Old 01-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/197.5/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Splenda???

I feel like I'm drinking coffee more than I used to since starting Atkins. I only use 1 packet of Splenda for each cup, but I'm drinking 3 cups a day. Is this too much Splenda? Has anyone had side effects from consuming Splenda?
Michellelanham1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #2  
not looking back

S/C/G: 196/150

Height: 5'7

I think everyone's body reacts differently, you'll have to do some experiments and find out what works best for you...
smith1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #3  

I have been using Splenda in my iced tea (made by the gallon w/ 2/3 c. Splenda) for 5-6 years. I have had no adverse effects, and there are days when I drink half a gallon. You should double check the Splenda allowance for whatever phase of Atkins you are on.
Lady Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Keep in mind Splenda is limited to 3 packets per day. It tends to stall a lot of people but, YMMV.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #5  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Jersey, what is your opinion of Stevia? I used splenda in my coffee (1/2) a packet but I am going to cut that back. However, I love love iced tea and wonder if there is something I could use in place of Splenda?

I don't do overly sweet anyway, so I can probably learn to love it without any sweetener.

eta: Since I've been low carbing the only think I drink besides my morning 2 cups of coffee is water. I am soooooooooo thirsty. Is that normal?

Last edited by melissakd; 01-15-2016 at 01:08 PM.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

I never knew that the Splenda packets actually have carbs due to the filler in them until late last year when I started back on Atkins/Keto. It's likely negligible in small amounts, but I would think that's why it stalls some people if you are consuming a LOT of packets per day. I mean, prior to that I was drinking a lot of unsweetened ice tea and every glass I'd put two packets in, not to mention my morning cup of java. It adds up. Research led me to liquid sucralose which has no fillers and is supposed to not cause blood sugar spikes. Unfortunately I can only find it on Amazon.

I also have found monk fruit and erythritol to be decent, also can only find on Amazon, but hey I live in a very rural part of Florida LOL.

Edit to add: Stevia's aftertaste wigs me out LOL. I'm weird though, so don't go by my experience.

Last edited by FickleHearts; 01-19-2016 at 09:11 AM.
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote