3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/291089-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-january-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 01-07-2014 07:52 AM

Tuesday - Polar Vortex Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Streak to 48 by skipping all three snacks, CREDIT moi; food was on plan including a new lentil dish for dinner that made it a vegetarian day. I got home from a meeting later in the evening and had planned to have some mixed fruit that DW had made earlier in the day. But I skipped it when I had the thought that I didn't need to feed myself just thirty minutes before going to bed. Calories saved: ~50; Resistance Muscle exercised: priceless.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library to get a book I'd requested. It felt silly to pull up the windshield wipers on our cars up (to prevent freezing to the windshield) while it was warm and raining. It's 15 F here now. I wish all of you well who are enduring the Polar Vortex more directly.

onebyone – Good luck at your MRI today. Goodbye Aria scale - "seamless" doesn't count when it never starts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I do like the encouragement that a streak is forming a habit. I've read 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 9 weeks. All of those numbers make me happy since they're not 52 weeks.

CeeJay - Kudos for acceptance with, "Movin on...." Have a good two weeks.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Checking the restaurant menu in advance is such a good idea, Kudos. I need help understanding "butchers food."

nationalparker – LOL at the buffet for your hawk combined with a grimace at the bit of truth in it. In any case, birds do get more exposed in cold weather. Hope you figure it out, " "Free" food is an issue for me and I'm not sure why." I used to believe that it was related to not having much money as a kid, but stopped believing that when I realized that I NEVER had any food-insecurity (the new measure of social hunger). Good luck getting your head ready for that cruise.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for " leftover cookies to work." You got me on this, "I know the even-7s happen on Tuesdays." Is 7 ever even?

LoseToAll - Congrats on getting back to Christmas weight.

Maura (Moebug) - Super Kudos for " the ENTIRE day eating sitting down at the table!" Yep, it does change our attitude toward food. St. Kitts in February sounds fun. Eating without distraction is a strategy that I work only every now and then to remind myself to pay attention to my food. It works for me to read if I'm eating alone with effort made to taste the food and to eat mindfully.

AZtricia - It's great that you're off to a running start. Kudos for giving yourself credits for the steps you've taken. Would you care to share with us some of the Advantages you've written? Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:

day 9 Select an Exercise Plan

what are you thinking?
Use the following helpful responses to common sabotaging thoughts to create inspiration for making additional cards.

Sabotaging Thought: I'm too busy to exercise.
Helpful Response: I have to make exercise a priority. If I needed to exercise each day to stay alive, I'd find the time. I might have to get up earlier in the morning to fit it in, but I shouldn't fool myself into thinking that exercise is optional.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 111.

AZtricia 01-07-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes (Post 4913136)
:welcome: AZtricia :welcome:

And, on the occasion of your first post, :wel3fc:

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this forum on the 3 Fat Chicks site?

:carrot: Wow! That has to be my brightest welcome ever. I found both the book and 3FC by internet search. I've tried and failed at dieting enough times that I wanted to learn not to sabotage myself and give up. I asked my mom & sis to join me doing the pink book, but they must not be ready. Finally found a local lady willing but her life has been one stress after another this last few months so I've been lacking the unaccountably to stay on task and let things slide. I've owned the book well over a year now and need to just DO it!

I had surgery 8 weeks ago and the fast really taught the lessons on hunger and cravings, I have much less trouble with snacking and stopping with one serving. Actually, when I started recording my food again yesterday, I found that I was eating too little and that is why I've not lost weight over the last month. :dizzy:

My most difficult tasks are actually reading my response cards and exercise. I get sore easily and am slow so it is discouraging.

AZtricia 01-07-2014 11:10 AM

onebyone - hope your MRI went well and that your stress is down.

CeeJay Technology :dizzy: hope you can figure out your new cell phone.

Moebug Yeah for eating sitting down!. Credit+++

bethFromDayton Great on waiting to eat, and taking the cookies so they aren't such a temptation.

LoseToAll Hurray, for down to Christmas weight :D Best of luck of exercising!

seadwaters Great credits! I have trouble with not tasting vegies as I cut them, but give yourself credit that it is healthy food! Hope you have fun at the restaurant.

BillBlueEyes Great job on the resistance muscle, that is one of my favorite analogies! Brrrr, 15 degrees! I so don't miss living in the cold zone! Sending warm thoughts your direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes (Post 4913142)
[B]...
AZtricia - It's great that you're off to a running start. Kudos for giving yourself credits for the steps you've taken. Would you care to share with us some of the Advantages you've written? Glad you've joined us.

My advantages:
I won't feel so self conscious.
My feet won't hurt and I will be less stiff.
I'll feel better physically.
I'll feel better emotionally.
I'll sleep better and have more energy.
I wont overheat as easily.
I'll look better
I'll be able to wear a smaller size.
I'll be in better health (was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and have already kicked that! :carrot:)
I'll be able to exercise w/o discomfort.
I'll feel more in control
I'll be able and willing to do more activities with my family.
I'll feel less guilty about food.

maryann 01-07-2014 11:48 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

I bestow upon myself the Susie Homemaker Award for the Day. Determine to ignore that I was sick, I tried three new recipes - the split pea soup was fab with the homegrown bacon strips flavoring it; the no work bread was restaurant quality; and last night I made my first turkey sausage and bell pepper calzone - a Cooking Light Recipe. I also finished a DYI project creating a home charging station for our many phones from an elegant sushi plate box set I have never used. Really! I drilled holes in the back of the box and the phones fit beautifully on each of the plates. No kidding. THEN since the station was red and in my mudroom, I looked around at the incredibly faded and stained ironing board cover and decided to sew a beautiful new red one. I tossed the similarly discolored valance i had sewn and made a new one out of two beautiful, unused rooster dish towels from Williams and Sonoma I had been saving.

Wow! There are several ways to look at this burst of energy. As Beck urges, I found creative energy in non food interests. I was not hungry all day and was completely OP. Or you could surmise I am embracing Frugal January and using up what I have. You could also say I hate being sick and refuse to go down without a fight. Who knows.

The result is a OP day under my belt, a beautiful new room and a trip to the Doctor for antibiotics because I was noticeably worse last night. That is the good, the bad and the ugly of being little old human me.

bethfromdayton: What a powerful post about your party weekend. It takes a lot of courage to take responsibility for what is going in your mouth and then accepting the reality of 5,000 calories. I am guessing there are few of us on this blog that have not eaten the same amount repeatedly over our lives. How did I get to be over 200 pounds? Like Beck says, it was not "magic." Numbers don't lie. My best hope is for us to be kinder to ourselves. Credit for new resolve and back on track. This is a long race.

Welcome Aztricia.

nationalparker: Good Luck with that cold weather. I thought of you Eastern/Northerners in the 49ners/Green Bay game. Miserable. Don't worry about the cruise. There are lots of solutions for you when the time comes. Focus on today's healthy eating and it will all be fine. (I say to both you and me at the same time.)

nationalparker 01-07-2014 02:01 PM

City still asked to stay indoors for the most part with the -25 wind chills - was -15 when I got up this morning and has been rising - should be above zero with the regular temp here soon.

Finished shoveling out again - the winds moved our snow back onto the driveway and sidewalks/walkways, so got in some activity with that and digging a neighbor out who got stuck in his driveway. Waiting for another to return home from a trip to try to help him dig out - but if I get started before they get back, it'll likely drift back in so quickly.

After sister lost five more pounds on ww, I talked to DH about being a bit envious/excited for her and wished that I would see more success... what did he see that we needed to do? He said get rid of the sweets were a big thing for him. OK, what do I need to "hide"? I'm good with keeping them away and putting something small in his lunch now and then. He also mentioned that we eat too much bread. I immediately got panicky/defensive. No, we don't! We eat a few slices and the rest goes out for the birds!! Okay, well, he added it's the pasta and pizza and potatoes. To be completely honest in this forum, my brain started racing - NO, we DON'T ... we just don't eat enough veggies and other stuff ... My kneejerk reaction to possibly having these foods cut back even MORE was apparent to me. I feel like we've cut way back on the portions of pasta/bread products. Now and then I'll whip up something with a simple carb as the base (cappellini al aglio e olio or baked potato soup) but it's in limited quantity and not daily or weekly. This has me thinking I need to include him more in the meal planning. I'll give that a try today and see where we end up.

LuLu01801 01-07-2014 03:40 PM

hi everybody!!
I'm doing very well, reading posts, but not posting myself.
just trying to simplying as I begin this new year.
after a rough December, my food is now in control, I feel really good and I'm in a good place.
I read posts here from time to time, keeping up with you all.

Question for Bill . . . where do you order your seeds from?
I would like to order seeds and would like a recommended source from somebody that knows.
also, do you plant your whole garden from seed?
do you plant the seeds in the ground or in small containers first and then transplant to ground?
WOW, I know planting time is not close, but just talking about it and planning for it feels so GOOD!!!

Lulu

pamatga 01-07-2014 04:15 PM

Hello fellow "Coaches":

:welcome: back, lulu! You were missed and I thought of you often.

:welcome2: AZtricia . Glad you found this discussion group and online support. I enjoyed reading your Advantages. Yes, BDS is what is needed to stop sabotaging ourselves and start supporting ourselves through our thoughts then behavior. "Getting off the proverbial merry go round" is exactly what brought me to BDS.

losetoall: Congrats on the weight loss.

onebyone: Great Job on doing non-food activities which end result was great looking furniture and a 2 lbs weight loss. That is definitely fulfilling Day 41's "To Do List".

Thoughts and prayers go out to you for your MRI results.

bethfromdayton: thank you for sharing your struggles. I can guarantee you that this time next year you will be sharing with the group how "far" you come in this area. I believe 'self-knowledge' is empowering. Boy, sounds like you were preparing to feed a small army. I love leftovers and plan my future meals accordingly. I would have loved to have been the recipient of some of your "care packages". :p I know I would have made good use of them.

maryann: I too find that the best way to stay out of the kitchen and my hands out of food containers is to work on my "busy list". You are walking the walk. Thank you for sharing about the known allergens. It is also interesting that the first two are also "red flagged" for being GMOs and most altered food substances (corn and soy) in our "market basket". Also read: the cheaper the food, the more it has been damaged, altered and destroyed of most of the nutrients it started out with. Thank you for sharing.

:welcome2: moebug : Congrats on the decades of sobriety. To add my 2 cents worth in the ongoing conversation about what diet plan (maybe you have moved past this already, I don't know). I changed my food plans once since beginning using the BDS two years ago. I did this when I discovered that I was "pre-diabetic" but found that losing 40 lbs did not lower my FBG that much. I had to up my game and I have been following a restricted calorie and carb diabetes weight loss plan since last July.

My challenge at this point is to not eat more than 60 grams of carbs per meal. Last summer; I sat in on a diabetic online support group and realized that these are the folks who are really in the trenches daily because managing diabetes is all about monitoring food intake. I learned a massive amount from those people; many who had been doing it all their natural lives. I am grateful for last summer's lessons. I know they will serve well for many years to come.

nationalparker: I shouldn't say this but I did smile when you started saying "but I don't eat that much....". I have been there....and the t-shirt is worn out from years....you know what I mean! Now, I measure everything that I eat (have for the past 2 years now) and I used a meal recently to "teach" my DH about his portions. He fills a favorite serving bowl with my homemade chicken noodle soup. I put the same amount of soup (pre-measured 1 cup) in a bowl. I told him: "You routinely eat 4x the amount as suggested serving." :o Just saying, with much love and concern for him. :hug: The difference between small, medium and large produce is another area that requires a keen eye of observation. I haven't got it down pat but I am "learning".

BBE: I was just sharing with DH about your "story" about the orange before bedtime. I think it is moments like this that define what the BDS is all about. We go from being "automatic" eaters to eating more consciously and mindfully: Day 5 in pink book. Thank you both bethfromdayton and ForMyGirls also for sharing your "a-ha" moments as well.

I just had one today myself. I always eat the whole portion of almost everything but when I reviewed that my Diabetes weight loss food plan template shows a lot of 1/2 serving portion sizes. I realized that I had "always" assumed when I was pre-measuring that I should follow the label's instructions and eat one serving size. Well, one serving size can (and sometimes is) "too much": calories, carbs, sodium, whatever, "pick your poison." So, today I pre-measured yet another food item into 1/2 serving size. I am beginning to like this "mini" size now. My refrigerator is getting a lot of smaller containers of food but "someday" those mini-sized leftovers will translate into a "mini-sized" ME!:D I do like THAT "cause and effect."

Love your stories of cold hands but warm heart for your Northern birds. I wonder if they know we are viewing them. There was a great movie I saw this past fall (can't remember the name) where there was an annual competition to see a specific amount of birds but they were all over the world and this was a race so the whole movie about these "birders" chasing down these rare sightings of these specific birds. It is definitely a good 'watch' to behold.

seadwater: I am fascinated by your telling about fermented foods. I have been a big fan of daily yogurt and I turn to yogurt before I ever reach for the Tums (which I almost never need or use). I will have to look up those books. Yes, it is believed that most food-borne illnesses do start in the gut so that it is where we need to go to first to "fix the problem". My MIL has C-DIF which took her doctors almost two years to diagnose. Tough call for an 86 year old woman but now that she is following a gluten-free food plan, she is much better. She nearly died from this.

I love the quote about the Personal Capital. I too have realized almost everything is limited (except love and forgiveness) and we need to use our resources wisely and thoughtfully.

CeeJay: Congrats :bravo: on breaking the 290s. Keep up the good work!

vegan..rex: yes, a "clean slate". I have done a year end "review" for nearly 20 years plus now and this past year was no different. I love January now(used to hate it) because it is time to set the foundation for the year ahead. I hope yours (and everyone else here) is great!

gardenerjoy, lexxis and silverbirch: Hey y'all!

If I have missed anyone, I apologize. This group is expanding once again, which is good but it means learning new names, histories, etc. and that I am determined to do.:book2:

Credit: exercised every day since the beginning of this New Year. I had a routine that worked for me in 2013 so I dusted that off and I am back at it. Side benefit: I sleep more soundly. In fact, some nights I think I "died" but then I awake to the frigid air. :brr:

Credit: I really don't know if I should even mention this since this is an established habit of mine for nearly 2 1/2 years but I do log my food every day. I only miss it when I have the flu. However, since I am now getting extra credit for it in a former group that I rejoined I thought that I would mention it. Side benefit: when I discovered that diabetes was something in my life, I had already been logging my food so adding monitoring carbs was not 'that big of a deal' for me. It might have been otherwise if I hadn't.

Credit: Service. This is a "biggie" for me as a person of 18 1/2 years of 12 Steps recovery behind me. In fact, I am calling this the "Year of Service". I want to give back what has been given me. I am leading a weight loss challenge, mentoring a depressed, overweight woman as well as being a part of a core accountability group. I am spread all over the place. So far it is working. When it ceases to cause some ripples in my own efforts then I will have to re-evaluate at "what cost" it comes at. For now, A-OK.;) Side Benefit: I am gifting myself. The circle is unbroken...

Now, the toughie part of losing weight (for me anyway) is being patient to see that scales shows all of my efforts. :goodscale: I know that I am doing my best :frypan:but I so want to add a snow person on my "line up". Such tension. Such Drama! :rofl: Silly, silly me!

Love, Pam :comp: :coffee2:

onebyone 01-07-2014 05:12 PM

fears. phooey.

Coaches

Well I now know what "getting an MRI" means. They gave me earplugs! The machine makes every noise I have ever heard in science fiction movies. I can't say I was fond of this experience. While not uncomfortable, and not painful in any way, being in a machine you can't get out of at will is unnerving. At times I was totally ok and relaxed but I had a couole of very small moments when I wanted out. I reminded myself how FORTUNATE I am to be able to have this test, which seems so science-fictiony (the tech told me the machine turns my body's atoms upside down and the machine also magnetizes me and so the machine can then read/photograph the patterns my magnetized flesh(imagine that) gives off. AT keast that's how I understand it. But once she said "turns my atoms upside down" I was floored.

*credit* for planning for the end of the fast. I placed a protein drink into the car's cupholder so I would drink that (hoping it wouldn't freeze in the meantime -it was ok) when I got out of the test. It was a good plan. I had been fasting since 9pm last night and was done at 1pm. The drink allowed me to further plan my food for tonight and to walk the aisles of Costco without even a thought at trying their samples. Why they had so many samples going on on a Tuesday afternoon is beyond me. Around every corner there were samples, including samples of Kirkland brand chocolate milk! What's that about? Do you think there are people who have never tasted that? It must be to set up a craving in the person who tastes it and then they go buy some. What was weird today though was that due to the extreme cold the store was pretty empty. NONE of the sample stations had people at them except for one: tilapia fish breaded with panko. SHe had a line up. Go figure.

Weighwise: I *credit* weighed in at 264.8! I made my 1st 5lb off goal. Now, I'm not so sure if it "counts" as it's not official weigh in day. What do you guys think?? I am so anxious to see 2 movies in a row at the theatre as my reward! I guess I have to see if it hold until Saturday, my official weighin. I am working on goal 2 - a repeat of goal 1: 5lbs and two movies!

Planned Exercise: I stopped by my gym this morning. I have arranged to have 2 personal training sessions with this great trainer there named Olyssea. I am going to work with her for 30min every other Monday. I can afford that and it is just often enough ti keep me *conscious* of having to eet her and having to answer whether I actually did my exercise or not. I need to be acountable and I need to take this seriously. I'm ready to accept this in my life. The MRI today reminded me I want to stave off the world of medicine for as long as I can. I am in no hurry to have a life defined by medical appointments. Not yet please.

Bye fir now!

gardenerjoy 01-07-2014 07:57 PM

My 100% OP streak count is 7.

We're shoveled out from our 10-inch snow of Sunday. A nephew came to help -- amazing how much snow a strong young man can move! Of course, he didn't leave it as clean as we would, so I assigned him the big jobs and just cleaned up after. For me, it was easier than a normal snow storm. He appreciated the applesauce bread pudding and cash. Everyone's happy.

I still struggled with the desire to overeat while snowed in yesterday, but it was better than the day before. Resisting one day made it easier to resist the next. That's good to know. Today was much easier, because I no longer felt snowed-in, even though we weren't done until nearly dark -- we had a plan to get shoveled out and apparently that was enough.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +15 285/1400 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

LuLu01801: I like rareseeds.com but I'm kind of biased since it's a Missouri-based company. I like best the things from seeds that I can sow directly in the garden -- my best luck is with chard, kale, and zinnias. I start tomatoes from seed indoors. Most of the rest I grow from plants.

ForMyGirls 01-07-2014 09:49 PM

Having proclaimed that "this is just what I do" yesterday turned out to be a day in which being 100%OP was something I just DIDN'T DO. Got distracted in the morning so didn't do all my health tasks and only realised at half 5, but which time I just said "too bad" and accepted that my streak would go to 0. There was certainly time to get it done, so I recognise this was a choice I made and am accepting that imperfection.

What I am pleased about though is that a) I didn't use my decision to let the streak go as an excuse to go crazy and really blow it - in fact although I also forgot to track my food I am pretty confident it owuld have been within maintenance calories for the day, and possibly even within my weightloss limit. And b) as I made the decision to let the streak go back to 0 I also decided, almost effortlessly that I would be back on track today - and I am so. So thank you Beck for these skills. Credit to me for getting back on track and for limiting my off plan behaviour!

Before I forget - team total is now 125!

Did a bunch of thinking this morning about why I 'forgot' yesterday and I think there were a couple of factors: 1. I am really begrudging having to do work while I am on holidays. As work goes it is definitely at the funner end of the spectrum but I really like to keep the boundary clear when I am on leave. So I think that has gotten me into a bit of a "no fair" headspace. 2. I have been being slack about bedtime and took it to a whole new level the last 2 nights by staying up playing with a funky new app on my iPad until 1am and 3am. I keep making a vow to leave the iPad in the loungeroom when I go to bed. Perhaps as I restart my streak I should make that an essential component of 100% OP. Proper rest is SOOOO crucial to my wellbeing and when I am back at work I won't have time to recover from staying up late. Hmm - it has been useful to talk this through.

AZTricia Welcome! I hope that you will find that this board gives you the support space you have been trying to find for the last year. I find it incredibly helpful having people at some different stages telling their experiecnes. It is inspiring to be reminded of the essentials by people who are just starting - and at the same time so reassuring and empowering to see people reaching their goals, overcoming challenges and also to have a number of people on the forum who are in maintenance. It is SOOO helpful to know that people get there, and stay there even with hiccups along the way.

Moebug - I so hear you on the eating without distraction is boring. I have to confess I rarely do it as I find it excruicating! Though having said that maybe I will revert to it for my morning coffee. I did find it quite lovely to stop and really taste it and enjoy the warmth. And I think it was a good way to centre me in myself at the beginning of a day. Thanks for the inspiration

Maryann - congrats on the Susie Homemaker award! I am also enjoying the discovery that I can do stuff for free - though I think my home improvements lack the aesthetic of yours. I claim a genetic predisposition to privileging function over form as my excuse!

National Parker - what a great solution to include your DH in dinner planning - great to see you thinking that through here

Lulu - lovely to see your cheerful face and posts back amongst us

Pam - how wise you are to be reality checking whether your year of service is overloading you - you can't help others if you aren't helping yourself hey?

bethFromDayton 01-07-2014 11:00 PM

Hi all,

Today was a good OP food day, although not planned in advance. I ended up working from home (it was -7 F when I would have left for work). Breakfast, lunch, snack, were all OP. Then our house guest (who can't go home until Indiana roads recover) offered to take us out to dinner. He loves our local Chinese buffet--and I vetoed it--we went to a place where I can get a fantastic salad with tons of fresh veggies and flavorful salmon.

So, that left today OP and day 28 of recording everything.

I need to start incorporating exercise, though--we're expecting some above-freezing weather later this week, so I'll be willing to get outside!

Take care, all.

GosfordGirl 01-08-2014 05:22 AM

Hi Coaches

Credit for checking in
Credit for planning food for today even if it didn't work out
Credit for doing more than twice my planned steps (11,100)
Credit for logging food into MFP

Today was interesting. I prepared my first batch of Sauerkraut - not sure how it is going as waiting for it to produce enough brine. I also made a batch of beef bone broth. Both of these are supposed to help with gastro-intestinal health and therefore overall health.

I had to change plans for lunch as the restaurant I had planned for had had a broken water pipe and couldn't open for lunch. So we went next door and I had the safest item on the menu. The owner took a photo of us all and then decided he was giving us (the two supervisors and the student returning to Jakarta) a treat. The treat was ice-cream, coconut syrup, and pancakes (green) filled with coconut filling of some sort. I ate it - oh well - not quite on plan but definitely rare and unusual food.

I was going to do a longer post but it got later and later. So goodnight coaches and may your planning be useful.

BillBlueEyes 01-08-2014 06:47 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, especially since I had to dress warmly enough to walk there through the Polar Vortex. It was the first time I've done gym with both legs and arms covered - even though the gym is obviously heated, I think I can still feel the outside temperature.

Eating was on plan including skipping two of my planned snacks, CREDIT moi, so that I'm streaked to 49. Evening snack was the mixed fruit served by DW. I immediately wanted the Louisiana Navel Orange next; gotta take into consideration in the future that mixed fruit, however wonderful, doesn't trigger my I've-just-eaten button - it just slides down like a milkshake or something. I noted with a silent smug that the bags of nuts that I bought from Trader Joe's weeks ago haven't run out yet. During my recent period of over-snacking, I was taking frequent trips to Trader Joe's.

onebyone – Thanks for the dramatic description of the "science-fictiony" world of an MRI. Reminds me when I had one on my leg and was given a choice of music; I chose Beethoven's Sixth Symphony to calm me down. After the attendant had left the room and locked the door, the machine started with Beethoven's . . . FIFTH. I nearly jumped out of the machine, LOL. Super Kudos for avoiding samples at Costco. A nearly empty Costco would be a strange site indeed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Great reminder, "Resisting one day made it easier to resist the next." I'd be willing to help shovel your snow for applesauce bread pudding.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – 11,100 steps is a goodly walk there, Kudos. I especially admire giving yourself credit for "Credit for planning food for today even if it didn't work out" - reminds me that credit isn't just for perfection. Don't know what I'd have done facing green pancakes filled with coconut- the image doesn't grab me, LOL.

Pam (pamatga) – Yes, this patience thing is a challenge. Love the "drama" waiting for the snow person.

Susie Homemaker (maryann) - Your sushi home charging station just cracks me up - what imagination. I'm moved by this thought, "I found creative energy in non food interests" - glad to be reminded that when my brain tries to focus on food, I can find something else.

nationalparker – Congrats to your DH for thoughtful advise for preparing your environment including, "get rid of the sweets." Is "baked potato soup" different from potato soup?

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Your lunch of salmon and veggies sounds great - Kudos for directing the restaurant choice.

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Kudos for "now in control" - great start to the new year. [We buy seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds & Accessories. They're a family owned business just up the road in New Gloucester, Maine - inland and north of Portland. I have no idea how someone can run a business selling me seeds for as little as $1.50 a package. Beans, peas, and lettuce are planted in the ground. Tomatoes, cukes, basil, and parsley are started in pots under a grow light. Kale and collards are started both ways for evolved, historic reasons.]

ForMyGirls - Super demo of getting right back on track - Super Kudos.

AZtricia - Neat that you learned about hunger from your pre-surgery fasting - it's easy to just be annoyed that you can't have food. It is difficult to exercise when it's physically challenging. Kudos for doing what you can - especially using your mantra "just DO it!" Thanks for sharing your ARC. "I'll be in better health" is one of those that make it easier to do more.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
Use the following helpful responses to common sabotaging thoughts to create inspiration for making additional cards.

Sabotaging Thought: It isn't worth it to me to exercise.
Helpful Response: Research shows that exercise is essential for most people to lose weight and to maintain their weight loss. If I want the benefits of being thinner, I have to exercise.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 111.

gardenerjoy 01-08-2014 09:42 AM

My 100% OP streak count is 8. I think that's the highest number I've put there.

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +160 445/1400 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: I've had a recent insight on sleep that it feels like it took me way to long to realize. I've had difficulty falling asleep since I was a child. I used to justify staying up late because it would make me more tired and I would sleep better. But I was wrong. When I go to bed late, I'm tense because I know I won't get enough sleep. It turns out that when I go to bed 8 hours or more before my normal wake-up time, I'm relaxed and the whole night goes better. Realizing that, I've become much better about getting myself to bed at a reasonable hour.
Great job on getting right on track. That, in the long run, is half the battle. These streaks are really useful. Teaching us two things that are so important to success -- persistence and getting right back to it.

BillBlueEyes: What a difference a number makes in Beethoven symphonies!

maryann 01-08-2014 11:40 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Long trip to the doctor who echoed my opinion - borderline case. "If you are not better in two days fill this prescription." For some reason, I hate the idea of this sinus thing lasting the average time. Don't I eat better than most? Do healthy food choices count for nothing? Then the Beck voice came in saying, "Oh Well." The plan for the day is to finish cleaning the house but I am going to only do what I can ( even though I blush at the dust). First things first - to the big box store to resupply smoothie fix ins: berries, spinach and vanilla. My order from VitCost (chia seeds, HTP5 and walnut oil) came in.

Pamatga: I have found a unwavering link between my exercise and how I sleep. I hope to get back to it as soon as i can be this sinus thing.

onebyone: interesting to think the samples are there on purpose to set up a craving. Hadn't really thought about it like that.

gardenerjoy: I think being snowed in would definitly start my mind planning for extra food.

ForMyGirls: Credit for not veering into insanity in the face of imperfection.

Thinking of all of you during this cold snap. We here in california are facing a disasterous drought. It is the driest record 18 month period since weather has been recorded here.

AZtricia 01-08-2014 11:59 AM

Good morning coaches! Funny thing about going back to tracking food (which I stopped before my surgery) is that I lost 3 pounds already! :D Nice when doing the right thing is also rewarding! Went to the animal shelter yesterday and adopted a dog to walk with me. Stayed on food plan, stopped eating ravioli at one serving even though I wasn't satisfied, and already took the new puppy for a walk today.

Credit: tracking food, reading ARC once (need to get that second time in!)

maryann the split pea soup sounds delish. Credit to you for finding creative energy in non food interests. I always need yogurt and probiotics with and after any antibiotics, or I end up with loosness and sugar cravings. You might want to try a probiotic too. Thanks for the nice welcome.

nationalparker sounds like a great idea to include your dh in the meal planning. I had huge positive results from switching to all whole grains for my carbs, I credit the whole grains for my first few pounds of loss as well as the completely healthy blood sugar (no more pokes!)[/QUOTE]

pamatga Thanks for the nice welcome! You are correct in this is just what I needed to stop sabotaging. Love the "mini-sized" me thought.:D Great job on exercising every day!!! So awesome to have a "Year of Service", I am sure it will be a huge blessing to you and to others.

onebyone I'm glad you made it through the MRI with no issues. Hope the results are positive too. Awesome job for planning a protein drink, sounds like it really helped you accomplish your goal of not sampling. WhoHoo on the pound. Sounds like Olyssea will be great accountability for you. a

gardenerjoy Great job exercising your resisting muscle. and great for staying on you food plan.

ForMyGirls Congrats for back on track today and sounds like a good decision about the better rest. Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to the encouragment of others walking the same road, and also those who've made it!

bethFromDayton Great job resisting the buffet!

seadwaters Wow, that is a lot of steps! I'd be interested to know how your sauerkraut comes out. I love homemade broth :) What are green pancakes?

BillBlueEyes Trader Joe's has many of our favorite foods too. Sounds like you are doing well on exercise an snacks.

maryann have you ever used xylitol for your sinuses? It is a natural sugar alcohol and is great for preventing sinus issues (and fixing them) with a saline/xylitol wash.

Lexxiss 01-08-2014 12:18 PM

Hi Coaches!
I was up early today, believe it or not, out on my front porch with a heat gun taking old paint off cabinet doors. It's not that I love that kind of job it's just that I know it's the only way that this project will ever finish. I did come in for coffee breaks and sanding but fortunately I didn't look at the thermometer until I was finished.... It was a muggy 17° lol.

Now after an hour drive I'm sitting waiting for my mom to finish her eye appointment. A stop at Home Depot then back home for an afternoon of work. We are going to have a massive declutter at the project before we start the kitchen countertop tomorrow morning.

Food choices have been decent and exercise(work stuff) is ongoing. I'm still weighing everyday and am grateful to be maintaining during this extended project (3 mos now) which is miles from my comfort zone. Life lessons, for sure.

MaryAnn, we both got sick, too, this winter and my DH shared some of your thoughts. I just took it as the sign to keep getting healthier. I'm going to start blending my own protein powder for our smoothies. I'm excited but we'll finish our commercial blend first.

I wish I could respond to everyone-my iPhone finger just isn't that fast. Lol....and here comes mom.

Lexxiss 01-08-2014 12:23 PM

AZtricia, please share about your new walking buddy! I would love to bring another soul home right now but understand timing isn't right. Our current rescue pup is high maintenance-a love bug with his own cardiologist$$. It's a first for me.

veganasaurusrex 01-08-2014 12:48 PM

Hi friends! For once I didn't vanish because I completely fell off the wagon and plummeted into a pile of vegan junk food. I got slammed with the flu and have just been laying in bed for days pondering what I assumed was my impending demise. At least that doesn't leave a lot of time for excessive over eating! But it's not a diet I recommend, trust me.

I'm back now! I'm not doing anything special other then following my current steps (eating sitting down, reading my ARC, eating slowly and mindfully). I'll start my next step when I'm more on top of things tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well!

AZtricia 01-08-2014 03:27 PM

Lexxiss Changed my Avatar to my new walking buddy. We are pretty sure he is a bichon. He is a real sweetie, 11 pounds of kisses and waggy tail. I hope he does not end up high maintenance $! He is pretty sad looking right now as he was matted and shaved unevenly as well as having his surgery recently at the shelter.

nationalparker 01-08-2014 04:36 PM

Streak will be at 5 at end of day - I'm going strong :) Words destined to bring me down, I know it.

Think my note about conversation with DH was poorly worded ... my issue is simple carbs; his is sweets. Clearly portion is both our issues, despite measuring at meals, apparently one more snack, then another, has been winding its way to us. Hopefully now with me tracking it all for me, that'll help. I am not one to cut out something that is healthy enough like a potato, keeping in mind the full spectrum of nutrients and minerals in foods, not just the calories, and if I don't douse it with butter or fry in fat, it's not inherently a bad choice. I think that's what hammered me a few years ago - focusing only on one aspect of a food. It's funny to stop and think - no pasta, well, wait - the Italians eat it plenty, and they're fine, in fact we push a Mediterranean diet here. Hmmm... they walk about 10x what we do and worry about 10x less :) Maybe that has something to do with it, too. Our life there was full of walking, and they sure don't eat whole wheat pasta all the time. Can you tell this was a journal entry in mine this morning to get my thoughts further ordered :) and away from what NOT to do and more toward what TO do.

I wanted to get out for a walk today and DH did a reconnaissance mission and said it was either icy or two-foot drifts and so let's wait a few days. Tried out my new yoga dvd. I need to get started with the basic basics again. My abs are non-existent.

AZTricia - What a cutie pie!! Good choice to go the shelter route. Ours has hair that keeps on growing (rather than fur - a poodle terrier that wandered up starving and 10 pounds below what her weight should be) and so we invested in good clippers and I do it when needed. It doesn't come out looking great each time :) but with the vet bills from other pets, we figure we save where we can.

Maryann - I completely get where you're coming at with the thought of okay, these healthy choices should be backing me up here with staying healthier! Good vibes flowing to you and VegansaurusRex for improved health!

More personals later! Oh, Bill - that Angels' Share movie was a DUD. Language was obnoxious and the characters weren't ones I had any compassion for, so it lasted about another 15 minutes and was turned off. Of course, I may be totally missing the mark, but I'm thankful that I didn't pay for it.

onebyone 01-08-2014 04:53 PM

another day in the suburbs

Coaches, Hello.

I *credit* weighed this morning at 0.7lb+=265.6 Great! thats 2 days at or below 265. (NOTE: my keyboard has decided to substitute French language accents for regular characters--so every time I want an apostrophe it gives me this: θ -- so my contractions wont have an apostrophe until DH comes home and tells me what to do! Mon Dieu! Sacre Bleu! or is that sacrebleucant do a question mark either)

After my day yesterday, which continued into the late evening as I chased down a prescription that ran out yesterday and everyone was at the clinic with the flu ( I got my shot-yay) and inspite of an appt I had to wait 1.5hrs past my appt time-Oh Well, I woke up today with an agenda to do... nothing. I didnt adhere to that. I dealt with a few boxes and just plain shoved stuff, in boxes, into my new cabinets. It looks like Ive made real progress so Im ok with that for now. Progress not perfection.

Foodwise I have tracked today *credit* and am on plan. I think though that I have re-think bunches of bananas. I cannot have just one. A hand of bananas tempt me to eat 2 at a time and then two more. On my foodplan, WW, fruits are 0 pts and so eating them is technically on plan but eating them like that is not right-its gorging and its not moderation. I cant be reinforcing that behaviour and so I may go back to buying my bananas in twos or threes. These were Costco bananas: good price for many. Price is not always the criteria I should follow.

Creatively I think I have come up with a project that could sustain me throughout the year. Its a painting project-large scale canvases and it is exciting to even think about it. Its definitely studio work. And tomorrow I start back at the ceramic studio. My ceramic friend is coming to get me so I cant wiggle out of it. Ive been considering what to make most of the day. No decisions yet. except for I think they will be figures made for the wall. Maybe.

Thats it. Im going to see if I can make a bit more progress with my clutter.

Bye for now.

bethFromDayton 01-08-2014 09:23 PM

Hi all,

Yesterday was my one year anniversary on 3FC and the Beck forum. One year. 50 lbs. 3 pants sizes.

Yesterday I didn't really sit and focus on the changes I've made, but today I did a bit.

With the exception of two travel work days, I haven't had a sweet snack at work in a year. I have a lot less "chub rub" and feel so much better. I can pick things up off the floor without a problem and no longer find it a strain to tie my shoes. Chairs are more comfortable. I don't even look like my driver's license photo anymore. When I have to lean over or sit on the floor, I can get up again without something to lean on and leverage. I don't feel squished in toilet stalls anymore. We eat way more fresh fruit and veggies than we ever have before. DH has also lost weight (~22 lbs).

Eating a healthful breakfast is easy for me--it's not a daily struggle. In fact, none of my 'regular meals' are a struggle. Eating out is still challenging at times--but we're doing it much less often than we used to.

Parties, well, I've made minimal progress there, and I still don't trust myself at a buffet restaurant.

I eat sitting down all the time not-at-parties and most-of-the-time at parties. I eat slowly and take small bites and think about my food and really taste it.

My plan for this upcoming few months is to really focus on party behavior and to get back into an exercise habit.

It's been an amazing year--thank you so much to all of you who have been here with me!

p.s. Weight at 180.6, 29 days on 'recording everything' streak.

ForMyGirls 01-09-2014 05:12 AM

Thanks Beth for sharing your 1 year reflections. It was very helpful to me - particularly as many of those changes ring bells for me.

Been another off plan day for me. I was OP yesterday but then i broke my own rule and took the iPad to bed with me. Aaagh. Very tired today after 3 nights of inadequate sleep so haven't done all my health tasks today. Haven't tracked my food today either but i am pretty sure it has been OK.

Not sure why I am doing this self- destructive thing with my sleep. Oh well. I am recommitting now to getting back on track starting right now. I will post to my money saving friends and then plan my food for tomorrow.

Credits : a struggle today. Being honest with you all. Acknowledging my errant behaviour without giving myself grief about it.

Thanks for being there.

GosfordGirl 01-09-2014 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Coaches
I lost everything I had entered (twice) because I went to page two to read the earlier set of postings. I couldn't believe it would lose what I had written in the text box - but it did. There you go. Now I need to reproduce it.

Firstly green pancakes - they are green from the Pandan leaf extract - Asian vanilla if you will - very perfumed and delicious. I have attached a picture of the pancakes - a particularly lurid shade of green. I entered the recipe into MyFitnessPlan (MFP) to find out the hit in terms of macro-nutrients and calories. Overall the sweet was worth 437 calories - a lot.

Today I received the first batch of kefir grains so started a batch of kefir so that is exciting to see how it will turn out

Today was not on plan - I met a friend for lunch and we fell upon a (fake) Mexican place - lots of calories and carbs and wheat - I had to go to the website to find their nutritional values to enter into MFP. More than I had planned. Back on the horse tomorrow

bethFromDayton - you have had such an amazing year - huge congratulations. When you summarise things like that it is impressive. Congratulations on the 29 day streak and a great weight after the holiday season
Onebyone - credit for tracking food and for staying at 265-266 - great effort.
AZtricia - yay for a new walking buddy - I get many more steps in with my dogs. They are currently holidaying with my sister but when they come back Saturday I am back to dog walking in the morning. They are a great motivation to keep moving. Tracking food is a powerful tool - and you are showing us all the benefits of it. Great list of advantages worth looking at several times a day
Vegan...Rex - Nice to see you back and well done for not completely falling off the wagon. Good to see it was "only" the flu that kept you away
Lexxiss - hope your mum's eye appointment went well. Credit for staying on plan
maryann - ouch for sinusitus - a really irritating problem. Take care of yourself and fill those prescriptions. Quite a burst of creative homely activity! Enough to distract one from grumbly tummies. I need many distractions when totally focussed on food
gardenerjoy - great that your streak count is 8 - keep at it
BillBlueEye - streak of 49 is pretty impressive. I agree with mixed fruit salad - far too easy to eat way too much. Having had another recent MRI, if they had played the fifth I would have had a major nervy I think. Yay for nuts left uneaten or unbought.
ForMyGirls - ouch for streak at zero. I hear you about working on leave - having just spent 2 weeks of leave to get a student dissertation finished I feel a bit disgruntled. But that is just how it happens sometime and I can always recoup it somehow
Pamatgo - best of luck with adding that snowperson. Yes gut health is becoming the centrepiece of many plans and healthful ways of living
LuLu - welcome back - good to see you are recovering from a rough December - so am i!
NationalParker - It is an interesting idea to include your DH in meal planning - there may be many insights there you have yet to tap. Good luck with that.

Have a good day coaches

BillBlueEyes 01-09-2014 06:01 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks to bring the streak to 50. Had my Louisiana Naval Orange for evening snack. When done my first thought was another one would sure be tasty right now. When I become enlightened, my first thought will be, Sure was good, I'm satisfied. Dinner was lentils again. If I had to commit to only one food for the rest of my life, lentils would surely be it.

Almost no exercise - Ouch. I allowed the cold to justify sticking to minimal activities outside and never had the thought to do something inside - Duh!

onebyone – Congrats for getting that flu shot. Ouch for having to wait despite an appointment - doesn't seem right. Hope you figure out the banana thing; I'm grown dependent on my breakfast banana and my lunch banana.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 160 minutes is a lot of exercise for a cold day. Wish I'd done that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I know that decluttering step of a work in progress. Hats off for working outside with a heat gun in 17 degrees.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Now that I've seen your green pancakes I'll be on the lookout for them. Ouch for their pancake calories. Kudos for "Back on the horse tomorrow."

maryann - It's always a good day when a package arrives in the mail. I've felt that way ever since waiting impatiently for a magic ring from Battle Creek, Michigan a few decades ago.

nationalparker – Thanks for the insight, "away from what NOT to do and more toward what TO do." [Removing Angels' Share movie from my list.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Happy One Year Anniversary with Super Congrats for 50 pounds and three sizes gone forever. Kudos for focusing on (and savoring) the changes you've made in a year.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Ouch for a bout of the flu-diet. I agree, it's not something to choose. Hope you get your sea legs back.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for working the program with "Acknowledging my errant behaviour without giving myself grief about it." Ouch for the lure of the iPad.

AZtricia - Welcome new dog with soulful stare. Congrats on a few pounds gone merely for beginning the recording of your food.

Readers -
Quote:

........Once I accept that exercise is
essential and start doing it consistently,
..;;;......dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 112.

Lexxiss 01-09-2014 07:53 AM

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday had some twists and turns, but I used my Beck brain to sort it all out and and compensate. Credit. Appt. w/mom took longer than expected and I decided we should go to lunch. We went to her favorite mex. restaurant and I made a good choice. The waitress asked, "you don't want rice and beans? " "No thanks, just plain." She came back again...."Do you want guacomole? "No, thanks. It's perfect without." I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch.
Then the twist: I called our helper at the project to say I was on my way. She said, "Oh, good, because I brought you lunch today!" (We have shared our lunch with her many times). I said, "Thanks! That was very thoughtful of you!" When I got there she was ready to eat...the casserole had been warming on the oil stove all morning. I simply took a very small portion and enjoyed it. When I got home late, DH already had pizza made....I explained "why" I was declining and had some yogurt and a banana. Credit. The scale approved of my decision this morning.

BBE, I wasn't aware you had two bananas a day...I often do, too. Credit for only one navel orange.

Beth(from Dayton), thanks for the 1 year update! Logging progress over the long haul is important, too. Credit.

Seadwaters and AZtricia, thanks for pictures! MaryAnn, too!

:wave: everyone else!

Ok, I must head to the project! I have painting to do before the crew shows up.

onebyone 01-09-2014 08:45 AM

quick stop

Coaches

Just checking in to say I will have an OP day = tracking my food and making choices that support my health today. I am off to the ceramic studio to make something (insert vague idea here).

Back later.

PS *credit* scale said 265.2 this morning.

maryann 01-09-2014 10:23 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today ( as the doc predicted ) I feel better. I did not have take the antibiotics. I simply endured the same ten day illness that all other mortals must. A great lesson in humility.
OP yesterday. Almost all the weight from the holidays is off. Scale is two pounds from ticker. Exercise was dusting and vacuuming (sp?) The house is nearly through - just need to finish the bathrooms and kitchen and my winter clean is done. Credit.

Lexxiss; Your work ethic is very impressive to me.You are a "can do" kind of gal. Your mom, your dh and everyone else who is in your life is lucky to have you.

nationalparker: yeah for back to yoge. I started a new routine on Sunday and then descended into sickdom. My arms were sore for four days :( I guess this means I need to do it more often.

onebyone: Congrats on the decluttering. I have started a new routine. I keep a large brown bag in my closet. When I put something on that is old, faded, broken or when I find something around the house that is doubled, broken or unused for years, I put it in the bag. When the bag is full I take it to the Goodwill. No big push, no big deal and yet I have released maybe twenty bags over the last year. It is really making a difference.

bethfromDayton: Happy Anniversary. So inspiring!

ForMyGirls: Sleep is number one health step in my life as well. DH and I had to make the dificult decision of separate rooms at night becuase he sleeps like a roaring tornado. But it has made a huge difference in how I feel.

seadwaters: I hate when I forget and go to page 2. DRAT! Credit for continuing to track.

BBE: Thanks for emphasizing that a brain that continues to say "What Next" instead of "That was great" has not quite evolved.

vegansauras: I hope you are on the mend as well.

gardenerjoy 01-09-2014 10:59 AM

My 100% OP streak count is 9.

Tonight we're taking a nephew and his fiancee to a French restaurant. I've looked at the menu. I'm also getting better at taking account the possibilities that we might share a bottle of wine, might split an appetizer, might split one dessert among the four of us. There could also be a special that sounds better than what looks like the best choice. So I've written a detailed plan that includes phrases like "if that still looks like the BEST choice" and "if desired." There's flexibility in there to eat a bit more in one place than I might have planned, a bit less in another than I might have planned.

I'm also giving myself permission, right now, to leave food on my plate. I don't need to eat as much as the nephew who is feeding muscles that can move snow at a rate 3 times faster than me. I don't even need to eat as much as his fiancee who is a tiny little thing but probably eats like a bird except when someone else is paying for it in a great restaurant.

WI: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +20 465/1400 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

AZtricia: welcome to your new walking buddy -- what a sweetie!

bethFromDayton: Happy Beck Anniversary! You've made great strides -- good for you for taking stock of it all. I still don't trust myself at a buffet restaurant, either -- although, at this point, it's more a matter of no longer seeing the attraction.

seadwaters: I want to go to Australia for green pancakes this morning!

nationalparker 01-09-2014 01:15 PM

DH and I spent another riveting evening playing cut-throat Risk - the game of world domination (which one of us says in a James Earl Jones-ish voice). His attack announcements tend to be followed by me saying, "you're attacking the army of the woman who cooked your dinner?" I might not be a good strategist, but I rely on luck of the dice and have fun. The other day he noted that for us snowed in for several days, the tv had only been on to try to stream that movie, which was a failed effort.

Working on day 6 on my streak. I need to write that on a card each day, as a visual might be a help. At work with small donuts on the kitchen table, along with homemade cookies, and chocolate dipped pretzels. Our staff went out to a pizza joint for lunch, but I brought soup, and stuck to that for $ and calories. Hard to pass up pizza.

During the holidays, I suggested we enjoy a game night once/week and a hobby night :) and DH was all in. I want to learn to sew, to do mosaic work, and to knit better (just scarves, nothing like a sweater). Tonight I need to figure out what I need for mosaics ... OneByOne, I might be checking in with you via PM on that if you don't mind, so I don't buy something I won't need/use.

Lexxiss - What Maryann said - you have such a committed work ethic - I admire you. You see what needs to be done, prioritize, delegate what needs to be, and set to work. And credits for graciously handling the extra bit of lunch when she thoughtfully provided it.

Maryann - I wish I remembered more of the yoga that I did for more than five years! It's like it entered a black hole in my mind. The angle of the tv in a front room is such that from the floor, I cannot see anything on the screen, so I need to watch it through, so hopefully the verbal stuff will be enough of a cue as I get restarted.

And now, to the awards section: :)
Beth - One year, 50 pounds and what a transformation in your thinking. Great job! I like how you've taken stock and noted about the no sweets at work. I'm wondering if an "only fruit" for a snack if I need it at work would be a good option for me. I like that you made the rule and stuck to it.

Bill - 50 days on your streak - that's superb! While I enjoy lentil soup now and then, that food would never have entered my thought stream if allowed only one food for the rest of my life. Ever. Too funny and way healthier than what I was thinking.

Moebug 01-09-2014 08:04 PM

Checking in

Hi Coaches

Just wanted to check in and let you all know that I have been doing pretty well with everything . I still have eaten every meal sitting at the table which is HUGE for me! I have strayed a little from eating without distractions though. I need to weigh myself and I am afraid to get on the scale. Usually it doesn't say what I want it to say and I get bummed out. I think I will commit to doing it on Saturday morning. Also, I'm throwing a surprise birthday party for my husband on Saturday night and I am a little anxious about the cake. I don't know if I should just obtain completely or allow myself some. What do you guys think? I have been off sugar since Sat or Sun. It would probably be best if I didn't have it. Then I will get those deprivation thoughts.... Ack! Thanks for listening and being an inspiration :)

bethFromDayton 01-09-2014 09:15 PM

Hi all,

Today was OP and makes for a 30 day streak. I had a good picture this evening of what a healthy OP dinner can look like--it was a full meal, I felt quite satisfied--and it was totally OP.

Exercise still not happening. I have to change that. I am going to change that and I will feel good when I do.

I went to the grocery store tonight for produce even after going last night--because last night they were out of celery. Yes-out of celery--and lots of other produce, too. I assume it was weather related delivery issues.

I also bought deli meat. I first ordered roast beast--the clerk offered me a slice and I declined. Then I ordered Virginia ham, and he offered me a slice of that. I declined. I saw that they had Pesto Parmesian ham, which I'd never heard of. For a brief second, I thought of asking to try it, but no, that's not an option. So, I asked for one slice of Pesto Parmesian Ham. He was perfectly willing to give me a slice to eat right then and there, but that wasn't an option. (He didn't even put a price on it--said it was too light for the scale.)

I told DH that he couldn't eat the whole slice or I'd be upset. So, the smart aleck asked "but it's okay if I eat half the slice?" And it is, of course, because I only need half a slice to try it!

It was really easy to say "I don't eat at the grocery store"!

Tomorrow is a bit "up in the air" because I'm taking DD for a college visit (she is likely to transfer for next year). So, we'll be eating en route--but I feel strong and able to make good choices!

Moebug: Credit for sitting at the table--that is huge! As for cake at your husband's birthday party, there are lots of different ways to handle that and we each have to decide what works. For me, I'd have a small piece because I would feel too deprived--I tend to have at least a small sweet every day. Other people would be concerned it would set them back into eating too much sugar and wouldn't want to risk that happening. I know that's not a definitive answer, but I really don't think there is one.

nationalparker: I see you're tracking on MFP again! YAY US!! Big credit for sticking to soup when pizza was in the offering! I do have a snack at work every day (right around 3:00). It is normally a carb/protein mix--cheese and crackers is my most common snack. "Snack" isn't the problem--"high cal" and "quantity" were my problems!

onebyone: I love your keyboard! I think you're right about bananas--and perhaps buying them in smaller quantities would help. It's hard to overeat them if there aren't that many there!

gardenerjoy: I hope the French restaurant trip was delicious--it sounds as if you planned for it really well. I love the way you looked at it in terms of tradeoffs. How did it go?

maryann: I'm glad you're feeling better--it's no fun being sick. And cleaning isn't a fun way to get exercise, although it's satisfying when it's done!

Lexiss: I think of you everytime I see organic bananas at the grocery store. Credit for balancing food and kindness--and then adjusting accordingly in the evening!

BillBE: Lentils wouldn't even be on my list! I wonder if 'enlightened' is achievable? I'll settle for 'not a struggle'!

seadwaters: Credit for recoding what you ate--and treating it as a mistake that you move on from. Btw, I type my longer responses using Notepad++ so that I can scroll up and down in the browser to view earlier posts.

ForMyGirls: The iPad is dangerous (does yours have a name?) Credit for recognizing what you're having trouble with. (Would it help to commit to leaving the iPad charging in the lounge room?)

Take care, all!

AZtricia 01-09-2014 10:32 PM

Checking in for Thursday

Hello coaches :) Credit: eating OP, just realized checking in that I missed my ARC completely today...so will read before bed. Ate sitting, but with homeschooling 3 boys I was somewhat distracted! Will miss my exercise tomorrow because the boy's swim team was canceled, so I need to exercise at home (note to self!) A funny credit: DietPower, the computer program I use to log my food came up with 3 oz of raw kale as being worth the most "points" today, so I had that and earned an A+++ for my eating today. :D

Lexxiss Congrats on maintaining during your 3 month project , funny about your iPhone...I still have an old flip phone! Great on your wise choices at the restaurant and for your flexibiliity in dealing with the rest of the day's meals in a healthy way. :) happy face for the happy scale.

veganasaurusrex Welcome back! Hope you are feeling MUCH better.

nationalparker Great job on changing your plans for a walk to the yoga dvd! I admire you for cutting your fur friend yourself, don't know if I'll be able, so far he growls if we mess with his legs... My boys just purchased Risk recently and I have refused to try it because it takes SO long! Learning to knit sounds like fun. What material are you going to use for mosaics?

onebyone Hurray for flu shots! We all did them this year. Sounds like you have a good plan for bananas. Do often paint? I admire artistic skill (have none! but like to look). What did you make at the ceramic studio? I saw the cutest fused glass snowmen at Christmas, that would be fun if I had a kiln.

bethFromDayton Happy Anniversary!!!! Congrats on you 50 lbs and 3 sizes!! And great job on the diet changes, adding fresh fruit and veggies. With all your progress, I'm sure you are ready to tackle social eating and exercise. A 30 day streak is amazing! Your progress really gives me hope for the future, thanks for sharing! Your dh was funny about the ham, sound like something mine would do!

ForMyGirls Great job recommitting to get back on track with sleep, it will make a huge difference to your ability and attitude.

seadwaters How frustrating to loose everything. The pancakes sound yum, love vanilla! Hope your kefir works well. A funny about the new dog, he takes walks for a purpose...when he's done his thing he turns arround to go home!!! Hoping it is just because today is cold, but I laughed every time.

BillBlueEyes Mmmm, oranges are delicious this time of year. Just went to get more as my boys ate all we had. Lentils were our dinner too, in a chili type soup.

maryann Glad you are feeling better. Good job on getting back to plan after the holiday.

gardenerjoy WhooHoo for 9! Hope you enjoyed your great food and the company.

Moebug Glad to hear you have been doing pretty well with everything . As far as cake, I do better when I avoid sugar completely, but if you will feel deprived and it won't cause you to stumble then having a small amount is not bad.

GosfordGirl 01-10-2014 03:54 AM

Saturday

Hi Coaches/Buddies

I have realised today that I need a backup plan. Yesterday and the day before I had a plan for a restaurant visit - had even looked at the menu. But in both cases I had to changes for some reason. I wasn't able to adapt. So I need a back-up plan in case this happens. Plan A - eat what I have decided from research on the venue. Plan B - eat a sensible main that will satisfy me without introducing foods that I avoid so that I can goodnaturedly refuse foods I don't want to eat.

Today has been an on plan day:
Credit for steps - and kilometres
Credit for food - planned for the day and on plan so far
Credit dinner is planned and is cooking - lamb chop stew (not really summer food but I had a craving)
Credit all food is logged
Credit for new sauerkraut - the last one was a bit dodgy
Credit for making dill pickles
Credit tracking my food

BillBe - Wow for a streak of 50. LOL I always wonder how I would respond when I reach enlightenment
Debbie(Lexxiss) - I know that restaurant - was there yesterday. "Do you want fries with that" - this epitomy of food pushers! Well done for staring them down. Well done to graciously accept the food from your helper - it could be accommodated
Onebyone - good luck with the ceramic studio and staying on plan
Maryann - glad you feel better in predicted time - it's nice to be average sometimes.Yay for completing a routine clean - I totally identify
Joy (gardenerjoy) - great planning for a night out - really detailed and guides the way thank you. I certailny didn't plan this meticulously/ Malaysian pancakes (with coconut stuffing and icecream) are indeed special. I am sure you could find something a little closer :)
Nationalparker - I like the sound of that game! Will have to go and have a look! Credit for passing up pizza - really an achievement
Moebug - Glad you are out there. I get it with the deprivation thoughts - have to reframe those ("didn't want it anyway!"). Cant help with the cake - depends how much of a trigger it is for you. If it will lead to uncontrolled eating it might be good to stay away from it!
Beth(fromDayton) - Great streak! 30 days! Good luck with getting exercise started - I have every sympathy! I use notepad to do personals but sometimes I start my progress in the response box - obviously not a good idea! I have not seen notepad++ so thanks for letting me know.
AZtricia - A dog with a mission - sounds interesting to live with! But they are good for keeping us mobilized and on our feet. Interesting that you homeschool - how can you turn that to your advantage in terms of keeping active!

thanks coaches

ForMyGirls 01-10-2014 04:59 AM

I am back on track :-) I left the iPad in the lounge room last night and got a good night’s sleep. Which then led to 100% OP today. Feels like it is going to keep going in the right direction too - and relaxedly - so that is great.

Credits: had planned to have some fruit after dinner but was full so chose to keep it for the morning. Did some good relaxed guiding of my kids’ food choices today. Invoked Nike and “just did it” this morning with my health activities.

So - I have a streak of 1. Collectively we have a streak of 139!

Bill - 50 - WOW! On the topic of Beethoven’s fifth - my Dad listens to only classical music. A workmate of his was mocking him once and proclaiming that it “all sounded the same” (????) so Dad said “Alright then - pick one tape and I bet you I can tell you what piece it is just by listening”. By chance he chose the 5th and was VERY impressed when my Dad could identify it after 3 notes :-)

National parker - I love Risk! If you like Risk you might also like Settlers of Catan.

Maryann - my partner and I also don’t share a bed (or bedroom). He is an insomniac and I sleep like a roaring tornado so after 6 months of my not sleeping because I was so scared I would wake him and him not sleeping because I was breathing we decided life would be a happier experience in separate bedrooms. Didn’t work so well for the first few months when I was sharing a room with a 6 year old (who is very much an early morning person so would bounce on me at the first hint of being awake!) but is great now that we are in a bigger space and I have my own room. I actually really love it - I have always really valued independence in a relationship and find that having a space that is just mine helps me feel like I have my own emotional space too.

Beth - my iPad doesn’t have a name (though my bike does :-) - she is called Lucy - though with her recent change of handlebars and recreation as a hippie trip pie smell the roses kind of bike I have started to call her Lucy-Lou) Thanks for suggestion to leave iPad in the lounge room - I think it is essential so I am adding that to my requirements for being 100%OP. It will make all the other bits so much easier.

Moebug - one of the features of the first diet I was on is 3 ‘indulgences’ a week. I kept that part of the diet (though I have veered from it lately because while on leave I have been getting far more exercise than normal so have an increased calorie allowance that has allowed me to have more treats). The 3 indulgences works really well for me because it means I know that I have some ‘treats’ but I am learning that they are not an everyday thing. It also means that I can partake of celebratory things like birthday cakes guilt free. It also means I am disinclined to ‘waste’ an indulgence on something mediocre - rather I save them up for something really, really yummy! All of that said this is just what (I think) works for me. If being off sugar is important to you then it might be better to abstain. The one thing I think Beck would advocate though is that you should decide ahead of time what your plan is and then stick to it :-)

BillBlueEyes 01-10-2014 06:16 AM

Friday - Houseplant Appreciation Day (Really!!!)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, and a walk later. My gym class included a spin on the stationary bikes - I could get into them. I returned the DVD Mary Poppins to the library after fast watching in 20 minutes. Good Grief! What saccharin we accepted in 1964 to accumulate 13 Academy Award nominations. When I become czar, it will be banned.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks; streak to 51. Only snack of the day was half a Louisiana Navel Orange - the last one of the gift box from Christmas. I had to hide my annoyance that DW wanted to split the last one since I'd been having my own whole one. Then had to fight the notion that I could, legitimately, have added some tangerines to make it a full snack. But I didn't, so second CREDIT moi. Have to confess that my brain is thwacked by the newspaper ad for a new Burger King opening nearby - a coupon for a FREE small soft serve cone. I can't throw it away. I don't often buy soft ice cream cones and can't imagine eating one in 15 F weather. But I can't throw it away. Perhaps I'll leave it in a stack somewhere until it expires.

onebyone – Hope you enjoyed some creative ceramic time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Drooling over your French Restaurant trip. Kudos for planing wisely. (DW is in a quandary because a Primrose followed her home from a garden club event and all our window ledges are already full. We may have to carve extra windows in the house since, heaven forbid, the subject of limiting acquisitions isn't to be discussed.)

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Stellar food responses all. day. long. Super Kudos. [I got excited about bananas eight years ago when I (again) became aware that our heartbeat is controlled by sodium-potassium balance. I've never read that it would be beneficial to increase potassium to match the increased sodium in my foods - so I just made up that notion. If I live to be 110, I'll declare the experiment to be a success and publish a paper, LOL.]

Cheryl (seadwaters) – I like the simple sanity of your Plan A and Plan B. LOL at "Credit for new sauerkraut - the last one was a bit dodgy."

maryann - Yay for holiday weight leaving the premises.

nationalparker – LMAO at, "You're attacking the army of the woman who cooked your dinner?" Kudos for passing on that pizza.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Three resists at the deli is impressive - Super Kudos. I'll consider your notion of 'not a struggle' in place of 'enlightened' since the latter truly eludes me.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Kudos for avoiding the fruit salad just because you were full - it's a challenge for me to remember to ask myself that when facing a healthy food.

Maura (Moebug) - Yep, sitting is "HUGE" - HUGE Kudos for that. One plan is to take two bites from a family member's slice of cake and savor them at your DH's birthday party.

AZtricia - That is funny that kale is your high points for the day. Can imagine that it's hard to get your hands around any food with three boys in the house.

Readers -
Quote:

.....Although you probably don't
want to hear this,
the rate at which
........you should try to lose weight is
.............the slower the better.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 113.

gardenerjoy 01-10-2014 09:15 AM

My 100% OP streak count is 10.

I'm declaring the French restaurant meal within bounds of a special meal out, even if it's not something I'd want more than once a month. We split a few side plates -- the best was a goat cheese tart with shaved fennel.

For my main dish, I ordered the roast chicken on the advice of a neighboring customer who offered it when she heard this was our first visit. One of the reviews I read praised the chicken as well. It came out in a small black iron skillet -- half of a chicken. That's four times the amount that I consider a serving these days. Since it came so well recommended, I gave everyone at the table some. That whittled the leg quarter down to about a serving. I brought the breast home for sandwiches. It was good – tender and flavorful. But I can guess the secret: brining. Which rendered it a bit too salty for me. Keep in mind that I bake my own bread in a bread machine because commercial bread has too much sodium, so I don’t have the normal American taste buds for salt.

For dessert, after talking about the book Julia Child Rules by Karen Karbo, with Rule Number 10, Every Woman Should Have a Blowtorch, we ordered crθme brulee. So good that the fiancee is putting a blowtorch on her wedding gift registry. Even with four of us eating it, we left a bit behind.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +55 420/1400 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: This is my solution to the "not enough windows" problem: http://www.gardeners.com/Compact-2-T...g_LightGardens

maryann 01-10-2014 10:47 AM

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was OP calorie-wise. This has been the pattern for the last few days. I am eating spontaneously and sparingly and then eating one smoothie for a meal replacement. I am staying away from processed foods.

Could this be called maintenance? Weight continues to inch back toward ticker. I would love it if I could continue to eat like this. Small amounts and unstructured. "Me thinks something is up, however." But I am willing to experiment a little. I have never been in maintenance. All the literature says that maintaining is truly the hardest thing to do but I can't believe anything is harder than losing the darn weight.:mad:

Plan is to up exercise as well now that I am on the mend. Step class is soon. Credit.

Moebug 01-10-2014 12:16 PM

Coaches Thank you for all of your suggestions on how to handle the cake at the party. I've decided I'm going to allow myself this treat . While I may be setting myself up for a fail, I want to see if I can make this commitment to have just one piece and not stray off into sugar oblivion! :dizzy: