Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #16  

Are these supposed to come out bread-like? Mine were like cheesecakes.
Thinigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinigin View Post
Are these supposed to come out bread-like? Mine were like cheesecakes.
I made them today and wish they were like a cheesecake but mine were more egg soufle like.
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 257/242/140

Height: 5'7

Smile These "muffins" are great

Came by this on a search engine (TGFGoogle!) and... I gotta say, these are a fabulous way to break up the SBD Phase 1 breakfast monotony. I did them savory, like wifey, and they're abs. delicious. What a creative husband you have!) My savory muffins were made as follows: (I adjusted the recipe for six eggs inst. of 4) I added 2 wedges low fat french onion laughing cow cheese, a bit of garlic salt, a good bit of pepper (for DH) and the rest of a bag of reduced fat shredded mexican blend cheese (so it wouldn't go bad.)

Delightful! And! They're quick enough to make when you've got a craving.

Thank you so much!
honeyspidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 208/203/140

Height: 5'2"

I just started SB, and have been missing breakfast (I teach and sleep in pretty late during the summer), but, as school is on the way, I knew I had to find a few grab and go options. Just made these today, and I really like them! They are a bit cheesecakey in texture, so maybe they will help out with my need for rich and creamy. I made both savory and sweet- both are great!
Amos Josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #20  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Wow, I wish I had read through this whole post before I made them - I would have tried some different flavorings in each muffin.

As it is, I made them per the recipe, just cut it in half so I could bake 6 in the toaster oven. At the last minute, I did add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (which may or may not be appropriate for Phase 1 as I couldn't find that info on the Phase 1 list) as I thought it would help them puff up better. I used "Pure Via" sweetener, 3 packets, but I think I could have used more.

They puffed up and cracked and browned on top - just lovely. They collapsed as they cooled and were definitely like little souffles. They were good, but honestly pretty egg-y (since the only ingredients are ricotta and egg, it would be hard not to be!). So next time I might try chocolate or pumpkin spice to get past the egg flavor... but I think savory would be really, really good - creamy portable omelets.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #21  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

OK I made these this morning with onion, fresh basil, oregano, garlic and Parm cheese. OMG they were SO good. They reminded me of the inside of lasagna! Seriously delish! Of course it does not hurt that I am so sick of eggs I could lay one! HAHA. Anyway, the texture was a bit "off" but not too bad, I am going to try throwing the mix in the blender next time. But all in all, they were awesome.

Thanks for the tip!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 166/158/124

Height: 5' 4"

Default thank you and sausage variation

DH and I really appreciate these muffins...Great for grab n go days.
Here is a variation I made and it's just low carb, not quite south beach: Add 1 extra egg and 8 oz cooked and crumbled reduced fat sausage and 1 C. shredded cheese (Low fat if you like) and 1/2 cup sugar-free mrs. butterworth and 1/4 C splenda. ( a little Mapleline might be good.) Spray 18 muffin liners with vegetable spray. Divide batter into muffin cups & bake at 400 for 20-23 mins. We call them 'Off-the-McGrid's'
ldch1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Tried this recipe with Cherry Jell-O and my husband really likes them as do I.

I will agree with the PP who stated these really ought to be eaten warm; while cold the texture is a tad offputting though not terrible.

We keep them in on covered plastic cake plate (the plastic ones you can get from Walmart with the snap lid for easy transportation) then pop in the microwave for around 8-10 seconds. Hubby adds a tsp of light cool whip (for dessert) and has to keep himself from devouring the pan.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #24  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadWitch View Post
I'm so anxious to try these muffins because I just can't stomach another scrambled egg. How are you guys storing the leftovers? Can you freeze these then pop 'em in the microwave? Anyone tried this? Does the texture change? I'm thinking of the savory route as opposed to the "sweet" muffins.
Thanks for all the GREAT info and recipes...I'm so happy to have found this site!
I make a savory version and freeze them individually. Then just pop them in the micro for a snack or breakfast.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 142/136/125

Height: 5'5

Default Not for me, unfortunately.

I'm not a fan of eggs. I thought the ricotta would cover them up but when they came out of the oven all I could smell or taste was eggs. I had to throw them out. =(

If you're like me and do not like eggs whatsoever, I'd suggest cutting the eggs down but I don't know how the recipe would turn out then.
akmilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #26  

I used leftovers for breakfast this morning... i had some onion, green pepper and cilantro, grated together from the night before. I had an 1/2 C kidney beans, i had leftover green beans and i had Canadian bacon. i chopped up the bacon, mixed it all together and cooked in microwave, covered, about 3-4 min. I was very surprised at how the flavors blended. I will make it again. i have never been much of an egg person.
linjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 132/129/123

Height: 5'5

ladies I made these last night and added 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed! They are so amazing and delish!
LoveSweetsCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #28  
One Smart Cookie

S/C/G: 253/196/137

Height: 5'8"

I'm trying mine with lemon extract!
jnmcelwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #29  
One Smart Cookie

S/C/G: 253/196/137

Height: 5'8"

Ok, that tasted like lemon flavored scrambled eggs :0( next time I'll go savory!
jnmcelwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #30  

Mine were kind of sponge like as well but I suspect that's always the case without any flour or baking powder in them. I made 1/2 savory (with caramelized onions, seasonings, parm cheese) and 1/2 sweet (with 1 splenda, 1 T cocoa powder, 1/2 t of orange extract and 1 t vanilla). The shrink quite a bit after baking (30 minutes) and are a little "wet" feeling on the bottom.

I'm not sure how to store them? Once before I tried to make a different egg muffin and put them in plastic bags and they were just wet and icky by morning.

What are the best ways to store them? Right now they are just on a plate in the fridge!

Thanks!
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote