3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/242134-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-september-2011-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 09-01-2011 05:13 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 09-01-2011 05:14 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day that I didn't eat my way through tension, CREDIT moi. We ate the left overs from our Italian Restaurant meal on Monday - savored the food, the memory of a good meal, and the memory of not blowing my food plan.

onebyone - That's a wise strategy, "I'll go make some tea and try to calm down" - I like being reminded that a calm state of mind helps with staying the plan. Good luck working out money stuff so that it's not a recurring uncertainty issue that leads to tension. Perhaps it would work to talk with your DH that the uncertainty causes you more tension than do the numbers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This "what it means to me to be a grown up" seems to be a recurring thought when making daily choices. Thanks for bringing that up.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for identifying the feelings that are making you struggle right now.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - LOL at "delicious entrees which would be downright insane to even consider." Sometimes it helps me when I see food options so out of line they could only be consumed by a 17 year old male lumberjack.

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for facing the need to reduce your calories as your weight drops. I hated, hated, hated that notion when I first confronted it. Then I was really annoyed at myself for not already knowing something so obvious.

Tazzy - Congrats on another 1.4 pounds gone forever. Love that Dalai Lama quote! Yep, that Seven Questions Technique is a tough one to work through. My take is that it's worth the effort to understand it - even if you decide not to use it much later on. In the green book, Dr. Beck swaps it for a simpler notion.

Michi702 - Super stuff to take now seriously per avoiding, 'I'll eat sitting down next time' - that's a great attitude to develop to avoid the might-as-well-keep-eating-off-plan-since-I've-already-blown-it syndrome. Kudos for diligently reviewing your day to resolve your one scoop of ice cream. And Nope, you can't give yourself too many credits - most of us are running on such a life time of deficits that there's no danger of catching up, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit
what to do . . .
To give yourself credit, do the following:
. . .
2. Say one of the following, or the equivalent, to yourself: Good job, Okay! Yes! That was good. Great! Good going! That deserves credit. I did it.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 68.

SuperChick 09-01-2011 05:57 AM

think happy thoughts...

Morning all. Yesterday was a busy one, but I stayed OP, even with an impromptu client lunch thrown in there :strong:

Weighed-in: -1.6lb! :)
Credits: checked in, weighed in, brief weights session prior to work, cycled to work, attempting a positive mental attitude through a pretty full-on week! Made sane food choices when faced with an unexpected event.

So, it is a pretty busy / stressful time over in my little corner of the world, very busy with work, trying to pack / get ready for the wedding / holiday next week, going on another cycling adventure this weekend (110 miles along the great glen fault – so past loch ness), trying to pack for said adventure, going out to see a comedian tonight (perhaps not the best timing!), trying to prepare / make presents for two birthdays next week…. And trying not to let the ball drop on my eating and exercise so that I will still fit into my dress next weekend! And breathe… :D I’m not willing to drop anything, so I’m just getting up earlier to do my workouts and trying to stay positive… although one of the girls going on my trip at the weekend is a bit of a control freak and was majorly stressing me out yesterday. I refused to let it creep into my food choices and kept it as a separate issue. I seem determined this week!

Hope you’re all well and I’m saying hi from all the way this side of the Atlantic :wave:

eusebius 09-01-2011 08:14 AM

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Back from 11 days away, a week with my family (eek!) and three days driving on either end. I wish I could say I ate perfectly the whole time, but I can't. Most of it was fine, but I clearly have a long way to go before I am able to spend a week with my entire family - my parents, my two brothers, their wives and my nephew - and not get incredibly stressed out. I feel lucky only to have put on 2 lbs after some of the food that was around, and very happy to be back home in a regular routine again.

Today I have a load of unpacking and tidying to do, but I'm trying not to get overwhelmed and will take it in small increments, possibly with a nap in there somewhere.

Now I'll go get caught up on all the posts I've missed ...
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: no
Qi Gong: no

Beverlyjoy 09-01-2011 10:50 AM

Hi Becksters and coaches - yesterday was a struggle. BUT - I woke up today in a better frame of mind for eating well and having food sanity.

I must think of a strategy for the day after having gotten through a difficult time and not eating. And later... as a result - having a 'let down' in my reserve. Hmmm... I need to think of things to write on a response card.
It might include:
-Having gotten through a vacation eating healthfully isn't a green light for overeating when it's over.
- I will 'undo' all the good I've done by overeating after a heathy food vacation.
- Imagine how badly you feel, ultimately, after over eating .
- This is your life - move forward instead of backwords.

Can you think of any others?

My goals today:
plan/measure/write down food - later log into food tracker
meditation
lots of water - I will mentally count to ten after each bite. It should help today.
taste the food
eat seated only
no seconds
journal

I can't believe it September. College football starts tomorrow. I love watching on TV or at the stadium.

Have a great day.

pamatga 09-01-2011 12:53 PM

GD :flow1: everyone and Happy September!! I am always so relieved we got through another summer since work slows down so much for DH and then the excessive heat this past summer meant living in a/c all the time which is the equivalent of being indoors during a very cold Northern winter. You just want to climb the walls sometimes! :hyper:

Beverlyjoy I think you have brought up one of the linchpins of successful and long term sustainable weight lose: not to see "getting through" tough situations, whatever they might be, by either overeating/ undereating, overexercising/ underexercising or basically not following your plan as you had before all that happened.

I have had three days of "just under" 1800 calories (white knuckling last night from 9 p.m.-2 a.m. and sleeping poorly until I finally fell asleep around 5 a.m. only to awaken at 10 a.m.) only to find out I "gained" 3 lbs!! What!! :fr:
That's not how it suppose to work, right??

Well, my strategy is: I do not plan on doing anything different than what I am doing right now. Yes, I took two days in a row off from the strength/cardio exercises I had been doing but I was just so exhausted and sleeping 8 hours nightly wasn't helping. However, I am anxious to get back to that because I have "irrational" fears about newly-acquired muscles turning to mush as I write this. I don't have anything "forbidden" in my home right now that I could "overeat". Sauteed spinach (which I had last night and was good even cold!)? Nary a Kit Kat to be found.....:D So, I "just keep swimming" (quote from Dora the blue fish in "Finding Nemo")

I have to say across the board: I really admire how so many of you have handled family "challenges" by pre-planning, toughing it out, or whatever in spite of all the "unknowns". You all are just so brave.

My DH and I have discussed traveling back to MN for the holidays. Now, my son will be alone then and so I am more inclined to go to PA for Christmas this year and forego going to MN for Thanksgiving but I will you all the "real truth" behind my decision. Yes, I don't want my son to be alone on the holidays [there is some family tension about his lifestyle choices but he is my child so matter what!] so there is definitely that but I simply don't want to have to deal with a ton of family issues on top of me really wanting to get this blasted weight "off my back", butt and waist (and wherever else it is hanging onto).

As I have mentioned before, my son is a vegan and he doesn't cook much but Philly has some really nice vegan restaurants, which he has taken us to, and I think we could do that instead of all the loads of junk our two respective families eat. Being this overweight is a mental stress as it is without adding all that "stuff" besides. No, it wouldn't make me happy to see them. Not at this time and what I am going through. When I get focused on doing something, I do not want to be disturbed(which is probably disturbing in of itself, I guess).

You know, when an alcoholic is recovering, they are strongly urged to not frequent former places where they "practiced" their addiction. Why do we not get the same courtesy?? No one would ever dream of offering a recovering addict his former "blow" but how many times does a person who is working on weight issues offered their "poison"? Whether that will happen or not is inconsequential; I do not want to put myself in the position of having to "be strong enough" to deal with it. Call me a coward and I will gladly accept that moniker. I just know my "limits". I have many strengths but enticing holiday food is not one of them!! The only way I can think of getting out of that is to stand out in the rain and catch a cold on purpose.

Okay, I will step off my soapbox for now. Anyway, my strategy is to hold up a cruxifix and say "Get thee behind me, Satan!":devil:

On a similar "thread", I am also trying to illicit support to do a back-to-back Buddy Challenge through the "food holidays". Every year for as long as I can remember, I have taken off the time from Halloween to the Super Bowl to eat whatever I felt like. Seriously!! The best case scenario: I maintained my weight lose. The worst case scenario: I regained 10 lbs. Well, whether I have anyone who will bite at that "challenge" or not, I am going to do my best to not succumb to all the delectables this coming season. I have a ton of revised healthier versions of side dishes to go along with the turkey and or goose. I also have a great cookbook for desserts(for diabetics) that I have had for several years. The summer sausage, salty nuts, crackers and heavenly cheeses; et al, will just have to remain at the store.:?:

What thoughts does everyone else have??? I'd like to know as well. I'm already tense just anticipating this.

Stats for 8/31 (day 23):

**1784 calories 3220 mg sodium 26 grams fiber
**decided to take an additional "DOR" from "specific" exercise and continue to work on the project in my bedroom. Got to hit the floor running though today.
**F/V: banana, apple, tomato, carrot and spinach
**Sugar N
**Water not a specific amt
**Sleep: with an afternoon nap I got 8 hr
**Post Y
**Planned: Note: I keep a "clean" kitchen so I eat what is available, have a general idea the night before but sometimes, depending on when I get up, things change. [Why eat breakfast if it is close to lunch?] I focus more on having a balanced food plan covering all the nutrients and getting in a wide variety of food. "Eat the Rainbow".
**Log Food-"Always Every Day Every Bite No Matter What!"

maryann 09-01-2011 01:33 PM

Good Morning Coaches:
I can see that these past four days have truly been a success for me although they haven't FELT like a success until just this morning. Lots of food challenging situations - 2 girl's outing with lots of food available and a couple of long work days. In all cases I was remarkably OP - I mean passing up pizza, chocolate cake, blah! blah! blah!. I planned ahead, bought special diet sodas as my treat, met people at salad bars and limited myself to one trip. doubled up on workouts etc... And yet everyday I showed a slight gain. _Good gravy, demoralizing. But I just kept OP which would not have been my natural reaction. I woke up this morning and I am back down. I have to trust the process and I did. It just didn't Feel TERRIFIC. I reached my August exercise goals by doubling up some exercise which made me very hungry but I did it. I kept thinking, I promised myself and I am a woman of my word. I also asked my husband about Monday nites- if I need help - to clean up the kitchen because that is my long day and if I can't get out of the kitchen in a timely manner I will start to pick. That is just the way it is. He said OK. Ask for what I need, right? No excuses.
Beverleyjoy: I am huingry this morning after my success, as well. I don't know what happen to my football days. I sue to watch. But I still love fall and the return of all things pumpkin.
Superchick You make me smile when you say "I am not willing to let go of anything." Sometimes when I say that it only means God will let go of something for me. Watch out:)
BBE: I didn't eat over stress this week either and intellectually it feels good.
The emotional gratitude always come a little bit later - after I stop pouting over not getting what I want when I want it.
Pamatga: I believe your analogy to a newly sober person is accurate. When I was first sober, I had to change everything, the people I was with, traditions, holidays. Sometimes it felt like I was cutting off my left arm but I realize nothing changes unless you change - and not just a little thing like WHAT I eat but the important things like WHY I eat. I definitely have to limit family interactions when I am in a rough spot with food. (I hear you Eusebius about family time.) The good news I have found is that relationships that are basically healthy get stronger because I am happier and bad relationships fall away.

onebyone 09-01-2011 04:28 PM

aftermath and other familial equations

Hi Coaches

Wow. What a night. And morning. It was VERY TENSE here in my little cramped apartment. Too small for the two of us. DH and I both stayed in Dodge -- though we did have a showdown. Rare for us but not lately :( I found out once more that we are very different creatures and see the world very differently and assess situations very differently and attribute things to each other that are both extremely accurate and off the mark.

It's hard to be in my relationship right now. Money issues are really getting to us. I think it'll be better in November. But this is going to be the WORST month yet after a whole spring and summer of frugality. For some reason I cannot make any money. I can't do the things I used to in my old town here in my new town - I try and I keep being denied with NO and I don't know what else I can do here to make extra $. I am trying. It's just not happening yet. I've started applying for part time work but I know from experience when I get a job my art work plunges to very little. But you know, sometimes you just have to take care of the basics first. I need to get on my feet. The stress and tension I am feeling is directly interfering with my weightloss. It's a distraction. So I guess I'll use what I have now to release my tension: do some WATP workouts, wii workouts, just go for a walk. Since I can't buy much food it's an enforced foodplan anyway so I am just going to use the money issue as an excuse to eat less-to save money-to conserve the food we do have.

So *credit moi for weighing in -0.7 = 278.4
*BIG credit moi for completing my first 4 Day Win exercise. When you get to day 4 your get a "somewhat larger reward" as she calls it. Originally I wrote down that I would buy a book, but I can't so instead I went to the library and took out a book I've wanted to read, Buzz Aldrin's Magnificent Desolation.. I'm very excited to read it. During this first 4 Day Win I gave myself the small reward of taking a 20 min timeout to read something I wanted to for the pleasure of it. I'm falling back in love with my books and I enjoy the calm quiet of simply reading.

The next 4 days will be challenging. The exercise is to take note of my "famine brain" and to record what triggers my sense of deprivation and lack. yikes. I may get writer's cramp! My small reward for the first three days is to continue reading for 30 minutes this time, up from 20, and then on day 4 I am going to go swimming. While at the employment centre I saw that the YMCA here is giving away 2 week free passes to their facilities so I am going to get one, maybe even today, and then use it. I am sure hoping I can do some water aerobics this week. That would be fantastic.

Better go. Have a good evening Becksters. Happy Old Celtic New Year!

Lovely 09-01-2011 04:53 PM

Hello everyone :wave:

I'm new to this thread. (Clearly!) It's lovely to meet you all :)

I began reading through the Beck Diet Solution a couple of weeks ago. I was excited to get up through Day 5 before having a week-long visit from family, so I kept my focus on those first five days while they were here. Thrilled to report that -- I mean give myself credit for the fact that I did very, very well with food planning while they were here. I even made time to read my Advantages.

However, things are back to normal and it's time I keep stepping forward to build on what I've done so far, and so I'm reaching out for more diet coaches/buddies for my Day 6 step.

I honestly hadn't expected to be faced with a hurdle so soon in the book, but eating slowly and mindfully (Day 5) is quite an obstacle. I'm very used to multitasking while I eat, and so I've had to make a conscious effort to get myself to the dining room. It's so automatic that I take my food into the computer room or to the living room, I've found myself turning on my heels while in the hallway and forcing myself back towards the dining room!

It might take a little while for paying attention to my food to become a habit, but when I think on it, this is a good thing and the right time to add it into my life.

Again, happy to see everyone, and I hope to get to know you all better and stay accountable and celebrate every step with everybody! :D

gardenerjoy 09-01-2011 10:14 PM

My goal for September is to weigh in each morning and post here. And work my way through A Course in Weight Loss. Then we'll see where I am.

WI: +1.35kgs, Exercise: +0 1340/1300 minutes and 35/33 miles for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

Beverlyjoy: You asked about ideas for staying healthy on the day back from a trip. You might want to try having a Landing Checklist (I did this when we camped frequently). It can include practical things like unpacking and laundry (which I find can be an emotional drag if I don't get them done quickly) and also spiritual or emotional things that help you appreciate the time away and reconnect to all the good things about coming home.

Welcome, Lovely!

MaryContrary 09-01-2011 10:49 PM

Hello, old friends!

Just a quick check-in to help me get back on track checking in here, in general. While 3FC pops up as one of my home pages, I've fallen out of the habit of reporting and reflecting here.

Life, as usual, is delicious and crazy. I have some of the same issues with eating, but find amazing comfort in the Beck skills which always help me to get back on track.

Here, tonight, I would like to give myself some credit. I believe about this time last year, I fully accepted the challenge of this new journey, beginning to seriously exercise and seriously change my approach to food. I started off weighing about 215. Now, nearly a year later, I weighed in this morning at 167, and have dropped 6-8 clothing sizes. I feel great! And what feels even better is that I know I can keep going, I know there's no rush, there is only the endless, kinda comforting cycle of always getting back on track, always balancing out life.

So, wish me luck for the upcoming year, as I'm building all these skills back into teaching -- into completing and defending my dissertation -- into going on the job market. It's going to be a crazy year, but at least I'm in a healthier place! Thanks to y'all for being part of my process.

Tazzy 09-01-2011 11:05 PM

Hello Coaches & Buddies,

Just a quick check in tonight as I'm getting organized to go away for a couple days after work tomorrow.

Credit yesterday for an OP day. And big credit for resisting an Eatmore chocolate bar and choosing an apple instead! I have been reading my cards and still working on Day 27 tasks. Weighed in and have stayed the same. I'm okay with that as my exercise has been really low this week. I need to make that a priority and stick with it. I did wear my pedometer today and as of right now am at 7309 steps. Not too bad, had a couple of excursions out of the office during the day so that helped.

Welcome back from vacation eusebius and welcome to the group Lovely. Hi to everyone else and have a good long weekend :wave:

SuperChick 09-02-2011 04:21 AM

Tgif!

Morning coaches, a super quick one from me this morning as I’m busy busy and have to leave work early to go on my cycle trip :bike2:

Weighed in: -1.4lb!
Credits: read arc, biked to work, planned food, have packed healthy snacks for the train journey later, checked in, weighed in, staying sane and pma in a crazy busy time!

I hope you’re all well and have a wonderful weekend filled with fun, I’ll be back Monday :wave:

P.S. welcome back Erika :)

BillBlueEyes 09-02-2011 06:14 AM

Welcome Lovely

:welcome: Lovely of Starstuff :welcome:

And, even though you've been an active poster for four months, :wel3fc:

However did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?

BillBlueEyes 09-02-2011 06:17 AM

T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Encountered two strong urges to go eat something to make things better; stood them both down, CREDIT moi. Gave myself credit for moving an electrical outlet twelve inches to allow a new stove to be plugged in for which I give myself CREDIT moi for giving myself credit, LOL. New stoves accept gas and electricity at the bottom; old stoves accept both at the top. Thus, an electrician and a plumber are required to replace an old stove. Sigh, in olden days you just bought a new stove, screwed it to the gas, and plugged it in.

onebyone - Ouch for the tensions of relationships and money - both require directed efforts to stay away from eating as a response. Hope that YMCA pass works out so you can have your water 'fix.'

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that you continue with A Course in Weight Loss - hope you remain able to make the Goldilocks choices that allow it to work for you.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for a nap to refresh the mind. Kudos for so much time spent with family and keeping your wits. Small increments sounds like a good idea.

Beverlyjoy – That's a good general notion, "success isn't a green light for . . ." .

MaryContrary – Congrats on your consistent efforts to accumulate that 48 pound loss. Glad that you're still around to share your "delicious and crazy" life. Kinda amazing to see you face your dissertation and job market.

maryann - Remaining on plan during your looooog days is a challenge; Kudos for working that.

Pam (pamatga) – Yep, that stretch of "food holidays" is a challenge. It's good to be reminded of them since I have to remember that it works for me to use the "I can have it next year." People seem ingrained offering food as a gesture of friendship.

SuperChick - Kudos for keeping your wits about you with so much going on. Be careful near Loch Ness - there are many folks who believe in the Monster who don't even know what a loch is, LOL. And some of us don't know how to tell a loch from a fjord but are quite sure that there would never have been a Fjord Ness Monster. Have a great trip.

Tazzy - Yep, Big Kudos for "resisting an Eatmore chocolate bar" - chocolate has a unique siren call.

Lovely - Yep, this eating slowing and mindfully is a challenge. Kudos for recognizing that and taking it seriously. And Kudos for spending time with your family and not trying to use food to make is all better.

LOL at the image of you "turning on my heels while in the hallway and forcing myself back towards the dining room" Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4

what to do . . .

. . .
3. Write the word credit on a sticky note. Place it on the fridge, on your computer, or in your appointment book or PDA to remind yourself to look for times that you deserve credit.
. . .

onebyone 09-02-2011 08:50 AM

Persisted in Victory

Hi Coaches , should I just say GOOD DAY!

I am doing a happy :carrot: dance this morning.
It's my official weigh-in day and I am 0.5lbs down from last Friday = 276 even. I saw a loss of 2.2lb this morning.

The happy :carrot: dance is not for the weightloss though I am relieved and thrilled to see it. (Thank you body.)
No, I am happy :carrot: dancing because for the first time is a very very very very long time I faced a stressful week, a very stressful day and night, a torrent of big emotions and I DID NOT EAT OVER ANYTHING.
I didn't!!!
OMG _THIS_ is what I have needed to do for years. When things are fine, I am fine but when they get tense or stressful or anxiety/crazymaking I used to eat. This time I didn't. I cannot tell you how important this is for me. YAY.
CREDIT CREDIT CREDIT.

Yesterday I also made a conscious effort to just eat less. I made my usual giant pot of chili and it was really good but I chose a bowl that was much more shallow than I usually do and it was smaller too. DH's was bigger.
I ate my bowl and didn't have seconds-I did succumb to a three tablespoonsful while at the stove in front of it when DH went back for seconds-and then I stopped. CREDIT.

I completed that 4 day win and read the next task, about the famine brain and making mental note/observing when I see a message around me that makes me a) think I must lose weight; also when I b) catch myself telling myself things to "make sure I'll lose weight"(you're tummy is so big you should lose weight-you don't have enough energy you should lose weight etc) c)then noticing which emotions are brought up by these thoughts (thoughts generate emotional states--sound familiar Becksters??) and d) holding these thoughts in my mind do I feel MORE of a desire to eat or LESS? She says, and this was radical to me:
Quote:

Overeating and putting on fat is the normal psychologocial response to the mere expectation of being chronically hungry. Let me emphasize: not being chronically hungry, merely expecting to be. p.46 4 Day Win
This state creates a biological panic in our body which makes us afraid, and fear makes us keep our fat. Lean times ahead! So that means, as I understand it, our biology revs up so we eat eat eat to stop this life or death famine from happening to us. She says we can't keep fighting our biology. We will never win. I'm telling you, this book is really helping me and a great twin to BDS.

Everything worked itself out between DH and I btw. We've stayed together so long I think cause neither of us wants to live in tense, worried, stressful homelives. I noticed we were being extra kind to each other once more. It's a good thing. I can count on one hand the times we've had bad times. That's good for 19 years and 333 days, or close to that.

I think I am finally ready for the ceramic studio. I've decided to make Messenger Birds for my studio tour. We'll see where I go with that.

Bye for now... TGIF--long weekend ahead!!!

maryann 09-02-2011 11:10 AM

onebyone: huge credit for getting thru the stress without over eating. That is a triumph:
marycontrary: glad to hear from you.
gardenerjoy: I read a course in weightloss and parts of it were very helpful. I found my new favorite prayer in there:
God, teach me to forgive myself and others. Remove walls that keep love out behind which I am a prisoner. HEAL MY GUILT and REMOVE MY ANGER.
BBE: You need to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. There is a buddha to be found in your stove.

Happy Vacation to all

I am packing this morning to camp on the Russian River on the northern coast. I am at sticker weight and am afraid I will gain after it has taken me a week to stay here. :( My plan: I will buy two prepackage salads for lunch and dinner so I don't have to worry about Friday. Saturday and Sunday will be exactly the same. Nothing new. Old, boring and I know exactly the calorie count. I will focus on my OTHER senses to fill me up with pleasure - sight of the beautiful ocean. Smell sound. Hugs from DS.
I am losing weight because I have proven I can do it. It is not a fluke. (ARC Card)

Michi702 09-02-2011 12:17 PM

Hi all :) Welcome Lovely, I guess we're just one day apart on Beck now because today is the big day - Finding Diet Coaches/Buddies! Since I've been posting here already it was a pretty easy step. I do, however, need to be mindful and keep the momentum of posting here either daily or a few times a week. What good is would diet coaches/buddies be if I didn't check in with them, right? :D

Yesterday was an easy day on plan, I made it through my last very long shift at work and got news that I will be training for a new position in two weeks which I am very happy about. I give myself credit for not eating the extra calories I had left over last night because I wasn't actually hungry. My sabotaging thoughts tried their hardest, but I told them to GO AWAY :)

Today is going to be stressful. I am going to have a lot of times when I will be crossing temptation; going to the movies with a friend, then out to dinner, and finally grocery shopping. I am almost done making a list for the grocery store and plan to stick to it like glue and I am researching a few local chain places to get calorie counts to figure out what I could order. Popcorn is a huge downfall for me at the movies and I am planning on buying a 'Kids Pack' which offers around 3 cups of popcorn, small bag of fruit snacks, and a small sized beverage. That way I can still enjoy some but I won't be mindlessly munching on a huge bag for 2 hours. This friend is actually my former room mate from college and she is very supportive of my lifestyle change so I am going to tell her my above plan and ask her nicely if she could nudge me in the right direction if I try to stray off path today.

I think that about covers it for now, I will try to get back here and post an update on how I did tonight but if not I will have one tomorrow. Have a great day everybody :hug:

Beverlyjoy 09-02-2011 01:26 PM

Hello Beckfolks/coaches - yesterday was a healthy day.. I am so grateful. I found the willingness to step away from the overeating I did the day before.

I got on the scale today and saw a two pound loss! YAY. My total for the month of August is down 8 pounds. I am very grateful and happy to find the willingness to try again.

We have a busy/food laden weekend ahead. My SIL is coming on Saturday from out of town and we'll have the cousins, etc over for a cookout here that evening. Monday - we are having a neighborhood cookout for two families moving on our street. The good thing is I have some control over what is served or available. So - on Saturday we will have London Broil, salad, corn on the cob and garlic bread. Cousin is bringing dessert. Monday will be hamburgers, veggie tray, baked beans (I don't like em). Someone else will bring dessert or it will be a watermelon. I am planning ahead but, taking it one challenge at a time.

Yesterday's I:
drank lots of water
planned/measured/logged food and put in food tracker
ate mostly seated
no seconds
tried to slow down
left a bite

Today I'd like to do the above things plus add: meditation, TASTE the food, stretches and strengthening (done) - read my ARC/RC/Beck info.

Thanks to everyone for your support, thoughts, and ideas.

pamatga 09-02-2011 03:16 PM

:welcome: lovely to the 3FC Beck Diet Solution Group.

Slow and mindful eating is the only thing that I would get an A in. I am so accustomed to eating most hot foods cool that I don't know what I would do with a 30 minute lunch break like some people. If any of us here will ever get together, make sure you remember to order coffee or sip water after you eat because I will still be finishing up. (DH does this all the time) Scout's honor!

Great Job "right out of the gate". You will nail this. I just know.:D

Bill I wish we could get washers/dryers that would last. We have replaced the ones we bought new in 2004 and it looks like we need to get another dryer asap. Nothing seems to last including paying for all this. Did you do the electrical work for the stove?? My DH would never attempt this.

marycontrary Hey GF, glad to see you back! :congrat: on your 1 year anniversary of the "Beck way" and the weight lose to boot. You got 'er down! :woohoo: Thanks for thinking of us :grouphug: to share this GREAT NEWS!

onebyone Homeostatis in the home again. How lovely! My DH and I have only "quibbles" too. We once had a blow out fight and we both ended up bawling afterwards. It was such a mess! So, we just snip at each other once in awhile. Last night, I requested some raisins (having problems with C) and he forgot them. He said, "Well, if we would have a date more often, then I would remember your raisins!" :tantrum: Whoa!!! I said "Well, who was too tired last Saturday night?? Hmmmm." :dunno: I always win!:D :rofl:

Super Great Job in not overeating over the malaise of the moment, onebyone! I have found that when I began counting calories, by default, I was actually stretching my food dollar more since I wasn't overeating (or not on purpose). My food bill dropped in half when I really knuckle down. I spent a whole week eating leftovers for lunch a couple of weeks ago and I was not complaining. They were as good the second time as they were the first. You can do this!!

beverlyjoy You are always so hard on yourself when you have had a "not so good" day. Be gentle to yourself. You are doing so well overall. Don't let a bump in the road swerve you off course.

Miche702 Great Plan for the movies. I do this at McDonald's. I order a kid's meal and then turn to the nearest child and ask them which toy they want. The parents are always surprised and the child is delighted.

gardenerjoy The most profound event that happened in my life in the past three years was my mom dying. It was totally unexpected how the events turned out but it brought me such a different perspective on life, possessions, what is important (and what isn't) and just what a gift we have been given "being alive". I would almost say it was a pivotal moment in my life among others. I am a kinder, gentler, more tolerant and loving person as a result. I just have a hard time being mean any more. How can I be?? People are such wonderful creatures. I see you and eusebius are seekers. "Seek and you shall find."

Superchick, eusebius, tazzy Love goes your way.

Now, that you are all refreshed; naps, no chocolate (chocolate-debate continues) and cycling; have a great weekend!

Stats for Day 24 9/1:
**1917 calories, 20 grams fiber, 2497 mg sodium
**did 20 min low impact aerobic (left knee got in way of giving it 100%)
**increased Lower Body Strength exercises to 3 sets of 15 reps with 5 lb ankle weights (now, this felt like a workout!)
**increased abs to 3 sets of 15 reps =180 total(4 parts)
**H2O-64 oz (this time I actually counted how much I drank)
**walked 1.5 miles slowly
**F/V: spinach, tomato, carrots, red grapes, NS o.j., NS cranberry juice, whole apple, cooked cabbage, green beans

Lost sodium bloat so had to change my ticker again. Over the "white knuckling" of less calories. Doing okay with food plan. Need to go grocery shopping tonight. Get some movies. Got a coupon in the box (see next) for 2 free dvds from RedBox kiosk. We love Orville Redebachers 94% Fat Free "Pop Up Bowl" popcorn. Keep poppin all!

gardenerjoy 09-02-2011 11:14 PM

Like onebyone, I was struck by a quote from my reading today, too:
Quote:

One of the ways you love yourself is permitting yourself to want what you want. One of the reasons people consume anything too much is because they don’t consume other things enough. You tend to take in too much material substance when you are starving yourself of spiritual substance. (p. 64, A Course in Weight Loss by Marianne Williamson)
WI: +0.4kgs, Exercise: +45 90/1300 minutes for September, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Great to see you, MaryContrary!

onebyone
: oh yay! This feels like a real breakthrough for you!

and, greetings to one and all! Happy holiday weekend to everyone who has one!

Lovely 09-03-2011 03:54 AM

Wow! Thank you all for the heartwarming welcomes! I feel so sincerely, well, welcome here! :D

Quote:

However did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Funny story... which I promise I'll try to keep brief as I tend to be verbose.

The VERY short version: Google brought me to 3FC a long time ago. I joined back in Sept/Oct 2007 under a different username. I lost over 100 pounds. Stuff happened. (No excuses, though!) Gained it back. Re-joined 3FC May of this year with my game face on (and a different name).

Finding Beck: I have to credit 3FC. I was glancing around the site. I realized that while I knew a little bit about all sorts of diets (Atkins, South Beach, Calorie Counting, IP) that I knew nothing of this "Beck Diet Solution". Come to find out while searching this section that it's not a diet program per say, but rather a program about making permanent, sustainable changes. I was on board immediately. Especially with having gained back 100 pounds once. I do not think that I can express in words just how much I never, never, never (ad infinity) want to go back to my highest weight. I thought, "If this book can give me even one tool that will help me maintain every pound I lose, this will be worth it." I ordered the book.... and here I am! :)

Day 7 was yesterday. Arrange my environment.

One of the benefits of already following an eating plan and all my past experience is that some of these steps are already ingrained in me. Still, I want to make this a conscious effort. It's a lot easier to avoid temptations entirely by keeping certain foods out of sight & out of mind. (And some foods out of house!)

I took a look around my kitchen, and the only thing I had out was onions potatoes and bread, as usual. I examined my cabinets, and I already have the semi-tempting foods in slightly awkward places that won't call out to me.

I did take the opportunity to re-arrange a few things on my usual shopping list. Not quite environmental in a home/works sense, but should help a smidge with grocery stores.

Again, thank you all for the welcomes! :grouphug:

Check List 9/2 (Day 7)
* Read my A&RCs twice: :yes:
* Ate slowly & mindfully: Twice today out of three meals. And 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
* Credit (Stickers for me!): Often!
* Made changes at home/work: :yes:

BillBlueEyes 09-03-2011 06:24 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Big CREDIT moi for standing down a BIG urge to go eat something to resolve just-another-crisis. I pulled out "Just say NO" and continued on. The crisis resolved by a quick trip to the despised big box stores to find out why the stove was delivered with a dent and wasn't the one we purchased anyway. Turns out it was the one we ordered - it just didn't have the features that the salesman told us it would have, Ouch! The most amazing thing is that we were able to change models, get the same percentage sales price, and have it delivered tomorrow (Sunday) so that we will be ready for plumbers. Successful resolution made not eating about it all the sweeter.

onebyone - KUDOS for "and I DID NOT EAT OVER ANYTHING" - such joy in your post!!! Yay for making the decision on what to make at your ceramic studio tour.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the quote, "One of the reasons people consume anything too much is because they don’t consume other things enough."

Beverlyjoy – Congrats on your eight pound August. And Kudos for "I am planning ahead but, taking it one challenge at a time."

maryann - Just love, "I am losing weight because I have proven I can do it. It is not a fluke." [Thanks for the nudge to Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance - it’s been on my list for decades but I haven't picked it up.]

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for continuing to increase your lower body strength exercises. [Yep, did the electrical for the stove. I find electrical easier than gas.]

Michi702 - LOL at "but I told them to GO AWAY" - but with Kudos. Neat to solicit your former roommate to stay the course at the movies.

Lovely - Thanks for the brief story - with big Ouch for the 100 pound round trip. Neat attitude to be open to "even one tool that will help me maintain every pound I lose" - seems like you're on your way.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4

what to do . . .

. . .
4. Give yourself credit every time you check off an item on your Stage 1 Success Skills Sheet (pages 266-267).

Beverlyjoy 09-03-2011 07:53 AM

Hi friends... yesterday was a healthy day... I am always grateful for that.

I fulfilled many of my goals:
eat seated only - yes
fork down between bites - some of the time
no seconds -yes
leave a bite - yes
slow mindful eating - nope... stll too fast
log/measure/log/food tracker all my food - yes
journal - yes
meditation - YES
stretches and strengthening - yes
lots of water - not quite enough
weighed - yes
Arc/rc/beck - no

All the neighbors gathered and were chatting. DH didn't get home until 7pm. I had dinner ready (tuna salad). He/we stayed outside until 8:45 - I ate dinner then. It didn't 'kill' me to wait and realized that I don't have to eat by what the clock says. I did, however, have a slice of lite cheese at 6pm.

The little neighbors always run over to say hi when DH and I get home. They spotted Dh’s bag of BBQ Chips and asked to have some. After it was cleared with their parents I held the bag of chips for an hour as they came back and forth nibbling. I got through it thinking of their ‘grubby’ hands going in an out of the bag and I didn’t want to eat them after that. Said no choice… Credit!

Today we will have out of town company and a cookout: London Broil, tossed salad, corn on the cob, garlic bread, watermelon, & brownies (cousin bringing & will take extras or they go in the trash immediately.)

I have been waking up all week at 3 or 4 am. What's that about??? Maybe some cammomile tea. However, I haven’t been eating in the middle of the night except once all week.

Billbe - major credit for pulling out NO CHOICE when faced with all the stove drama.So glad it was resolved with no extra food in the equation. Credit!

Lovely - so glad you found Dr. Beck's techniques. You have a wonderful attitude about any and all 'advice' is in her book. Kudos for setting up your kitchen to exclude all the major tempting things.

onebyone - .5 down... yippee. (you know it's two sticks of butter!!!) Wonderful quote about being chronically hungry. Thanks for sharing. Glad you are ready for the ceramic studio.

maryann - thanks for sharing that prayer. Credit for bringing your salad. Have a good trip.

gardenerjoy - thanks for reposting onebyone's quote... good to read it again. Credit for reading your rc/arc!

pamatga - it's wonderful that you are slow eater... I struggle with slowing down. It show's me it can be done! I notice that you consistently have lots of fruits and veggies. Credit.

Michi - Credit for your good planning of your movie snacks... planning is key. You said: What good is would diet coaches/buddies be if I didn't check in with them, right? Yes, indeed!! It's easy to 'run away' when we aren't doing so good. But, ultimately it's the coaches and friends who may be able to help. That being said... there are times when I have 'run away' for a way... but, I always come back.

Have a good weekend everyone.

onebyone 09-03-2011 09:19 AM

Already the 3rd of September? Really??

Hello Coaches

Woke up this morning and weighed myself *credit* and saw 0.0lbs change. ot up or down. That's pretty rare.

I went to the Y yesterday to get my free 2 week pass and they told me to come and get it on the day that I would be working out--which will be Tuesday, as I confirmed that it does cover water aerobics. :swim:

I was worried I didn't do my 1st of 4 daily 4 Day Win exercises from my book, the one about noticing when my Famine Brain is triggered. Then I remembered that right after I finished my dinner, like right right after I saw it was done, right away I had a series of thoughts: "this isn't enough. I want more. I'm not full" I then felt a strong strong urge to go get more. I felt a bit afraid. I felt very compulsive. It was all very very quiet. I really had to take the time to stop, be calm and listen. I told DH how I was feeling and he told me to "let it settle" so I took a deep breath and thought "what can I do to change this?" and I decided to have a cup of coffee. Coffee does wonders for me and it is like a period at the end of a sentence to me. It just gives me enough time and calmness to move on, put it behind me, start something else. *credit for taking the time to do the exercise, write it down and work it through so I do not eat food I do not need.

The only part of my new 4 day exercise I didn't do completely was my daily small reward of reading Buzz Aldrin's book for 30 min. I did manage 10min right before bed *credit

I am repeating my success today. That's my plan.

Have a good Saturday Becksters.

pamatga 09-03-2011 11:58 AM

gardenerjoy April 2009; I decided to forego the monthly payment of $140 to our off-site storage unit and begin to sort through everything. It has been quite a journey spiritually as well. I gave away a recumbent bike that hurt my knees. It was barely used. I have given t.v., furniture, etc. You name it and it went to Goodwill or other charitable organizations. So far, to date, I have given away 15 lawn-size garbage bags of clothes alone!! Talk about excess! I am living proof of your quote.

Regarding the excess of clothes; I was desperately unhappy about my body image, my obesity, etc. (I mean duh!) so I felt like "if only" I had more, more, more clothes, that would somehow "fix my feelings so crummy about myself". NO! No! NO! :nono: Once I began to take the courage to donate all of those clothes that made me feel even worse when I either tried them on or just allowed them to hang there in my closet, and I began to focus on changing the actual "hanger" (my body) that those clothes hung on, then my body image began to improve.

Right now, I have empty pockets of space in my side of our walk-in closet. However, what I do own, I know it fits and it makes me look "really good". I always thought I had to be surrounded by lots of stuff. I am one of the "original Material Girls".:D I was always maxed out on my credit cards, I always a sucker for a last minute shopping spree and I was also heavily in debt most of my life. That was another stress on top of everything else. So, why not eat over that as well? The circle just kept going around and around and around.

Well, I have always said that I had a tri-core addiction: food, money and bad people. It is always interesting (to me anyway) that when I make steps in one area, the other areas improve quite a bit. As I organized my home space, which I was going for serenity and calm oasis (did it), it became easier to work on my weight, when I asked for what I really needed (a hug, an ear to listen or someone to laugh with and be silly) from only the very best people, I didn't need to be punished, shamed or criticized.

Now, that I am getting more full on the inside, I just don't need all that stuff sitting around on the outside. It used to absolutely panic me if the refrigerator and cupboards weren't brimming over with foods (usually bad ones too) but here I am several days past due for a complete grocery store trip and I looked into a nearly bare refrigerator, shrugged and had a cup of skim milk for breakfast. That was enough.

May you and everyone here be blessed with this kind of journey's end. The trip was tiring and at times I got lost but I believe I am on the final lap. Whew!

Stats for Day 25 9/2:

**1832 calories 31 g fiber 2229 mg sodium
**walked 2 miles (used pedometer for accuracy)
**did 3-10 minute sessions on treadmill---did interval walking 1.5-1.7 mph
**increased to 3 sets of 15 reps each for Upper Body Strength Exercises with 3 lbs hand weights
**F/V: banana, apple, red grapes, mixed vegetables on organic pizza
**Planned:have a general idea what I plan to eat but wait to log it on BLC food log until it is prepared
**Log: Every day every bite No Matter What!
**H2O--I forget to keep count but chewed lots of ice (new favorite this past summer)
**Sleep-7 hours (burning the midnight oil too much!)

Lexxiss 09-03-2011 09:11 PM

Hi Coaches!

I tried to post Friday morning and couldn't from my computer:
"Hi Coaches! I made healthy choices yesterday and used my Beck skills to successfully navigate an unexpected lunch out. Exercise was major painting and scraping, which included a skywalk on a big ladder I've been up 20 hours...frustrated by a section of roof which needs to be replaced which will necessitate another trip next week. Oh, well...for some reason, I didn't eat over my frustration...just couldn't sleep."

Since then....

We finished our painting job :woohoo:....I attended opening eve of my 35th class reunion enjoying water and about 4 or 5 tortilla chips....we traveled back over to our western locale. Today was a planned "off plan" day. We had our annual BBQ for our therapy dog organization. We're taking an official day off tomorrow...no church...no work...no obligations. We will eat leftovers, then Monday it will be back to basics. I made a giant pie today and was grateful to have the willingness to scoop all the extra pie crust into my compost pile, knowing I could enjoy it on the pie later. *credit*

Since my Friday personals are a little outdated, I'll regroup here very soon.

gardenerjoy 09-03-2011 10:39 PM

I finally posted a review of The Beck Diet Solution on my blog: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2011/09/...judith-s-beck/

WI: -0.3kgs, Exercise: +45 135/1300 minutes for September, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes 09-04-2011 04:30 AM

Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW and I lost a virginity together - our first-time-to-Ikea virginity. Kinda WOW and OUCH simultaneously. We went because it had a unique light fixture we couldn't find elsewhere - including the high end lighting stores. Super low prices on low quality stuff with dazzling good looks. It's great college dorm furnishing for those who get out in four years. CREDIT moi for the effort to get what we needed to move our project along.

And Kudos to Ikea for selling a delightfully small, 75 cent, frozen yogurt when we were both looking for a fix to the brain damage that place caused, LOL. CREDIT moi for an acceptable substitute for my afternoon snack instead of the 99 cent large dark chocolate bars, in huge mounds, calling my name.

onebyone - Great advice, that "let it settle" - Kudos for taking that path and (re)discovering that coffee is "like a period at the end of a sentence" after a meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for sharing the link to your review of the Beck Diet Solution.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos both for the NO CHOICE and for giving yourself credit. Great strategy to think of grubby little hands.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for finishing that painting! Kudos for sending the extra pie crust to the compost.

Pam (pamatga) – I know the thought that more clothes is the fix to not liking our bodies or our clothes. It was such a joy to discover that I didn't hate packing for a trip if I had a few nice clothes that fit.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4

what to do . . .

Some dieters say it feels unnatural to give themselves credit. Continual practice makes a behavior feel more natural. So try to notice every single thing you do right.

Lovely 09-04-2011 08:19 AM

Morning and Happy Sunday everyone! :D

Yesterday was Day 8 (Create Time & Energy) and that went really well!

I've always made time for exercising and for shopping healthier and eating healthier, but I never before actually wrote down a schedule or priorities. At first I did not want to, but as I got into it... well... it got to be fun! I ended up with a pretty good starting schedule.

I was also feeling very organized and I had some extra patterned printing paper, so I typed up check lists and materials from the book for up through Day 14 (end of week 2) and put them into a three-ring binder. Essentially I printed out my own workbook/reply notebook. I'm loving it. I get to check things off and respond to the questions the book asks. And it looks pretty! :lol:

I also figured it would help me stay on top of scheduling and planning as I move along in the book. A giant rainbow sticker of credit for me and this notebook. (I ... really do have stickers I'm putting on the pages >_>)

Check List 9/4 (Day 8)
*Read my A&RCs at least twice: :yes:
*Ate at the dining room table: THREE times out of the four meals I had. Happy about this!
*Credit given (stickers!): Happily and often. :)
*Scheduled dieting into my calendar: :yes:

A happy credit/side note: My own mother uses WW, too, and while we talk every once in a while, I got the chance to ask her specifically if she'd like to talk at least once a week about the program and weight loss, etc. So, I added yet another diet coach/buddy. Also, it's my mother, so I know she'll love me no matter what happens -- and I'd have terrible guilt if I avoided speaking to my own mother after I tell her we should speak more often. :lol: A good way to stay on plan and keep in touch!
---

For today, I'm going to be working both Day 9 (Select an Exercise Plan) and Day 10 (Set a Realistic Goal). The only reason I'm combining is that I have already done both of them a long time ago. I'm not trying to rush through the program, though, because some days (like Day 5) I spent multiple days on before taking another step forward. So these two days I'm confident about putting together, only because I have no qualms about spending a few days on a single day's step in the future when I need it. :yes:

Have a great day, everyone! :high:

onebyone 09-04-2011 09:34 AM

Sunday Sunday

Good Morning Coaches

A short check in this morning.*credit I weighed in at +2.2 = 278.2 today. I overate yesterday by grazing the whole day. *credit I did my 2/4 exercises focusing on my "famine brain" last night but the whole thing did not come clear until this morning. *credit I realized that my eating was triggered (eg. I triggered my famine brain response) by a phone conversation discussing diets and dieting and what was working for me now and how great things are going. After the phone call I slowly ate stuff all day long, including some foods I don't/didn't really want (and told the person on the phone I specifically don't have anymore) and some drinks that I knew as I drank them were pure empty calories. I did not take the time to calm myself this time either cause it was a slow burn. Wow. I'm seeing things and behaviours I just haven't noticed before. I think this is all good. "You can't change what you don't acknowledge", as Dr. Phil says.

OH WELL. That was yesterday...

Today is a new day and I am off to make "birds in the hand" out of clay at the ceramic studio for a few hours. *update/credit: made one large bird and 5 small hand-sized birds. Have a great Sunday Becksters.

Beverlyjoy 09-04-2011 10:19 AM

Hi Beckies/coaches/friends - we had a wonderful time yesteday - SIL came down. Later our cousins and Aunt Mackie came over for dinner. Aunt Mackie didn't feel so good.... but, she came over because her neice (SIL) was here. It pushed her to do it. However, my mom didn't feel good enough to come over. (phooey)

She and DH went to the store for something and came back with my very favorite ice cream (it would be the dessert for my 'last meal' type ice cream). I did have some. I must admit that after eating the ice cream I also had some peanuts and some garlic bread. However, eating that unplanned ice cream etc. doesnt' mean I should go crazy for the next three days. There's another pint of the ice cream that may have to go into the trash. It's a shame because it's expensive. But, - better in the trash than me.

I did many of my daily goals throughout the day
ate seated only
meditation
lots of water
journalling
planned (even though it got changed... I did have a plan)

I have planned for a healthy day today.

Have a great day.

Tazzy 09-04-2011 11:27 AM

Hello Everyone!

Back after my short getaway to visit my parents. I stayed OP pretty well since Friday, yesterday afternoon at a cousin's was more difficult when a tray of finger foods came out. I stuck with the raw veggies for as long as I could but the potato chips did eventually win but I only had about 5. Credit for that and mindful eating at the time. I also got some spontaneous exercise in by going swimming for 30 minutes which I really enjoyed.

I have about 4 days of my Beck book to catch up on. For now it's off to Zumba class, then the car wash (to remove a lot of dead bugs:yikes:) then I'll sit outside this afternoon to work on those days. Our good weather weekend continues.

I'll check back in later for personals. Have a good Sunday :flow1:

Lexxiss 09-04-2011 02:13 PM

Hi Coaches!

Lots of weekend check-ins! Let's give ourselves a round of "self" applause :cp:

Even after "planning" a day of leftovers, I was ready to Get Back On Track this morning. The good news was that it was an auto-response. I've been noticing lately, that many of my Beck skills don't have to be thought through quite so much. Interesting.
What happened? After getting dressed, I had not weighed, so I went for some spontaneous exercise and undressed and weighed. DH offered the pool and I let him go alone deciding instead to arrange my environment. Skin got pulled off of leftover chix, extra white rolls were pitched and I started my OP advance meal preps; a great pot of black beans, spaghetti squash frozen and a nice salad prepped. I decided while making my smoothie to get everything written down today and to get back to my tracking. *credit* It feels good! I want to be thinner and I have to work my program in order for that to happen.

BillBlueEyes, congratulations on tackling Ikea!It's certainly a monumental process. It's been awhile...Nice to know they have a small frozen yogurt as an acceptable substitute for chocolate and *credit* that you chose it.

Tazzy, great check in; 5 chips, spontaneous exercise, Zumba and catching up with your Beck reading. Yay!

Beverlyjoy, it's great when you realize that unplanned eating doesn't have to go on for days-even if that ice cream gets pitched. *credit*

onebyone, your birds sound like lots of fun! Your taking time to analyze some of your feelings/triggers are valuable. You penned one of my favorite sayings...Dr Phil.

Lovely, welcome! I like "pretty" lists (and stickers). Great job eating at the table 3 of 4 times and working on all kinds of new skills. I, too, combined some days in the book, since I had been dieting for awhile before I got here.

gardenerjoy, thx for the link to your review! You said, "I just don’t eat as slowly and mindfully as the book says I should and I think that having one little rebellion to the rules is also a key to my success." I had just been thinking the same thing!

Pam(atga), such an interesting observation, "that when I make steps in one area, the other areas improve quite a bit." Since starting Beck Diet Solution, I try very hard to keep my environment sane...knowing it helps with my food sanity. I love that your closet contains clothes that fit AND make you look good!

MaryContrary 09-04-2011 03:03 PM

Balanced mind.

Hello, friends,

Last year -- my fellowship year -- I gave most of my mind to exercise and eating right. Although I accomplished much in the dissertation department, I can see now that my energies weren't fully in that sphere of my life. I'm okay with that, because I could not have made these changes while teaching.

So it has been a challenging month in terms of building teaching back into this new way of living, and putting my dissertation first. During the month of August I worked out less than I ever have since beginning this journey. Last Saturday -- one of the days devoted to dissertation writing -- I FORGOT to work out. More precisely, I forgot to think about whether or not to work out, I forgot to make the choice NOT to work out.

That freaked me out a bit, which is part of the reason I am touching back in with the basic Beck skills, such as checking in here. I do NOT want to forget about the skills even as I shift the priority to my dissertation and job search.

Today I work on my dissertation, as I did yesterday. Yesterday, I chose not to work out because I took a bad fall on Thursday and mildly sprained my ankle. Still, I thought about it and made the choice. Credit moi!

Hugs and positive energy to all of you, in all parts of the world!

gardenerjoy 09-04-2011 11:10 PM

Hope everyone who is having a 3-day weekend is doing well. Our family meal didn't go as well as it does sometimes, but it's over now. Tomorrow, I'm in charge of our eating and it will go better.

Michi702 09-05-2011 12:36 AM

Hey everyone!

Today is day 8 on Beck for me, and I have to say I really did need today's lesson in a big way! I always do things last minute or down to the wire because I hate wasting time, but sometimes that makes me so stressed out that I don't give enough time for myself to do it all. Classic example today; I slept in until noon (though didn't intend to) and then spent far too much time futzing around on the internet and watching TV. Had to be at work for 4:15 meaning I leave here at the LATEST 3:50 pm. I realized that it was almost 3 pm and I hadn't even started reading today's chapter yet (though I DID get my ARCs in while my computer was turning on!), still needed to eat AND shower. Pre-Beck I would have been able to scarf down some frozen thing while reading but instead I finished my chapter, prepared a quick meal, and sat down to eat. I tried to stretch eating into 15 minutes but it was a challenge. I managed to be in the car by 3:48 and somehow I almost got to work 10 minutes early!

After today's chapter, I realized I have to plan at least an extra half hour into my day for properly reading the day's pages and doing the exercises. I also want to have some sort of credit tracking system - be it stickers in a notebook or putting smiley faces on a calendar for each day that I did well. I like having a visual reminder of my success around.

Tomorrow is a Labor Day cook out at work and I've already seen what they'll be serving - hot dogs, burgers, macaroni salad, potato salad, and I assume chips and cookies will make an appearance as well. I banked some calories today so that I can have something tomorrow from the cookout, and I plan to get either a cheeseburger or a hot dog and just a few tastes of the sides. I actually don't like potato salad and most macaroni salads are too mayonnaise-y for my tastes so I'll be ok there. I will just have to be vigilant on dessert and main course.

I'm hoping to give you guys a positive report tomorrow night, and I'll have to keep my ARC close tomorrow just in case my will power is a bit low.

pamatga 09-05-2011 01:57 AM

Sorry, I was MIA for a couple of days but this was one of those rare opportunities where my DH, Paul, didn't have any other committments (his personal calendar fills up very fast) so I got out my own "Honey Do" list and we hit the ground running on Saturday a.m. and now it is nearly 2 a.m. Monday and I am just getting to post here.

Onebyone I completely understand the contradictions in your behavior. I have such moments all the time.

Lexxiss, tazzy, michi702 and beverlyjoy-my twist on this holiday meals is that I "thought" that if I ate one less pre-planned meal earlier in the day when it came time to put my feet up and watch some rented dvds with DH in the evening, I could have a small drink, some popcorn and 3 pieces of Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Intense Toffee Interlude. For Sunday dinner, I made the best darn meal [tender, but salty ham, mashed potatoes with peppered milk gravy, sweet potato(from our garden) casserole, sauteed garlicy whole green beans and ripe tomatoes from our garden] but even though I kept the portions to single servings, I still "went over" my recommended calorie range. Then, to top it off, my knees have really been bothering me so I was taking more anti-inflammatory meds and icing while watching the movies we rented. What can I say??? :shrug:
"The best laid plans of mice and Pam....." :dunno:

Stats for 9/3 (Saturday):
**2048 calories (200+) 34 g fiber 2909 mg sodium
**2-10 minutes sessions on the treadmill
**walked 1.75 miles painfully (more of a hobble than walk!)
**having some real acute pain in my left knee.
**F/V:sweet potato, okra, corn on the cob, broccoli, cauliflower---no fruit!
**sugar-yes-Ghirardelli's Dark Chocolate Intense Toffee Interlude-3 pieces.
**sleep-7 hours
**post (now)
***plan --usual
**h2O-not sure, chew a lot of glasses of ice

Stats for 9/4 (Sunday):
**2421 calories (400+) 31 g fiber 3225 mg sodium (225+)
**raisins, sweet potato, green beans, tomatoes , NS o.j.
**sugar-yes-Ghirardelli's Dark Chocolate Intense Toffee Interlude-3 pieces.
**walked 1.25 miles very slowly--knees are killing me
**scratched other exercise--self-treated knees with anti-inflammatory and icing them.
**sleep-7 hours
***plan --usual--it stays in my head until I log it on my food log on BLC
**h2O--not drinking per se but chew a lot of ice!!

Between the sodium and the constipation:ziplip:, I am stuck regarding weight lose. Try more raisins, maybe some prunes and lots of water. I want to "uncork" it! :rolleyes:

Otherwise, a very lovely weekend overall. Since we will get the backwater from the tropical storm that is scheduled to hit New Orleans, we will be deluged with lots of rain and high winds. Have a safe Labor Day!:hug:

SuperChick 09-05-2011 04:57 AM

Monday - zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Morning coaches! Still alive after riding 110 miles (partly) along loch ness at the weekend, but I didn’t get home until midnight so I’m pretty tired today, and trying to function at work is pretty hard! Still waiting for the coffee to kick in :coffee:

So, in my sleepy daze this morning, I forgot to weigh in. I’ve a pretty busy few days ahead before we go on holiday on Wednesday, so I’m going to have lists coming out of my ears!

BBE – no sighting of Nessie, unfortunately. Some canoers who could have been mistaken for her if I’d squinted, lol. IKEA is dangerous. Always take a list. I have been known to have a semi-meltdown in IKEA before, and now BF and I do not go to IKEA together. Ever. :lol:

Onebyone - :woohoo: massive credit for not eating in the face stress, well done :D

Hello to lovely, pam, gardnerjoy, maryann, Debbie, beverlyjoy, michi and everyone whos lurking :wave:

Have a good Monday, I’m going to go and resist crawling under my desk for a nap! :lol:

BillBlueEyes 09-05-2011 07:08 AM

Monday - Labor Day in the U.S.

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Learned something about these marvelous little spot lights made for track lighting type of situations - they're blinding if you arrange them so that the eye can see them directly, LOL. Good thing I learned this by temporarily placing one in a hallway using a pole to press it hold it to the ceiling for a test. One light did a superb job of lighting a bookcase that's hard to view. But the other pointed toward the rest of the hallway proved blinding. Yay for testing first and wiring second.

Eating was on plan with a little effort when the old notion arose that a snack would fix that I didn't want to do the next thing to be done - CREDIT moi for standing that down and continuing with my day.

onebyone - Kudos for moving forward to "birds in the hand."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sometimes just surviving family situations deserves a Kudos.

Beverlyjoy – It's certainly planning ahead to know the menu of your "last meal," LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay that you've got some Beck skills on "auto-response."

maryann - Yep, Kudos for making thoughtful choices.

Pam (pamatga) – Hope you survive that tropical storm coming your way. Your meal does sound good.

SuperChick - Kudos for such a long ride and still making it to work at all. [Thanks for the support, "IKEA is dangerous." I saw folks leaving with GIANT mounds of stuff. We both felt the constant urge to just grab things out of the big stacks of them.]

Tazzy - Yep, those trays of finger foods are a deadly temptation to just nibble continuously. BTDT.

Michi702 - Interesting to observe that your eating plan doesn't do well when squeezed in time - Kudos for planning to deal with that. Your idea for stickers seems great. Do be careful not to make your 'credits' only span a whole day being aware that you could get stingy with whole day credits for small diversions and create a discouragement instead of support.

Lovely - So much good stuff! Kudos for designing and making your own diet workbook that will be a pleasure to haul around and update. Neat to incorporate your mom as a Diet Coach/Buddy. My take is that you can't have too many supportive ones.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4

what to do . . .

Even at this point, before you have finished Stage 1, you deserve credit every time you:
  • Read (or reread) this book.
  • Read a Response Card.
  • Weigh yourself.
  • Read your Advantages Deck.
  • Arrange your schedule to make time to practice your skills.