Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #1  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Saggy tummy - surgery?

So I've come to a peach with my boobs, at least, but the stomach really bothers me. It's ok in clothes, but out of clothes, I just feel saggy and disgusting. I gained and then lots 50-60 pounds. I'm a starving art student, and it would be a huge financial sacrifice, but I'm so uncomfortable with my stomach now, I'm considering a tuck, or SOMETHING. The skin hangs down when I'm in any position but on my back, and I'm super self conscious during sex, because it JIGGLES, and I feel like I've worked hard enough that I don't want it JIGGLING. My friend said something to me the other day, that "In clothes, you look like any other skinny girl." With the unspoken being that out of clothes, it's noticeable. The other issue is that I'm young, haven't had kids yet, and probably will - so is this just a waste of money, if it'll all get ruined by getting pregnant anyway? And even so, might it be worth it to finally feel NORMAL? Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by improbable; 04-17-2008 at 10:04 AM.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/149/117

Height: 5'

I have this....it's terrible..it does make you very self conscious during sex...I just cover up with a blanket....I've had three kids...and would love to have surgery but just can't afford it...I've used creams, lotions, potions and have done every kind of excercise....just realize that your NOT the only one with this problem....like I thought I was
JustDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #3  
Meg

Aw, Bekka, here's a big for you! I had the same jiggly, floppy problem as you do ... the skin even floated in the tub when I took a bath. And it flapped and flopped when I exercised. So I totally understand how bothersome it is, especially after all our hard work. Don't we deserve better than this?

But you raise a good question about being pregnant after skin removal and what that may do to a tummy tuck. I don't know the answer, but perhaps you could schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon and inquire? Some doctors will do free consultations, a good thing given your financial circumstances!

If you end up talking to a doctor, please be sure to come back and tell us what you find out.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Bekka ! I know how you feel... I, too, lost 50 pounds and now have loose skin on my abdomen. I LOVE every other part of my body and I even have a four pack on my stomach, yet I still have loose skin around my navel. It is quite bothersome and I am INCREDIBLY self conscious about it and refuse to wear a bikini in public. It is also really bizarre to have a rock hard four pack and then some jiggle right in the middle where my belly button is! It just doesn't belong. At all.

HOWEVER, here is the good news: my loose skin is SLOWLY but SURELY tightening up! There is a chance that yours will do the same, as you are still young and continuously getting yourself in better shape. And as Meg said, you could get a consult with a plastic surgeon and find out how much it would cost you IF you really do believe that is the right decision.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

My surgeon said I wouldn't have any problems with the whole skin/muscle tightening situation when/if I do become preggers (I am 24 now and probably won't have kids til my 30s). Plus, I will get several years "worth" of the surgery beforehand and this will greatly improve my chances of finding a babydaddy anyway (just kidding!).

Last edited by shrinkingchica; 04-20-2008 at 06:02 PM.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote