Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default What Lies Beneath (butt talk)

Yes, indeedy, I was walking around with my hands on my butt.

I've gained some weight back so it's bigger ... a layer of fat. When I tense, it all firms and I know, that someday, I'll have a tighter, smaller tush.

But what about the cellulite? Is it just another kind of fat? If it is ... then (in theory) if your BF% was low enough, you'd have skin over muscle, a small layer of fat and it would be smoother, yes?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I don't know but it appears no matter how thin I've been I've always had a load of baggage following me around :/
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I'm jealous. I wish I had a butt. Even at my highest weight my bottom was still flat and would not come close to filling out my jeans.

As for cellulite-- I'm no expert but I think you can have it at any weight but I would suppose it might decrease a bit the more weight one loses but I doubt it would ever go away entirely. I think that that is down to genetics. There are contributing factors though, like age and smoking (I think).
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

I've been grappling with my cellulite lately myself - as I'm getting smaller, the nasty little dimples seem to be getting bigger - craterlike almost. The provebial "they" say you can't ever get rid of it but I'm having a hard time buying into that lately (since I seem to be doing an OK job of proving "them" wrong on the "harder to lose when you're older" thing ) As I understand it, cellulite is fat cells that have gotten sort of congested and bloated up with toxins - chica is probably very right about the smoking thing - Soooo, I'm thinking that the good, whole foods diet and plenty of water (and fewer ciggies) will eventually clean out and shrink those cells too - just might take a little longer
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #5  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

yoyodieter-- I love the quote under your ticker!! So true, and so motivating!

Everyone else-- I don't know much about cellulite, though I know I do have some on my rear end too. Cellulite seems to be something of a mystery, even to the "experts."
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #6  

I'm a bit reluctant to post this link because it has pictures! Serious buttock photos!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/carmen10.htm

However, the site is good, the information is good. It's about what I've been reading all over the net.

Last edited by srmb60; 05-14-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: so reluctant, I forgot to add the link
Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #7  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

I really like that link you posted SusanB! I have noticed that since I started to use the Nivea goodbye cellulite patches and gel cream that my cellulite has really diminished, even on my BUTT! I also do a lot of leg workouts at the gym so maybe that is it too, but I was doing that before so you never know!
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #8  

There is a lot of good information at bodybuilding.com. Common sense, you don't have to be a serious muscle builder to benefit.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I believe cellulite is largely genetic although I think you can get to a certain point, with a low body fat, where you would have none. I've seen women who weigh nearly 400 lbs and have no cellulite while others under 200 that have a lot. I have some but really I've never had too much. My upper arms seem to look worse in regards to dimpling more than my butt.

You could try temporary solutions like caffeine compresses or commercial products with caffeine in them which I believe help draw some of the water out and even up the skin tone.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Ok, I had to look, and about those pics...

I am an optimistic person but never in a trillion million years could my rear ever come close to looking like those! I clicked off the site when DH walked in lest he immediately feel the need for a DATE! I can squeeze that in later, but I gotta go work out now...I know my rear can get a little smaller and firmer, but it's still going to have the same basic shape and the cellulite is just way to attached to go anywhere now!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #11  

But if it's fat, it should go away sooner or later???

Please excuse my coarse interpretation but if I starved to death, there would be no fat left and therefore no cellulite. You'd think.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #12  

This is from the Glutes issue of Oxygen Magazine ...

cellulite problems lie deep under the skin and inside the skin's membranes. Cellulite is caused by a junk food diet and inactivity. You need to eat a clean diet, exercise vigorously and get plenty of fresh air and rest.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

So I can blame the cellulite at the top of my thighs on my kids goldfish crackers. You know to add to the cellulite dilemma, as we lose weight, the deeper layers of fat within our muscles are removed first. This leaves us with the cellulite beneath the skin that appears even more jiggly and loose than before the lose.

I'm counting upon persistence and consistency in the clean diet and exercise for those positive changes in my composition. It just takes a little time and that's the hardest part. But really, even if I were to find myself at a very low bodyfat % I'd probably still find cellulite somewhere.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well if you starved yourself to the point that you had no fat, I think you may be dead before it gets to that point I do think it would mostly go away at some point with a low BF% if you are prone to it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, since the majority of people in my life never see me without my clothes , I'm not worrying about it at my age! If it goes, it goes, but I know my mother, sister, and all my aunts had plenty.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote