Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #16  
jessie
Thread Starter
 
jessiegreene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 744

S/C/G: 274.6 / see ticker / 190

Height: 5'7"

Default

Great thanks for asking, I was part of a very successful 2002 group and they swear by not counting calories at all... Just stick to the plan and let it play out, a true stall is more than 30 days with no weight loss give it time your body is adjusting.... Keeping it short as I am out of town watching my youngest graduate college
jessiegreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #17  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegreene View Post
Great thanks for asking, I was part of a very successful 2002 group and they swear by not counting calories at all... Just stick to the plan and let it play out, a true stall is more than 30 days with no weight loss give it time your body is adjusting.... Keeping it short as I am out of town watching my youngest graduate college
jessiegreene After re-reading the 2002 book I am going to follow your advice and pay less attention to calories.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #18  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default Induction

After re-reading the 2002 Atkins book I have decided to stop counting calories and only count Carbs, Fats, and Protein. Today is the closest I have came to my daily goals. I have not gone over since starting Atkins but I am usually too far under especially in the fats which along with low carbs and medium protein are the key to this diet.

Total: 11 Carbs, 135 Fat, 110 Protein

Goal: 23 Carbs, 140 Fat, 113 Protein
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 AM   #19  
jessie
Thread Starter
 
jessiegreene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 744

S/C/G: 274.6 / see ticker / 190

Height: 5'7"

Default

Things that helped me the most, water 1/2 body weight in oz, nothing added just water.... Fat fat fat, you can not eat to much fat and the more you eat the more you burn.... Learn the difference between hunger and "mindless eating"... Fat cuts cravings, when you get a sugar craving if you can eat bacon, avocado, butter, mayo it usually goes away..... Don't be afraid of salt.... Always eat your allowed carbs (veggies) if you don't want a stall.... Avoid "Atkins" products and don't be fooled by "induction friendly" labels, if it's not on the list DONT EAT IT... And most of all refer to the book it has all the answers..... You can do his guys I look forward to Succeeding together!!!

Last edited by jessiegreene; 05-11-2015 at 04:01 AM.
jessiegreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #20  
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 3,060

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegreene View Post
Great thanks for asking, I was part of a very successful 2002 group and they swear by not counting calories at all... Just stick to the plan and let it play out, a true stall is more than 30 days with no weight loss give it time your body is adjusting.... Keeping it short as I am out of town watching my youngest graduate college
I am a former admin of the group Jessie is speaking of. I recently celebrated 11 years on Atkins last month. Lost 100 lbs. in a little over a year and have maintained the loss ever since. I have NEVER counted calories, only carbs. I have pretty much stuck to what is on the Induction Foods List with a few additions since being in Maintenance.
You CAN do this!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #21  
Heading Downtown...
 
TripSwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,394

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default

Carbs contain calories... So counting carbs is a form of counting calories... maybe not all calories... But other than calories you maybe taking in from alcohol... the other source of calories in our diets besides carbs, fat, and protein by counting carbs you are in effect counting approximately 1/3 of where your calories could be coming from, depending of course on how much alcohol you are drinking...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #22  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegreene View Post
Things that helped me the most, water 1/2 body weight in oz, nothing added just water.... Fat fat fat, you can not eat to much fat and the more you eat the more you burn.... Learn the difference between hunger and "mindless eating"... Fat cuts cravings, when you get a sugar craving if you can eat bacon, avocado, butter, mayo it usually goes away..... Don't be afraid of salt.... Always eat your allowed carbs (veggies) if you don't want a stall.... Avoid "Atkins" products and don't be fooled by "induction friendly" labels, if it's not on the list DONT EAT IT... And most of all refer to the book it has all the answers..... You can do his guys I look forward to Succeeding together!!!
jessegreen Thank you for the suggestions. I will try for 1/2 body weight in water but 144oz seems like a lot. I have increased my fat goal. I find that I need to be creative and look for ways to add fat to my menu. It is hard to reach goal in that area but I am making great strides. Since starting Induction I have had Zero cravings and Zero hunger. I have to make myself eat because the book says to go no longer than 6 awake hours without eating. My carb intake has been way too low. Need to increase allowed veggies. I eat zero processed foods including Atkins products and I have stuck 100% by the Induction food list. I started induction on 4/21 and I have been on induction for 20 days now. This is my daily carb counts. These are gross carbs I have not subtracted any fiber from the numbers.

