The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #406  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I was confused by the way they DID the whole time thing...maybe the husband fast forwarded through something, but did they even mention anyone else's times? I thought maybe Aubrey ate a cookie for someone else, so they didn't make her fess up to it...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #407  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Sportmom...I made the graph on my computer and it works great. I can get 3.5 weeks across the top, I weigh in daily. Down the side I post my weight, heaviest at the top and I post my declining weight in 1/2 pound increments. As I lose, my connecting line goes down. It's very inspiring.
Quote:
Do you have this graph posted anywhere? I'm always interested in seeing what other people have lived thru while I go thru my own struggles. Thanks!
If the blue team is to survive, they need to really consentrate on losing weight so they can win and vote off Ron.
I was wondering about Aubrey eating the cookie too. Maybe she named another person to add 5 minutes to and not Tara. Did she actually say this is for Tara?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #408  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

yep, I to, don't get the cookie thing unless they could only use it against their own team memeber?? Which sounds very weird
Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #409  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Did anyone else think it was hugely unfair that some people got to run on an inside, cushioned track, while some people were out on the blacktop? It does make a huge difference in your stamina and with Sione's muscle pull, I bet he might not have gotten that indoors. It just didn't seem like an even playing field - I think they should have found indoor/cushioned surfaces for Sione/F and Laura too. I don't know how hot it was in the desert with S/F, but for Laura, even in Miami in December it could have been warmer than a perfect 72 plus humid. Running indoors for some and outdoors for other - not fair, imo.
Just my 2 cents...I would run outside any day of the week over running a half marathon on a 0.1 mile indoor track which is what Tara was doing. OMG, boring monotony. And it might not have been that cushioned. Also, outside, although it seems unfair that Sione may have had some slight hills now and then, slightly undulating terrain is acutally easier on your body than pancake flat, not to mention how hard it is to keep turning as small of a loop as Tara was...really unbalanced work for your legs. I think Tara and Sione's times were pretty impressive.

As for the times... I dont think anyone was really all that close...wasnt the next time ~ 2:45 - and then Kristin was almost 4 hours.

My guess is Aubrey didnt really eat the cookie. They've done that before - showed them taking a bite but then they spit it out and dont eat it...they did that on the earlier temptation. If she had eaten it, TBL wouldnt have let her just not fess up, it was right there on camera.

I think Kristen voted for her mom instead of Aubrey was smart. If she had voted for Aubrey and her mom did as well (mom cant exactly vote for herself probably) then in a tie her mom would STILL have gone home and then the alliance with the team is in jeopardy. This way she "saved" Aubrey.

did you notice when they first walked in the gym back on campus Laura was wearing a boot, but then when they were saying who won, she wasnt. I wonder if she is injured...shin splints from doing all her running on a treadmill and then suddenly running 13.

Last edited by ennay; 03-18-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #410  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

i think the runs depended on where they were at and whatever track was available and they made it look like they ate the cookies but only actually showed the one eating them..the others were doing some big talk but didn't follow thru.

also is it me i know the cousins and jillian had it out last week but when tara weighed she is like your working to much but when the cousin had a low loss she put him down big time for it.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #411  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Did anyone else think it was hugely unfair that some people got to run on an inside, cushioned track, while some people were out on the blacktop?
Someone who ran with Tara posted on the NBC board that the contestants were given the choice of whether to run indoors or out.

Quote:
I understand that Ron got immunity, but he has controlled what is going on in that team from day one. He decides who should go home each week - especially last week.
I haven't cared for Ron's declarations of who should go home but I don't think he was/is controlling the others. I think the trio, as both purple ladies said, have had an alliance from being Bob's original team and they were watching each other's backs. I think Ron was just stating what the others wanted anyway; I just didn't like the way he came across with it. Also, Kristen has been answering questions on the NBC board and she said that they kept in mind when they go to singles. She could have either kept the stronger players to win challenges but then they could have had their own alliance and voted her or her mom off...or they could lose challenges as they have done, but stay on longer and increase the chance of making it to the finale.

Anyway, it won't matter starting next week. In the previews, they are back in their original colors so it'll be singles. It'll be back to the yellow line again.

Quote:
Would have been interesting to know why the 2 brothers didn't go on the show instead of Ron, who is so injured. THey would have made a great combo.
You have to be at least 18 to be on the show. Max is only 16.

One thing that I also wondered about. I'm wondering who is coming up with the idea of showing the contestants at home in situations of the most temptation, just making things harder...the contestants, their families, or the producers? Helen in the Polish bakery--why go there? Ron & family at the pizzeria--why go there? In the bonus video, Tara's family had trays of Italian food at home....Tara was like why are you doing this to me? When Mandi got eliminated last week, she had a little scene with her son where he rejected the "fat food" (a few cheez doodles, maybe?)--what were they doing there in the first place? Either you have 'em in the house for somebody to eat or you don't have them at all...but don't make a contrived scene over it.

I was really uncomfortable watching the scene between Aubrey and her father. I think she meant well but to me it came across as badgering on national tv and I thought it was rather unfair for her and TBL to put her dad on the spot like that. She didn't have to hammer away at him like that in front of the camera.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 03-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #412  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Someone told me that Tara was a "plus size" model, Lori, so maybe she has been fat for a long time.
Most "plus size" models are a size 12. Any size above an 8 is labeled "plus" in the fashion world. I don't consider that fat.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #413  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4me4mygirls View Post
Most "plus size" models are a size 12. Any size above an 8 is labeled "plus" in the fashion world. I don't consider that fat.
Yeah, she probably has to lose at least 40 MORE lbs to be eligible to model plus size again.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #414  

Quote:
I would run outside any day of the week over running a half marathon on a 0.1 mile indoor track which is what Tara was doing.
My knee hurts even just reading that. 13.1 on a .1 mile track? That's cruel.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #415  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

When I saw them running around on that little track I just thought "That would drive me insane!!" Even running 3-4 miles on a standard track is pretty monotonous. - yay for Garmin Forerunners! :P

I also felt like it was wrong of her to badger him. I *try* not to be the person walking around preaching the gospel of weight loss to everyone. I know that I knew for a long time that I needed to lose weight but I just wasn't in that place yet. I know I would not have listened to anyone who decided that it was time for me to stop being fat but it definitely would have hurt me to hear- I'd probably have had to stop for ice cream to feel better.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #416  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin4Good View Post
When I saw them running around on that little track I just thought "That would drive me insane!!" Even running 3-4 miles on a standard track is pretty monotonous. - yay for Garmin Forerunners! :P

I also felt like it was wrong of her to badger him. I *try* not to be the person walking around preaching the gospel of weight loss to everyone. I know that I knew for a long time that I needed to lose weight but I just wasn't in that place yet. I know I would not have listened to anyone who decided that it was time for me to stop being fat but it definitely would have hurt me to hear- I'd probably have had to stop for ice cream to feel better.
annnnnnnnnnnd now i want ice cream banana ice cream at that
Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #417  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

i think aubrey did eat at least 1 cookie, but even if she put it on tara, it didn't matter much once tara had already lost to sione. it only would have mattered if anyone ate against sione that they needed to speak up. No point it belaboring the point that tara had lost. they probably left it on the cutting room floor.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #418  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I have to say I am glad they are going back to individuals next week.

I couldnt help but think when watching the weigh in. "Oh Jillian isnt good enough to train you but she is good enough to hold your shirt and straighten it out and help you put it back on you big babies"
Old 03-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #419  

S/C/G: 260/188/165

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I agree. Philipe totally threw a temper tantrum, worse than my 2 and 3-1/2 year olds! I'm sure they had it out off camera too...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #420  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
i think aubrey did eat at least 1 cookie, but even if she put it on tara, it didn't matter much once tara had already lost to sione. it only would have mattered if anyone ate against sione that they needed to speak up. No point it belaboring the point that tara had lost. they probably left it on the cutting room floor.
You know, at first I was thinking Aubrey faked eating cookies. But now I think she ate them, but ate them for Helen. She said she thought others were eating cookies and she considered Helen a potential winner along with Sione and Tara. I'm guessing she probably thought other people would eat for Tara and Sione so she focused on Helen.

Mike added me as a friend on Facebook. I sent him a message that he was doing a great job and I hope he's one of the finalists. He's also got a good shot of beating Roger's 144-lb on-campus weight loss if he manages to not get eliminated. He and my fellow NYer Tara are definitely my faves. I'm hoping Filipe and Helen get eliminated next. I dunno if Ron is gonna manage to pull another high loss again but I'm guessing whoever he may fall below the yellow line with will leave before he does...unless it's Mike, in which case, Ron will sacrifice himself.

That reminds me...Cathy giving it up last week kind of baffled me. She did it on the supposition of there being a tie vote on her team. But why would she think that if all along they've been saying Cathy, Kristen and Ron had an alliance? If Cathy hadn't sacrificed, she and Kristen would have voted off Aubrey. Aubrey would have picked one of them, let's say Kristen. Was Cathy thinking Ron would vote off Kristen, too? Weird.

BTW, did you notice in the previews for this week that the cousins are standing behind Bob at the weigh-in?

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 03-24-2009 at 11:04 AM.