Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #1  

Question Bad news, need advise.....

I'm scheduled for surgery on my right foot first on April 25th for fusion of my big toe metatarsal.
It was supposed to be a simple bunion 1-3 days on crutches.
The X-rays came back and I have a "drifting" metatarsal that means any bunion surgery would probably not work for long, making it probable that the bunion will come back. So instead of the "simple" surgery, they need to fuse my metatarsil close to my ankle, instead of just my big toe.
They will also do the bunions part on the big toe too.

I've been in a fog all day at the thought of being off my feet for 8 weeks. No driving, wearing this huge frankenstein boot that practically goes to your knee.

For 8 WEEKS????????
& that's only the 1st surgery, when I am totally healed they do the other foot!!

The Dr. says fusing the base of the metatarsal means absolutely NO weight on that foot for 8 weeks, that's why they won't do both feet at once.
The wheelchair is only for when the crutches get too sore, long distance and stuff.
And CRUTCHES! I Hates them! I Do!

I know I can order groceries online but GADS! I "should" be totally healed in 4 to 6 months?
Lord a'mercy! There goes my summer.
I have a couple of field trips planned for April 27th and May 23. We're going to try to do the 1st trip ASAP before the surgery, it's a guided tour with a mock trial and the State Capital. I was really looking forward to it.
The other, the Seattle Pacific Science Center, I hope I can go to in a wheelchair, cause me an crutches do NOT get along.
I'm such ninny when it comes to trying to balance on them.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!
I wasn't this nervous for childbirths or my gallbladder, I have no idea why this surgery scares me. I just like to be in control and having to rely on other people to do stuff for me is yucko!

I'm talking too much aren't I?
I'm nervous.

Oy Veh.

I need some suggestions for food hints.
I won't be walking so I really need to watch my food, what suggestions do you all have for shortcuts or things I can do now to make it easier for the kids to get me my healthy foods, not all the crud they eat?

I know if I'm not careful I will use this as an excuse to snack too much!
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #2  
Pudgy Mommy

S/C/G: 234/209/140lbs.

Height: 5ft.2inches

Jeepers, I'm really sorry to hear that you have to go through all this. I'm three weeks post-op from a hysterectomy and I was sooooooo dreading it. I have also broken my foot in two places and was in a cast for six weeks. Not exactly the same as you but I was on crutches and semi-dependent on help. It was not the most enjoyable time of my life.
For my recent surgery, I was very fortunate to have my DH cook for us and clean house and move stuff around, etc. I did plan on freezing a few meals, but I don't know how many meals you can freeze for 8 weeks. That's a lot of food. Crutches make for good exercise but they are really exhausting. I'm sorry I don't have much advice, really, just wanted to say that I really feel for you and I wish you well with the surgeries. Ask for help...favors...friends, family... let them know that you need a little assistance.

Best wishes,
-Miette
Miette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #3  
Back to the beginning....

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Just a think of advice about the crutches and wheelchair. They make something called a Roll-a-Bout that you set your knee on and kinda walk and roll the other leg along. Alot of people use them when they have a cast and surgery on there feet. It's not something that most insurances pay for but it might be worth it to pay out of pocket if you don't like crutches. I work in Medical Equipment that how I know about it. You might want to check into it or look it up on the web. I know they have a web site and they might be able to tell you if anyone around you has them. Most places rent them by the month.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Petra6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #4  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I don't know what you like to eat, but this is what I do (and what I would do, lol)
I buy those pseudo-disposableware gladware containers at the dollar store (tons of them).the 2.5 cup and the one with a divider in it..Make your meals before you get operated on, decide which meals you need super- easy..eg will it only be lunches? Are the kids old enough to make supper and have it healthy?
I get starch for b-fast and lunch, so I normally just do up my lunches in advance and freeze them. I cook up a pkg of whole wheat fusilli and a club pack of boneless chicken breasts. cook the chicken and the pasta..and portion each into a gladware container. THen when I want I can nuke it an the hard part is done! lol Add some chopped veg, like red pepper (or you could also do in advance and freeze with it), and drizzle with dressing/vinegar/splenda and you have a killer warm pasta salad..my favorite lunch..lol
The gladware are microwaveable, stackable, take up little space in the freezer too.
You could also do some research, maybe the Lean CUisine spa meals can do in a pinch and with a sale plus coupons it shouldnt be too expensive. And if you're crippled it won't really matter, you just won't want to be on your feet long..
Have the kids set up a station for you in the mornings before they leave the house, with a basket of fruit (washed), and a mini cooler with a veg platter in it, cheese, and a jug of water or crystal lite. that way you'll be getting up as little as possible.
For suppers, if the kids can or even can't cook, I recommend for simplicity's sake trying to think of meals that can accomodate them and you for the same meal. Way easier on prep, dishes, etc. They could have chicken quesadillas and you could have a chicken wrap. Grilled chicken caesar? Meatballs, basmati, and veggies? A quick and easy soup? You could get up for a minute in the morning to assemble the crock pot, and have supper in the crock pot every night..then the kids can do the dishes.

Good luck! That sounds challenging!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #5  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

Good luck with your surgery! I love simple meals so I will try and list off a few I like to do that are pretty easy to make. Uncle Ben has these 90 second rice packs now that you just open the top and put the pack in the microwave for 90 seconds and its all done, so its a really easy side dish (I want to say they're around 200 calories a serving, 2 servings a pack, but I'm not certain). There are several frozen vegetable brands that have similar side dishes, like green giant. I've noticed in the canned tuna aisle they have some packets of fish that just needs to be heated up, teriyaki flavored tuna and honey barbeque salmon, things like that. to feed a family you'd need a few packages, but its pretty much heat and serve. Salads are always pretty easy to do, some bags of salad include dressing and croutons even, and theres some pre-cooked grilled chicken strips you can buy that would be an easy way to get some extra protein in your salad. sandwiches are always a pretty easy meal too, i know its weird but peanut butter and banana sandwiches are one of my favorites, you get the protein from the peanut butter and the fruit serving from the banana. I usually make them with a high fiber bread to make them extra filling.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I broke my shoulder in February and am still operating with one hand. I didn't know I was gong to do this so I wasn't prepared.I can walk ok but can only use one hand.I have my son pick up things like Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice,Jimmy Dean, Slimfast, Yogurt,things that need no preparation by me or that I can microwave.Good luck.

i
I
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the ideas! I've been too busy to reply, but I want you to know that I appreciate it!
My pre-op is tommorrow and I have shopping, more shopping and some shopping done!
lol!
I finally had to admit that I really can't prepare for this. I have 7 kids and meals for 8 weeks would be impossible!
I did get tons of easy food like corn dogs, chicken nuggets and chicken wings, spaghetti fixings.
I also got myself a HUGE bag of chicken breasts and whenever there is something for dinner that I don't eat anymore, or can't adapt to a more healthy dish, ( like spaghetti sauce over broccoli instead of pasta) I'll have one of the kids nuke a chicken breast with veggies, rice and a salad.
Easy!
I also bought 6 chickens that I will boil up, bone-individualy package in 3 to 6 oz packs. Then turn the broth into gravy,(low fat and low salt homemade!) freeze that in muffin tins, and then finally make a big old pot of mashed potatoes (instant low cal recipe) in individual size too.
Then, the kids grab a baggie of chicken, a disc of gravy and a serving of potatoes, toss on a plate and nuke till hot.
Add salad, and YUM!
Instant and low cal comfort food!

YIKES! It's only 1 week away!
I'm still nervous!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #8  

bargoo, I'm having some problems puffing up like an Australian toad when I eat that frozen diet food, I WISH they would tone down the salt, dag nabbit!!!

I am getting Lean Cuisine Ultra Meatball thing-a-majigs though.
Too much sosium still, but I can eat light sodium for breakfast and dinner.
Thanks for reminding me!

Hope your shoulder feels better soon!

Last edited by aschenbrodel; 04-18-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #9  

Oh! Also, I went to buy some sweatpants for after the surgery, I had to buy them big so they will fit over Frankenstein boot! There is no way I could fit the boot even through the waist of the sweats I wear now.
You should have seen the looks from people as I held these big pants up to me! LOL!
I could tell some were just itching to say something!

Those are the ONLY size L pants in my room now!
And OUT they go after I get the boot off!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Yes, sodium is a problem and those nuked meals are boring but they work for now and are temporary, I hope.I love your sweatpants story I am wearing sweatpants, too.Ever tried putting on pants with one hand?Hope your surgery goes well.

i
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there,

Lean Cuisines can come in really handy, and although they do have sodium, they are not a high-sodium food. I think you'll be glad you have a few on hand for those days when you just have to eat something!

Gosh, what a challenge for you! I'm sure you are trying to get everything done at once.

Do you have some hand weights? If you can't walk or use your legs for exercise, you can at least use the weights to work your upper body muscles. 2 pound to start, 3 or 4 pounds when you get used to it. You can even use canned food as a weight, as long as you can grip it well.

I sure hope things go all right for you! Please let us know!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #12  

Jayell, I forgot about my weights! That's perfect. I've been meaning to start my upper body exercises again, but because of not walking much, I have delayed that too.
Now is a perfect time to start again!

Thanks!