Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #1  

Default Embarasing question

Well just got back from the ER for a cyst / infected hair follicle on an embarrassing place. This is about the 5th one this year and before I never had any. I also had a UTI. Which I also never had before.

I am starting to think the only common thing is that I cross my legs far more often and for far more time, than I ever did when I was fat. This is disappointing to me because crossing my legs was one of the things I was most excited about. But I believe that this is contributing to these problems.

Anyone else have issues with crossing legs after losing weight?
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi Ann - I doubt very much that crossing your legs has as much to do with these problems as you think (Of course, I am no expert - !) I am, however, VERY familiar with the hair follicle-cysts you mention - these used to be a HORRIBLE problem for me - and if they were, umm, shall we say, 'inside', they did often lead to a UTI for me if they burst (even if I didn't know they had) Sorry, gross, but I know what you're talking about!

I have completely avoided these by switching from shaving my bikini area to having it sugared - if you shave, you might want to think about trying waxing, or sugaring, which I find quite a bit less painful than waxing (I have it done - I can't be trusted to actually tear the strips off myself - I'd end up with them just stuck there forever - !)

The other change might have a lot more to do with your choice of undergarments - any chance that as you've lost weight, you've started wearing different panties/things? Less cotton, more synthetics? I've been told that this was a contributor for me to UTI's and, similarly, yeast infections. I'm pretty careful now about choosing lacy, synthetic thongs only for, ahem - 'special occasions'... Otherwise I stick to cotton ones, or good old cotton hi-cuts.

Just my three cents worth - but sure, it might be an idea to 'sit like a man' every now and then when no one can see you! -

Good luck!
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Ann, I have had cysts like that for a few years now... I get one probably twice a year. Just had one actually. I had asked my family doctor about it and he said when I get one, I should just put a hot compress on it every night, and eventually it will take care if itself. I have also found that putting a cream with silycic (sp?) acid in it helps too. He said they are very common for girls because of our shaving habits. I noticed I get them more with exercise than with crossing my legs. I think the friction and sweat combination is what causes mine. I try to exfoliate in that area fairly often to avoid them- I was told that exfoliation halps to keep the hairs from growing back into the skin. Try using a loofah or coarse sponge in that area one or twice a week and see if that helps to decrease the number of occurances. Good luck and I hope I helped some. You are not alone with that issue.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #4  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I know your pain! Believe me...I had the same thing growing at the very top part of the crack of my behind. To say I was mortified is putting it mildly. I could feel it every time I sat down, and it did hurt at times. They say this is common though, especially when you're overweight, and you sweat more in certain areas. My doctor, if I remember right, lanced the cyst and did a few other things that I can't recall right now. It's been gone ever since.

My recommendation....don't "sweat" over it. We can't help what our skin decides to break out on us, so just go in to the doctor, have them take care of it, and then continue on your merry way with legs crossed and all! Don't let this keep you from crossing your legs whenever you want to. Hope this helps!
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAngel View Post
Hi Ann - I doubt very much that crossing your legs has as much
See the thing is that I didn't have this stuff when I was fat.. (went from 212 to 164) not like now. And suddenly this is a massive problem for me. Despite the fact that I practically wear the same clothing and have the same routine. I also think it is related to sweat down there, but have no idea why that might have increased except for crossing the legs. And I just had one a few weeks ago on the top of my leg (inside) so that seems like a tip off somehow. And the severity is much worse. I had to go to the ER last night because this one got totally out of control in a matter of 24 hours.

I wear the same undies pretty much (I am not buying a new wardrobe until I get down to goal so I am pretty much in the old clothing that fits), cotton, and um there isn't a lot of shaving going on down there. I have actually upped precautions (taking baths) but to little avail.

But your comments did make me feel better. {{}}
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #6  
Mel

When I was having frequent UTIs years ago, my doctor told me to STOP taking baths and switch to showers only. In a bath, you are sitting in what becomes "infected water" and it gets into every crevice and orifice How about a shower instead?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
When I was having frequent UTIs years ago, my doctor told me to STOP taking baths and switch to showers only. I a bath, you are sitting in what becomes "infecte water" and it gets into every crevice and orifice
Ahh I wish the medical people would make up their minds. My doctor told me that baths would be better for the cyst issue and this time, when I had to go to the ER, I took two baths to get it under control and things just got much worse. Yesterday I even called a nurse from my health care line and she insisted I take a hot bath for 30 minutes. I kind of suspected the baths were not the best. I mean doesn't heat just inflame things and lead to bacteria growth?

Welp that could be it. Tx.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The short version: Try Head and Shoulders (or the generic equivalent such as found at Walmart or Walgreens) with pyrithione zinc. Use it for your hair, face, and as a body wash. This probably will prevent the cysts. Zinc oxide cream is great for flare ups.

The long version:

I don't believe crossing your legs, your underwear, or bathing habits are the problem. Usually UTI and these infected cysts are caused by staph or other bacteria. Nearly everyone has staph bacteria on the surface of their skin and in their noses. Generally your skin and immune system protects you from staph and other common bacterial infections, but sometimes bacteria gets through your body's defenses (either your immunity was down, and/or a cut or break in the skin...). The biggest problem is that once you get a staph infection, for whatever reason, you become more prone to them.

I was in a car accident and got a bad staph infection from my car keys digging into my knee and embedding some denim threads from my jeans. It was a tiny scratch and didn't look like a big deal at all, but I got a massive infection in the knee called cellulitis from it and had to be on antibiotics for several months. From then on, it seemed like I was always getting those embarassing cysts as well as infected cysts wherever there might be an iritation (braline, elastic waistline, where my glasses rub on my face...)

I went to the doctor for several of them, but while the doctor would lance them, or tell me to use antibiotic cream, he didn't really have any recommendations on how to prevent them.

Then, I got a nasty infection around my nose that at first seemed to be impetigo probably caused again by staph. It was actually seborrheic dermatitis (caused by the same fungus that causes dandruff), though staph may have also contributed to the infection (but it was gone by the time I was tested for it because of the antibiotic my ENT prescribed when he thought it as staph.) I was sent to a dermatologist when the rash reoccured and the tests for staph were negative.

The dermatologist recommended that I juse Head and Shoulders (or generic equivalent) shampoo with pyrithione zinc as a head, face, and body wash. Zinc kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

The H&S has been a miracle cure. It not only cleared up the impetigo, but my rosacea, eyebrow dandruff, occasional pimple or acne, and my cyst problems (everywhere), as well. On the very rare occasion that I get a little bit of eyebrow dandruff, or at the first sign of a developing pimple or any skin irritation say when an elastic waistband or bra rubs, I put zinc oxide cream on it at night, and it's usually fine by morning.

I've recommended this to my sisters (for acne and back acne) and they swear by it too. It's at least worth a try.

You might consider talking to your doctor and asking whether the increase in infections you are experiencing might warrant running a full "immunity" panel blood test to check for immunity issues. In my case, my doctors suspect autoimmune problems are causing the increased susceptibility to bacterial and fungal infections. Autoimmune issues are tricky to diagnose and treat, so I don't have a diagnosis, but I do have to have the immunity panel of tests run every 6 months. It's something you might want to rule out, or if there are indications of autoimmune issues, you want to have your doctor monitoring them.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330lb/165lb/155lb

another thing to try is Baby Rash cream - zinc and castor. Its fantastic on stuff like this and low allergenic (not to mention cheap too)
wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i commonly get impacte hair follicles...but they are usually pretty small.. there's a product i use that really helps keep them away if used daily...its called Tend Skin...its an exfolliator using sallicilic acid. But i think most of us get them. your not alone and fyi....i rarely cross my legs (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #11  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The dermatologist recommended that I juse Head and Shoulders (or generic equivalent) shampoo with pyrithione zinc as a head, face, and body wash. Zinc kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

The H&S has been a miracle cure. It not only cleared up the impetigo, but my rosacea, eyebrow dandruff, occasional pimple or acne, and my cyst problems (everywhere), as well. On the very rare occasion that I get a little bit of eyebrow dandruff, or at the first sign of a developing pimple or any skin irritation say when an elastic waistband or bra rubs, I put zinc oxide cream on it at night, and it's usually fine by morning. I've recommended this to my sisters (for acne and back acne) and they swear by it too. It's at least worth a try.
WOW!!! Hmmm.... this is very very interesting... I will have to make sure I pick up some H&S--- (and zinc oxide) seems like a miracle cure!

PSsssst.... can it help me lose weight, too? lol It seems to do everything else!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I WISH!

But truly, the zinc has been so great for my skin that I've been able to start wearing makeup again. For the last five or six years every makeup I tried seemed to irritate my skin or clog my pores and just cause more breakouts.
Then my sister suggested I try mineral makeup - like Bare Essentials, but OMG that stuff is so darn expensive. Though when I visited her last, she insisted on doing a makeover on me, and I loved the stuff - and noticed that the first ingredient on the foundation was zinc oxide. I thought Hmmm, maybe this stuff would be worth trying, but it was just too pricey.

Then, just last week I discovered that Maybeline now has a mineral makeup and it was only about $9 for the powder foundation.... checked the ingredients and the first is zinc oxide, so I decided to give it a try. I don't care for the color, I think I picked a shade too dark, so I'm going to buy a lighter shade and use the darker shade for blush. It feels nice on and covers better than I expected. It's nice being able to wear makeup again, and so far my skin has been clearer than ever. So yes, zinc is my new best friend (I still can't stand the zinc cough drops, though Bleggh).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I was just going to ask about zinc supplements.

Colleen, you have given me quite a bit of food for thought. I have a labial cyst. The dr doesn't want to do anything unless it gets bigger or gives me a problem. It's about the size of a half walnut. How much bigger does she want it to be? An avocado?

I'm going out at lunch today and get some H&S for both boobalah and me. He has the eyebrow dandruff.

I was looking into the mineral makeup as well. I've seen it advertised where you can get a complete set for under $10. However, reading the fine print scared me away. If you don't send it back within 30 days, you will be enrolled in there program and spend about $30 every 3 months! No thanks!

I, too, have quit wearing makeup because I seem to be allergic to it all. I had to return Mary Kay because I was breaking out and my eyes were watering like crazy! I think I may pick up some of the Maybelline today as well.

I have to stick to cotton for the undies because I get yeasty beasties and other infections. I would like to wear the other but even if it has a cotton crotch, I get an infection.

Ann, you haven't bought any new undies? I had to buy some. In fact, boobalah asked me why I was wearing bloomers. When I told him those bloomers were my undies that I'd been wearing all along, he insisted that I go out and buy some new ones.

Thanks for all this input and I'm glad I'm not alone.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #14  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
How much bigger does she want it to be? An avocado?

ahahahahahaahaha!!!! Tooooooo freaking funny!!! Thanks for the belly laugh today--- my coworkers probably think I'm nuts (and defiantely know I'm not doing work!)

I've had problems with them as well--- (actually just got over one a couple weeks ago). Lots of hot baths, hot compresses, and SqWEEEEEEEEEZZZING.... ugh...

there's still a hard bump there, but not the angry red beast that it was
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote