Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Feeling in Skin

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem of if this is something I should be overly concerned about but I have a lot of excess skin in my stomach, thighs, and arms. My problem is I have a loss of feeling in the areas where my skin is loose, for example, if I have my cell phone in my front pocket I wont feel it if it is on vibrate or if someone was to pinch my arm I wouldn't feel it. Does anyone else have this problem? Should it be something to be concerned over.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I don't know

It certainly sounds like something you should see your doctor for!!!

I am numb in certain areas like my tummy and arms and thighs--- but that is a result of the surgeries I have had in those locations-- not a product of the weight loss itself.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd also suggest bringing it up at your next checkup. I have some numbness that the doctor said would improve with weight loss, or it might be permanent nerve damage. He said that sometimes being fat presses on nerves, damages them, or just spreads them out (so it's more likely to be able to find an area without feeling). This might be true in the case of loose skin too, but I'd ask your doctor to know for sure.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #4  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Well...I am not a maintainer...but I wanted to comment. I have some loose skin and it is numb. Not that weird, something is wrong kind of numb. I just can't feel it if I pinch really hard or dig my nails in to part of the skin. I think it is just because the skin was stretched so much it did get nerve damage. I am not too worried about it. If you find out for sure, let us know!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #5  
Meg

I didn't experience any numbness with my excess skin. It was just like regular skin but with nothing holding it up. I agree that it would be a good question to ask your doctor.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Okay, I'm sitting here pinching my excess skin - and I can definitely feel it. And haven't had any numbness.

So yeah, I'll echo my fellow 3FCer's. Sounds like something you should speak to your doctor about.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-07-2008 at 09:26 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote