Old 09-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #16  

Default Spelt Biscuits

Spelt Biscuits

*2 cups Spelt Flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup Crisco (could also use oil or butter)
¾ cup milk

Directions:
Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together. Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Make a well in the center and add milk. Mix with fork until dough leaves sides of the bowl.

Turn onto floured board and knead lightly for 18 counts. Pat out 1 inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

*Could also use WW or WW pastry flour

I used Crisco...The dough comes out pretty sticky...just used extra flour as I was kneading. I didn't have sea salt so used kosher salt. I don't know the real difference..but it worked. Makes about 10 biscuits.
laurenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #17  

Default Basic Sourdough Bread

1 1/4 c sourdough starter
1/3 c water
3 1/2-4 c King Arthur White Wheat Flour
1 T sugar(or splenda subst)
1 T vegetable oil
1 t salt
2 t yeast

Starter should be at room temp.
Mix all ingredients in bowl with dough hook until dough is smooth and elastic.
Knead on floured bread board.
let rise for 1 hr
punch down and shape into loaf(or put in loaf pan, it might take 2 pans)
let rise 1 hr
cut slits in top for decoration
bake 25-30 mins at 400 degrees.
Bread should have med brown crust and sound hollow when tapped on the top. enjoy!
woodfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #18  

Default Breakfast Bars

Breakfast Bars

2 cups organic rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or oat flour
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoon fructose
1 1/2 cups low-fat vanilla soymilk or rice milk (I use 1% milk)
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup mango puree or applesauce

Topping

2 teaspoon fructose
2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with oil. (Or use a cookie sheet for a thinner bar.) Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Using a wire whisk, combine the mixture well. Place all the wet ingredients in a large bowl and combine with a wire whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine gently, using a rubber spatula. Transfer the mixture to the perpared pan and distribute evenly, gently patting the batter into place with the spatula. Combine the fructose and cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool, then cut into 12 bars. Wrap individually.

N .B. The original recipe is from a Deepak Chopra cookbook. I have adapted it to make it SB compatible although I am not sure about the cranberries.
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #19  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Second Chance Pancakes

I named these Second Chance Pancakes because the recipe makes about 8 pancakes and you can save the extras for another breakfast by popping them in the toaster and topping them with NSA applesauce!!

1/2 cup whole wheat flour of your choice
1/2 rolled oats
handful of walnuts or almonds or a little of both
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp Splenda
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup of melted butter

Mix dry ingredients in a food processor (I use a three-cup food processor and its perfect). In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Mix together with the processed dry ingredients, then add the melted butter. Put on hot electric griddle or greased frying pan by the 1/4 cupful. Cook like regular pancakes. Eat with NSA applesauce or SF syrup. (I prefer the applesauce, personally)

Use all the batter to make as many pancakes as you can. Save the extras that you don't eat for another day with the directions stated above.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #20  

Those pancakes sound good. Will have to try your recipe Tech!

Does anyone use a sourdough starter? If so, what recipe do you use? All the ones I find call for white flour. Do you use that or the WW?
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote