Old 12-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Default Supersize Me

is on MSNBC right now (9:00 PM EST). It'll be interesting to watch this.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/159/148

If ever there was motivation to stop eating fast food, this is it.
Spideranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:40 AM   #3  

Talk about addiction - I've seen that movie twice and my mouth still waters everytime they show a quarter pounder! hahaha
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:24 AM   #4  

I was never a McD's fan... the stuff always grossed me out. But after watching this, I don't trust ANY restaurant... that whole McNugget thing made me gag. And the HAIR! God!!! I think I'm bagging eating out altogether... I know there is no hair in my kitchen and no sugar in my salad dressing!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #5  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

I love this movie. It so funny. Its super gross though. I dont like fast food, and this movie just supports my decision not to eat it. Can you imagine eating that stuff for 30 days!!! Yuck.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I watched the show for the second time last night (the first time was at the movies). Morgan decided he was going to eat only things on McD's menu. Except for a little in the beginning, he rarely drank water, even after the nutritionist told him to. He just kept ordering those huge drinks - coke and shakes. He could have done without the cola or shakes and still stuck to the McD menu. It was an interesting movie, but I think towards the end, he went a little overboard. Like Michael Moore, I like his movies and I think he has a very good point, but somehow he always seems to go a little over the line, disconnecting with some of the viewers. In that way, rather than just showing what can happen if you eat entirely of fastfood, he seemed to try to overeat just to prove his point. I know he originally wanted to try everything on their menu at least once, but after he had, he made no attempt to make the best diet choices from their menu. Had he drunk water at every meal instead of coke or shakes, I probably would have felt more comfortable with his conclusions.

I should state that I am a vegetarian and have not had fastfood in at least 6 months, probably longer.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #7  

I actually agree, and I'm glad someone else noticed that. It looked to me like he was getting sundaes & shakes a lot. No one said he had to do that. And rather than choosing regular sized sandwiches he was getting the double quarter pounders or big macs.

I am sure there are some people that do choose those things a lot, more likely the large sandwiches, but I actually know very few people who get the dessert stuff.

Even at the top of my fast food addiction (often 3 meals a day out) I had a dessert menu item like once every couple months.

I am glad that the movie showed how fat & salt can ruin your body in more ways than just the way it looks. I think it had a lot of impact on my fiance, who even though he's 20 lbs overweight, still thinks he looks fine and should be able to eat what he wants whenever he wants. This woke him up a bit.
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #8  

I noticed that, too, but then I wasn't sure if that was a result of the food having a cumulative addictive effect on him. Like, I don't ever include McD's in my diet when I'm feeling good and eating healthy, I only ever go there when I'm feeling depressed and binge-y. And I never get the "healthy" options, either. If I feel like healthy food, I go somewhere else. Even other fast food places seem to have better choices to me than McD's. But if I want junk, I am up at the drive thru getting the works.

(It's not something I'm proud of, but it is something I'm working on, the black and white thinking.)

I do think he went out of his way to prove his point, but maybe that's just entertainment for you.

And on the bright side, since that movie came out, they do seem to be doing more to promote their healthier choices, ESPECIALLY in the kid's meals, which I really really like.

On a related note, I was reading epicurious this morning, and there's a small blurb about the cookbook that his wife wrote. It's based on the diet she put him on after the McDonald's month. If anybody's interested, it's here.
tamibeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #9  

I believe that although the choices were bizarre, overall they reflected what the overweight American might be eating in terms of nutrients and total calories. There was no snacking in the movie so the shake might make up for the coke with dinner and the snack two hours later.

Also, I think he was trying to buy what people DO buy when they go to McD's. No one orders the water. It's like the movie theatres... they charge for the cup, not the liquid, so no one gets the water.

He also did this for 30 days only. Most McD patrons eat year round, maybe three meals a week, but it's year round. So for these reasons, it didn't feel so Hollywoodish. It felt like cramming for an oral exam.

As for Michael Moore, he just forgets to stay on course. LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #10  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

I believe that the entire thing made me wanna puke.

I so seriously wanted to be soooo sick after even seeing that.
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #11  

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForHope16 View Post
I believe that the entire thing made me wanna puke.

I so seriously wanted to be soooo sick after even seeing that.
Hear! Hear! When he woofed his cookies over the car window I thought I was gonna woof mine. Man, that was gross! And when he discussed the rumbling in his stomach... well... that was too visual for me!

Aren't you glad we're past that?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I saw it a couple years ago, and it honestly did not change my mind or perception of fast food at all--not even a little. I mean, everyone KNOWS it's bad for you--was it really necessary to make a movie about it? Anytime you open up a newspaper or magazine or whatever, they're telling you how bad sodium and trans and staurated fats are, and WHERE you typically find those culprits (fast food, fried food, etc.).

Also, who really eats there 3 meals a day, every single day? Even when I was on a really bad low where I was having fast food pretty much every day, it was twice a day, and that wasn't even every day. So OF COURSE if you eat that crap 21 times a week, you'll quickly become unfit.

I dunno...I guess it just seemed that I was saying, "Well, DUH!" entirely too many times while watching it
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 155/155/139

Height: 5'8" / Female

Does anyone know when it will be on TV again? I really want to watch it.
determined2succeed is offline   Reply With Quote