Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 09-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - The Boston subway is 1st underground rapid transit in North America (1897)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Yikes! I did it. I've been craving fried chicken for several months - ever since the Popeye Chicken Sandwich introduction where lines formed around the block and riots occurred when outlets ran out. I searched for all fried chicken nearby. Discovered, yet again, that many restaurants are closed on Mondays and I was searching on Monday. Finally settled on good ol' KFC even though I'd have to drive to get there. Torn between a bucket of 8 pieces and the same for $3 more including cole slaw, 4 biscuits, and 2 mashed potatoes and gravy. I can't stand the thought of their mashed potatoes and gravy. The biscuits would be a challenge, but I could save them for breakfast. Ignoring that lard infused biscuits weren't healthy at breakfast either. Settled for the chicken only. To my surprise, I was back in the kitchen in 30 minutes after driving some 3.9 miles and negotiating the drive through only waiting behind one car - a Maserati. Surprised to learn that that's where Maserati folks get their dinner. Thanked the anonymous voice behind the speaker for being there for us. "No problem." Winced, once again, that "You're welcome" is no longer the response to "Thanks."

Dinner was KFC on the patio with cuke salad, green salad, and collard greens. DW declared it to be a southern meal, LOL. One breast and one wing assuredly put me over calories for the day. Ouch! But my urge is satisfied, and we have chicken enough for at least one more meal for two in the fridge.

I went closet shopping and put on a neat red corduroy shirt a size smaller than what I've been wearing that was a favorite some seven years ago. Feels super. I forget that clothes draping over my body don't feel good - they just fail to feel tight. A bit miffed that corduroy was required against the chill in August. CREDIT moi for that NSV.

onebyone - Hope your car issues turns out to be simple. I recognize the notion of an emotional cost for changing plans.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - So jealous of your curbside library pick-up - just because I miss my library visits. A nearby library just sent an email offering a bag of books of a specified genre for those who don't know what they want and miss browsing. Might try that for new books for the DGD.

maryann - Thank you and all the teachers of the world for the long weekends of work catching up. Thanks for the reminder to sit while eating.

Karen (karenrn) - Yes, remember that providers can lose their minds from too much caring. Hope your MIL continues to improve.

curlyjax - Ouch for your DD's isolation at college. Can't imagine what that's like. Kudos for making dinner instead of eating out.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 Experience the Difference

This time you will get thinner, stay thinner, feel good about yourself, have more self-confidence, and enjoy better health - for the rest of your life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 31.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Whole Foods had only a little chicken and no tempeh--my two main protein sources. I guess I'll be eating a lot of cottage cheese for a few days! According to the butcher, Monday is a bad day to go to Whole Foods because the weekend shoppers clear them out. She said that I should call, first, but don't wait for the weekend since it's Labor Day Weekend.

My surprising success was that they had Hain Baking Powder. In our experience, that's the only sodium-free baking powder that works. We haven't been able to find any for months. They had a whole shelf full. I bought five cans, which I figure is about a year's supply, taking me to the July 2021 expiration date.

Yesterday, I got myself into Crow Pose for about half a second. Now, I'm obsessed. I used to do that when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't know it was Crow Pose. It was just a fun thing that I liked to do with my body. It would be so cool to be able to do at age 58 something I could do at age 8.

Exercise +25, 1475/1400 minutes for August

Old 09-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Coaches

Good news today! My blood test results came back and everything looks good and normal. The only elevated thing was liver enzymes but I have a fatty liver and that will heal as I lose my fat. I have complete belief that it will. The Dr was happy.

So was I.

And now I can drop that rock and move into my second 3 month stint with weightloss. I am excited even though my stats for this first 3 month plus 4 day span are weird.

I lost 9 pounds between May 27 and June 1. From June 1 to August 31 I lost 11. So...? If every 3 months I lose 10 lbs in 12 months I am down 40. I guess I should say a minimum of 40 as I am going to up my game.and see if I cant increase that loss rate. Nevertheless I am much better off at 277.9 (today's weight) than 296.8. No question.

And the car! Rear back strut broke and other one was equally old so they are repaired. What I didn't know was our brakelines were both leaking and there was no brake fluid in the car. The mechanic couldn't believe I still had brakes at all. I thought hey, wait a minute, isn't this the plot of a thousand murder stories?

"The brakelines were cut. Someone wanted her dead."

Yeah. So they fixed that.

And my windows not going down wasn't an electrical problem, but user error. One of us hit the window lock button so the windows were, uh, locked.

All is well. Tomorrow I can deliver the rest of the soap dishes to my customer after I unload the kiln. Exciting!

gardenerjoy: I had to see what the crow pose looked like. I love that site you sent me to to see it. I immediately looked up other poses and the most compelling to me were the restorative poses. No surprise there lol!

billblueyeeyes: at the car place this.morning a young woman was wearing a hoodie overtop of her t-shirt and leggings. And she was all scrunched up as if she was cold. It actually was a touch cold which annoyed me as it did you last night. For the first time since my sister moved to Key West I have kept imagining, almost daily, what it would be like not to be preparing for winter and winter blasts. If they get through another hurricane season, they have really nice weather ahead. Best case scenario for me is a future writ warm in layers.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:13 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday-Great Fire of London begins in Pudding Lane, 80% of London destroyed (1666)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The shirt arrived that I ordered from eBay on Sunday - super fast. I have a super-loved 100% cotton Ex-Officio outdoor shirt that I wear on cool mornings. My version of a bathrobe. It feels heavenly. It's also beyond ragged: sometimes I stick my arm through the tear in the sleeve; sometimes my hand gets caught in the tears at the bottom; the collar is beyond turning to restore it. So, I googled and googled until I found its near identical self on eBay. Arrived in two days. It's a size smaller than the old - in honor of the bunch of weight lost. Only good enough. It's only half-cotton; apparently 100% cotton shirts in this brand/style are history. This one lasted for years although its final condition is worse than any cotton blend shirt. CREDIT moi for buying an item of clothing.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. DW made a microwave salmon recipe that she hasn't made in years: salmon, potatoes, fresh tomatoes, spices. We'd forgotten how much we loved it since we're so enamored with grilled salmon. Good to have a second recipe.

Walked, CREDIT moi, and found a 7 foot folding table on the curb - just what DW needs for her plant sale in our driveway in two weeks. It's very solid but its plastic top is sufficiently imperfect that it'll be returned to the curb after one use. A serendipitous find.

onebyone - Neat to know that you have working struts and brakes - shuddering at the thought. LOL at "plot of a thousand murder stories." Continued Congrats for your slow, methodical approach to weight loss.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Congratulations for making it into the Crow Pose - looks rather difficult. Surprised to think of Whole Foods running out of essential foods.

Readers -
Quote:

Is This Book for You?

Please be sure to consult your health-care professional before starting the diet and exercise programs in this book to see whether they are right for you.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I've been doing pretty well staying OP but blew it yesterday. DS was off to dinner at a friend's house so I tried a new gyro take out which had an ice cream stand next to it. I was hungry so I got a small malted milkshake and drank it up on the way home.Not thinking clearly. And then I was full so I didn't exercise. Back on track today. I have a feeling this is going to be slow going but I feel much more engaged to keep at it than I have for awhile.
It's going to be rainy so I won't be able to see folks in person today, but i'll still go to the site.
DS started his online classes and after a tech glitch it seems to be going well.
I've been feeling lonely so I tried the Match thing again and am having no success. Why do I keep doing this!! Hope springs eternal. I need to line up some kind of social thing for the weekend.
Bill- I know what you mean about old clothes being the best, I have a few ripped ones I only wear at home, and they're so comfortable.
Onebyone- yikes for the brakes, glad you got that done. Great job on the good labs!!
Gardenerjoy-I could never hold that pose, that is wild!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

The unreliability of posting on my iphone is cutting down on number of posts. Sometimes I have just a few moments and don't want to get out my personal computer. Still I am keeping up with everyone's contributions.

I finally went to the gym. My back is getting worse from all the sitting and I needed take action. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and started the circuit machines. I put the lightest weight on all the machines because I just want to start with range of motion. I do not want to injure myself. Food is healthy but inconsistent in the amounts. My weight is three pounds above ticker. Looking back into my past weight records I have been about this weight at this months for at least 20 years. So I was grateful I lost the 15 pounds from January. I call it a success since in that twenty years I have had a baby and lived through menopause. Still, I want to continue to add healthy food. I heard the recommendation is now 10 servings of fruits and veggies a day. That makes sense to me. I have a ton of fresh California fruit and I will roast brussel sprouts which are always a favorite.

Wave to all.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #8  

Height: 70

train your brain to think like a thin person.

Best motivation for me
Old 09-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #9  

Height: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjax View Post
I've been doing pretty well staying OP but blew it yesterday. DS was off to dinner at a friend's house so I tried a new gyro take out which had an ice cream stand next to it. I was hungry so I got a small malted milkshake and drank it up on the way home.Not thinking clearly. And then I was full so I didn't exercise. Back on track today. I have a feeling this is going to be slow going but I feel much more engaged to keep at it than I have for awhile.
It's going to be rainy so I won't be able to see folks in person today, but i'll still go to the site.
DS started his online classes and after a tech glitch it seems to be going well.
I've been feeling lonely so I tried the Match thing again and am having no success. Why do I keep doing this!! Hope springs eternal. I need to line up some kind of social thing for the weekend.
Bill- I know what you mean about old clothes being the best, I have a few ripped ones I only wear at home, and they're so comfortable.
Onebyone- yikes for the brakes, glad you got that done. Great job on the good labs!!
Gardenerjoy-I could never hold that pose, that is wild!

it's a test, please be patient .. keep the spirit to improve ..
Old 09-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is a long list of extroverted activities. Which, of course, really means a bunch of emails. My social skills are rusty from all of this social distancing and, now, even emails feels a little more out there than my introverted self prefers. But, I want to be part of the change I wish to see in the world.

Unplanned food will not help me write these emails.

I'm putting them first on my list so that I can spend the rest of my day in blissful retreat, working on my creative activities. Those don't require unplanned food, either.

Exercise +40, 40/1400 minutes for September
Old 09-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Still maintaining and hoping to get back to weight loss today.

Joy, congrats on doing that pose, even for a short moment. That is amazing!

Karen, that sounds very stressful for you there. I hope a long term plan can be established quickly.

Onebyone, yay for the mostly good lab results.

Bill, it's such a bummer when a great product downgrades its quality. Hopefully the shirt is still satisfactory.

Curly, it's hard to resist the yummy foods when overly hungry. That dinner sounds good.

Maryann, you can't go wrong with more vegetables. Except for the gas. Ugh. I eat a lot of beans and vegetables and the gas gets annoying. How’s that for tmi? lol
Old 09-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was pretty much on plan yesterday, but I had 4 drinks over a long time period after I got to my friends house. We went to a very nice socially distanced happy hour in her friends back yard. It was so nice to meet the people she's been talking about for months and some of them even years. I got a wild idea to ask my husband and mil if she would want to come to Arizona to live with us for a while. My husband was agreeable and she said "that would be lovely". However, my bil put the kibosh on it. I know he wants her and her checkbook right there near him. My husband is hesitant to confront him, but I told him I feel we are being complicit if he doesn't call him out on it. It is quite a dilemma, but I can't just pretend I didn't hear what his mother told me and him (on the phone). So I feel very stressed about that, but said a prayer when I left to help me accept the outcome. I'll go there again on Sunday with a few clothing items I purchased for my mil. In the meantime I will not eat over it.

Penny Maintaining is pretty successful too.
GardenerJoy I looked up your pose and that is quite impressive. I'd love to try it, but I think I would need pillows all around.
Maryann That sounds like a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I bet the size of my servings would often be considered 2 servings. How is ds doing?
Curlyjax Slow and steady wins the race. I'm glad ds sorted out the tech glitches and is moving forward with his classes.
Bill I hate it when a favorite item of clothing wears out. It seems they are almost always impossible to replace.
Onebyone Glad to hear your lab work was good.

It's a beautiful day here. I'm going for a nice walk after lunch. Mt. Rainier is out in all her glory. I don't know if there is another place in the world as beautiful as Washington when it is sunny. I'll be glad to have a little exercise for stress relief.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Frederick Douglass escapes from slavery disguised as a sailor (1838)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Boston's Museum of Science again proved to be an entertaining place. She was proud that she could pull down the long end of the giant lever that had a 500 pound weight on the short end - a nicely designed exhibit. Spent a long time selecting birds on a screen and then requesting the bird songs. Not that she's into birds but that there were a lot of buttons to press and control. DW asked her to select the call of the Common Loon because of strong memories from the lakes in New Hampshire.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the only snack being her uneaten apple in the car during the drive home. Dinner was the leftover KFC. I only had a breast - more than enough to be over calories for the day. Since I didn't have my second piece, that leaves one drumstick for lunch today. I can feel my arteries clogging. KFC's secret isn't about being healthy, LOL. Large green salad and Bok choy completed the meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Always grateful for the reminder, "Those don't require unplanned food, either."

maryann - Smart to "to start with range of motion." Roasted Brussels Sprouts are the best.

Karen (karenrn) - With your difficult situation, it's great to hear "In the meantime I will not eat over it." We've been trained to think "as beautiful as Washington when it is sunny" is an oxymoron, LOL.

curlyjax - Great that your DS's classes started; stories are so mixed. I told my DD that we passed a school bus on the way to pick up the DGD. "Couldn't be our town's because they still haven't decided. Parents are freaking out." Ouch for the draw of an ice cream stand.

Penny. - Maintaining can be celebrated because it isn't gaining.

OTOMATIS - Welcome. Neat to start out with "Best motivation for me." How did you discover the work of Dr. Beck?

Readers -
Quote:

Is This Book for You?

You should not follow the Beck Diet for LIfe Program if you suffer from an eating disorder, depression, anxiety, or other psychological problem. Work with a mental-health professional to resolve your difficulties before you start dieting. It is much too difficult to work on both simultaneously. To find a certified Cognitive Therapist near you, go to the Academy of Cognitive Therapy's Web site at www.academyofct.org.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday there were a couple of "he said she said" situations. A wise former supervisor once told me, sometimes people just want to be heard, so I listened to all parties and made empathetic noises. I'm so glad to be back at work but I should cut myself some slack and realize its going to take some time to adjust energy-wise. I'm glad to be a social introvert but some days people just wear me out!
Bill- yay for the museums being open and DGD still loving them. "the loon, the loon" reminds me of On Golden Pond.
Karen- so nice of you to offer to bring MIL home for a bit. If she wants to then I don't see how BIL can have anything to say about it unless she is going to live with him instead. Call it an extended rehab. I'm just venting on your behalf it is indeed a tough situation.
Penny- I hear you about those gasses and it seems to happen more as we age!
Maryann- yay for getting back to the gym.
Gardenerjoy- yay for a day of blissful retreat.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Karen: My Grandmother lived to be 100. There was a lifelong feud between my aunt and my father which my GG never really tried to resolve. GG went to live with my Aunt and hated it. When Dad and I came to visit her, GG asked me to take her home with me.I didn't want to be non-forthcoming but because of circumstances ( one being my aunt was living on GG's SS checks) we smuggled her out under the guise of a weekend visit. She ended her days with us. I don't know what is right or wrong but I had to settle on granting my GG's wishes. It didn't mend the rift between Dad and my aunt but that probably wouldn't have been settled anyway. Family is tough.

Food went to plan yesterday in that I ended eating at 1:00 and exercised at 6:00 adhering to Greger's suggested six hour fast before exercise. Yeah! I had to use my resistance muscle. The scale remains stuck but my back is feeling better after two straight days of exercise.

I learned a new tech program. I challenged myself to get in there and do it. (Beck - learning new things.) It allows me to send PDFs to students which they can mark up with comments, videos and other manipulations while not changing the original document. This is important not only because I can start using actually adopted curriculum again but kids can learn without messing up original document. Of all the wild silly statements in the media, the one that has not been exaggerated, fabricated or twisted is that distance learning is really increasing the gap between the haves and the have nots ( the latter of which is most of my children.) Kids with parents who can help by buying upgraded tech or can actually help with the work have such an advantage. Yesterday maybe the most important thing I did with students in intervention is to teach them how to split their computer screen by downloading an extension. That is the most basic of manipulations. So much for my history prowess.

Anyway, the idea is to stop eating at 1:00 again and to workout after DH dinner. I just hang out with him as he eats.

Wave

Closed Thread