Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Trying to keep calories UP?!

If someone a year ago had told me that now I'd be having the problem of eating too little, I would never have believed them! But do any of you have a problem where you'll be adding up what you ate in a day and realize that it's ridiculously low-- like, frequently under 1000? Then I have to do a nighttime scramble to throw something else in my belly, because I know that it's just as unhealthy to eat too little as too much and I have waaaay too much to do in a day to be malnourished. However....

...there's always that little voice going, "Hey, this is a good thing! You'll lose more quickly! You'll be able to balance out a big meal this weekend!" or something equally stupid-yet-compelling. Don't worry, I don't give in to it so I'm not asking for ways to combat it-- but it would be nice to hear if anyone else is in this new and very strange boat!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No I can't say that that happens to me all too often. I like to eat!!!! A lot. A day every now and then on the low side shouldn't do any harm whatsoever. It really does all balance out over the week, what you're thinking is definitely NOT stupid.

IF you'd like to up your calories a bit you can add some healthy things to what you already eat. A handful of slivered almonds into your salad. Or an avocado. Maybe you want to add in a low fat yogurt as a snack. Or perhaps save something lite to eat in the evenings like a small fruit. If you eat cereal for breakfast maybe you can eat a little more of it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-11-2007 at 10:00 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/130/130

Height: 5'4"

I run into that problem on the weekend occasionally. I usually add a hard boiled egg for a snack, or some nuts, apple and peanut butter or some cheese. Sometimes I am ok with a low day, especially if I have something coming up that I know might mean more calories for a day...but I don't usually go below 1200
amberj002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #4  

i started my diet and i wanted to loose so bad...so i started with fitday...ive done ww before but i didnt know calories and how many i was allowed every day and so on....so i started eating soy rice egg....high protein low fat....and it all added to around 600 to 800 a day...then i found this site and kept on reading and i found out that i should eat at least 1200....now im having a hard time finding foods to fill up to 1200....i like having a strict diet to follow where i dont have to make my own decisions....i dont want to stand in the kitchen 3x a day and wonder what im gonna eat.....but i want to be healthy and now im trying so hard but i have the same thoughts that youre having...What if i gain weight now??
sunshine900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You know, sometimes it sounds like 1200 is this magical number that we must never cross or we will be sent to some strange food program ****. That's not completely accurate. Yes, it's best not go below 1200 for nutritional reasons--and certainly not for a long period--without medical supervision. But there are days when I don't get up to 1200, and that's OK. So what if it's 1157? Or 1078? Usually I'm over 1200 as it is.

One way to increase calories is by eating enough fruits and vegetables. You can eat a lot of vegetables, and in that way, feel full--plus you are getting vitamins and minerals. 3 oz. of green beans, for example, which is a pretty good pile of beans, is 50 cals. (That's without any oil or butter, of course.)

Depending on how much protein you eat, you can also increase protein amounts. For example, 2 oz. of water packed tuna is 66 cals, and if you have four Triscuits with the tuna, that's another 80 cals, so you've had a nice 146 calorie snack--and gotten protein and fiber.

Just some ideas!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't think I could ever go that low myself! I have a hard time staying under 1500 some days. But I'm a grazer and I have to snack or I get headaches.

What really helps me is to plan out my meals the day before. I input all my food up to dinner the night before. I try to hit 900-1000 calories before dinner. So, if I'm low (it's rare) then I add a larger snack or more to my breakfast. I also look for dinner recipes that are around 300 calories so that I can add side dishes and not go over. If I do go over, it's always wine or chocolate that is the culprit. I know you are having the opposite problem, but planning might work for you too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I think y'all are right, I do need to plan better. I usually have the same breakfasts and lunches every day (I'm too tired in the morning to think about what to make and pack!), so it might help to add a hundred cals here and there to my meals that will eventually become habits too.

My intake averages around 1450 per day and it seems to be working well... I think I just obsess over numbers too much because I can only weigh myself when I go to my mom's place every month or two, so I can't really obsess over a scale!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

maegdaeien, if you are averaging 1450 cals a day, then I don't see a problem if some days you are lower...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote