Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/240/140

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation The plight of the Avocados

Avocados are high in calories and high in fat, however, it is the "good" fats and I would assume "good" calories...

Some people I know who count calories do not count their fruits and veggies when they are raw...but avocados are so high in calories shouldn't they be counted? I love raw, unprocessed avocados with lemon juice but I have been avoiding them because they are 289 calories and as much as 31 grams of fat! (but that is NOT saturated fat that is mono and polyunsaturated fats). That is an entire meal for me sometimes...I eat whole dinners with less calories than an avocado!

So does anyone here eat this fruit? Do you think this would be ok to add to my diet or should I treat it as a special treat because of the high calories.

Thanks in advance!
malinakrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

hi
I eat the Hass( dark) avocado, but not whole, because of it s calories. My family eats salads a few times a week and avocado is always used, so I eat a few slices. For example, last night I eat a serving of refried black beans( 100 calories), 2 corn tortillas( 135 calories) and a tomato and avocado salad( more tomatoes than avocado ( maybe 130 calories? ) . I don't eat red meat or poultry so avocado is really healthy for me. Just like any food, too much can be a bad thing.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi. I see that you are fairly new here. Welcome to 3FC. And congratulations on your 13 lb. weightloss!

I count calories and I most certainly without a doubt "count" my fruits and veggies. Since that's a large portion of what I eat - why would I NOT count it? Those calories add up - big time. So if you are indeed "counting caloires", IMO you've got to count all of them, otherwise what would be the point?

I love avocados, love, love, love um. I could easily polish off 2 or 3 of them quite easily - but I don't. Counting calories and being healthy in general is all about setting limits. So, I have avocado about once a week. Usually diced in a salad with hearts of palm, chopped tomatoes, red onion, lemon juice and fresh garlic. Or I make guacalmole and serve it with cut up veggies.

For me it's a very high calorie food, a good food no doubt, but I think it needs to be eaten in moderation. I would not sit and eat a whole avocado (anymore). I feel for the same amount of calories I can get much more food, volume wise and therefore be MUCH more satisfied.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I never really understood the point of counting calories if you aren't going to count them ALL. It's like saying the fruits and vegies don't count because they are good for you, but that's pretty silly--in my book, all calories "count." I will admit to some veggies for which I do NOT count calories: baby spinach, lettuce, and cucumber. The amounts of these things I would have to eat to even equal 50 calories are so large that I know I wouldn't eat that much. If I ate celery, I probably wouldn't count those calories, either. But as for the rest of them, they can add up pretty easily and quickly. A single banana can be well over 100 calories, an apple can be 100 calories, a cup of pineapple chunks is about 120 I think, corn adds up VERY quickly, etc.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #5  
Yes, indeed.

S/C/G: 176/170/125

Height: 5'5"

I never knew avocados were so high cal. I was thinking of making guacamole this week but wow.

I always count fruits and veggies too, and yes, they can sure pack a punch. ~_~
cupcakesundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #6  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Yuppy, I also count my fruits and vegetables but am a lot more stricter on the fruits. Vegetables I don't usually count for is Lettuce and cucumber but the rest are all written down. I never never never (this is silly of me I know) count ketchup but its because I don't eat it often and when I do it's quite minimal. Well anyways, I love love love love avocado and when I make a salad for everyone I try to give myself a minimum of a tablespoon of it chopped.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I "count" my fruits and vegetables, too... some days, they're most of what I eat. Avacados DEFINITELY count! They're sooo delicious, but fattening. It is "good" fat, but it's still fat. Fruits can be high in calories, too, from the natural sugars...that doesn't make them bad for you or anything, though the healthiest fruits are those lower on the glycemic index.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #8  
LLV

Florida avocados are lower in fat and calories than California (Hass). However, they're much harder to find. I haven't seen a Florida avocado in ages. Which stinks because those are my favorite.

Yes, avocados are high in calories, but that doesn't mean you have to sit and eat the whole thing. I love sliced avocado on sandwiches or salads and I usually eat about 2 ounces at a time because the California avocados are about 50 calories an ounce. Florida avocados are about 30 calories an ounce.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I eat small amounts (1/8 avocado) on a regular basis and count the calories.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #10  
LLV

And here's a link to some nutrition information on the avocado

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...odspice&dbid=5
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I buy small avocados at our local farmer's market and eat 1/4 of one at a time (on salad usually.) Guacamole is yummy too, but I only eat 1T of it when I have it.

I agree with what everyone is saying, I count my fruits and veggies too. I count everything that goes into my mouth! That includes lettuce, celery, and all the other very low-cal veggies. I also count my supplements (75 cals worth) and coffee (12oz has 7 calories.) I realize that some things are super low in calories, but they can add up over the course of the day. Plus I like to track the vitamins and minerals in the food I'm eating.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
I agree with what everyone is saying, I count my fruits and veggies too. I count everything that goes into my mouth!

I realize that some things are super low in calories, but they can add up over the course of the day. Plus I like to track the vitamins and minerals in the food I'm eating.
Yeah, what she said!

This morning I had 1/5 an avocado on a flourless sprouted grain English muffin, 1 sliced roma tomato, baby spinach leaves and a veggie sausage, sprinkled with garlic powder and nutritional yeast. YUM!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #13  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I always count fruits and veggies and yes some can add up quickly! Sometimes the only difference between maintaining your weight and losing 1-2 pounds a week is a matter of a few 100 cals a day. Very important!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 251/240/140

Height: 5'4"

Smile Thanks

First, thank you for the welcome and congratulations. I love this site I have been using it for some time just for recipes and then when I decided to lose weight I was using it for calorie counting...and recently I started posting

Thank you also for your feedback...I too count every calorie that goes into my mouth, even the 7 calories for 1 cup of lettuce in my salad I need to...if I didn't I wouldn't lose any weight I am sure.

The avocado advice is helpful, it is hard though because no one in my family eats it but me so I feel so much would be wasted. How do you keep leftover avocado fresh? Or do you just toss it? At 1.50 - 2.00 a piece around here I would hate to throw it!

Thanks again for the welcome
malinakrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #15  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I never have a leftover avocado in my house, as everyone loves them! My DH and DD will eat them with a spoon and some seasoning if we have enough of them.

Making a spread or guacamole or squeezing lemon over the half that still has the pit in it and covering it will help keep it fresh though.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote