3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/294330-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-april-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

maryann 04-09-2014 12:05 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have been working so much I get a comp day on Wednesday at Starbucks. I have only spilled coffee on my computer twice :( My sleep has not been great and I am counteracting it with a Venti Americano. A little jittery.

Heaven, though, to have time to catch up on posts, update my technology, people watch.

Proud to say this is day 9 OP. My plan has been very rigid - still a smoothie and salad everyday but carbs are only coming carbs and nuts. The protein requirement is huge!! So I have enjoyed hearing everybody weighing in on the subject.

Smiling to myself as I have read. I have created The World According to Mary Ann:

No whey or soy protein ( Finally discovered the soy and artificial sweeteners were making me sick. I use pea protein with a little stevia)

No James Joyce - Ever (BBE; how can a confirmed non fiction aficionado find a plot?)

No sleepless nights ( nationalparker: my sponsor told me no one ever died of lack of sleep but I am wondering if perimeter family members accidentaly did :(

Best to all.

6crowsgold 04-09-2014 01:01 PM

Wednesday,

Still feeling very off. Dizzy and slow; possibly medication related.

I went 180 calories over on my fast yesterday to have some cottage cheese that seemed like it might help. Puts me to 680 cal total for the day, so the damage is slight.

OP today, trying to go home early and sleep some more. My best wishes to all.

onebyone 04-09-2014 05:08 PM

still fuzzy

Coaches

I'm still a lump. This cold has morphed but it's still with me. My ceramic friend is coming to get me in the morning and I am going to try to make things tomorrow. We'll see how far I get with that.

I overate last night, after I checked in here. I am back on track today though. *credit* I'm holding at day 4 though until this cold passes. After my weigh-in a friend mentioned that the diet fix 10 day reset is not about the lbs lost but about setting into place the means and method to stay on track. Indeed Dr. Yoni doesn't prescribe to the fast weightloss plan and I need to accept that. what is causing me to think otherwise is an upcoming tv appearance for the potters' guild on May 1st. It's just cable tv so very few people will see it, and it is a short segment of 7min max, and I am comfortable with the whole process but, as usual, and as has been the case for decades now, I just wish I was better looking in front of the camera. My *secret fear* ie. sabotaging thought:devil: is this "those days are gone now. even if you lost weight you would look old and your skin all saggy. You squandered your natural beauty being fat." There it is. Harsh, eh? Like I would ever say that to anyone else ever? No. But I say it to myself and it is a new spin on the old self loathing that came with the bump up in years this past birthday. I would like to know that I am wrong about that. I am often wrong about these "predictions" based only on my emotional state.

Anyway, whatever. I have a nice outfit I like, and I just need to deal with my hair which I have neglected and then I will be good to go. I am doing the segment on tv with my friend who makes me laugh and if the host is at all any good, we should make for entertaining tv.

Going now. Wishing everyone a good rest of he day or night, whatever time it is when you read this.

silverbirch You will get an advanced copy of the blue ray in a format compatible with the UK. I anticipate making so much $ from having solved the dieter's dilemma as to be able to purchase You Tube. That will certainly help my video go viral. ;)

Ceejay Yay for keeping on. Me too. We certainly are fabulous.

6crowsgold oh! sorry you're still feeling off. Hopefully some extra rest will help. Take care:hug:

maryann Hello. I too eschew soy protein and I only want protein from whole foods though if I have to I will search for the pea protein. Glad you have some time and people watching is a great artistic pass time. What are the kids wearing where you are? is what is on my mind to ask you as well as wondering if anyone is sporting a monocle which according to this is the new fashion trend! So far not de rigeur in the suburbs of Toronto North.

gardenerjoy yep, right on the money re: diet fix challenges. I am glad you are persevering as well. As for crickets, you can get them at any pet store. They are sold as food for reptiles. I also think you can order them online--well maybe not crickets. Maybe just ladybugs....

BillBlueEyes I love wooden spoons. My friend once made me a book words and collaged images, called Ode to a Wooden Spoon. Despite my love of the wooden spoon, DH doesn't share this, and so over the years I haven't used them much until I found bamboo utensils at the dollar store! Now I am hooked again and have replaced a couple of worn out ickky cheapy plastic ones with the bamboo version. I do hope you use your utensil and not just admire it for it's walnuttiness.

GosfordGirl Many and varied credits on your list! Kudos to you! Cannot wait until you join us on DF to see what your observations are. I look forward to it.

Must go. Sniffly. Sigh.

CeeJay 04-09-2014 09:02 PM

Hi everyone

ahna- amazed by your huge weight loss- 70 pounds in 19 weeks. How did you manage that? Would love to hear any advice you have.

Lexxiss- hello to you. Miss reading posts from you- you are always such an inspiration for me. Enjoy California!

AZtricia- great job with 3 miles on the treadmill and ignoring hunger after dinner.

nationalparker-fantastic job not eating over the huge stress in your life.

silverbirch-waving hello. I agree we can take what works for us out of what is advised by Beck and leave the rest. For me I have found daily weighing makes me crazy. For others it probably works.

GosfordGirl- gym + 8000 steps= huge success!!! I think the Diet Fix recommends an amount of protein per day but not carbs. I am not having trouble getting in the total protein so far. Really nice list of credits!!!

BillBlueEyes-love bargains on books. A trip to Ireland would be fantastic. I have not seen purple potatoes up here but I am going to look. BTW- saw first robins of the year today.

gardenerjoy-really great reading your comments on the Diet Fix. I agree that day 1-4 are certainly not small steps. In fact they are huge, at least for me. I think Beck is a bit dogmatic too but then again the things I have put in place suggested by her have helped me a lot and I have been able to stick with them, even when I am not eating well.

maryann-nice to see you. Congratulation on 9 days OP.

6crowsgold- hope you are feeling better. Yay for an OP day today.

onebyone- hope you are feeling better soon. I totally understand what you said about worrying that when we lose weight we may be old looking with baggy skin. You know what- if the trade off is feeling better, living longer and being able to do more in life- it will be well worth it! We will always be beautiful to the people who love us. :)

For me- back on plan today. So grateful for that. Two days on the exercise bike resulted in a huge flare up of pain in my good knee. Geesh I am ticked off about that. So icing and resting today and then taking smaller steps. So frustrating.

Off to the hotel tomorrow with a plan and food packed.

Check back in on Friday.

Take care everyone
:hug:

AZtricia 04-09-2014 10:51 PM

Hello Coaches,

Today was pizza day again here. I choose not to participate and made a salmon salad. Unfortunately I still feel hungry. I have reached the pre-exercise calorie budget and prefer to stop and let those "burned" calories hopefully burn some fat! So I'm coming here to report in and also making some cinnamon tea instead of eating more. An interesting note, I average 120 g of protein daily. Most of the protein is egg/meat/yogurt but some is nuts or even veggies (broccoli is 36% protein!).

Food OP
Exercise OP

And I was able to walk a bit faster on the treadmill today without pain! Previously 3.3-3.4 mph was my best and I was up to 3.7 today.

CeeJay Kudos for back OP, hope your ouch knee feels better tomorrow. See you Friday.

onebyone Sorry you are not feeling well. It is very interesting that you will be on TV! How fun that it is with a good friend. Kudos for recognizing sabotaging thoughts!

6crowsgold
Sorry you are still not well. Wishing you a better day tomorrow!

maryann Kudos for day 9 OP! Soy & whey don't agree with me either, where do you find pea protein?

gardenerjoy Thanks for sharing your progress and opinions in using The Diet Fix. Sounds like you are doing lots of planning and calculating-yikes!

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for your strength on your fast day, 9000 steps, and planning the gym tomorrow.

nationalparker Hoping you had a safe trip.

BillBlueEyes Potatoes have lots of potassium and the purple ones can apparently reduce blood pressure! http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/purp...tion-2182.html

Lexxiss
Wishing you a wonderful visit to CA and safe travel.

Now that I'm done I'm no longer hungry - thanks coaches!!

nationalparker 04-09-2014 11:34 PM

Long day going on 20 hours and im ready for bed. Food was ok, so credit for that... frustration with sis/drama... dad did have chemo and he was feeling ok and had appetite so thats great. Keeping my fingers crossed he does well tomorrow. Credits were good salad from panera for lunch, light dinner and few snacks.

Busy morning tomorrow and then hope to settle down with office work tomorrow afternoon when they're resting.

Dad is down 40 pounds and very thin and frail now. Hard to see, but harder for him. He didnt have that to lose. At all.

Goal for tomorrow is to check in with another op day and drink more water.

Maryann .. what isbyour best treatment for sleepless, tossing, mind running on warp speed nights? I go thru all the b/w tv shows I can name, tben every car that starts with a certain letter, then names od aircraft, then dh wakes up and asks why cant I just turn my brainnoff... haha if only.

GosfordGirl 04-10-2014 05:11 AM

Rainy Thursday

Coaches

A desk day today after I went for PT at the gym this morning. Because I did a hard work out 2 days ago in the TRX class all my muscles were tired so I was a bit incapable today. But I made it through the session. I hate it when he wants me to do floor/core work - I feel vulnerable on the floor because I am less mobile and clumsy (beached whale is what it feels like). I think I will refuse to do it for a while until I get more mobile.

My Diet Fix has arrived - international shopping is getting very speedy. I have had to resist looking at it because I have a couple of days work that I can't ignore - sigh

BillBE - Purple potatoes sound good - in Australia there was recently a furore because of a new very purple plum which reduces all sorts of health parameters. I love Autumn because I notice the Magpies carolling or warbling or whatever - I never hear it at other times of year, not sure if it is seasonal, but when I walk the dogs early or at dusk I get their song which is special. I know Autumn has arrived

Gardenerjoy - It does sound like an awful lot of planning and doing to fit into a few days. Can't wait to find out. There is an awful lot of protein in a 80g can of red salmon (18g), or in chicken breast. And fresh salmon is really high. I am always surprised by how much - and good fats

Maryann - yay for 9 OP days - fantastic

6crowsgold - hope things improve, and that you adjust if it is about a medication change.

Onebyone - Your television spot sounds really exciting and you sound all prepped for it - credit to you. I hope you shake this cold soon and feel more energised. I like your incredibly "rational" analysis of your sabotaging thoughts - and CeeJays rebuttal.

CeeJay - Credit for back on plan - I like to read that. Gee that is irritating that even the bike irritates your knee :( Hope RICE helps and I totally understand why you would be ticked off. You are only doing it alternate days aren't you? I need a rest day between.

Tricia - credit for dealing with hunger with cinnamon tea. I get 100 g of broccoli as only having 3 g of protein (3% w/w) in MFP? If it really is 36% I am having a lot of protein. Glad your pain is improving and you can speed up your pace rate. I am slowly getting faster too and it feels good

Nationalparker - thinking of you at your family home. No suggestions for sleeplessness - when I wake in the middle of the night in a panic state I just read or do sudoku. Not the best solution

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - Yes
  • Planned food for tomorrow - fast day tomorrow
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - down 1.6 pound
  • Did planned exercises - Gym plus 8,000 steps plus 9 active minutes (why doesn't gym register - only rapid walking)
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 70%
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - while I am doing this!
  • Made time for diet and exercise - Gym Saturday

BillBlueEyes 04-10-2014 05:54 AM

Thursday - National Sibling Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did Pure Muscle Tone class at the gym, CREDIT moi. I left the class worn out, but further humbled that during the two minute break to get water, the instructor did two minutes of outrageous step-body-movement just to amuse herself. She's one solid toned body. Fortunately, the woman next to me was four months pregnant so there was someone I could out-perform. Don't compare. Don't compare. Don't compare.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the spicy chickpea dish that DW made on Monday night when I had to leave before it was ready. Served with a pumpkin seed bread and a green leaf veggie. Made it a vegetarian day for me. After dinner walked to get Diet Fix by Yoni Freedhoff from the library so I can understand what all this fuss is about. Of the ten copies in the Middlesex Library System, only two are available. On Amazon, 'new' copies are being offered starting at $2.95 plus $3.99 shipping. Seems like mixed reviews.

onebyone – Yep, any thought that begins "You squandered" is a Sabotaging Thought. Neat clue to recognize that you'd never say that to another person - so you can start designing Helpful Responses to be kind to yourself. Every human being is stuck with that bummer of looking in the mirror and seeing our bodies age. 'Tis bummer enough without adding negative evaluations of lives that could have been. I know very few full time artists; you're making it along a most challenging path. Perhaps you can solicit a friend to repeatedly remind you that onebyone is one of life's winners. [Yay for wooden cooking utensils. Let them out to do their magic.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "grumbling at it made me feel better" - so very Cognitive Therapy to do what it takes. [Thanks for the links to your book reviews. Each thing I read reinforces the notion that I might just plan this trip to Ireland. (Diligently collecting Massachusetts crickets to ship to St. Louis to help with your diet.)]

CeeJay - Ouch for pain in the knee with Kudos for making a plan to go forward in smaller steps. So inspiring to read, "Off to the hotel tomorrow with a plan and food packed."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I know that difficulty of bouncing up and down from the floor. My gym class had one exercise where we had to do that repeatedly to position ourselves for the exercise. For me, that itself was the challenge. Kudos for making choices to fit your needs at your own Physical Therapy. [Love the Magpies singing - not a local bird here.]

maryann - Nine Kudos for nine days on-plan. If Venti Americano is what it takes, so be it. LMAO at "No James Joyce" - I'll let you know when/if I find the plots. Does literature have the equivalent of Jackson Pollock that I'm not educated to?

nationalparker – Glad you've made it to Florida. It's tough to see you dad losing weight he doesn't have to spare. Kudos for remaining clear about eating despite the other challenges you're facing.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Super Kudos for reporting here and drinking cinnamon tea as a Strategy to counter hunger. 120 grams of protein a day is a goodly amount. You might want to verify the protein in broccoli - there are some sources that give it a more modest value. [Thanks for the link to Purple Potatoes - I'm even happier eating them now.]

6crowsgold - Yep, 180 calories is slight; Kudos for continuing on your plan. Yay for sufficient sleep.

Readers -
Quote:

day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Looking Ahead

Follow these pointers:
  • Try to wear same-weight clothing for all your weigh-ins.
  • Step on the scale only once. Don't weigh yourself a second time, hoping for a lower weight. It doesn't really matter, and it'll only make you obsessive.
  • Don't think of your weight as a catastrophe or criticize yourself. It doesn't matter if you weigh 125, 150, 250, or 350 pounds tomorrow. Whether you have a little or a lot to lose, you're going to use the skills you're learning in this book for your whole life. It doesn't matter if it takes you four weeks or four years to reach your goal. You're going to be doing the same things for a very long time.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 137.

gardenerjoy 04-10-2014 11:23 AM

Day 6 of The Diet Fix is exercise. That's easy enough for me. I agree with his approach -- it's how I got started.

I had a hungry day yesterday. That's not supposed to happen on this plan. But, I'm supposed to eat if I get hungry and I didn't. On the surface, eating when I'm hungry seems like a reasonable enough response. At this point, though, I trust "hunger is not an emergency" more than I trust that I can control myself if I have unplanned food when I'm hungry. I can see that might be a good skill to develop, but it's not one that I have in my toolkit right now.

As AZTricia and GosfordGirl pointed out, I'm doing a lot of math on this plan. Fortunately, my math phobia begins somewhere in the mid-semester of college calculus and I don't need that level of math. I am using ratios a lot. So, I'm wondering how other people cope with the math in The Diet Fix or other plans. My mother-in-law doesn't do numbers. She won't even try Sudoku. Every one she knows is convinced she'd love that type of puzzle and points out that the numbers are just symbols, but she won't go for it. The Diet Fix might be a good fit for her, but she wouldn't be willing to do as much math as I'm doing.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +50 435/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: I do look better in my clothes now that I've lost weight. Swimsuits are still utilitarian attire for me and I just don't think about it too much. Only one person sees me naked and he's never inclined to complain about that! I never expected weight loss would make me look 20 again, and it didn't, so that's good that I didn't expect it! I did hope that weight loss would reduce pain, get me off my blood pressure medicine, and make me look more professional and put-together in my clothes -- and it did!
Your TV spot sounds terrific. Good for you for taking on what life has to offer in this moment. I join BillBlueEyes in admiration of the way you've lived your life as an artist.

GosfordGirl: Thanks for the warbling magpie! We don't have them in Missouri. I've seen them in Utah. Wikipedia says they can be as far east as Iowa and Minnesota. They apparently don't like heat and humidity, so the east and south-east don't have them. We get crows, instead.

nationalparker: I had something of a break-through on sleep a few months ago when I realized that I do better when I go to bed earlier. I used to believe that staying up late would make me sleepier. But, it just made me more tense and made my nights even shorter. It's not a miracle cure to sleeplessness (especially with hot flashes), but it's been a definite improvement. Lately, I've had good luck thinking "cozy" thoughts when I'm awake in bed. After seeing the tiny hotel rooms in London designed for solo business travelers, I've been designing my own. Or, last night, someone had puppies on Facebook, so I thought about puppies and drifted off to sleep that way. During hot flashes, I get up for a few minutes, but sit on the floor next to the bed and read an e-book on my phone until it passes.

AZtricia 04-10-2014 12:15 PM

Sorry about the broccoli confusion. Statistics!! I believe Diet power uses the USDA nutrient database: LINK to Broccoli

And my intention was % of calories, not by weight. For instance, 100g of frozen cooked broccoli (from link above) has 28 calories and 3.1 g of protein. Protein is 4 cal/gram so nutritional % in that broccoli is actually about 44%, other ways of preparation suggest as low as 27%. Not sure why the variation?!?!

6crowsgold 04-10-2014 01:57 PM

Thursday.

Sicker, weird symptoms not drug related. Slogging it this week and dizzy enough I don't care if I eat or not, so OP. Um, credit?

Keep swimming.

nationalparker 04-10-2014 03:58 PM

Hello all. It's been a good day so far. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the next few days are okay for my dad; that the chemo after-effects don't hammer him tomorrow. Skipped breakfast with my folks/their friends while running around to find the place I needed to pick up oxygen for him. Despite having lived here years ago, I couldn't find it even with GPS and calling them for directions (routed to call center elsewhere) :) finally another direction program worked. Thank goodness for some inventions that help us hugely directionally challenged people.

Have been able to get work done today and will work into the evening and try to get in a full day, even if not the traditional hours.

Again, I struggle with the skipped meal mentality I often employ and keep telling myself i don't need to catch up on calories :) Planning meals that are enticing to them, hopefully, but not ingredients I eat (ham, beef, pork) so need to come up with something that works for me to have separately as well or I'll keep thinking I deserve more. Mind games - argh.

6CrowsGold - Be careful; hopefully this will pass quickly and if not, I hope you're able to get it checked out.

flnu 04-10-2014 05:53 PM

Quick checkin for my Friday weigh in accountability: up 1.5 lbs to 169.5. Could have stayed OP but I didn't. I'm on vacation until next Thursday so I don't know when I can check in again. I hope all is well for all of you.

AZtricia 04-10-2014 10:03 PM

Hello Coaches,

Just returned from taking pup to the park. It gives me joy to see him so energetic. Running in circles, playing with kiddos, tongue hanging in a smile, he adores the grass (which we don't have in our yard). I was glad for a walk after dinner as I felt over full. Have not done that in a long time. Cooked tacos tonight and made my shells the Romain lettuce. Next time I'll have less even if it fits OP. I still feel very full.

nationalparker Glad to hear your dad is dealing well with chemo so far. Sorry your sis is still causing drama. Kudos for making good food choices. I'm glad you were able to find the equipment you needed.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for doing your gym session even though you were tired. Hope you enjoy your new book.

BillBlueEyes Thanks for the reminder to not compare. I was watching all the joggers on the treadmills yesterday and my not yet aerobic pace did seem slow even though it was an improvement for me. Kudos for your veggie day. Thanks for today's Beck note, I really need to plan breakfast tomorrow before I go to bed!

6crowsgold Oh my, that is bad if you don't even feel hungry. Hope you feel MUCH better tomorrow! Make sure to take care of yourself.

flnu Wishing you a great vacation week and a better OP for the rest of it.

onebyone 04-10-2014 10:36 PM

tgif. sort of.

Well I didn't get to the ceramic room afterall. I stayed in again with this cold. I felt good to go for about an hour then it passed. Headaches and tickly throat were the hallmarks of my common cold. I may have been a bit hot too. I didn't check. I will be out tomorrow as I have some duties to do but I think I'll be OK for a limited day. If not I just come home. I'll do what I can and really try not to overdo it.

Off to bed now. Food not great today. Being sick really throws me off.

Have a good night everyone.

National parker: when I'm stressed or just can't sleep I listen to podcasts in bed with headphones on. Usually I fall right asleep to them. I like BBC documentaries and a show called Witness. I'll also listen to the German Deutsch Welle and their program called Inside Europe. Super interesting stories you never hear over here. If you don't like current affairs there are old time radio shows! Love them. Gunsmoke is fabulous. It's way more than you think it was but my all time favorite show is a sci fi one called X-1 (x minus one). Fabulous writing but with your 50's ending. Some are spooky, some are funny, but they are all smart. I have only one I can't listen to: Perigi's Dolls. It just creeps me out! And that's what I do when I'm restless in bed.I listen to stuff and know that by lying there my body is recharging. It also distracts me from the "why aren't I sleeping" thoughts that only serve to keep me awake.

GosfordGirl 04-11-2014 05:06 AM

TGIF night

Coaches

I sent an email to my PT - will see how he reacts to my deciding not to do floor work! Worked at desk at home and went to acupuncture in the middle. The acupuncture guy has taken me on as a project I think - not sure if it will work but it is interesting to go there. It is going to rain (drizzle) for the next week. It is insanely humid. Today is fast day and I am REALLY hungry. I have prepared dinner but haven't cooked it yet - waiting with great anticipation

Well wishes to all who are sick or under the weather - sorry you are feeling off colour and hopefully it passes soon.

BillBE - LOL at feeling comfortable because you can "out-perform" a pregnant woman. It is difficult not to compare isn't it. Even with one's former self and capabilities. I love your response to onebyone - "every human is stuck with that bummer of looking in the mirror and seeing our bodies age". Ain't it a fact and I found that reality comforting

Gardenerjoy - I hope I cope with the maths when I read the book! I would like to give it a go

Tricia - It is all very confusing - whether one is talking about total protein grams or the proportion of calories that are protein (which is supposed to be about 33%). Credit for adapting dinner to suit your needs. It is indeed great to see the joy of the dogs when they can run free

6crowsgold - I hope you are thinking about seeing the doctor? You seem to have a virus or middle ear issue but the doctor can hopefully sort it out

Nationalparker - glad you are settling in. After about 2 or 3 days the chemo hits and one is tired - but it improves before the next round so I hope your dad picks up in a few days. Credit for surviving the chores you needed to do. Hope your food gets sorted out

flnu - enjoy your vacation - see you when you return

Onebyone - Rest up and take care of yourself. Hope you improve soon

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - Yes
  • Planned food for tomorrow - fast day
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - same
  • Did planned exercises - Only 6500 steps plus 15 active minutes
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 95% except at 2 grapes at sink
  • Listened to motivation recording - not yet
  • Made time for diet and exercise - Gym Saturday

BillBlueEyes 04-11-2014 05:42 AM

Friday - Percy Lavon Julian's 115th Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Caught DW just absorbing the sun in between futzing in the yard, "Making a little Vitamin D." The day was that pleasant. My walk included the library to pick up a book about city planning for a course I'm taking on climate change. Cities are a good place to start making changes. Today's the day to increment the counters in my signature, CREDIT moi. I've added back my weight under my avatar and will update it monthly when I increment my signature so I can be back to holding myself accountable.

Eating was on plan for the day until an early evening event got off track. I'd had a very light dinner and planned to finish dinner from the refreshments table at the in-home concert. It was the standard eat-standing-up-while-chatting kind of event. I had more than made sense. Ouch. Was back on track as soon as I got home. Looking back on it, the food wasn't unusual - all selections from Whole Foods attractively presented. The room had vast ceilings - a converted factory - that created interesting options for wall decoration. A fancy mirror was taller than 10 feet, the kind you'd expect to find in a theater. It was a fun evening.

onebyone – This cold business is spreading on this thread - Ouch for all the symptoms of misery.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for, one more time, wrestling the tension between "hunger is not an emergency" and the more Intuitive Eating response to hunger. I, too, long for the day when my 'hunger' comes only from signals from my gut to serve me rather than from emotions to lead me astray.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for rain, Ouch for humid. I wish the rain would more evenly distribute itself about the globe. May your fast day come to an end taking the hunger with it.

nationalparker – Yay for GPS mapping software to help us get from here to there with confidence. Kudos for staying clear enough that you're being that helpful and still got in a day's work at you day job. Hope the chemo response goes well with your dad.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Fun to be reminded that, because there are so few calories in broccoli, its protein is a large portion. Romaine Lettuce is just the best substitute for bread and tacos. Yay for a happy puppy.

flnu - Happy Vacation - hope you're doing something new and fun.

6crowsgold - Ouch for feeling sicker. But absolutely, Yes, Kudos for not eating anyway. Hope this passes soon.

Readers -
Quote:

day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
Does the idea of planning seem unfair, punitive, or too regimented? I can tell you from experience that there just isn't another way. You're right in a certain sense that it is unfair to have to plan. After all, many people who aren't dieting don't have to plan like this. They can stand in front of the refrigerator and think, What do I feel like eating tonight? People who want to lose weight, however, just can't have that luxury. Even if you can make good choices now, the time will come (in a few days or weeks) when allowing yourself to make spontaneous decisions will lead to gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 138.

6crowsgold 04-11-2014 08:47 AM

Friday--Up and at it again! Feeling much better. Today is a 500 calorie fast with Weigh-In on Saturday to spur me on.

No exercise this week because of the dizzy thing, but at least OP.

To all: Thanks for the kind words. Working full time and having a 7yr all but preclude visits to the doctor, but I think it's sorting itself out now.

onebyone: I have the same faulty math when I'm sick where sick = chips for dinner. What is that???

gardenerjoy 04-11-2014 11:22 AM

Day 7 of The Diet Fix is Indulge! Well, this should be fun.

He makes an interesting distinction between primary and secondary binge eaters. Secondary binge eaters struggle only at particular times of the day while primary binge eaters can binge at any time of the day. According to Freedhoff, secondary binge eaters respond remarkably well to planned eating while primary binge eaters sometimes need some extra help from psychology. I was definitely a secondary binge eater (afternoons) and this was true for me: "With regular meals and snacks ensuring enough calories and enough protein, suddenly, almost magically, the drive to binge disappears, or at the very least markedly dissipates."

Of course, I already got that magic from Beck. But that helps explain why Beck worked for me when nothing else did. And may explain why my evangelism of Beck isn't always that effective -- not everyone I meet is a binge eater (he says only 30% of those seeking help with weight loss are binge eaters) and, those that are, aren't always secondary binge eaters.

His indulgence philosophy is to do it thoughtfully. I think his approach would be excellent when encountering an unexpected indulgence, but I really don't feel deprived following Beck's method of planning it ahead of time and dealing with most unexpected indulgences with "I can plan to have this tomorrow."

In other news, I ate breakfast this morning standing up. DH wanted to tell me all about the new Michael Lewis book that he started reading this morning. I paid attention to my food as well as the conversation and I'm pledging, here, to not make a habit of that!