4/21 12
4/22 19
4/23 15
4/24 8
4/25 7
4/26 14
4/27 15
4/28 16
4/29 13
4/30 21
5/1 8
5/2 12
5/3 16
5/4 7
5/5 19
5/6 13
5/7 14
5/8 9
5/9 11
5/10 11
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #23  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I am a former admin of the group Jessie is speaking of. I recently celebrated 11 years on Atkins last month. Lost 100 lbs. in a little over a year and have maintained the loss ever since. I have NEVER counted calories, only carbs. I have pretty much stuck to what is on the Induction Foods List with a few additions since being in Maintenance.
You CAN do this!!!
JersyGyrl Thank You for the encouragement. 100 lb loss maintained for 11 years gives me a lot of hope


Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Carbs contain calories... So counting carbs is a form of counting calories... maybe not all calories... But other than calories you maybe taking in from alcohol... the other source of calories in our diets besides carbs, fat, and protein by counting carbs you are in effect counting approximately 1/3 of where your calories could be coming from, depending of course on how much alcohol you are drinking...
TripSwitch I drink zero alcohol, I quit drinking alcohol 38 years ago. Since being on induction I drink mainly water. Sometimes 2 cups of decaf black unsweetened coffee, on rare ocasion unsweetened iced tea and almost everyday 2 cups of carb free and sugar free chicken boulion.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #24  
Heading Downtown...
 
TripSwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,394

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
JersyGyrl Thank You for the encouragement. 100 lb loss maintained for 11 years gives me a lot of hope




TripSwitch I drink zero alcohol, I quit drinking alcohol 38 years ago. Since being on induction I drink mainly water. Sometimes 2 cups of decaf black unsweetened coffee, on rare ocasion unsweetened iced tea and almost everyday 2 cups of carb free and sugar free chicken boulion.
I quit drinking too... Those calories REALLY add up!!! Not to mention knocking you out of ketosis which is a no-no when doing Atkins...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #25  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default Induction Day 21

Monday was pretty good day I have been having terrific Carb control.

Monday Total: 5g Carbs, 106g Fat, 139g Protein

My Goal was: 18g Carbs, 93g Fat, 123g Protein

After re-reading the 2002 Atkins book I realize I am eating too much Protein which the body can convert to glucose and take me out of ketosis.

So my new goals starting today are: 18g Carbs, 109g Fat and 88g Protein. This is just a little fine tuning to keep me in ketosis..
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #26  
Senior Member
 
babygrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: bc, canada
Posts: 1,105

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default

Has anyone found an app that tracks only carbs, fat and protein without calories?
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #27  
Junior Member
 
juliemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15

S/C/G: 242/222/160

Height: 5'10"

Default

Hi everyone! I switched from Ideal Protein to Atkins a few weeks ago and am so much happier! The restrictions, the expense and having to answer weekly to a counselor with absolutely no knowledge of nutrition just about put me over the edge. Atkins seems like cheating now! The weight is still coming off, just a bit slower.

Question for someone in the know, why should Atkins bars and shakes be avoided in induction? I've had a few (not daily) but maybe should give them up for awhile.
juliemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #28  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default Induction Day 23

Another day on plan, this makes 23 days in a row on plan.

5/13/2015 - 9g Carbs, 109G Fat, 50g Protein

Goal: 18g Carbs, 109g Fat and 88g Protein
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #29  
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 3,060

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemp View Post
Question for someone in the know, why should Atkins bars and shakes be avoided in induction? I've had a few (not daily) but maybe should give them up for awhile.
This is a great article anyone doing Atkins should read.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/43067236.php


JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #30  
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 1,614

S/C/G: 310/252/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Down 2 pounds today!! :

That makes 17 pounds in 23 days

Just picked up Ketone test strips and tested for the first time. They show I have a moderate ketone level which means I am following the Atkins low carb plan correctly.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Terms of UsePrivacyAdvertiseContact Us3FC HomeModArchivePrivacy StatementTop

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.