Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/170/150

Height: 5'3"

Default What's up with Sizing?

I've been thinking lately that there is a conspiracy to make me think I am smaller than I am. I am 170 lbs at 5'3" and had a tummy tuck 6 weeks ago, but I fit into a size 6. This just doesn't seem right to me, since it seems like everyone who is around my height and weight is wearing a much larger size. I am quite proportionate with an hourglass figure, but I still cannot wrap my head around this. Anyone else have the same issue? Thanks.
SassySara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Vanity sizing can definitely present problems but mainly its just due to the fact that all people carry weight differently, even women of the same general body shape.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Eh. Vanity sizing and lack of standards across brands can make anyone bananas.

Try to just think about the fit on your body and ignore the label number. There's no fashion police checking tags. And I'd much rather see people in figure flattering clothes that not. Too tight/too baggy doesn't help anyone.

This may sound blunt, and I admit when I'm putzing around the house I don't care what I have on. But I have some friends that I wish would just listen to me and go up or down a size when dressing to go out.

The overweight chickie? Go down, dude. Hiding in baggy clothes does nothing for you. So you are fat. So am I! But it isn't like loose baggy clothes is hiding the fatness. We know you are still overweight. So go for well dressed overweight rather than ill fitting!

The regular size chickie? Go up dude. Squeezing yourself into the next size down just because you can squeeze doesn't look attractive. You look like sausage sticking out in lumpy bits. Go up a size so it fits your form nicely. We know you are regular size. You will still look regular size even if you size up. Go for well dressed regular rather than ill fitting!

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-25-2011 at 02:07 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post

The overweight chickie? Go down, dude. Hiding in baggy clothes does nothing for you. So you are fat. So am I! But it isn't like loose baggy clothes is hiding the fatness. We know you are still overweight. So go for well dressed overweight rather than ill fitting!

The regular size chickie? Go up dude. Squeezing yourself into the next size down just because you can squeeze doesn't look attractive. You look like sausage sticking out in lumpy bits. Go up a size so it fits your form nicely. We know you are regular size. You will still look regular size even if you size up. Go for well dressed regular rather than ill fitting!

HTH!
A.
Well put! My mom is very large, and I am always telling her to stop trying to wear clothes that are ten times too big for her... it actually looks worse! Alas, she doesn't believe me
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Maybe you are just more toned if you say others in your height and weight range wear bigger sizes. I would not say it is a vanity sizing issue in your case.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
My mom is very large, and I am always telling her to stop trying to wear clothes that are ten times too big for her... it actually looks worse! Alas, she doesn't believe me
Haha...your mom and I have alot in common...I guess. I used to always wear "men's clothing" when I was overweight...tight clothes made me feel fat...but bigger, giant clothing made me feel somewhat small. Crazy...but true! Oh and my daughter used to call me a "bag lady"!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-26-2011 at 07:22 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote