Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Question Having trouble adjusting to my size...anyone else?

Ok...So I have never EVER been slender, or anything resembling, approaching (etc) thin. Now I am about 169 (five pounds less than I remember weighing when I was 8...so my lowest known weight). I have just begun fitting into size 10's (I was a 12/14 in adult clothes when I was in 5th grade). I LOVE being a size 10! It feels so good to strut around in my size 10 Levi's, they make me look like I am a normal weight...BUT I am having so much trouble adjusting my mind to recognize and accept my new body...most of all to visualize and accept that I'll be even SMALLER soon. Here is a for instance: Since I have never been thin I guess...I am sort of terrified of it; Nowadays while lying on my back, my ribs protrude quite a bit, and I am totally squeamish about it! I get nauseous almost when my arms brushes across my ribs, and then I become a little scared of losing more weight. I must have HUGE bones, because how can this be when I am still around 30lbs over weight? Does anyone else have these issues? How can I get passed them? Thanks ~Sara.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/162/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Sara, have you considered taking a short break from weight loss and focusing on just maintaining until your mind catches up with your new body? Maybe once you no longer feel squeamish or nauseous and you've gotten more familiar with your new body you'll know you're ready to continue your journey.....just a suggestion
140bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #3  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

It is hard to accept new things about your body, but in time you will come to love those skinny ribs! Don't be afraid, your mind will catch up with your body. You will look at old photos of yourself and wonder who was that?!!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #4  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I haven't been this thin since high school (and back then I thought I was too heavy) and it's taking time to get adjusted. My whole life I have been trying to hide my 30-50 extra pounds and pretend I was normal weight. I am so used to scrunching up my body, sucking in my gut, and hiding my arms in sweaters.

I consider this an amazing adventure. I am learning so much about my body now. And I don't mind that I am an apple shape anymore. My abdominal area is larger in diameter (35 inches) than my chest (34 inches) and I don't care.

I imagine that you will learn to love the new thinner you, just like you loved the former heavier you. You are still you. And you are just as wonderful as before. Your body is a little different now.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I always thought of my newly appearing bones like beautiful seashells left on the beach after the water receded.

I have very prominent collar bones and they showed up way before I hit goal. I hope it doesn't sound weird, but I sometimes touch my collarbone, hip and ribs like a talisman and think "yes, still slim."

It did take me probably a year to adjust to my new smaller size. I am still occasionally surprised by a tiny shirt I pull out of the dryer, when I'm folding it, I think "this can't possibly be mine!" Photos also, can still be a surprise.

Lots of us here have discussed reconciling our mental snapshot of ourselves with our new smaller bodies.

But, if the way your bones feel make you feel sick, you might want to think about a little therapy to help you adjust. I definitely don't think you are crazy - I am a big fan of therapy.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #6  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the replies guys...I guess I exaggerated a little bit. What I really mean is that I wasn't prepared to see parts of my skeleton when I am still overweight. I associate that with being underweight or sickly. I guess its something I need to get used to...it's a mental block I don't need. It shouldn't take more than a couple of months.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I always thought of my newly appearing bones like beautiful seashells left on the beach after the water receded.

I have very prominent collar bones and they showed up way before I hit goal. I hope it doesn't sound weird, but I sometimes touch my collarbone, hip and ribs like a talisman and think "yes, still slim."
I love how you worded this, it's a very nice way to see it. I'm starting to be able to feel and see my hip bones ever so slightly and it's such a neat thing. When I suck in my stomach, my ribs actually stick out, like a normal person, haha.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
When I suck in my stomach, my ribs actually stick out, like a normal person, haha.
This, I think, is what the OP is talking about: the idea that bones poking out here and there is normal, not thin.

I find myself paying a lot of attention to "normal" people and looking for their bones and such. I don't know where you would find pictures of scantily clad people on the internet, but if you could find a few that you think look like a "normal" weight, you might really look at things--really focus--like their hips and ribs and collarbones and notice that they are visible on people you wouldn't call "skinny".
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #9  
85lbs to go

S/C/G: 233/218/133

Height: 5ft 3inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post

Love the way you've phrased this! Hoping I get to feel that way too someday!
FunkieGurl is offline   Reply With Quote