Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 06:14 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2024 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 01-01-2024, 06:15 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Happy New Year (For those using the Gregorian calendar)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Testing status the same. Both of us are feeling more human.

Excitement was to actually leave home. I put on two masks and drove to a library that is known to keep FREE COVID-19 tests next to the front door. I stepped in; scooped up four days of tests for the two of us; and quickly left. Feel that I didn't compromise anyone. These will be the third brand for us. Not a problem - we both are well enough to read the instructions. They're not complicated, but they are very specific. I kinda get into counting six drops into the top hole on the test card. Maybe I'll be a lab technician in my next career.

The streamed concert was majestic, a terrific way to welcome the new year. We'd thought of it as the booby prize since we couldn't attend in person. But the camera visuals were well designed. Projected well on my second, high def monitor while I read the digital program on my laptop monitor. We still got to see the musicians tune up and chat before the conductor came out. Might consider doing this again. DW made the sobering observation that we may never attend a live concert again without masks. A new era.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Boring - of the good kind of boring.

onebyone - Your Boynton House Art Exhibition Space looks just ideal for displaying your work. Do hope you get it again next year. Yes, let's march into 2024 and leave 2023 behind.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - How convenient of the BBC to celebrate New Year's six hours early. Your lime-dijon-maple syrup sauce sounds great.

Silverbirch - Hope your wrist returns to active duty - pruning roses is a very personal thing not to be easily delegated.

maryann – Fun family visit. Glad that you had backup appliances to do your laundry. Would have been awkward showing up at your SIL's with laundry bags, LOL.

curlyjax - Congrats for being a gracious mom so that your DD can meet with friends. We can all use more green veggies.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Stage 5 - The Motivation-for-Life Plan

The following techniques will help you remember why it's so worth it to keep up your efforts.

Add more cards to your Advantages Deck. Ask yourself the following questions and see if they can help you come up with more cards to put in our deck. As a result of being thinner. . .:
  • What can I do now that I couldn't do before?
  • What can I do more easily?
  • What am I less reluctant to do?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 196.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Happy New year! I did go to the gym yesterday credit moi, doing 20 minutes of elliptical and then some weights. The gym had folks there but less than usual which was lovely. I managed to not eat until after the gym at 2:00 Didn't get much else done other than talk with DD for a bit. BFF wanted Chinese food and I pointed out that it was a popular night for that and we'd probably have to wait forever, so she ended up buying some Chinese apps at BJs, which ended up being quite heavy and not quite satisfactory. The rainbow cake she got was also not what we expected, but I brought it home as she didn't want it and I figured DD might enjoy a little. I woke up this morning and the scale said I gained 2.2 pounds-I'm assuming some of that is post workout water retention etc. I am still so full and will wait until i'm truly hungry to eat.
Looking back over the year I'm not sure what i've accomplished goal wise and I seem to have the same ones as usual-lose weight, declutter etc-I should come up with something fun too, we'll see. Anyhow today i'm waking up happy the holiday season is over, and thrilled that its nice weather out!
Bill-glad you're both feeling better. A new era of concert going indeed. Glad you enjoyed the alternative.
Onebyone- yay for getting things packed up correctly. Putting things away correctly is on my 2024 to do list too!
Silverbirch- I hope your wrist feels better soon. you have been doing a lot of hard physical and mental work, you certainly deserve some relaxing things to do!
Gardenerjoy-celebrating with the London fireworks sounds very fun, and your dinner sounds delish.
Maryann-I'm always a fan of tossing out sugar! It does take awhile to remember to write 2024.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today I woke to a big family conversation about many topics. DS is heartbroken over a troubled relationship. I am struggling with DH who told my family he doesn't want to live at the river house. He says he is only doin it because I want to live there. Life is too short to wait until he is enthusiastic about things. Sigh! At least we didn't get into a battle. I was able to let it alone. Progress in the new year. Also, we are discussing things as a family. That is the most important thing.

Started the new year in the 70s decade. I would like to end it in the 60s. I am excited about 2024. I will retire this year, DS will graduate, lots of opportunities and excitement. SIL was talking about Korea and Japan in 2025. I will have to put that in the books.

For today, I am eating an apple. Yum. More of that this year. I hope to go xctry this week but snow is limited.

It seems we all have decluttering goals. Let's clear away what no longer serves us. Wave to all.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:29 PM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Monday

I’m still being careful with my wrist - credit! The SO and I had a useful chat about breakfasts. I moved from muesli to porage in the last few months which has been great. It’s a lovely breakfast and it’s only 3 dsps of oats/muesli, less than just cold muesli. But if I eat it in bed (which I do to keep warm) I’m pretty sleepy within 3/4 hour. Correlation, I thought, but not causation. Then the SO suggested that the porage was leading to carb coma! Huge, if true! Actual causation. And I think it is. Now, this leaves me in a fix. What to have for breakfast? I’m set for the short-term as we have 10 eggs that are best before tomorrow (I don’t have to eat them all myself; the SO will assist). They’ll last a few more days beyond tomorrow and I’ll test them before eating. Perhaps I could start with a couple of scrambled eggs on toast (he's made some interesting bread with seeds) and see how it goes. We also have a hand-held blender here so I could give smoothies a try.

