get enough good fats by eating lots of fish and avocado or any food that contains monounsaturated fats as well as omega fatty acids (fish).
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I am not a strict calorie counter but I do try to remain aware of my calories. I'll do calorie count days once in while but most of my days are basically the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
As far as calorie counts go, there was no book. Fitday.com (which others have mentioned) is an awesome website and I use calorieking.com for quick lookups of calories.

Healthy eating books have been influential such as South Beach Diet and Superfoods RX.

Quote:
2. Do you restrict carbs and fat? I am following the Sonoma Diet because I think it is really healthy--but I might decide to count calories while following the Sonoma guidelines so that I can include foods that I feel are not junk food but aren't allowed on the Sonoma Diet. Do any of you do that?
I used to restrict carbs somewhat but I don't anymore. I've always kind of restricted fat but now I am really focusing on fat restriction. I don't know the Sonoma Diet but when I started eating healthier, I did use South Beach Diet as a general guideline although I didn't really follow the diet. Right now, I am following Eat to Live which really is a plan where you don't count calories but I do still try to keep track of my calories.

Quote:
Calories are really what count, no matter what diet that you happen to do. Some diets don't count calories but count other things but the overall effect is a reduced calorie intake. Basically, I just follow what I feel is a healthy eating plan, monitor my calories occasionally and tweak as necessary.

Quote:
Same answer really, I follow general healthy eating plans (right now its Eat to Live) and use calorie counting to make sure I am on track.

Last edited by nelie; 12-17-2007 at 10:43 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #14  
slow and steady?

S/C/G: 260/234/150

The book that got me started on this was called Calorie Queens. I highly recommend it as a healthy look at weight loss and calorie control.

2. Do you restrict carbs and fat?
I use fitday.com to log my daily foods, and I have custom goals set up for fat, carbs and fiber. I don't worry too much about it, but I do try to stay within my limits most days.

It's the only thing that's worked , and the weight is slowly but steadliy coming off.

Nope, other than eating mostly whole foods and healthy foods.

I definitely recommend going through your cupboards and clearing out the junk if you can- it's easier not to give into temptation if it's not around
errantbehavior is offline   Reply With Quote