Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 139/137/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Question about melons in FitDay

I use FitDay to track my calories, and with summer approaching, I've been eating lots of cantaloupe and watermelon.

Usually I buy pre-cut fruit in weight quantities -- 1 lb (16 oz) at the gym or a 16 oz container at my local grocery store.

On FitDay, I use the "oz yields" option, so 5 oz of cantaloupe equals 25 calories. I seem to get the same result if I use the "wedge" option: 1 medium wedge equals 24 calories.

BUT, if I switch to "cup diced," 1 cup equals 55 calories. I'm fairly sure my 5 oz would be more than 1 cup by volume, but I would think weight is more accurate.

On Calorieking.com, it says that 5 oz. of cantaloupe is 48 calories.

Any advice here?

Thanks!
poppins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The info I have from four different sources (calorieking.com, calorie-count.com, nutritiondata.com, and fitwatch.com) is that melon is about 10 calories per ounce. So I think Fitday may be wrong about the calories in 5 oz of melon. I would expect 5 oz of melon to be about 50 calories. Melon has a lot of sugar in it, so 5 calories per oz (which is about the calories in lettuce or cucumbers) sounds really low to me. I can't believe that lettuce and melon are the same in terms of calories per ounce.

I have found calorieking.com to be very reliable in terms of nutrition data. It's my number one source for this info. I use another tool to actually log my food, but for things like veggies and fruits, I usually set up a custom food for a 1 oz serving based on the calorieking.com data.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 139/137/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much! That's really helpful.
poppins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #4  

Hi Poppins3,

Here is a website link that gives many different conversions for cantaloupe. (remove the space from between the "www." and the "the" to get there)

http://www. thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/900/9181/Food.aspx

I would just pick the one that best matches how you weigh or measure yours and go with that and create a new custom food or edit the FitDay. I use the FitDay PC and love it. Hope that helps!

The closest match I found was one small wedge is about 55 grams, equal to 19 calories. So if you have a scale that would be your best bet to get an idea of how much that is. A cup of diced is much more. Diced being about half inch cubes, you would fill a cup and get about 156 grams. About three times as much and about 60 calories.
chickaboom is offline   Reply With Quote