Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #166  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Day one of Karen's Plan went well. I followed all of my own rules and felt like my day was a success.

Onebyone Glad you have an unfettered day today and that yesterday was a food day that was heading in the direction you want.

Bill Our weather here was so different than yours yesterday. It was 73 degrees and it was 62 when I got up this morning. So much easier to take the pup out than when it's in the 40's or raining.

Tonight we have dinner at a friends. My plan is no alcohol, but I will enjoy a piece of the apple/cranberry crisp I am taking, because I know it is good. I'll keep the portion small. I have no idea what she is serving, but hopefully not horribly rich.

Happy Friday everybody!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:45 AM   #167  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Thomas Edison demonstrates light bulb (1879, N.J.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, with a list of eight errands to accomplish on the trajectory. The library hosted a passel of young kids making paper hats, Trader Joe's offered its standard temptations that I refused, I skipped Whole Foods, bought some base layer tops at the sporting goods store, and a pair of those cheap little razor letter openers. The last item cracked me up. We've been using those little guys for years - they just appear in our life stamped with political candidates and insurance companies. Well, they've slowly disappeared until we're operating with only one and it's rather dull - we just shred the envelope. It never dawned on either of us that one could go buy one, LOL. So I did, from Staples, and became the instant hero.

Food was OK. I turned down cookies on sale at the supermarket which made me proud, CREDIT moi. Strawberries were in short supply; I might use that as an excuse for another walk to a different supermarket. Life is good when the worst problem is lack of fresh strawberries.

unfettered onebyone – Kudos for wrestling with the bureaucracy of getting transcripts - both informal and official.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for fruit for evening snack.

maryann - LOL at my prediction "The sun will come up tomorrow." Kudos for facing your family and keeping your cool. It was neat that your DS and DS got to see each other.

Karen (karenrn) - Two great notions for success: "I followed all of my own rules" and "I'll keep the portion small."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Escape the No Willpower Trap

Being prepared and having a plan greatly increases the likelihood you'll be able to exert willpower in even the most difficult situations.
. . .
  • Make a list of the hard things you've done in your life - raise children, get a degree, work toward a promotion, learn a sport. All those endeavors took sustained effort and determination. They were hard, but you did them. Next make a list of difficult dieting experiences in which you stayed in control. Remember that even though it's hard, you can exert willpower and resist - and when you do, you won't regret it once the tempting situation has passed.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 189
Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #168  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Yesterday I was fine until I nibbled at the leftover chicken while standing at the stove. I was stripping the carcass so I could use the chicken bits for supper. But I indulged. When I put the chicken away, I noticed a holiday tin I didn't see before. I took the lid off, and I was surprised by some "bumpy cookies" lurking underneath a paper doily in the tin. MIL made them for DH. When I saw them I immediately took one and downed it. I think they are icing sugar plus cacao plus oats. They melt fast. Then I got obsessed by them and went back for another and then I had ice cream... cause I couldn't have more bumpy cookies cause they aren't really mine. The frenzied eating lasted about 5 minutes. I decided *credit* to really stop it already and I made tea and searched for the sugar free lemonade mix to add to it. Not the best solution, the sf lemonade, but it did the trick.

I didn't eat again until supper.

For supper we had nachos with the leftover chicken plus salsa plus cheese and I ate the leftover nacho chips from the bag (boooo) after I finished my supper. I also had pie and ice cream. And then I stopped. *credit*

Nibbling at the chicken while standing at the stove started all my off plan eating. The cookie surprise just knocked me for a loop. I didn't do my 15min exercise. I didn't work on the computer or do dishes. I did get to the dentist and have my teeth cleaned. Best round of that ever.*credit* But my teeth are in dire straits with their deep pockets. Still need to visit the periodontist. Oh well. I was also very very anxious yesterday. Tight ball in the tummy. Hard to swallow. Tense shoulders. Just bad. After the hygienist I was better cause she makes me laugh. laughing is so great. Who knew a trip to the dentist could make me feel *less* anxious?!

I'd give yesterday a 60℅.

Today I plan on starting a large painting for a friend. I have to drive up to my studio an drop off rent there and start cleaning it up so I can work there once again. Not much else planned.

Weight today: 277.6
Yesterday 278.8.

Here is my goal list for today:

-move for 15 minutes
-write my food down
-drink 8 cups of water or tea
-plan meals for the week

Non-food goals:
do all the dishes/clean water containers/put them away
take pictures of stuff I want to sell online
do an hour of work getting some of that stuff online
read more about MFA - start assembling possible portfolio
sketch out large painting onto canvas
Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #169  
Green Tomatoes

Happy New Year's Eve!

I had hoped to transition back to one snack yesterday but it ended up being two. I'll try again today. If skipping the extra snack doesn't seem reasonable, I'll aim to eat fruit instead of the other things that I'll likely want in that moment.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #170  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default happy New year's eve!

We're still getting along despite being together 24/7 ... And still exploring. It's crowded here! We'll be spending the new year's eve in Piazza San Marco - taking a bit of a rest now. Figuring out the transit for tomorrow's venture.

The food fest will be ending soon. I think I'm up mor than a bit. We shall see and just get to work on it when we get home.

DH's folks and daughters will be coming over next weekend so that will be interesting. New info is one is again pregnant after miscarrying a year ago...in no stable relationship and no real way to care for one. I'm beyond aggravated bc she just can't get her crap together day after day after month after year. She's not 16. Last time her plans to make it were to go on public assistance. Seriously. That's not a plan to get thru life ... It's there when things go wrong and folks need a helping hand, not a plan. So even putting on a nice front is hard for me since the other daughter has only communicated with her dad three times this year, once to b&tch about him not installing a car stereo for her on demand. What I'd like to do is just to be gone that evening. But i know that's not support for him. Last time no one helped at all...it was just assumed I'd do the whole dinner and cleanup. I resented that and am already dreading the evening. Thanks for letting me vent here. Ugh.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #171  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I had typed out a long note and then lost it somehow, so this one will just be a short note.

Food yesterday was not quite as good as I hoped. I did have a glass of white wine and my dessert portion was too large, but it was good. Today could have been difficult because we've had snacks and sweets out all afternoon while we watched football, but I just had carrot sticks. We wouldn't have had the snacks, but we had a couple of friends here. Now we're heading over to friends for an early evening party and there will be plenty of food. Again I will do my best to keep portions small and I'm taking La Croix sparkling water to drink. I do love the get togethers to see the people, but the downside is the difficulty navigating the food. I want to enjoy a little, but not go at all overboard. I want my weight to be 140 tomorrow morning and I think that will be one of the lower weights I've had on New Year's Day.

Nationalparker I'm sorry about your frustration with the step daughter and even more I'm sorry you have to think of it while you're on a fabulous vacation. My advice to you is to make a very easy dinner so at least you don't feel like you slaved away. Maybe it will cause a little less resentment.

Happy New Year's to everyone! I'm looking forward to the New Year. I think I'll take my friend Patrice's lead and for my resolution this year I'll be looking for more joy in my life. Just what I need to do to make that happen is not totally clear yet, but it will be fun to think about it.

Last edited by karenrn; 12-31-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the January 2017 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.
Closed Thread