Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Fibroids

I posted this to dieting with obstacles but I didn't get any replies.
I don't know if this belongs here but...

I have known for years that I have 7 uterine fibroids. My doctor said that they are comparable to a 4 month pregnancy. Since they don't cause any problems, no heavy bleeding, no pain, etc. I have chosen not to have a hysterectomy since it would be elective surgery.

My problem is fighting vanity. As I lose weight it becomes more apparent that my belly protrudes. When I lay on my back I can touch the top of the uterus(above my belly button) and the bottom as well. It is huge. Because of the size, I would not be able to have a vaginal or laparoscopic removal. I would have abdominal surgery. My doctor said that he can work with a plastic surgeon so that I could have a tummy tuck at the same time, saving me the cost of anesthesia. Recovery time will be about 4 - 6 weeks. They say fibroids shrink during menopause so I'm thinking I can wait it out. I'm 46.

I don't want to take a chance on surgery when I don't have any medical complaints but I hate having a protruding belly when I am working so hard to lose weight. I welcome any thoughts or experiences you might like to share.

Thanks
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

If I were in your shoes, I would just have the surgery. They may not be bothering you physically but they are there when they shouldn't be. If insurance covers it too, that's another bonus.

I've never had fibroids before, I've only been pregnant so can understand the feeling of being able to feel your uterus through your stomach and looking pregnant. But if I had a medical condition causing me to look pregnant when I was not and insurance would cover fixing it I would do it.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Thanks. It will be covered by my insurance.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I opted to have a myomectomy, removal of fibroids but left the uterus even though I didn't plan to "use" my uterus again ( I was 42). It wasn't a bad recovery period, though probably not much easier than a hysterectomy. There is no long term downside to this surgery, once you heal there are no restrictions, extra meds, etc. I decided I didn't want to wait until they caused more problems and I'd have less choices.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote