Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #1  
on a mission

Default how did you do it?

wow, i never saw this part of the forums before, i guess up until now i never needed it.

how did you guys cope with poor body image after weight loss?? i have recently dropped 75 pounds. i know im looking better for it! and i dont really see myself os overweight anymore...but , one thing i have noticed is i am incredibly critical of everything about my body.

how did you let go of your old self and embrace the new one??
paulym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

It is a day by day challenge for me.
Everday spent in my "new" body gets me more used to it. I was always always "fat" so this is some getting used to.
I still *feel* the same though. Sometimes it is difficult for me to see the physical change because I am the same person inside (well, actually I guess I have grown up a bit along the way and become a bit more outgoing, etc.) and since the weight loss happened very slowly, I didn't see big changes overnight. So, in some ways I still feel I look "fat" but that is really probably because I still look like me, only thinner.

Body Image is complex!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #3  
on a mission

"in some ways I still feel I look "fat" but that is really probably because I still look like me, only thinner. "

sometimes i wonder if this is a problem for me personaly, my face has changed but ultimatly i still look very similar!

have you ever considered therapy? do you think that could help?

congratulations on your loss, thats a lot of weight!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL - your post resonated with me. Why was I basically at peace with a 215 lb. body, but now my bat wings and "apron" bug the heck out of me?

I adjusted my goal weight from 140 to 135 a couple months ago when I realized that these would still plague me. I'm now considering another adjustment in my goal weight. Sooner or later, I need to accept that being 50+ and losing 75+ lbs. is gonna leave me with a lot of saggy-baggy. So, I'm still struggling with whether to move my goal or not. But, overall - I must say - I look pretty darn good in my new size 6 & 8 clothes I AM working on loving those "problem" areas. And, I'm confident that I will get there - eventually.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #5  
on a mission

hehe it quite mad isnt it! at 240lbs although unhappy, i was acctualy quite non judgemental over my body, but mabey that was the reason i got big in the first place..

id really like to find a happy medium now.

well done on your weight loss you will get there! i think skin can take some time too reduce but apparently it dose over time
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #6  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I think everybody has issues with themselves regardless of weight, and for me weight is just another issue to add to the list. We all have this idea within our minds that we'll feel great about ourselves when the lbs have gone and it will all be fine. But if we're unhappy being larger and want to lose the weight to feel better ourselves rather than being healthy its obvious there are mental issues we need to address. I think that positive vibe that you feel after losing weight isn't just about how you now 'look' but the journey and the strength you mustered to reach for a goal and than achieve it.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulym View Post
have you ever considered therapy? do you think that could help?

congratulations on your loss, thats a lot of weight!!

I am in therapy, and it does help but true self-acceptance is sometimes a life long journey........

And thanks!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote