Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #1  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Default Losing weight after a tummy tuck?

If you have had a tummy tuck or any other kind of surgery for correcting loose skin, and you've gone on to lose more weight after the surgery... has it affected your results?

I'm having surgery in a few months and I might lose more weight after the procedure. I know it's better to wait until you get to your ideal weight, but I'm not sure what my ideal weight is and I don't think I will know until after the surgery anyway, when I see my body the way it's "supposed" to look.

So if you have any experience with losing weight after surgery, please share!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Sorry I haven't had surgery, but personally know 2 people who have. One friend lost an additional 8 pounds as a result of the surgery. They did lipo and the full tuck. She waited around a year after she reached her goal to give her skin time to tighten as much as it would naturally. She's done pretty good maintaining, but of course really struggles (as most of us do) to keep it off. Another girl I know had one done after having triplets, and losing her baby weight. She ended up gaining a bunch back when she got pregnant again. IMO you can't tell she ever had one now. She said the stretch marks are really bad after gaining 50+ pounds with her 2nd pregnancy, (only 1 baby the 2nd time around).

I would like to have one done at some point, but since I obviously have never been able to maintain, I think I want to reach goal and stay there for a long while just to see if it's worth it for me. I actually don't have very bad stretch marks for being as big as I was, I'd hate to have it done and end up with massive ones if I rapidly gained some back. (Which is always a possibility for me)
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #3  
Workin' It

My aunt had a tummy tuck back in I think 2002, gained some weight afterwards and you couldn't tell she had a tuck. In the last few years she has changed her diet, started exercising regularly again and has lost the weight back, plus lost below her tummy tuck weight. She is planning on having another surgery because where she stretched back out at the gain just isn't springing back. She has a lot of saggy skin down there now. I don't know if she would have had the same sag if she hadn't gained weight in the middle or not...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #4  

I have a friend who had one.Her MD will not do any unless patient has maintained weight for a year.Because statistics are so high for people gaining weight back after loss.I would wait a while.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #5  
back in the game

I can't wait anymore!! I've been maintaining at a weight much lower than my original weight for a while now, so I'm not too worried about gaining it all back.

I appreciate your responses and it's good to know the risks of gaining... What I'm actually trying to get at, that no one so far has had experience with, is... has anyone LOST weight after the surgery?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #6  
Meg

Hi Surf! I didn't respond when I first read your post because I was at my ideal weight when I had my lower body lift in January 2003 (like a TT but all the way around). I've stayed within a ten pound range of that weight since then, so don't have any experience with major weight loss or gain. My only thought is to talk to a plastic surgeon and get his/her opinion about what would happen if you had a TT and then went on to drop more weight.

Whenever you decide is the right time, I know you'll be so happy with the results!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #7  
back in the game

Thanks very much Meg! Actually I am intending to get a lower body lift as well... and a breast augmentation, at the end of April! SOOOO happy about it!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Woohoo! I am so happy for you. I can't wait to see the pics!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #9  
Meg

Wow, cool on both, Surf! I was kind of scared about the lower body lift because of all that I read on the Internet but it turned out to be a much easier recovery than I anticipated (I was back in the gym in two weeks). I would do it again in a heartbeat! It put the finishing touches on my weight loss by making me feel "normal" and not having all that flopping excess skin.

Even if you only take before and after photos for yourself to see, be sure to take them because you will be amazed at the changes!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #10  
back in the game

Thank you, Thighs Be Gone! *I* can't wait to see the pics either. lol

That is so great to hear, Meg, that you were back at the gym so fast. I'm hoping that I will have a smooth and relatively quick recovery as well! I have really been waiting for this for so long... the idea of actually having a flat stomach, with nothing hanging down, it's something I spend way too much time thinking about.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey! Actually I had my TT before I hit my ideal weight--- mostly because I had no idea I would actually be able to lose more weight!! I lost an additional 40+lbs after the TT and I do think it has affected the results a bit-- like it would have been better if I had waited but there were several reasons I did it when I did and I don't regret it-- it is what it is. But, that being said, the results are still fantastic!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #12  
back in the game

Thanks so much shrinkingchica, I really appreciate it.