Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #1  

Question Chips & unsaturated fats question

OK... just trying to figure out how bad chips are

If the label says it has 10gram of fat, then under it it say 3gram saturated, 0gram trans ... does that mean that the remaining 7 gram are all unsaturated (good) fats?
MattChanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Unsaturated fats, and "good" fats are not the same thing. Good fats come from good sources, such as the fat found naturally in things like nuts, or the fat in olive oil.

The saturated and trans fats are very bad...and the olive oil and nuts are good...but the fat you are talking about is sort of the "middle". They aren't good for you at all, and should be eaten very sparingly, but they aren't as bad as saturated and trans fats.

I hope that made sense.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #3  

Oh...and no matter, chips are bad.

They contain saturated fat, lots of regular fat...are high calorie for the portion size, and they contain very little, if any, nutritional value, fiber, etc.
There is very little in them that your body can use for anything.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #4  

Make sorta sense (unfortunately, lol).

I thought saturated fat was bad although 10% of your daily 30% fat intake should be saturated fats. Unsaturated fats are good or at least better. I thought the source didn't matter? I.e., 1 gram of unsaturated fat = 1 gram of unsaturated fat, no?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #5  

The sources do matter.

You are really trying to justify eating those chips aren't you?

*I am teasing you.*
Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #6  

Matt - 10% from saturated fat in your diet is a maximum, not a "must eat this much of it" rule. The FDA says, don't eat more than 10% saturated fat, it does not *recommend* eating any at all. The American Heart association says no more than 7% saturated.

Trans-fats should be no more than 1%.

Poly and mono-unsaturated fats (the kinds found in fish, nuts, olive oil) should make up the majority of your 20-30% maximum fat intake.

That is a good question, though, about "what is the rest of the fat, if not saturated and not unsaturated"? I'm not sure the answer to that one, I will do some research later.
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #7  

@SmartButt: wow, thanks -- I sorta misread that, I guess.

I'm really mixed up now, though. Here the FDA has behind "Total Fat" as goal to eat less than ... but I still need fats, right? My body needs it.

If 20-30% is the max. ... then what is the recommended intake of fat?

@aphil: <tongue in cheek> no, no, not trying to justify at all ... just hoping this will go the way of The Egg and that in a few years from now we read that research shows we actually need some chips every now and then... <blink>
Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #8  

Really, your fat intake doesn't need to be the same each day, if you are staying under the 30% mark. If you have 19% fat one day, and 25% the next...it all averages out. Some days we will obviously have more or less depending on what we cook for dinner, etc.

It is all basically averages. If someone is on an 1800 calorie diet, it is very hard to eat exactly 1800 each day-so having 1765 calories one day, and 1820 the next day, is right on.

Hmmm...while we are wishing and hoping, can I also hope that one day there will be a nutritional need for Peanut Butter Twix candy bars? A girl can dream, right?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I so love potato chips! They are my weakness. I can eat one of those large bags in two sittings. There just isn't any moderation for me when it comes to potato chips. Better to just pretend they don't exist......
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by webweevil
I can eat one of those large bags in two sittings.
Amateur One sitting is more than enough to finish the darn thing, lol.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #11  

Matt - I doubt you'll ever have the problem of eating 0% fat, at least not in our society's regular diet. Don't worry about eating enough fat for now. If by some weird chance you find your fat intake to be at 0% every day, then you can come back and we'll give you advice on how many potato chips you should eat

So there is no recommendation. Just a "not more than" recommendation.
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #12  

Thanks for the wonderful advice all. You really help cut through all the food-info clutter!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #13  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

i agree - amateur - one sitting

interesting things
NY has banned trans fat

have u tried olestra products - i know some people are grossed out by them - but when u need absolutely need a potato chip - lays light is right there to help you - and with half the cals of normal potato chips (0 fat and 75 cals per serving)
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bida View Post
have u tried olestra products - i know some people are grossed out by them - but when u need absolutely need a potato chip - lays light is right there to help you - and with half the cals of normal potato chips (0 fat and 75 cals per serving)
And I bet you never eat a whole bag of Olestra chips in one sitting more than once....

You might be doing a lot of sitting afterwards. Please don't ask how I know!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #15  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

hehe - two sittings at least I try to spread it cause otherwise there will be some kind of punishment

my other love is the sour cream and chives from lays - but I gotta make sure they are small portioned - else someone will go overboard.
bida is offline   Reply With Quote