Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Well Hello Stomach, How are you?

So I was JUST about to storm onto 3FC and complain that somehow, my stomach's been bloated up, yet the scale hasn't budged at all. Looking down at my stomach right now, it looks huge to me! Much bigger than it's been!

So I ripped out my tape measure, because I wanted solid proof that I've gained inches but not pounds, and tapered it around my waist (well, technically, around my bellybutton. That's where I typically measure). The number read 32. Thirty-two, I shouted in anger! Turning over chairs and pushing things off shelves, I pounded over to my computer and opened up my measurements chart, convinced that I haven't been 32" around my stomach since I was in the 150s.

Lo and behold, on my chart, the lowest my stomach's ever been, has been 32.25" (at 132lbs).

So WHY do I feel so huge then? Why's my stomach feel like it's going to burst? How come I've been able to look in the mirror and feel thin, but these last few days... I feel like I've gained a hump on my front?

My diet's changed dramatically. I'm eating a lot more now. I'm also exercising a LOAD more. And I've been on TOM this past week. I could understand gaining water weight. But the scale and the tape measure are saying that's not happening. It's so weird.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #2  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I know with me, it seems my stomach is the most stubborn part of my body. Do you think it has something to do with the rest of you getting smaller, so to you, your stomach LOOKS bigger in comparison? So much of weight loss is mental, and our eyes can and do play tricks on us! And especially since you're on TOM, you may FEEL bloated, but you really don't LOOK any different to anyone else.

One other thought...do you think you might be gassy? Gas can certainly cause a feeling of bloating, but wouldn't show up as weight on the scale.

Personally, I would probably wait until TOM is over and see how you feel then. The bottom line is....the scale and tape measure don't lie...so stop fighting them
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #3  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernExposure View Post
Personally, I would probably wait until TOM is over and see how you feel then. The bottom line is....the scale and tape measure don't lie...so stop fighting them
Enough said

Personnally I feel liek that when I am a week before my period or if I eatcertain food such as white starch or really greasy food. My body respond to these with water retention, swelling etc which make sme feel so HUGE. and on top of that, I usually tend to get even more water retention in the winter..

I dont worry a anymore, as long as my pants fit, im happy
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I have had this happen to me! I then measure my hips and/or bust. Often times my hips and bust will be smaller which makes my stomach SEEM bigger, even though it isn't. You may just not have lost around the belly in a while. In fact, that's going on with my right now. My pants are starting to fit funny because I'm losing in the hips and rear, but not the belly.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Well, I have ENORMOUS problems with bloat!!! I carry most of the extra weight I have left in a roll right around my stomach, but I've also had 4 kids, and so when I start to bloat it's absolutely MIND BOGGLING. My normal waist measurement, when I'm not bloated is about 33 and a half, but if I'm bloated and it's night time, sometimes I can measure 39!!!! Depressing, but true. And I workout a lot, so I have fairly good abdominal tone. YIKES.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote