The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 180/143/125

Height: 5'3"

Watching him win My GAYDAR went bing bing bing....I didn't really see it until last night, him and Ashley just bonded as friends He is Flaming....I am Glad he won

LOL The Beltbuckle should have given it away

Last edited by Meenamom; 05-26-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added something
Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 215/211/150

Height: 5'1

I was not impressed with Shay's weight loss. Unless the time frame is different, I expected more from her.
Koli does seem like he may need counseling. ASAP I also don't think it was fair to the other contestants for him to win the at home prize. He was on the ranch until the end.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #108  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenamom View Post
Watching him win My GAYDAR went bing bing bing....I didn't really see it until last night, him and Ashley just bonded as friends He is Flaming....I am Glad he won

LOL The Beltbuckle should have given it away
The boots did it for me. I don't know though after that interview about Ashley reminding him of his past girlfriend. Could it be that after being so huge for so long and never having much of a choice in clothes that he just liked that outfit?

I will have to lose more than half my SW to get to goal and I've often thought of some clothes that I always wanted to wear but never could. Trouble is that now I'm much older so if I wear any of them I'll probably look like a doofus. A straight doofus though.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #109  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
The boots did it for me. I don't know though after that interview about Ashley reminding him of his past girlfriend. Could it be that after being so huge for so long and never having much of a choice in clothes that he just liked that outfit?

I will have to lose more than half my SW to get to goal and I've often thought of some clothes that I always wanted to wear but never could. Trouble is that now I'm much older so if I wear any of them I'll probably look like a doofus. A straight doofus though.
This is true. I mean once after a weight loss I went back and put on the jeans I had been saving. Hello 80's flashback.

Maybe this what he wanted to wear in highschool.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #110  
Token Vulcan

The Sunshine/Koli relationship is confirmed:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15175610?nclick_check=1

Geez, this season must set a record for hook-ups and attractions!

Reading Michael's interviews and seeing him on the morning shows and finale interview, I think he's gonna do great. He said his new regimen is second nature to him now and that his weight might fluctuate because he's going to try to build up muscle. I'm not concerned about him backsliding at all, not significantly at any rate. Aw....and he's going to buy his mother a nostalgic car, something similar to what she had when she was younger.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 05-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 185/120; 147/156/120

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
The Sunshine/Koli relationship is confirmed:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15175610?nclick_check=1
Well, that probably explains the real reason he didn't stay home after he left the ranch. The article said that they were training together in Las Vegas after leaving the ranch. Since they were trying to keep their relationship under wraps, Koli had to have some reason for not staying home, so I'm guessing that's why he gave the other reason for not staying home. I'm still sad that he didn't seem able to enjoy the rest of the evening after not making it to the finale. He was so excited and thrilled before they revealed who made it to the finale, and as soon as he didn't make it in his mood went downhill. I really hope he can let go, move on, and not let it continue to bug him, and potentially allow that let down to affect his ongoing progress.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #112  
Token Vulcan

You know, it's been interesting and quite telling to read some of their interviews. Michael and Daris seem confident and committed to being healthy and maintaining weight loss, they talk about their plans. Koli, on the other hand, says that he has to figure it out for himself now that the show is over, like he's not really sure of a plan because he's been too focused on winning. I think I know what bugged me about his attitude on the finale. He was so into wanting to win and focused on himself that he acted as if the rest of the show was a waste of his time. He acted like he was waiting in a long line for everybody else to be over with so he could have his turn and then "go home."

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 05-28-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I have to admit that I'm a bit sorry to hear about Koli and SunShine. She has a lot of growing up to do, and I think she'd be better served with some time to figure out who she is as an adult woman instead of daddy's little girl. Right now, it seems like she's going from being under O'Neal's control to being under Koli's control and I don't know when she's going to learn to be under SunShine's control.

And honestly, if they were training together, it makes me wonder why she only lost 15 lbs in the time she was off the ranch. Don't get me wrong, for a "normal" person, 15 lbs in that amount of time is fine. But if she and Koli were together doing hardcore training, I'd think she'd do better than 15 in the same amount of time that he lost 43. It makes me suspect that their relationship was about her supporting his efforts rather than it being a true mutual partnership. Think about it - back on the ranch, there was a scene between the two of them about how they would finish 1 and 2, but of course, he was going to be number 1.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #114  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Darn, I can't get to the site with the interview re Koli and Sunshine. It just opens a blank page.
I tried to google up something about their budding romance but I am coming up with zero hits. (i.e. zero useful hits).
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 318/278/150

Height: 5'11

^^^ Here ya go...

'Biggest Loser' wasn't all about losing: Richfield contestant SunShine Hampton found romance

When SunShine Hampton signed up to be on "The Biggest Loser" with her dad, O'Neal, her goal was to lose weight. What the Richfield woman didn't expect was that she would find someone special as the pounds were coming off.

Not only did SunShine, 24, drop the weight — she went from 275 pounds to 161 pounds, and her dad O'Neal went from 389 to 230 pounds — she also fell for fellow contestant Koli Palu. And while it was revealed on the show that Palu's teammate and cousin Sam Poueu was part of a "Biggest Loser" romance with contestant Stephanie Anderson, SunShine and Palu decided to kept their budding relationship under wraps until now.

On Thursday, in between local appearances that included a stop at General Mills and the Mall of America, SunShine — with some good-natured prodding from her dad — admitted she's been in a relationship with Palu since just after Christmas.

