Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/212/185

Height: 5'5

Default Tapioca Skin

So I hope that I'm not the only one but does anyone elses skin feel like tapioca pudding just under the surface. It is so weird and I can mainly feel it on my arms and legs. BTW I have lost 100lbs down from a starting 315 and my current body fat percentage is at 39.
doinit200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Yeah, I had it before I started losing weight too.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/146/144

Height: 5'8"

This issue has been driving me crazy, mostly because I have been having trouble thinking of a way to describe it properly so I can ask about it - tapioca pudding is perfect! I think I've always had some, but now I even have it in my neck. I've lost 105 pounds and don't have many to go and am wondering if it will get better.

I read somewhere that fat deposits have collagen (I think that was it) running through them to keep the fat attached to the skin, so it's easy to picture how as the fat shrinks the collagen doesn't shift with it at the same pace as the fat is lost so larger pockets are left. So I'm really hoping that things will squish together again as time goes by. I can live with it everywhere but my upper arms and my neck. Of course I guess I will live with it regardless though, won't I!
Swiss Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/212/185

Height: 5'5

Thanks for replying, this is the second time I posted about this. The first time with no response and now you a fellow sufferer. I think it's also because my fat percentage was/is so high. I started out nearly 50% body fat! And of course all my thinner friends and family think it's gross, smh thanks guys.
doinit200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/146/144

Height: 5'8"

Well, since I posted this my neck has gotten quite a bit better, at this point it won't bother me much if it doesn't improve but I'm sure it will. Funny how much things change so quickly, I only posted that 11 days ago. Hard to wait and see though.
Swiss Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/145/135-125

Height: 5'5"

I'm new here...about the tapioca feeling fat, I have some of the same stuff! My boyfriend and I were comparing the fat on our abdomens, his is firm and hard, mine is jiggly and loose. He said it feels like grains of rice, lol.

I've read about this phenomenon before, and apparently, it's a sign that your body is preparing to shed its weight! From my own experience, I'll exercise intensely and diet, and for some reason my body will bloat.

My fat will feel extra jiggly, then it'll take a couple of days for it to go back down, and I'll feel much slimmer. You can look up stalls and whooshes by Lyle Mcdonald if you want to read more about it.

I'm dealing with it as we speak, and I'm optimistic that it's a good thing! BTW, I've lost 40 lbs through exercise and on and off dieting, Im 5'5 and my weight fluctuates from 142-145 lb range.
keep on moving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #7  

Yes, I have noticed it too, and it seems to be a transition period for my body. It's true, an area will feel mushy with lumps underneath and awhile later, it firms up and the lumps are gone.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote