How long after goal for skin surgery?

• Now that I'm at goal, I feel like I am dying to get rid of my extra skin. I could be wearing a bikini this summer without it.

I am planning to maintain for at least 6 months and do the surgery in Dec/Jan/Feb. I want to be completely recovered for a possible trip to Europe next June that would involve walking all day, every day.

Did your surgeons have suggestions for how long to wait? Should I start talking to surgeons now about consultations or should I wait until closer to my anticipated surgery date?

Thanks!
  • Hey Underwater! I had no idea you were considering removing the skin and I am so pumped to hear you finding new ways to feel amazing about yourself! Isn't it crazy? I feel like I know you from this site and I felt surprised to learn something new!!!

I have absolutely no knowledge about surgery but just wanted to say rock on, chick.
  • re:
    Why not call some of the surgeons you've been looking at and ask them? I've heard anywhere from nothing to 2 years. It really all depends on the dr.
  • I had mine removed 20 pounds BEFORE goal. I consulted with 3 surgeons. All 3 told me there was ZERO chance my skin would tighten up with time and/or 20 pounds dropped.

Jen
  • I would start consultations now. When I looked into a breast reductions, some surgeons had a waitin list of six months or more.
  • My goal, supported by my surgeon in February was 180. When I saw him last Friday, weighing 190 pounds, he told me I was good to go. So I will have maintained my weight for 13 days on surgery day. I lost the first 100 pounds in 9 months, 3 weeks, and it took 1 year, 9 months to lose the next 60. My surgeon also said that once I heal from surgery, I have a 10 pound or so window on which to lose a bit more, or gain muscle, or just a cushion. He said based on my height (5'9") and medium-large bone structure, I should weigh about 155, however, most BMI charts say I can weigh up to 165. If he takes off 15 pounds, I'll be 175-ish.

Chris
  • Thanks all. I've chosen 3 plastic surgeons on Realself and requested consultations. I'm interested to hear what they have to say.
  • The surgeon I consulted with said the wait time was more based on whether or not you had gastric bypass to lose the weight. If you did you need to wait about a year as your body has to adjust to how it absorbs nutrients with altered stomach.
  • Scrutinize those before and afters they show you! As well as what they are saying. I went with my fiance for a consult regarding his loose skin and I wanted to walk right out of there after seeing the album. The women did not look great and the men looked HORRIBLE. We also asked how much weight would come off with the skin and he goes "Not a lot. Everyone thinks it'll be a lot but it's usually about 5lbs." Excuse me? The guy has lost over 150lbs, the amount of skin he has would easily weigh 15-20lbs. Which is exactly what the next, competent, surgeon told us heh.

Good luck and congrats!
  • I'd wait about 6 months myself, only because I know me as of today. I would need to make sure that I was maintaining steadily before I went and tightened everything up and got the skin off. Then again, maybe taking the excess skin off soon after reaching goal will force me to stay on track. Nothing I have to worry about for a while though. hope your surgery goes beautifully when you do settle on a surgeon!
  • So, I know absolutely nothing about skin removal, but I just wanted to say congrats again!
  • I say the wait time to get surgery depends on the person. I've been doing alot of research myself in anticipation of better some done myself.

Personally , I'm going to wait a year (Dec 2014) for 2 reasons:
    1. IF I can maintain my weight for a year then the money will be worth it...
    2. Its easier for me to take off the month of December for recovery.

However Im going to do some consultations in Nov/Dec this year to determine my surgeon.