Old 05-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #1  

Default Banana Walnut Stuffed French Toast

6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
4 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
8 slices whole wheat or oat bran bread (I prefer the THICK sliced bread)
4 tablespoons I can't believe its not butter

In a large shallow bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs until lightly frothy. Stir in the milk and set aside. Peel the bananas into a small bowl and mash them with a fork. Stir in the walnuts and the nutmeg.
Spread the banana mixture over the 1/2 of the bread slices, leaving a 1/4-inch border uncovered on all edges. Top with the remaining bread slices and press down gently to seal.

Place 2 sandwiches in the egg mixture and press down gently. Turn over and let soak for a moment until evenly saturated on both sides. Repeat with the other 2 remaining sandwiches.

In a frying pan or on a griddle, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Place the sandwiches on griddle and fry until the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining butter, flip the sandwiches with a spatula and fry until golden brown.

*I made extra banana walnut mixture and placed ontop of the french toast in place of syrup, however sugar free syrup would probably taste very good on this. I made it for me and my roommates, and even the girls who aren't on SB LOVED it and asked when I was going to make it again. I ate one stuffed "sandwich" and was full.
Stardusterika204 is offline   Reply With Quote