Decluttering - I’ve cleaned and will soon be releasing two landline handsets to our favourite charity shop! I’m sure that there’s an old school phone phreak out there just waiting to find them. The SO is weeding his books and has several boxes ready to leave the building.

Bill, well done on your foray into the outside world! And I’m glad you’re both feeling a bit better. The DD loved The Trumpet of the Swan when she was younger. In fact, I think it’s here in a box, waiting to be unpacked.

curlyjax, credit for going to the gymn! And for having decluttering on your radar for 2024.

gardenerjoy, thanks for watching the London fireworks on the BBC!

maryann, definitely credit for discussing things as a family. Hoping you can go xc before long!

onebyone, I love the idea of taking care of things and completing tasks! Credit!
Old 01-01-2024, 11:45 PM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Day 1, 2024

Hello Coaches

I whiled the day away. I made breakfast and after eating it made lunch so I wouldnt have to.make it later. I took a big ham from the back of the freezer out for thawing. I hoped it would fit into the instant pot but its too big. I doubt it will be thawed enough for me to cut it up tomorrow. The next day probably.

Today I drastically lowered my carb intake. Credit. And I made a tiny start to decluttering and organizing some of my art materials for moving over to my (currently) dysfunctional studio shelves.
I was unable to achieve what I really wanted. Maybe doing 1/2 only. Earlier I was disappointed about that but now I have decided to give myself credit for beginning. It's not a race.

Tomorrow I will do some more decluttering and clean up again.

Have a good night!
Old 01-02-2024, 05:15 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - French photographer Louis Daguerre takes 1st photograph of the moon (1839)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Testing status the same. We've been so long without fevers that the published wisdom is that we're no longer contagious. Have re-scheduled Christmas eve dinner for this coming Saturday. That feels good. Our kids and grands are excited that it'll finally happen.

Accomplishment was submitting my list of desired adult-ed courses for next semester. One is encouraged to make their list long with alternatives since, once submitted, allocation to classes is done by an algorithm. Many classes are over requested so that allocation is random. The algorithm looks to your alternative requests. There are some weird courses at the bottom of my list, LOL. It takes me a while to come to accept that I may or may not get what I want. My inner two-year-old rears up with, "I WANT IT!"

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was "Puerto Rican Beans" from the stash of frozen meals that were Christmas gift from DS and DIL. We didn't fully identify all the contents nor all the spices - suspect potatoes and olives. Can't wait to ask them this weekend.

onebyone - Kudos for "give myself credit for beginning. It's not a race." I need to be reminded of that. Fun thought that a big ham is thawing to become a few meals.

Silverbirch - Good luck with ten eggs that want to be consumed right now. Thanks for reminding me that I can introduce E. B. White books to my grands. Continue to admire that your decluttering just keeps happening.

maryann – Sending my sympathy to your DS for a troubled relationship. It can be so difficult as a young adult. Wish you well having enough enthusiasm for two.

curlyjax - Smart that you'll "wait until I'm truly hungry to eat." I find it so easy to eat because I see food.

Readers -
Quote:
The following techniques will help you remember why it's so worth it to keep up your efforts.

As a result of being thinner. . .:
  • Which activities/experiences do I get greater satisfaction from?
  • When do I feel less conscious?
  • When do I feel less guilty?
Old 01-02-2024, 08:14 AM   #8  

Yesterday consisted of grocery shopping and then food chores; dismantling the rotisserie chicken (which is a lot easier and fruitful when its still warm) making salmon, broccoli and spinach for dinner plus lazily defrosting pre-made rice, and helping DD with some food prep as today she has 3 12 hour shifts in a row. My hip wasn't any worse the day after the gym so I see that as a good sign. My plan is to shoot for 3 times a week. Food was the healthy stuff as above plus the caloric rainbow cake of the day before, doused in liquer to improve it. I need to focus on lowering cholesterol not just weight loss as another way to keep away from sugar. I have one more container of frozen oatmeal left for breakfast today, and i've made my salad with leftover salmon so i'm good to go. I tend to try to do too much in the kitchen at once, so had to let go of making zucchini lasagna last night- i'll get to it either today or tomorrow.
I slept terribly waking up multiple times and too many dreams, its going to be a long day.
Bill-fingers crossed you get what you want for your classes-great way to start the new year with that to look forward to.
Onebyone-yay for reducing carb intake, that really helps for me too. Bit by bit for decluttering is the way to go.
Silverbirch- thanks for the link about phone phreaking, I had no idea! Makes sense the Apple founders were in on it.
Maryann-oh dear for the family conversations, but as you said its great you're able to discuss it. I had to drag DH along on some house decisions which he later agreed were good ideas
Old 01-02-2024, 10:47 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday's credit was to walk to Walgreens to pick up our New Years Photo Cards rather than drive. I would like to do that more often - just walk instead of drive. I don't live in such a neighborhood as BBE but there are several walkable locations. Food was so so. I had a terrible headache all day along with eye issues. I thought for sure I was developing migraines. Of course I googled all that could possibly be wrong. In the end I let it go, turned off electronics and worked on holiday cards. it has been so long since we have done them I had to do some deep recon to get new addresses.

Today I am going down to the river house for some exercise gardening. The deep family discussion was about moving there. DH doesn't want to live there and doesn't want to talk about living there because of some tricky financial issues. He wants to renovate and then see what happens. This is a huge issue in our relationship. I work on words, he works on actions. I want to talk about everything or else I feel very lonely - in things by myself. It was my solitary enthusiasm that pushed him to major things like, I don't know, getting married, having a baby and buying the cabin in Truckee. He adores all of them but it was a long haul. I don't feel like doing that with this. I'd rather not move to the river house than be excited by myself for 2 years.

We have decided to not decide for awhile. I will look at the River house as crossfit exercise. I will be exicted about other things coming up like skiing in Banff and the Cayman islands in Spring. No use future tripping.

Onebyone: i am cleaning out my room for retirement in six months. It feels good to release. my best trick is to set the timer for 15 minutes. I can do anything for 15 mins. Often I keep going once I am started.
Curly: Credit DH for picking the chicken. i can't stand doing that.
Silverbirch: I make the homemade yoghurt with nuts and fruits. Amazingly filling.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:54 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

I weirdly got into holiday eating mode on New Year's Day. It wasn't a lot, but different than the plan. I know the plan works, so I'm getting back to that today.

Part of the problem is that I'm experiencing more hunger than I want. I tolerated that the week or so after the tooth extraction, but it's become more of a struggle since then. I'm working to reframe "I'm hungry" to "I feel lighter." Lighter does feel good.

Exercise: 65, 65/1800 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: I'm glad that the symptoms have decreased, and that science says you can plan on you postponed Christmas celebration.

onebyone: "It's not a race" is so helpful. Cultivating patience is something I want to work on to reduce anxiety and increase consistency (which is the only thing that's going to work, anyway).

silverbirch: I hope that your breakfast experiment goes well.

maryann: Good for you for focusing on the things that you can control.

curlyjax: I'm glad that the hip didn't get worse from your workout. Exercise is so good for other things.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:02 PM   #11  
in development

Default Tuesday

Back to the drawing board for breakfast, it seems. Scrambled egg on toast isn’t a good breakfast for me as it takes too much organisation and concentration than I want to deploy in the morning. And I still wanted to go to sleep afterwards. My new thought is that I might benefit from having a walk in the morning before breakfast. I do so much better if I can get out of the house (and so much less well if I’m in the house). So a walk might set me up for the day. I’ll give it a go in the morning.

Decluttering - I carried a box of maps to one of the charity book shops in my rucksack. This is now called, apparently, “rucking”. Nike explains that it’s “simply walking or hiking while carrying a weighted rucksack or backpack. It's a staple of international military training, as soldiers must be able to carry weapons, food and other supplies for long distances, according to a 2010 paper in the Australian Army Journal. Walking with a weighted pack can be beneficial for active civilians, too. … an accessible way to build strength and improve endurance.” So I’ll be training as an active civilian for a while as there are books to go, parking isn’t great near the charity bookshops and I’m looking for training opportunities. For information, think of almost anything at all and we probably have more than one of them. Glue sticks, measuring tapes, pairs of binoculars etc etc.

Six eggs to go …

onebyone, oh, I do agree that “it’s not a race”. Moving anything out is a big win, in my book.

Bill, how thrilling to have the Christmas Eve dinner back in the diary!

curlyjax, that’s great to have some food already prepared. I do like the gymn idea. Three times a week means you’re an athlete, no argument.

maryann, how do you make your yoghourt? When I used to make it, I either put it in a covered bowl in the airing cupboard or in a thermos flask. Credit for thinking about walkable locations.

gardenerjoy, good going on reframing feeling hungry to feeling lighter. I could work on that.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:13 AM   #12  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Persistence

Hi Coaches

I followed my food plan today=
I ate low carb. I cooked from scratch
I ate twice. I finished early in the day. I drank water.

I cleaned today=
I did dishes twice. The sink is now empty.and there are no dirty dishes to wake up to.

I did not declutter.
I did not intentionally move my body.
I slept a lot again..
That's welcome as I'm getting over this cold.

Tomorrow I have a 9:30am dentist appointment
Im gerting a full.check up. I scheduled it because I thought I was going to get radiation treatment but it turned out I got sent a notice to attend a zoom education class about radiation therapy by mistake (!). So when I got the notice I deep-dived into Dr Google's medical files and one thing it said was to take care of dental issues before you get radiation. So thats when I made the appointment. I still dont know what kind of treatment I will get. Still dont know why my lymphnode on the right side of my face is still swelling. I have an appointment with the oncologist on the 8th so I will find out then. If I dont I will forcefully push the issue re: treatment plan (even though I secretly wish it would all go away).

Tomorrow I am going to see what kind of counselling is offered by Sunnybrook. Ive been mulling this over and Im going to look into it. They have a department dedicated to it and I could use the support especially as I face treatment, whatever it is. I am just bracing myself for that January 8th appointment. Meanwhile I am calling on all my self.soothing skills except food. Food cant fix this. Too much food makes this worse on every level.
I am choosing to practice health and self care in all things in 2024.

That's all for today.
I'm going to try to sleep in the bed now. Neck is a bit swollen but I think Ill be able to.sleep.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-03-2024 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:56 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs incorporate Apple Computer, Inc (1977)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Tested NEGATIVE for COVID-19. So happy. Knew that it had to come at some time, but was losing hope that it'd happen soon.

Rather buoyed, I walked, CREDIT moi, to the drug store for an errand. Stayed snugly behind my mask; stared at every person wondering if they were contagious; experiencing a new level of paranoia. Walked briskly through the store believing that it couldn't catch me when I'm moving. Didn't even pause at the BOGO Christmas candy prominent near the front door. We who test NEGATIVE aren't tempted by such. Was prancing about like one of the chosen.

Many houses along the way had put their discarded Christmas tree to the curb to be recycled by the city. Normally, we'd be in that group but we're keeping ours up for our "Christmas Eve" dinner this Saturday. So far, it's little needles are hanging on. Dread the thought of a major drop the night before the family comes over.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled salmon; DW had felt well enough to trot off to Whole Foods to get it.

onebyone - "Persistence" is certainly a proper word to describe your response to need for radiation. So smart to get a professional to talk with about your options and feelings about them. Kudos for "Food cant fix this."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Will have to steal "I feel lighter." Anything to trick the brain that food is not the answer.

Silverbirch - So exciting that you're now "rucking" - training for combat to defend the homeland should the French decide to attack again. I tried to understand that Fishguard thing with little success; can only conclude that you also need to be wearing a long red coat.

maryann – Googling for medical information can be a bummer; smart move to turn off all electronics to rest your brain. I wish you and your DH well figuring out the River House.

curlyjax - Do hope the hospital doesn't exhaust your DD into souring on a career in nursing. Thanks for the tip to dismantle a rotisserie chicken while still warm. Wish you well getting your sleep back on track.

Readers -
Quote:

As a result of being thinner. . .:
  • When do I feel less anxious?
  • When do I feel less embarrassment?
  • When do I feel better about myself?
Old 01-03-2024, 08:15 AM   #14  

Quick wave, I'm exhausted and cranky. Up late with DD due to her not dealing with choosing health insurance to the literal last minute even though she had a month to do it, without having the information on hand so i'm not totally sure what she chose. And a big kerfuffle ensued due to ongoing communication issues and inflexibility of one party (not me). It was late at night so I didn't eat over it anyhow. I did fairly well with food; made my zuchini lasagna with turkey meat sauce, ate my lunch I brought; only veered off with a handful of choc chips and a piece of cake.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:54 AM   #15  

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday turned into a nice day. We decided to head up to Tahoe. There is a SERIOUS snow drought going on. But last night we got about 4 inches. Woke up to a white winter. beautiful. Food was unusual. I agreed to cheeseburger at fast food restaurant. That is maybe once a year for me. The restaurant was cold and smelled of disinfectant. they got my order wrong twice. But Dh was happy as a clam so I call it a win.

Exercise today will be a walk when I get home to the valley.

I mailed 70 New Years cards yesterday. I had to do quite a bit of revised addressing it had been so long. Credit for reconnecting with distant family.

Curly: It is certainly an adjustment living with adult children.
onebyone: excellent to find self soothing that doesn't involve food.
BBE: Glad yu are out and about. How is DW?
Silverbirch: I use my instapot to make yoghurt and then strain it with paper towels overnight. Super rich. 1 gallon of 2% milk. The cooker boils it. Let the temp drop to 100 degrees. add 4 T of a plain yoghurt for the store. Turn pot to low for 8 hours. Lots of people do it in the slow cooker.
Closed Thread