3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community
You're on Page 15 of 19
Go to

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/280752-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-may-2013-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 05-24-2013 05:58 AM

Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Not much happening as I continue to spend my time indulging my head cold. Snacking is off; exercise if off. It's as if I'm stepping outside of life to wait this out. The sore throat part has gone so it's simply a mop up situation with the symptoms that bug people who have to see or hear me. I'm playing old James Taylor uTube albums as I type - nothing like living in the past to avoid reality.

I continue to read Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us. Sugar is in ketchup because it's cheaper than tomatoes. Sugar is in dog food as a preservative. Sugar gives browning and other properties. The food industry thinks that it can't live without it. In the first 20 pages this book is a downer. Maybe the salt and fat sections will be uplifting.

onebyone – 14 weeks is sufficient time for small changes to reestablish the mojo. You've done this before - you can do it again. LOL at your inner devil whispering Sabotaging Thoughts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Bon Voyage! May you find a way to sleep on the plane so you arrive wide-eyed in Paris. I drool at the thought of your first baguette from a street vendor.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Your post made me rethink: perhaps the world won't end in either a bang or a whimper . . . but by continually slowing Internet, LOL.

maryann - Kudos for declaring "it is time for action" and then stepping forth. Drooling over your California valley fruits and veggies.

spanky - Neat word, "Un-wich," sounds good. Reminds me that I once tried to eat in a healthy manner with packaged meats without bread - just protein and nitrites. Ugh!

IBelieveInMe2 – Big Kudos for confronting your reluctance to meet with the trainer. And Kudos for good walking and giving yourself credit.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Ouch for "4 hours of CAR REPAIR ****!" Such an insult on Day 4 of OP, which deserve Kudos.

sparks17 – Kudos for pulling off the hunger experiment. Peak hunger of 4 is a real insight. Love being reminded of the joy of having a DD old enough to go to Austria on her own while still young enough to not know that the US Dept of State takes its sweet time issuing passports. Graphic image in, "I started feeling like my fat cells were expanding."

happyhoustonmommy - Hope you survived that "LONG talent show." Sitting to eat gets easier. My primo ARC is "Healthy life style allows "I am engaged." The big deal for me is that mindless eating follows mindless living; it doesn't cause it. Neat to hear about CCBT (Covert Cognitive Behavior Therapy).

Readers -

Originally Posted by :
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

Guidelines for a Doable Diet
. . . These types of deprivation diets can also backfire. They can negatively impact your energy level and mood. They also can slow your metabolism, which means the rate at which you lose weight starts to slow. Also, research shows that the large initial weight loss from these diets generally comes from the loss of body fluids, not fat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 65.

sparks17 05-24-2013 07:51 AM

A new day! In the end, we did go out to dinner o my husband's favorite place. I was not very hungry, so I ordered a half-sized Chicken Caesar Salad, and then only ate half. I am wondering if that can count for Day 17, which I am up to...not really, because I was not hungry. I think I need to do it at a regular meal, so it will really be more than I planned to eat and I have to consciously not eat it....Anyway, I also had sangria and when I got home and added my dinner to MFP, I found that, even with the ice cream, I was pretty low on calories yesterday - at the bottom of my daily range. Then I realized that 1. I skipped lunch 2. I had an unusually small dinner. 3. The problem was not the ice cream at 320 cal. It was the unplanned, compulsive eating! If I want ice cream so much I can fit it into my plan occasionally!

Today - I have filled in MFP in advance. I have a reasonable plan and am not planning to eat out. I am working on NO CHOICE.

OK. Right now I am so hungry that it hurts and I feel a little sick - like a 6. It was the very small dinner, I guess! I need to get off the computer and make my lovely breakfast - and eat it slowly!

Lexxiss 05-24-2013 08:41 AM

Hi Coaches!

My planned day took several twists yesterday. My lunch substitution was legitimate and my unplanned SF cake after an otherwise healthy day was not. Ouch. I did calculate calories before I ate it yet wished I had resisted instead. I have a plan for today which includes taking care of "my stuff" since I spend so much time taking care of everyone elses'. Credit. I do continue my SF morning coffee today acknowledging it as the "new normal." Yay.

BBE, lol at old albums on utube...I like your choice, though. I think I need to request your current read...it helps me reinforce my better choices. PS I doubt you are going to find much uplifting in the salt/fat sections.

IBelieveInMe2, yay for persisting with your new walking habit. ..and for other steps forward. Glad to hear you are feeling energized and more hopeful.

Jo/vegan...rex, so neat to stay OP despite frustration and missing your snack AND having a late dinner.

Sparks17, credit for completing your hunger experiment and finding out new things about yourself.

Maryann, my response to "stop the glorification of busy" in my life is to learn ways to be more efficient with must do's and learn to say no to others. Balance….I hope you enjoyed your movie and nap.

happyhoustonmommy, thanks for the book suggestion! For me, learning to sit and eat became more natural as I continued to practice. Now, it feels odd to eat when standing at all. When I would catch myself I'd either go sit down and eat what was in my hand or put the food back where it came from. Regarding ARC's, the pink book suggests that you take all the items you put on your list of reasons to lose weight and put them on an index card you can read at least twice a day. In addition, you can make your own and there are brief statements at the end of each chapter which can go on individual cards, (p. 73 Once I accept that fact that I have to eat everything sitting down, dieting will be easier.) I hope that helps.

onebyone, kudos for talking back to your inner saboteur!

spanky, glad you are still finding inspiration from your movie as you move through another difficult time.

Beth(fromDayton), safe travels! How exciting to have kids and DH who support your new way of eating!

Rosebud, credit for continued water aerobics and a great plan for your conference!

Beverlyjoy, keep persisting! Credit for acknowledging necessary changes before 5 becomes 20….an important Beck strategy.

I need to keep moving forward with my list. Crossing items off my list gives my the space to "make time for dieting".

sparks17 05-24-2013 08:54 AM

I ate breakfast and I feel good!

Rosebud - I am looking for a water aerobics class that does not cost more than I want to spend :(

Beth - ONE biscuit!! woohoo!

onebyone - Maintaining such a large weight loss deserves a LOT of credit!

spanky - :carrot: on the croissants!

gardenerjoy - ohhh...have a wonderful time and savor every minute - and bite!

lexxiss - how can a green smoothie be red?

happyHmommy - I ordered The Power of Habit from the library. It looks like it would be helpful!

maryann - you made me think of Elvis' song A Little Less Conversation! A little more action please...

Jo/vegan - Really, 4 days OP is a victory!

Ibelieveinme - Best of luck today with the trainer! And I am glad that your time with the organizer was productive.

Bill - I feel for you! I hate head colds :rollpin:

maryann 05-24-2013 01:25 PM

Good morning, Coaches.

OP yesterday. One pound down from ticker. Thoroughly enjoyed movie and nap.
Online traffic school today. Blick. But it will good to be done with it. Food in MFP. Pilates planned.

Wave to all.

happyhoustonmommy 05-24-2013 02:28 PM

Tgif!

I rewarded myself for Week 1 of the Beck Diet Solution (10,000 steps a day and diabetic/WW modified diet) with a cute new undergarment :carrot:

What's on tap for today? I did some work, shopped, had lunch (cut vegetables w/ hummus and crackers/cheese/turkey stacks) and am now at home puttering around until I need to leave to pick up the big kids. Oh! I almost forgot--I haven't weighed myself since Sunday but I went to Old Navy to look at casual dresses and I fit better into a smaller size than I do in my regular size :D It's still a big snug for my taste but the bigger size is without a doubt too big.

maryann I love your Sitting Down to Eat response! I think I might steal it. I hope you relaxed and enjoyed your movie. Yay for 1lb down :hug:

Sparks Happy Anniversary! I hope you like the Power of Habit :)

vegan 4 days is a huge accomplishment! I'm celebrating 4 days myself :)

IBelieve Good job on the walking!

BBE Ugh. I hate being sick. You'll be over it soon enough. It sounds like you have something similar to what I have a month ago. It felt like it dragged on and on. Glad your sore throat is gone.

Lexxis Ah thanks! NOW I get it. Those statements at the end of the chapters are what I haven't been writing down. Need to do that.

spanky 05-24-2013 03:55 PM

The croissants are history! As though to tempt me, a corner fell off as I put the last one into DS's lunch. There was a moment--so small and so pop-in-the-mouth-able. But I managed to toss it into the bag and move on. A kudo for me.

What wasn't so good was the pizza I had at work today. Unplanned. OFF plan, as a matter fo fact. So I'll have to slim down the dinner menu considerably.

Working tomorrow. Still waiting for lab results on my doggy...

spanks

sparks17 05-24-2013 05:37 PM

Change of dinner and snack plans as my husband was not able to get everything I wanted at the store...poor planning on my part. I am substituting chicken cooked a different way - not that different. But, while I was expecting a small yogurt and some fruit...now I have chocolate donuts. Yes, one will fit in my calorie plan. But but but but nowhere near as nutritious. So...I am increasing my dinner amount (if I am hungry enough, that is), substituting string cheese for the yogurt and saying NO CHOICE to the donut.

Glad that I have somewhere to post things like this!!!

Rosebud170 05-24-2013 08:51 PM

Hi coaches,
Happy Friday!! The conference was great and I had salad for lunch with no bready item! There was a kiosk called "Tossd" and you choose a container (clamshell) of greens, they put in a bowl with your chosen ingredients, toss it for you, dress it and put back into clamshell...brilliant IDEa... Then Thai food for dinner and I ate half my plate of pad Thai and took the rest home. All within my range....

Work was great...I am loving my students. We started the sex Ed unit today which is always fun to teach. I have their full attention...they giggled for a shorter amount of time than any group Ive had. And they asked great questions. It is always fun to start a new year with new students but I do get attached to the current ones, especially this time of year.

We have a 3 day weekend...I have water aerobics on Sat and also will try Zumba (not in water!) on Sunday. I have lots of schoolwork to do and also some house projects. Oh and there is fun and relaxation to be had as well!!

Sparks17-not sure if you are near any local, less expensive pool but a gal that goes to our aerobics class did water walking in the lap swim lane for 45 min and altered her arm movements to keep her heart rate up...just an idea. I just love it for when my weight is up since there is s little impact but a good amount of resistance in the water...it is good!!

IBelieveInMe2 05-24-2013 10:30 PM

feeling motivated!

My consultation with the owner of the fitness facility went really well! I shocked myself when he asked me what my motivation level is. I asked, "on a scale of 1-10?" He said "yes".... and I blurted out, "a 9!" :D And it made me realize that I really am very motivated to get fit. Next, he asked, "what is holding you back?" I said, "that's what is driving me crazy..... I don't know." Then, upon further reflection, I said that the only thing I know that might be holding me back is that the excess weight serves as a protective barrier due to past issues. He said that is a very common reason, especially among women. We discussed how the pain of staying the same has to outweigh the pain of change in order for someone to be ready to make a change. I said I'm not sure if I'm there yet. I am so afraid of change! :( Anyway, this guy could not have been nicer and more knowledgeable, and ~ even though I didn't feel quite ready when I walked into the place, I feel ready now! :carrot: I mean, what am I waiting for?!?!? I want to be fit and trim, so let's get this show on the road!!! :broc:

Got my 15 minute walk in today! CREDIT!

BillBlueEyes: I hope your head cold gets better soon!

Spanky: what lab results on your dog? I am out of the loop there, but interested. Way to go on flexing your resistance muscle on those croissants!!! That is awesome that you didn't have even one bite!!! :D

Sparks17: Happy Anniversary! 26 years is really something to celebrate!

Happyhoustonmommy: congrats on your "cute new undergarment!" ;)

On that note, I need to close this post. I have almost lost it 3x. Typing on my new tablet from the lake. Happy long weekend to everyone! Enjoy!!! :)

bethFromDayton 05-25-2013 12:58 AM

Hi all

We're staying in an amazing B&B--beautifully decorated rooms.

Even though both meals today (brunch and dinner) were at restaurants, I made good choices and stayed OP. As we know, each day OP makes it easier to stay OP the next day.

My forebearance is being tested. There are so many wedding details still unplanned--I remind myself that they are not mine to solve. I am not going to eat out of frustration--nothing will improve DD the older's planning skills--certainly me stopping at the frozen custard place wouldn't have done it (and we didn't stop)

Tomorrow will be another loose day--I don't know where or when we'll be eating so I can't plan ahead. I can just go into each meal determined to make OP choices.

Take care!

BillBlueEyes 05-25-2013 05:20 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Continue wading through the sniffles as if I was an invalid. I did make it to the supermarket for strawberries and blueberries. We also have peaches that DW found somewhere - they taste pre-season but the texture reminds me that peaches are coming. It's summer when breakfast has peaches, blueberries, and strawberries to go with the year-round banana and walnuts.

I talk about food to counter the yuck feeling from the book Salt, Sugar, Fat. Why I've chosen to read such a depressing book is a mystery. Mr. Rogers loved me; Betty Crocker never did. Oh, Well.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for the caregiver who remembers to take care of herself. I have to read your posts twice to overcome my intuition that SF abbreviates San Francisco, LOL.

maryann - Yay for naps - I wish I'd never given them up when I was four years old. My mind is unable to guess what means, "Online traffic school today." So "Blick" seems a reasonable response.

spanky - Gotta love that this forum is a place where one tip of one croissant can be celebrated as victory - Kudos.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Wish I could learn this, "I remind myself that they are not mine to solve." Kudos for recognizing that eating won't solve your DD's planning skills.

IBelieveInMe2 – Exciting charging forth with, "I want to be fit and trim, so let's get this show on the road!!!" Sounds like you've found a good place. Congrats for moving to a tablet computer. Methinks I should go there.

Rosebud170 – Terrific notion, "a kiosk called 'Tossd' " - Kudos for making such a good choice. Monster Congrats for teaching SexEd to combat kids who think that all their friends think that they know everything about it all but are willing to fight the embarrassment of learning.

sparks17 – Half of a "half-sized Chicken Caesar Salad" puts restaurant portions in proper perspective. Feeling hunger at level 6 is real even for morning - Kudos for the choices that caused that.

happyhoustonmommy - Kudos for a successful first week and Double Kudos for rewarding yourself with a non-food reward. Clothes that are too big are just the best.

Readers -

Originally Posted by :
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

Guidelines for a Doable Diet
. . . Even if you lose all of the weight you want on an extremely low-calorie diet, you're unlikely to be able to continue following such a plan over the long term. Research shows that nearly everyone who loses weight in this way quickly regains it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 65.

Lexxiss 05-25-2013 07:03 AM

Hi Coaches!

OP yesterday, except for the one bite of pasta at WF. Decided I wasn't going to eat it. credit. Weighed and did some stretching exercises. I will get more exercise at work today.

BBE, I enjoyed a poblano chicken at WF yesterday. I decided to bring some home for dinner. After not eating for hours and having the chix without anything else I was able to notice how salty it was. Actually too salty to be enjoyable. Too bad.

:wave:

veganasaurusrex 05-25-2013 10:06 AM

Hello all! It's the weekend again and I'm back at the hotel that I manage one or two weekends a month. This time I planned all my meals before I got here and brought portioned food. I feel a lot more capeable of saying no to temptations. Thus far I've said no to a chocolate coroissant and macaroni and cheese. Both were No Choice! I brought a lot of fancy frozen foods I've wanted to try to make saying no a lot easier and more pleasant. I feel like I'm going to be successful. So far I'm on my 6th OP day. I have a plan, a great forum of coaches and I'm planning to go back and read my next day of the Beck book after I finish this post. At least I have a lot of time to focus on this! In the last three weeks or so I've lsot 7lbs. I'm just feeling anxious that I won't be able to keep it off.

onebyone Great job setting a goal! Setting a daily plan is something I'm working on too. How'd this week go for daily planning? Also thank you for your kind words.

spanky YAY! on the croissants!

gardenerjoy YAY on reaching france weight! Have a wonderful journey and enjoy every experience!

happyhoustonmommy For the first few days I wrote "SIT" on my hands. Now I don't really notice myself eating standing up anymore. Also, I see a difference between advantages response cards and response cards. My ARC is my list of reasons for wanting to lose weight. My other response cards have a sabagoging thought and a response below it. For example one says "I don't want to read my ARC!" and below it "I have to read my ARC twice a day because it grounds me in my committment to this journey. Even if I remember the reasons now, there will be a time when I need the motivation and I have to build that now!"

sparks17 Good on you catching the difference between the "letter" and "spirit" of the days. You can consider anything as "counting" as doing the exercise, but if you don't feel like your participation is meaningful I've found it won't stick. Sometimes I spend a few days on one step just to make sure it really becomes a part of me. YAY with sticking to your calorie plan.

Rosebud170 When I was in college I taught a sex ed class to college kids that was likely mroe...comprehensive ;) than what you're teaching your students but it really is a fun and interesting subject. Kudos on ejoying your students!

bethFromDayton Thank you for your wise words "every day OP makes it easier to stay OP the next day". New Response Card for me!

happyhoustonmommy 05-25-2013 10:42 AM

The Weekend is HERE!

Hi my fellow Beckers!

Just got back from Zumba. Two reasons I'm so excited about Zumba--1) it's the first time I've been back since Octoberish *credit* and 2) my husband went with me :carrot: He was feeling rather defeated earlier this week and made some sad comment about never being able to get the energy to go to the gym early in the morning again--and he DID this morning, with me :)

Today is a mother daughter day. My mom, me and my daughter are going shopping for summer clothes for my daughter. It's kind of a birthday celebration (my bday is on Memorial Day) so we'll do girly things like brunch, getting out hair washed and blow-dried (which is a FANTASTIC reward that I need to remember to give myself sometime), and shopping.

It was a little rough eating last night. We went to Pei Wei, I had a salad *credit* but I was still starving when we got home so I had a cup of chocolate milk. I've been really good about having sugar only in my coffee or yogurt this week so I won't call the chocolate milk a slip-up, but it is definitely not an everyday habit I want to get into. I plan on saving chocolate milk for when I'm PMSing and I'm having a horrid craving for chocolate :devil:

Gotta keep my sugars low because I was diagnosed pre-diabetic when I was pregnant a year ago. I do not want to go down that road. And just to show you how badly my subconcious doesn't want to be diabetic, I had a dream that I was diagnosed as diabetic last night. Ha! :o

But that may have had more to do with a blood test I had to retake last week (unrelated to diabetes) and I'm impatiently awaiting the results.

Anyway, hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!

BBE Peaches! I forgot peaches are coming!

vegan Thank you! I'm definitely going to do that. I need to buy actual hardcopies of the book so I can do that, I've been listening on audio.