Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #1  

Default Arms

So the only trouble you could say that I have trouble with is some fat under my arms. It seems, to me at least, that it's getting smaller, but I still have a good bit there. I've noticed a lot of fat around my elbow (above) is going away so I'm glad about that. I mostly do some exercises with dumbells (5lb) and push-ups. Sometimes I'll do the plank hold. Should I keep going in this direction? Has anyone else had success with getting rid of the loose skin under your arms? If so how long did it take for you?
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #2  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

You can build up the muscles with arm workouts, which will make it look less "flabby" if its loose skin (until eventually the skin shrinks, which could take months to years depending on the weight loss).

Or if its more to do with fat then you would have to lose weight over all, sadly, you can't lose weight in just one part of your body.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

About 6 weeks ago, I changed my strength training routine to mainly focus on my arms (I am in my sisters wedding in a few weeks and who cares about my legs - they will be under a dress... it is the ARMS that really show!)

So - the trainer at the gym set me up with some exercises that isolate each muscle in my arm. I have been using 6lb/10lb/12lb weights depending on the muscle. For some of them, I could probably move up to 15 lbs.

In just six weeks, I have noticed a pretty big difference. Firmer arms, a little more definition.

Don't be afraid of a little weight. If you can do more than 5 lb weights - DO IT. Women don't "bulk up" like men do (thanks to less testosterone - which is also why we lose slower)

Planks and stuff are GREAT. They work your core, too!

The firmer the muscles are underneath, the less flabby the skin will look. Lose skin is lose skin, but the muscles sure don't hurt!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

You will get better results if you lift heavier. But that said, while women do not bulk up, if there is excess fat on the arm, building muscle can make the arm look bigger. Lifting heavy will help firm the skin, and losing any extra fat will keep you from looking "bulked."

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 09-17-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #5  

Glad to hear doing strength stuff for your arms work. That's probably my favorite thing to do anyways so I'm happy to do that. I dunno I just love how it feels. Sorta like my rush I guess. I believe I mentioned I have noticed the fat above my elbow has gone down so it is possible. Veins in my shoulders are popping out more and they're more green. Never was like that before. Shrug. I'm going to start doing the plank and push-ups more. I'm now doing the push-ups where you have the weights in your hands instead of your hands just flat on the ground. I dunno why but it's easier for me that way and I can do more. Shrug. Since that's the case should I do them with my hands on the floor for more resistance?
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I do both small weights (in my Jillian video) and larger, with one arm bent over rows and pushups and triceps dips. I think they all help. Also started doing the rowing machine one day when the elliptical machines were full and that makes a difference too! Got up to Michelle Obama-arms level. But then...

I was up to 30lb on the one arm rows when I took a 6 week break from upper body stuff this summer -- I was living in an unairconditioned apartment away from home with no gym, and got prickly heat! Everything above the waist got distinctly flabby again, so I am taking the opportunity now to document the difference in photos. Hope to post with improvements in a month or so.

Last edited by bronzeager; 09-18-2010 at 01:24 PM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote