Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/195/165 (for now)

Height: 5' 2"

Question Curious - which book would you recommend?

I thought over the years I had heard about every plan/idea/tool for losing weight. But today I saw some posts for this Beck Diet Solution for the very first time. I have to admit that I am intrigued. I have had varied success with Weight Watchers over the years (when you follow it, it works - just like anything else, right?). From reading some of your posts, I suspect this book may help me stay focused and figure out why I keep quitting.......

So my question is how best to start? From what I have read, it seems that there are two books? Does anyone prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
missyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyj View Post
I thought over the years I had heard about every plan/idea/tool for losing weight. But today I saw some posts for this Beck Diet Solution for the very first time. I have to admit that I am intrigued. I have had varied success with Weight Watchers over the years (when you follow it, it works - just like anything else, right?). From reading some of your posts, I suspect this book may help me stay focused and figure out why I keep quitting.......

So my question is how best to start? From what I have read, it seems that there are two books? Does anyone prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
I personally like the first one, which has a bright pink dustcover; which was published first. It is very detailed and thorough. It has you doing daily exercises; ie, writing response cards (to your sabotaging thoughts), etc. It builds up the momentum over a 42 day period.

However, many of the others in our group swear by the bright green book, which came out a few years later after the original was published in 2007. I also bought that because our "leader" BillBlueEyes who opens each day and has a quote from the green book, uses that as a point of reference and conversation, if you will. It does include sample recipes and menus if you don't know where to get started for a diet plan.

After reading the pink book first I felt the green one was sort of anticlimatic but that is because I already had indoctrinated myself with the Beck skills and ideas so I didn't give it as much attention as I probably would have had I read that first.

So, my recommendation is choose the one which you feel will best suit your needs. If you already have a diet plan then maybe the pink one would be better (although since it was published in 2007, it might be harder to find in a bookstore). If you are absolutely fresh from the start, then the green one might help you get started.

Good luck and hope to see you in our group discussion.

Pam
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #3  

Thank you so much for your opinions/insight! I am looking forward to getting one or the other in the near future. I will certainly keep an eye on the boards as well!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi missyj,

I have the Pink Book, the Green Book, and the Pink Workbook. I just read them over and over to stay motivated. If I could only have 2, I'd not keep the Green one. The Pink workbook has some interesting things I didn't see in the full Pink book, plus it presents the information in fast bite sized chunks.

I started by checking the Pink book out from my local library, then had to special order it since my local bookstore didn't have it in stock.

Welcome to you. I hope you like the Beck techniques. They have worked really well for me.

Woodland
Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi missyj,

One comparison of the two books can be found here:
The Beck Diet Solution - the Pink Book - by AnneWonders in the Maintenance Library.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life - the Green Book - by AnneWonders in the Maintenance Library.
I did the original 42 day program with the Pink Book and was quite pleased. The Green Book changes the shape of the program, with the key strategies the same, and it adds a suitable set of recipes for a diet plan.

I've quoted both books in their entireties in the sequence of daily quotes over the last three years. Currently, I'm posting daily quotes from the Green Book. When that's done in a few months, I'll start on the Pink Book again.

Either will work, if you take the strategies seriously. If you wanted my opinion, I'd recommend the Pink Book for the joy in progressing through those 42 days and because when you want a fresh view of CBT, you can then progress to the Green Book.

I haven't read the Work Book, but it's on my list to get some day just to see the differences. Since I'm in this for the long run, the thought of reading all three over a few years feels reasonable.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #6  

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement! I actually picked up the Pink Book at the bookstore last night. I have started reading the introductory chapters, and I find them incredibly interesting. I see myself in almost all of the examples! I think the process of working through the daily exercises/strategies will work well for me. I am very excited to get started, and I will certainly chime in around here for advice.