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +50 485/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

6crowsgold: do you live in an area with allergens? My doctor says that allergies are systemic, so they can have all kinds of symptoms. My worst symptom is malaise -- which pretty much means I just don't feel good. Another couple of weeks and the worst of the allergens for the season should be done for me until late July and August when the mold spores spike. I need to figure out a way to live at a breezy beach in March and in the mountains in August to reduce my symptoms!

nationalparker 04-11-2014 12:53 PM

Another gorgeous weather day here, so that makes things seem cheerier. Dad is so frustrated with the side effects of the strong pain meds (mainly severe constipation despite using diff products) that he went w/o pain meds last night and we had a small encounter over it. I let slide the irritation he voiced when I questioned that and just kept silent. This morning, before he even said good morning, he said he did a stupid thing last night by doing that. I just said, well, let's keep looking at ways to lessen this side effect. Today is not as good, but we did get him out to the base for a haircut. I still like to see the gate guards salute my father. It tears at my heartstrings a bit because now he looks so worn.

Yesterday food was OP and did very well. I'm proud of that because I am a stress eater extraordinaire. Stress and joy. :) Which covers a lot...got on their scale this morning, which reads differently from ours, and just want to be down a bit on this one by the time I leave. I will hit the market later today and pick up some food that works well within my meal plan.

Will get out and do some yardwork on the weekend here. It's not blazing hot yet at all, so good timing.

maryann 04-11-2014 10:19 PM

Good Evening, Caoches.

Big event at work successful but Oh! am I wiped from worry, planning and implementation. The big news is I didn't celebrate its finish with food. I know mentally this is huge but I feel empty and sad to not have my celebration partner with me. Oh Well. I will go to sleep and hopeful FEEL my achievement tomorrow.

OP for Day 11. Wow! and a new short hair cut. I haven't had my hair short since I was 20. Lots of bad memories of bad cuts and powerless over learning how to be a girl. I always wanted a stylish "doo." I made a breakthrough a couple of days ago. I told myself I was fifty, could pay for a good cut and go into the salon to get it done once a week. I love it. Three cheers for taking care of myself and refusing to be bound to the fears of the past.

onebyone: No monocles yet. My students are very low income so they don't have the very hottest trends. Let's see, today was spring pictures. The girls wore asymetrical summer skirts or strange "poodle skirts" that were cut mini. The rebel boys are still trying to sag with the pants. I wonder when that will finally run its course. Its been twenty years now :(

AZTricia: Pea protein is at the "Whole Foods" type store we have here or you can buy it at Vitacost online. I get most of my supplements and stuff from them.

Ceejay: regarding knee pain. I don't know anything more frustrating than trying to exercise and being stopped by injuries. So unfair!

nationalparker: I am not the best one to ask about sleep. The things that work best are exercising during the day, a hot bath before going to sleep and I absolutely can't have caffeine in the afternoon. But still I struggle - doc says that is what the beginning of menopause is. She gave me a prescription of Lunesta which I am suppose to take if I have gone two nights with bad sleep and need to put in a full day the next day. I am no thrilled with having to take it but it works. I am VERY carefully to only use it sparingly. I have heard some bad stories about dependency.

BBE: I think the equivalent to Pollock is Faulkner's Sound and the Fury - stream of consciousness narration through the mind of a cognitively disabled man. Of course, no one will agree with me that it is is not a masterpiece. Give me Virginia Woolf anyday.

gardenerjoy: regarding math. I am on a percentage, counting type of plan. MyFitPal does everything for me - circle graphs with percentages. Don't know if that will help.

GosfordGirl: The best exercise is the one you will do.

AZtricia 04-11-2014 10:47 PM

Quick check-in to report an OP day with a pound lost :D
I'm tired and still have a bunch of chores before bed...so g'nite all!

onebyone 04-12-2014 12:16 AM

Coaches

Finally I felt OK enough and I got out of the house. :carrot:

I did really well and made what I needed to for tomorrow. It's exciting having plans. :carrot:

A very interesting opportunity came via email today. It's a mentorship program in my area. They take 14 students and they must be serious about their work and want to set goals and see their work stretch in new directions. I'm there. That's my plan for the next two years. My only concern is the program is given via a ceramic organization and the bulk of my serious work is in printmaking but the mentor is very interdisciplinary as am I so it may not be as big a deal. I have until the end of August to apply. By then I should have new work that I can use for my submission showing a clay/print crossover. It's an exciting unexpected thing to be pondering. I just love that.:carrot:

Food wise back at it tomorrow=day 5. I kind of lost it these past 3 or 4 days. I should care more but I don't. I'm just ready to move ahead on all fronts again. My sister will be visiting again.I sure hope she holds off until May sometime. I need time to settle into a real routine again.

Need to get some sleep now. Have a great night everyone.

GosfordGirl 04-12-2014 04:42 AM

Saturday

Hi Coaches

A cool rainy day (much preferred to a hot, sunny day) today. I foolishly agreed to hand out "how to vote" cards at the local Mayoral elections for a candidate from my political party (leftist) in the right wing heartland on north shore in Sydney. I was outnumbered, out postered and just generally out. Plus it was rainy and windy and cold. I ended up in agony as I hadn't realised my joints really do hurt more when it is cold. Anyway I did my 3 hours and then went off to find warmth and food. Which unfortunately meant I had a sausage roll - not intrinsically bad but all that wheat in the pastry didn't sit well with my digestion. And it wasn't on plan - mainly because I didn't really have one - first mistake of course. I shopped, bought some meat and now I can plan around it. I was trying to finish work today so I could have a break day on Sunday (tomorrow) but it won't happen. But Easter break is coming!

BillBE - Percy Lavon Julian [Medical Professional, Academic, Civil Rights Activist, Chemist, Scientist (1899–1975)] sounds like an interesting sort of guy - especially for an African American grandson of former slaves and with no high school education. Thanks for that. Plus a new word "futzing" usually accompanied by "around".

6crowsgold - glad you are feeling a lot better. Credit for getting back on plan

Gardenerjoy - thanks for the outline of D7 of the book - I will have to think about whether I am a binge eater. I think I am probably a secondary binge eater -when I am hungry I go over the top. Credit for pledging not to eat standing up.

Nationalparker - credit for on-plan eating under these circumstances - you are maintaining control

Maryann - great hairdo - and credit for 11 days OP

Tricia - fabulous - 1 pound down!

Onebyone - have a good day 5 tomorrow

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - No - didn't have a plan but I do have a plan for dinner
  • Planned food for tomorrow - not finished yet
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - down 1 pound
  • Did planned exercises - barely 5000 steps but lots of standing and no moving. Didn't get to gym as planned
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 95%
  • Listened to motivation recording - once so far
  • Made time for diet and exercise - missed gym - will see if I get time tomorrow

BillBlueEyes 04-12-2014 05:45 AM

Saturday - Russian Cosmonaut Day, Yuri Gagarin, 1962

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a presentation to learn the distinction between Philosophical Libertarianism and Consequential Libertarianism. Straightened out my head that a Libertarian doesn't deny that some problems are terrible, he just believes that any action by government will make it worse. It was helpful to unravel why I was confused that Libertarians seemed to come down on both classical Liberal and Conservative sides of different issues.

I did get the chance to make a wise food choice for lunch. I had a window for lunch so chose a place I really wanted to try. Had a BBQ seitan sandwich on pita bread. CREDIT moi for not also choosing the house specialty of Marjoram flavored French fries. The evening at dancing allowed me to ignore a table of snacks - all factory made. So CREDIT moi for a day on plan in the face of opportunities to do otherwise.

onebyone – It's exciting that you see yourself as open to see your work stretch in new directions. Yay for getting out of the house.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the distinction between primary and secondary binge eaters. The word 'binge' is parked outside of useful for me since I use it only for eating the equivalent of a whole gallon of ice cream. If I rethought that I might, perhaps, get a useful word back.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for being a political activist - especially when it's "rainy and windy and cold" and in an area where the crowd is on the other side. Yep, not having a plan is the easiest way to be off it. (Although I've tried to argue with myself that when I don't have a plan, by definition I can't be off it, but that notion wanders into justification.)

maryann - Kudos for celebrating without using food. [Count me as a believer that Faulkner's Sound and the Fury is a masterpiece. I've happily read it at least three times and still marvel. By-the-by, I've reported to Tech Support that some young thing has hi-jacked your Avatar.]

nationalparker – Sounds like you're finding your way helping your dad through those choices where neither one is really 'right.' Super Kudos for an on plan day despite the stress.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Goodbye pound. Kudos for an on plan day.

6crowsgold - Kudos for on plan despite the dizzy thing. Hope this clears up soon.

Readers -
Quote:

day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
So, if you think, I don't have to do this part of the program, Acknowledge that the reality is probably, I don't want to do this part of the program. For just one week, commit to writing down everything you're going to eat the next day. At the end of the week, decide whether to commit to another week. Committing to one week at a time is easier than saying you're going to do this for life - especially since you probably won't need to! Some people find that recording what they eat for a few weeks or months is enough. Can't commit to a full week? Then at leat commit to today and tomorrow!

6crowsgold 04-12-2014 09:10 AM

Staurday Weigh-In = down another pound. Another butter box on the counter.

The plan is working, albeit slowly. For 8 pounds down, I thought I'd notice some change by now in appearance. But then I imagine that pound of butter melted and poured over me and see how thinly the pounds must be spread. The muffin-top [really repulsive term] is alive and well!

A great day to all!

gardenerjoy 04-12-2014 09:51 AM

Day 8 of The Diet Fix is eating out. I liked his philosophy of doing it rarely (maybe once or twice a week), but enjoying it. He advocates researching meals ahead of time (but adding 20% to 40% to posted calories to account for larger servings), eating normally rather than under-eating during the rest of the day so that we're in a good emotional and hunger space for making decisions (it makes no sense to fast during the day and eat 4000 calories at supper when normal eating would have made you willing to eat 1000 calories or less at supper), and refusing the pre-dinner drink (since alcohol effects decision-making, order a drink after all the decisions have been made and drink it with supper instead of before).

This was a tip I may ignore, "Skip the Doggy Bag." Since restaurant meals tend to have more calories than home-cooked ones, he says don't take it home and eat all those calories a second time for lunch -- unless the food is really great. No reason to take that calorie hit twice for mediocre food. Which is a good point. But the doggy bag option is the one that keeps me from eating the whole thing (mediocre or not) at the restaurant, so I tend to think that over the years, doggy bags have served me well. Although, I have used doggy bags less and less as I got better at ordering smaller portions, splitting things with DH, and picking out the vegetables and meat while leaving behind most of the carbs in pasta dishes and stir-fries.

WI: -0.1kg, Exercise: +50 485/1500 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: I love your hair-do. It's so springy and it makes you look energetic and purposeful -- it manages to be both professional and pretty.
It was a big break-through for me a few years ago when I decided that I could go to a curly-hair specialist and pay to get a really great cut that worked with my hair instead of against it. I was surprised how much confidence that inspired in me (and told the inner critic who judged that as shallow to go jump in a lake).

BillBlueEyes: My brother (Libertarian) and me (bleeding-heart liberal) have had some terrific discussions in recent years. We get the biggest kick out of reaching a small place of agreement in a conversation where we started very far apart.

AZtricia 04-12-2014 07:34 PM

Walked around today's airshow at the base. My feet are sore and nose stuffy from all the junk the high wind picked up. We did not see anything flying because the wind stayed too high once we'd arrived. Otherwise a fine day: groceries collected and OP.

CeeJay 04-12-2014 08:43 PM

Hello Beck Friends,

Had an absolutely terrible day with food yesterday. Thursday was fine. I ate all my planned food and stayed on track. I did not have a plan for Friday except to start the day with breakfast in a restaurant, which is one of the steps in the Diet Fix. Shouda had a plan. :doh: I ordered 2 poached eggs and 2 pancakes. I thought that was manageable- not the lowest calorie but not out of control either. Next thing you know I was going out to lunch (chicken fingers, fries and gravy- groan). Which led to chocolate at work in the afternoon and lots of chips on the ride home and pizza for dinner. I felt bloated and ill all night. What was that??? I just totally lost focus and went into a bunch of sabotaging thoughts like- "today I don't care", "I will stop tomorrow", "I don't care" and "I deserve this". Ya right!!!

Today happy to say I am eating 100% on plan so far and am moving on.

Check in tomorrow.
:grouphug:

nationalparker 04-12-2014 11:12 PM

Long day - but actually, despite the stress, notched a few credits. I ordered thai dinner to get something different in, and will get three meals from the one dinner. Typically the takeout meal is able to be split in two solid meals, so credit for reducing portions a bit more. Didn't snack - despite desire to, so taking a credit there.

My dad is struggling today - and I'm finding it hard to walk the line between not angering him with checking if he took pain meds, etc., and urging him to do so. I don't want to rock the boat when I still have nearly two weeks here. This will be the longest I've ever been back at their home :) Got all my office work done a few minutes ago for tonight, so that's good. Will have the same tomorrow afternoon and night, so I'll be in good shape on Monday.

Maryann - Love the new 'do! I like your way of thinking - these are the things you deserve!

6CrowsGold - Congrats on the loss - you're chugging right along. Pass me the key to your success :)

CeeJay - Great job moving on - that's in the past and glad to hear today went well.

GardenerJoy - I'm right there with you on the doggy bags - I think sometimes taking the best parts of different ways of approaching successful eating plans is what will work for us. I am one who doesn't want to throw out food I've paid for, especially meat, ethically I think that's wrong. But sometimes we completely stretch out the leftovers, adding vegetables, etc., and it's worked out well.

AZTricia - Oh, I envy you the airshow. I LOVE airshows and the static displays. While growing up my dad would have me look up in the sky to ID planes :) Oh, a C-141 ... F-16 ... that's a C-5, etc. But more importantly, I'm so excited for you as you're hitting that midway mark here soon close to 50 pounds down- look at you and the progress you've made - phenomenol!

Bill - Your interests run such a gamut - impressive. Wondered if you'd ever read, "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel ... I enjoyed her book, "Longitude" - quick read on a topic that I never really thought about, prior to selecting it. Now I keep encouraging DH to read it, he let it sleep on his nightstand, untouched, for too long for me to admit to, before I finally reshelved it.

onebyone 04-12-2014 11:24 PM

Saturday

Coaches

Tonight I have a glorious facial sunburn and forearm burn (both minor but I am red and can feel it). We actually had enough sun that I got that today as I sat outside on a town-owned picnic table beside the guild sign I made with the members last summer, which survived all the mess of the trees cracking and breaking and landing on stuff, but missing the sign (thank goodness). I marveled that the sign survived the freeze, thaw, ice, wind and snow we had. I felt sure we did do a great job! And so I thought on all these things as I soaked up the rays while I coloured my pots with underglaze to finish them off in the kiln later this week. I still need to coat them in clear glaze to give them, some of them, a shiny surface. I'll be back there early tomorrow before anyone else shows up to do that.

2 interesting things came up though while I sat outside baking in the sun. 1) my guild friend who always stops by to pick me up and who has indeed become a good friend who I can easily laugh with (so rare and so very important to me) listened as I read her the description of the mentorship opportunity and she, without hestitation, offered to be what in other circles would be termed "an assistant". She said she'd help me fire my work, and help me solve problems with the construction, just basically be along for the ride. Such an offer of total support. I was very grateful.

And then 2) another guild member who had taken up my challenge of making something out of 1lb of clay during one of our community demos (he throws clay on the wheel. I don't and don't really care too--except in the idea that I *should* be able to do everything/have a minimal amt of competence in everything related to the fields I work in) saw that I was working on the surface of the small vase I asked him to make. He also made a tall cup and a pasta bowl, all from 1lb of white clay all within 10 minutes for each object, all while I dictated the form and he sought to make it. I was amazed that he would even listen to me let alone try it! So I ended up with all three things that he made at my direction and today he suggested that we truly collaborate. He is happy to make the forms if I want to finish them/work their surfaces. I was stunned as he is someone who is kind of a loner and kind of a hard a*s sort of, well not really that but he has a reputation as being sort of fussy, but he sees us as having very different skill sets so we bring different things to the table. He likes my loose approach and my willingness to be experimental and to "just try it". While I admire his throwing and appreciate it, I truly don't desire to work that way. I like rough edges, stuff that might cut you, I want to see the material I am working with. I just like that. So working on his stuff which is very fine, very smooth, very even, very clean and neat, is interesting and a real blank canvas for anything. Anyway, that was today as I sat in the sun on the picnic table getting a sunburn. Very interesting what can come up sometimes.

So foodwise I didn't make a plan for today. I did eat breakfast, but completely missed lunch, working through it and not even thinking about food until I had to drive afterwards. It was DH who when I called to say I was coming home asked for me to bring some lunch as he was starving. Oh, me too I guess. So then I chose poorly (fast food) over ate, but skipped dinner. Truly not hungry. Tomorrow I must do better.

Yesterday I bought a skipping rope though. I had an urge to just try it out back during the day when no one is home. I tried it once about 10 years ago and it was shocking how few jumps I could do. Wow. I just think it would be fun and would feel a little silly and make me feel "young" or adventurous or something. Anyway I'm going to try it. I got a lime green rope with sparkles. 7feet in length. $1.25 so I can't go wrong really.

That's it. My coughing has amped up again. It comes and goes but when it shows up it won't stop so I need to go rest. I am 80% back to normal, though people are telling me the cough lasts and lasts and lasts.... we'll see.

Bye for now.

BillBlueEyes 04-13-2014 05:07 AM

Sunday - Scrabble Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Encountered a legitimate rare and unusual food opportunity at Whole Foods. Ana Sortum, herself, was serving samples of her Bulgur Pilaf with Turkish Spices & Pistachio Chef Set. Ana owns and chefs at Oleana - one of the best restaurants around. Just blown away. Naturally, I bought three each of two different ones for the Easter Baskets for my two kids and us. She so liked my description of making Easter Baskets with fruits and veggies instead of candy that she autographed the packages with "Happy Easter! Ana." So much fun for only the food intake of my allocated afternoon snack. I completed my shopping at Whole Foods without touching any other FREE sample. CREDIT moi for enjoying food and enjoying life while staying my path.

Sky was clear and weather warm enough for a delightful bird walk with 30 species including our first warbles of the season - some three Palm Warblers, always the first to arrive. My exercise walk, CREDIT moi, included the expected brief stop at Whole Foods where I encountered Ana and her Chef Sets.

onebyone – Just terrific that the sun has found Canada sufficiently for you to feel some burn. Love the range of your interests in creating art. Your $1.25 skipping rope is just the best investment in home gym. LMAO at "lime green with sparkles" - the visual always matters.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm with you on using the Doggie Bag as a strategy to bound eating at a restaurant. My take on the distinction is that a Philosophical Libertarian would refuse the Doggie Bag because all high caloric meals are bad while a Consequential Libertarian would be willing to compromise because the good of bounded eating at the restaurant outweighs the bad of high calorie food. [Monster Kudos to you and your brother, both, for being able to have political discussions with a family member.]

CeeJay - Ouch for the raft of Sabotaging Thoughts hitting you at once with Kudos for recognizing them for what they were. Double Ouch for fries and gravy (poutine?) setting you off. Kudos for the recovery, "on plan so far and am moving on."

Debbie (Lexxiss) and maryann – There's a Vitamix 3FC Thread in the "Does it Work" area - wondering if it's worth 400 Quid.

nationalparker – Three meals from one Thai order is super use of takeout. Kudos for staying focused on your eating even while you're working hard to help your father. [Loved Dava Sobel's Longitude, so Galileo's Daughter goes on the list.]

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for the exercise of stomping around an air base. It's on my Bucket List to see the boneyard of planes you guys keep out there in your dry air.

6crowsgold - Congrats on another butter box gone forever. Thanks for the reminder that a pound of butter, however large, when melted spreads thinly over the entire body. I'm so ready for my muffin-top to disappear.

Readers -
Quote:

day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
Let's say you give it a try for a day, a week, or many months. How do you know when you can stop? When you find that you're using the tools in this book consistently - and consistently losing weight - stop planning and see what happens. If you can follow your diet conscientiously, that's great. If not, go back to writing and monitoring for a while.

gardenerjoy 04-13-2014 11:44 AM

Day 9 of The Diet Fix is setting goals. I like his visualization exercise which is a bit more stream-lined and efficient than anything else I've seen. And, I've always loved SMART goals but have rarely applied them to my healthy lifestyle so that was good motivation! I'm setting up both SMART goals and visualization to continue tracking calories for the rest of April because I can already feel my energy lagging and I don't think that I've yet got the full benefit from the process.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +90 635/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Sending supportive thoughts to nationalparker -- sounds like you are being thoughtful and careful with relationships and food. Good for you!
My DH read Longitude and it's currently on my stack. That book is largely why we're planning a trip to England this fall. We're lucky to have it correspond with a new exhibit on longitude at the Greenwich Observatory. DH just bought Galileo's Daughter -- that will be next after he finishes devouring Michael Lewis' new book.

onebyone: love reading about your artistic adventures and collaborations. Contemplating that maybe if I actually work on my stuff that there might be similar help that would show up for me.

BillBlueEyes: what a great story to go along with your Easter Basket surprises!

