Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/230/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Please help me decide which book to get....

Hello all, I'm new here and happy that this forum popped up on Google. It looks like exactly what I was hoping to find.

My very first cry for help is, which book or books should I get?? I have checked out all three from the library but I'm struggling on the decision of which to buy. I don't think I will be following the eating plan in Complete Beck Diet for Life, I am just not sure how to decide which behavioral plan would be best. Any thoughts? Also, is the workbook really stand-alone or would I benefit from getting the book also, if I choose the pink option?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
rosaphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi and

I originally checked both books out from my local library. After perusing both, I recognized that the pink book was the most thorough option for me to work on learning the Beck techniques on a daily basis using Dr Beck's 6 week plan. I bought the notebook because I wanted the option of writing in it.

I enjoy reading in the other book, athough I don't follow the food plan either. I did find helpful information to make my food plan more flexible an effective.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

rosaphile, I think you answered your own question. If you won't be following the diet in the green book, and you are more into behavior changes, then I think you would benefit more from the pink one (Beck Diet Solution). I started with that, and never found it necessary to buy the second book until I found it for sale at B and N..and gave my pink book to a friend. Both are great, and so is this forum! Welcome.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Rosaphile,

I'm agreeing with the other folks too. The pink book is my favorite, next is the workbook and last is the green book. That said, I enjoy having all three as they have some unique ideas. To start though, I think the pink book is the best, most comprehensive explanation of the techniques, which I love!

Welcome to the forums,
Woodland
Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Hi rosaphile -

The good news is that you can't lose whichever way you go. There have been posters on this forum who've done each of them alone and others who've done them all, one by one.

I did the pink book back when it was the only one. It worked for me to progress through the program on its day-by-day approach. I now have the green book and get good ideas by reading it, also.

So, pick the one that appeals to your brain, charge forth, and don't look back. You're likely to buy the other one at some point in the future - like in a year or so.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

So glad you found this forum and posted!!!

I started out with the first Beck book and found it very very helpful and informational. I later got the workbook form of the Beck Solution. I find that it is similar in content but - different enough in approach to have many helpful ideas. I use a combination of these two.

I use a pretty spiral notebook to keep track of my daily goals, food plan, and all the other things I need/want to keep track of.

I don't have the third comprehensive book because I am a calorie counter and figured that since I wasn't going to use that food plan at this time, I didn't need the book.

Here at this forum, people are doing Beck from all the different books.

Glad you could find them all at the library!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #7  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I use the pink book, and a bigger-size calander/appointment type notebook to keep up with my goals. I like how its predated... I ended up choosing it AFTER I lost my response cards a few dozen times!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I hope you have your books now!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #9  

I don't have the third comprehensive book because I am a calorie counter and figured that since I wasn't going to use that food plan at this time, I didn't need the book.
Jehnavi is offline   Reply With Quote