"He's a very good man," said SunShine, 24, who confessed at the beginning of the show that she had never had a boyfriend. "I knew the way he saw things was the same way I saw things. I could really relate to him on that level and we both had the same determination and goals. I just felt really good about it."

After losing 215 pounds, Palu snagged the "at home winner" $100,000 prize on Tuesday's "Biggest Loser" finale.

Currently, SunShine is in Minnesota, while Palu resides in California. But during the time between being eliminated from the show and this week's
finale, they were busy training together in Las Vegas.

"We haven't done the long-distance thing yet, but we're willing to support each other through it," said Sunshine. There'll be a lot of phone calls I guess."

Her dad's thoughts on his daughter's new boyfriend?

"I'm taking the protective role," says O'Neal, who lost enough weight on the show that he can now have a much needed knee surgery he wasn't able to undergo at nearly 400 pounds. "I just want to make sure it's exactly what it is. On the ranch is one thing, but they've been off the ranch for quite awhile. I think they have strong feelings for each other, we'll just have to see. It's just a dating thing."
Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #116  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks a millions, Fairy!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #117  

Sunshine is also featured in the latest US Weekly. I unfortunately do not have a scanner but here is a bit on her current eating habits and exercise plans:

Eating: Then vs Now

Then (8,000 calories):

Mid-Morning Snack
Scone and mocha latte

Lunch:
Burger, fries, shake; later: sandwich, chips.

Dinner
Chicken Alfredo, later; candy bar, frozen pizza, ice cream.

Now
: (1,250 calories)

Breakfast
Egg white omelet with veggies, wheat toast

Lunch
Tuna salad with low-fat Caesar dressing.

Dinner
White fish (sea bass, tilapia) with veggies.

Exercise (excerpt)

To find Hampton these days you've got to hit the gym! She exercises six hours a day, including a 5-mile stroll in the morning, a group fitness or boxing class in the afternoon and a treadmill walk on an incline or a swim at night.

(Once she hits her goal of 150 pounds, she plans to scale back to two-hour workouts.) 'Now I'm like, Look at me! Look at what I've done!" says Hampton, who just invested in her first pair of skinny jeans. "I have a new self-confidence I take with me everywhere I go!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This season was the most I have watched of the show. I am happy for the 2 big winners, Michael & Koli and all of those who really worked hard to change their lives.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #118  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Thanks a millions, Fairy!
No problem.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #119  
WSN

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'9" (male)

This was the first season I watched this show and really just watched all the episodes in the last couple weeks before the finale on Hulu. I really fell in love with it, it was much different than I thought. I had never watched it because I figured it was just gimmicky and dumb like all other reality shows. And while I know there are some valid criticisms of the way they have people lose weight on the show, but in reality it is simply emphasizing on the most important things - exercise, nutrition, and emotional awareness. When most people think of fast weight loss as being a bad thing it is because in the real world fast weight loss is usually achieved through virtual starvation. However in this show, while they were eating very light, it wasn't dangerously low. I think it was Sam who mentioned the diet they had him on was 1,800 calories a day (not including his high-calorie day). His was one of the highest I believe, while some of the smallest girls are on 1,200 calories I think. The biggest emphasis on the ranch is on exercise, and I think that is where most overweight people fail the most. I've read over and over again that the biggest predictor of whether someone will both successfully lose weight and successfully keep it off is whether they regularly exercise.

Anyway, as far as this season goes since it was the first season I watched it is my favorite (I've started watching season 7 now as well since a friend had a copy of it). For most of the season I didn't think Michael would be the type of person who would keep his weight off, he never seemed to find a passion for exercise. However I now think I was wrong. He has put on so much muscle and seems to have fallen in love with lifting weights. It may not be as effective a calorie burner as running but if he sticks with lifting weights and can even eat moderately healthy he should be ok.

Daris was my favorite by far. He just seemed to develop more than anyone else, not just in weight loss but more importantly in finding a passion for exercising. I think he pushed himself more than any other contestant and I think he will continue to do so.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #120  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSN View Post
I had never watched it because I figured it was just gimmicky and dumb like all other reality shows.
It has its moments, lol. Particularly the frequent ad placements complete with bad acting.

Quote:
The biggest emphasis on the ranch is on exercise, and I think that is where most overweight people fail the most.
I think the exercise is what people criticize the most, as opposed to the diet--specifically, that it's a case of too much, too soon to throw obese, inactive people into hardcore exercise regimens. Last season started off with the contestants walking/running a mile and 2 of them were hospitalized, one for an extended period of time.

Quote:
Anyway, as far as this season goes since it was the first season I watched it is my favorite (I've started watching season 7 now as well since a friend had a copy of it).
Ah, season 7--Tara, Mike, the Ronfather.... That was the longest season of all, I think it was like 20 weeks. My first season was five (Ali Vincent's season). That was also the first season they had couples as opposed to individuals, and the first season they did America voting for the 3rd finalist.

Quote:
For most of the season I didn't think Michael would be the type of person who would keep his weight off, he never seemed to find a passion for exercise. However I now think I was wrong. He has put on so much muscle and seems to have fallen in love with lifting weights. It may not be as effective a calorie burner as running but if he sticks with lifting weights and can even eat moderately healthy he should be ok.
ITA. I've enjoyed reading/seeing his interviews. He did mention on Regis there's an inherited degenerative knee disorder in his family, so that's probably why running is not a big thing for him.

I don't know about the whole question of his being gay. Doesn't sound like it from the things he's said. Plus, there are a lot of young Italian guys who dress like he did at the finale. I think it's some kind of Arthur Fonzarelli wish going on.