AZtricia 04-13-2014 07:25 PM

Hello Coaches

Happy Sunday :)

I'm feeling toasted as dh and I went to remove the last few weeds (all giants hidden inside spiky landscape) and it is in the upper 80s with bright sunshine. Probably should have waited for evening! Rotisserie-ing two chickens. It is quiet because the boys went to play at the park.

OP

gardenerjoy Kudos for getting your goals done and working toward receiving the full benefit from your program.

BillBlueEyes Thanks for posting about tracking. I'm hoping eventually I won't have to track every day, but that is a ways off. Awesome food opportunity. Your Easter Baskets sound amazing. My favorite birds here right now are the hummingbirds, they are hilarious in their chasing and yelling at each other and such a variety of beautiful colors. BTW, marjoram fries sound delicious (and dangerous!) hope you enjoyed!

onebyone Awesome sounding Saturday. Hope your burn heals quickly and you enjoy your new partners and mentoring program.

nationalparker Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you are able to find a good balance with your dad. It is so hard for everyone when parents need extra care. My family is still not letting grandma stay alone after her fall and they found part of the cause was she was not taking one of her medications right...but she doesn't want anyone taking care and asking either.

CeeJay Kudos for back on plan and moving on.

6crowsgold Hurray for one more pound gone!

GosfordGirl Cool is wonderful, but standing so long in the rain - ouch! Hope you are feeling better today.

maryann
Love the new haircut, fun and flattering.

nationalparker 04-13-2014 10:41 PM

I wrote and deleted a note that was just griping about my sister butting into how I am doing things here (even to the point of her arguing with my mom about WHERE I PARKED WHEN I TOOK MOM TO CHURCH - Why I parked where I did and she's complaining from the other side of the country now). I cannot handle that and am extremely aggravated. But I know if I say something now to my sister, I will regret it at some point.

Light meals so far this trip. Did meal #2 from the thai order and have tomorrow's lunch left. I could eat more but this was sufficient. What a realization.

BillBlueEyes 04-14-2014 05:09 AM

Monday - Passover

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Indulged in a morning snack which I'd have normally skipped. A platter of HUGE fresh strawberries dipped in dark chocolate appeared. They just looked more luscious than my desire to skip my snack so I had one. Thank goodness that I do portion control on my snacks since I don't want to even guess how many calories. It was good enough to be worth it - and I still stay on plan for the day, CREDIT moi.

The rain stopped so I got to walk, CREDIT moi. Went past a Goodwill that had 50% off all 'yellow tag' items. Apparently, the masses beat me to it because I saw only red, orange, and blue tags left. Fortunate, because I didn't really need anything. I did pass a fast food place that sells falafel sandwiches with a bar of a zillion topping by the pound; gotta get back there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for responding to "energy lagging" with a plan rather than resignation.

nationalparker – Smart move to complain here about your sister to keep the stress level low as possible around your parents. There's no doubt that they already understand her role. And no doubt in my mind that they appreciate that you're not falling for the bait. It might help to pretend that it's a stranger talking to you so that you can just let it pass over - like you'd do if a stranger insisted that the sun went around the earth. Continue to send supportive thoughts. And Continued Kudos for getting three meals from that one Thai Restaurant order.

Tricia (AZtricia) - LOL at the interpretation that arises from reading your (condensed) post: "I'm feeling toasted ... dh and I ... in the upper 80s with bright sunshine ... Rotisserie-ing two chickens." Kudos for on-plan. [I'm so jealous of your hummingbirds. We have exactly one, the Ruby Throated Hummingbird.]

Readers -
Quote:

day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?

If you're having sabotaging thoughts, get ready to write your Response Cards.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't want to write anything down.
Helpful Response: Which is stronger: wanting to lose weight or not wanting to be inconvenienced? Since I do want to lose weight, I'm going to start writing. It'll probably take only five minutes. I have a choice. I can listen to the resistant part of my mind, or I can firmly and decisively decide to do the writing, even though I feel resistant. It's great practice to ignore my resistant feeling because they'll come up again and again when I don't feel like following my eating plan.

GosfordGirl 04-14-2014 05:16 AM

Monday evening

Coaches

I am checking in before it gets late and I don't do it! So it is a fly-by. It took a while to recover from Saturday in the rain etc - I was really uncomfortable and couldn't do gym Saturday nor did I have time on Sunday. The body is feeling a bit better today. AND I have completed my last lecture/tutorial preparation for 5 weeks so I get to catch up on work and keep my weekends for myself! And I get to read Diet Fix over Easter :cp:. Plus the garden needs some serious attention.

This list below shows a bit of a theme - not a lot of credits happening today or yesterday

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - Yes - had a plan for lunch and breakfast and dinner seems in order
  • Planned food for tomorrow - not yet
  • I logged food as I ate it - no
  • Weighed myself and logged it - no - need to do that
  • Did planned exercises - 9800 (should run up the street) and 23 active minutes - highest number so far. Didn't get to gym as planned
  • I didn't eat standing up - who knows - :shrug: - oblivious today
  • Listened to motivation recording - not yet
  • Made time for diet and exercise - missed gym - scheduled for tomorrow along with acupuncture

AZtricia 04-14-2014 11:11 AM

Just a quick check in to say, YEAH one more pound gone! I'm only 3 pounds from 1/2 way done, so I'm going to see if I can do it by the end of the month.

GosfordGirl Hurray for caught up and prepared. Hope you enjoy your book.

nationalparker So sorry you have to deal with sis drama. Kudos for light meals.

BillBlueEyes LOL at your response. If I'd been out any longer, grilled pink would be a reality. The sun is intense enough here to fry eggs on the sidewalk in the summer and at least two friends have solar power ovens (that work well!) using the sun's heat not solar panels.

Common Hummingbirds here:
Annas
Black Chinned
Costas
Broad-billed **my favorite :)
Broad-tailed
Rufous
with another 10 types rarer, or not often seen in the city.

6crowsgold 04-14-2014 01:41 PM

Monday!

OP entirely on Sunday despite some real drama and difficulties over something concerning my son. Held on tightly through the evening.

Today received good news regarding DS's school, but still no resolution to Sunday's problem.

Having to sternly say to myself that "I wouldn't paste a strip of bacon on my hand if I cut it, so food won't fix this problem either!" Silly, but thinking food will solve this dilemma--just as unrealistic.

CeeJay : Kudos for picking yourself up and dusting yourself off!

BBE: Yes! on Easter baskets of fruit!

gardenerjoy : My son gets the doggy bags for lunch--no sweat as he is underweight and we're always pressed for quick meals for him.

nationalparker: When I was 25, I was my Dad's sole caregiver the year he died. Hands down it was the hardest time of my life. Kudos to you for even getting through the day!

onebyone: Kudos for knowing you need the plan!

GosfordGirl: Hooray for "Catching Up!"

AZtricia: I'm right there with you. Two pounds from being halfway and hoping to even make that point by the end of April!

Best to all!

gardenerjoy 04-14-2014 04:53 PM

Late and short today. I haven't even read Day 10 of The Diet Fix so I can't report on that. Maybe tomorrow!

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +40 675/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes