Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1  

Thumbs down So.... I cheated today, girls. Where do I go from here?

Day five on the Atkins diet and cheated - how much extra weight should I expect to put on this week?

I've stuck right to the diet since day one. I've been eating only meat, leafy greens, cheeses and zero carb yogurt. This morning I woke up with the "atkins headache." It was very painful but in a way I felt accomplished because it meant my body was recognizing the lack of carbs.

Today I went to my grandmothers and she made chili for dinner. Her chili when I'm there (since I'm picky) consists of only tomatoes, mushrooms, ground beef, onions, a can of dark red kidney beans and a can of regular baked beans. Originally the plan was to eat the chili, but pick out the beans. Well... I it my plate and noticed there were only about 10 kidney beans on it, and the baked beans were very few as well. My grandma made sure the ratio from meat and tomatoes to beans was wide, so she used about a pound and a half of beef making up most of the chili. I ate the beans with my meal. And then, I had another couple of spoon fulls after finishing my first plate and got a severe grumbling in my stomach. They say you cant digest things right after you eat them but I think that's a hoax because for the past three days I've been constipated, and after eating the chili I experienced the exact opposite. (I know, it's gross, but lets be mature)

Anyway, how much weight will I gain approximately?
What's the best way to go about this? Do I just continue with the induction phase tomorrow and stick right to the diet like I was before tonight or do I water fast for a few days to clean out the salt and glutcose in my system? I just don't know if a plate of my grandmother's chili, as delicious as it is, was worth gaining all my weight back. I have 120 pounds I'd like to lose.

Last edited by monacrimosa; 07-19-2013 at 08:09 PM.
monacrimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If you don't mind me asking, did you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 or prior) before you started to do Atkins? My reason for asking is because you mentioned you were only eating meat, leafy greens, cheeses and "zero carb yogurt". Induction is 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. "Zero carb yogurt" is not permitted on Induction. I am actually very interested in this yogurt since I have never seen 0 carb yogurt.
My suggestion to you would be to not worry about having ate the chili and to read the book and then begin Induction correctly.
I hope this helps
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
If you don't mind me asking, did you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 or prior) before you started to do Atkins? My reason for asking is because you mentioned you were only eating meat, leafy greens, cheeses and "zero carb yogurt". Induction is 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. "Zero carb yogurt" is not permitted on Induction. I am actually very interested in this yogurt since I have never seen 0 carb yogurt.
My suggestion to you would be to not worry about having ate the chili and to read the book and then begin Induction correctly.
I hope this helps
All the best to you!!
I have the book at home but I've yet to read it. It's my mother's. I'm sixteen years old (Seventeen in Janurary) I know in induction you're supposed to eat a lot more net carbs than I've been eating but I'm very desperate to lose weight after trying so many diets and so I'd like to make sure it works. I'm 5'8 and 240 pounds. I'd like to be down half my weight by next fall. Unlike most diets, I'm not starving myself on the atkins diet and don't feel hungry. That's what I like about it. Well, that and the fact that I LOVE meat.

So this yogurt I've been eating.. I forget the exact name brand and I can't check as I'm still at my grandmothers, but it's vanilla and it tastes pretty much like nothing. I just remember reading the nutrition fact and it saying 0,0,0,0,0 for everything except the vitamins so I thought I hit the jack pot.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacrimosa View Post
I have the book at home but I've yet to read it. It's my mother's. I'm sixteen years old (Seventeen in Janurary) I know in induction you're supposed to eat a lot more net carbs than I've been eating but I'm very desperate to lose weight after trying so many diets and so I'd like to make sure it works. I'm 5'8 and 240 pounds. I'd like to be down half my weight by next fall. Unlike most diets, I'm not starving myself on the atkins diet and don't feel hungry. That's what I like about it. Well, that and the fact that I LOVE meat.

So this yogurt I've been eating.. I forget the exact name brand and I can't check as I'm still at my grandmothers, but it's vanilla and it tastes pretty much like nothing. I just remember reading the nutrition fact and it saying 0,0,0,0,0 for everything except the vitamins so I thought I hit the jack pot.
I think its great you've made the decision to lose weight I know its not easy, especially when you're 16. I do understand. I was 44 years old when I began Atkins, 5'3" and 245 lbs, I KNEW I had to do something so, I can relate to you being desperate to lose the weight. I felt pretty much the same way. Most people think cutting way back on their eating will help them lose weight quickly when in reality, you need to eat to lose weight....BUT....you need to be eating the right foods. You also need to realize if you not only want the weight to come off but, to STAY off, you must make this a total lifestyle change, which means you need to develop eating habits you can live with for the rest of your life. Believe me, if you lose the weight quickly and you go back to your old habits, it won't be long before all the weight you lost plus more will come right back. So if you want to make sure this works, it is important to do this correctly. I'm happy to hear you have the book That is the first step. Its important to do Induction exactly as it is written in the book. Think of Induction as the beginning of your new life. If you do it correctly, it will treat you well

As good as that yogurt sounds, be very leery of anything that claims to have 0 carbs. There are lots of "low carb" things out there that really aren't the wonderful things they claim to be. Reading labels and ingredients is very important. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

If you have any questions or concerns about Atkins, please feel free to PM me anytime and I will be happy to help you as best as I can

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #5  

Since milk has natural sugar in the form of lactose, there is no such thing as a carb free yogurt. Atkins works when you do it correctly. Cutting carbs to only leafy greens means you aren't getting enough nutrients and fiber. Please read the book. You could also go to www.Atkins.com and take a look at their Getting Started tab and also the 2 weeks of induction menus. That would be a good help for you in doing this. Also, your goal isn't very doeable. Do you mean when Fall starts in September? 2 months maybe 25 pounds tops. And you need to get in the exercise with that. Good luck. Keep posting.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Since milk has natural sugar in the form of lactose, there is no such thing as a carb free yogurt. Atkins works when you do it correctly. Cutting carbs to only leafy greens means you aren't getting enough nutrients and fiber. Please read the book. You could also go to www.Atkins.com and take a look at their Getting Started tab and also the 2 weeks of induction menus. That would be a good help for you in doing this. Also, your goal isn't very doeable. Do you mean when Fall starts in September? 2 months maybe 25 pounds tops. And you need to get in the exercise with that. Good luck. Keep posting.
I agree with everything said here....just be careful with Atkins.com Since Dr. Atkins death in 2003, Atkins Nutritionals Inc. has been pushing the shakes, bars and now, their new frozen meals. Sadly, although they will tell you those products are "appropriate for Induction".....they are not. They tell you on the website you can have up to 2 Atkins shakes or bars a day on Induction.....stay far away from those things, they contain ingredients that are not on the acceptable foods list for Induction. You may want to read this article as it explains those products very well.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
Stick with the older books Dr. Atkins himself wrote. Those outline the correct way to do Atkins
Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #7  

In five days I've lost six and a half pounds.
My mom did atkins about five years ago and lost over 70 pounds in five months. They say the more weight you have to lose, the quicker you shed the pounds. And I can't believe what my scales are telling me either. But I'm not complaining. I'd like to get more carbs from vegetables but I'm by no means the kind of person who can just sit and eat raw vegetables as a snack, or the kind of person who has the time to prepare them in delicious dishes. As much as I'd like to I have a job now and school will be starting soon. I've been on the website countless times and read all of that stuff. I'm still seeing pretty good results not over-gorging on vegetables. I usually only tend to eat one meal a day, which is supper. Poultry, beef, fish, or pork with a leafy green salad and light dressing. I have a few snacks throughout the day, perhaps a small bowl of yogurt (not anymore I guess) or a piece of lunch ham, and I don't feel hungry at all. So I'm not starving myself with one meal. I also drink TONS. Water water water. LOTS of water. Carbonated water, diet sodas, occasionally coffee (although its pretty hot in Canada right now LOL) and green tea. I cut out the artificial fruit juices which was very hard because oddly enough, along with the potato chips and the other starches my favorite thing to drink with them was extra pulp Orange juice.

I'm pretty positive that on a LOW carb diet, taking in LESS carbs than what's recommended won't negatively affect the diet. In fact, I'm proof it doesn't. I take a multivitamin every day as well as an omega-3 supplement in fish oil tablets.

Jersey girl, I recognize that the odds of gaining all of the weight back after I'm satisfied is VERY likely. Which is why I never ever plan to go back into my old habits again. I've eaten unhealthy all my life, and I've been "trying" to lose weight since I was about eleven or twelve but did things the half-assed way, didn't see results and gave up. I tried the cabbage soup, the grapefruit, weightwatchers and more. I know it's time to make a change. And thus far, the atkins has been beautiful.

Anyway... All of that being said, I suppose I'm now a little discouraged as to consuming dairy. Sometimes I have a glass of milk with dinner to helpr fill me up, or I'll nibble on a piece of cheese sometime throughout the day. Should I not do that? I've been on the website and it says I can, and gives the proper amount but everybody keeps telling me different things. It seems as though everybody has their own version of the diet..

Last edited by monacrimosa; 07-20-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
In five days I've lost six and a half pounds.
My mom did atkins about five years ago and lost over 70 pounds in five months. They say the more weight you have to lose, the quicker you shed the pounds. And I can't believe what my scales are telling me either. But I'm not complaining. I'd like to get more carbs from vegetables but I'm by no means the kind of person who can just sit and eat raw vegetables as a snack, or the kind of person who has the time to prepare them in delicious dishes. As much as I'd like to I have a job now and school will be starting soon. I've been on the website countless times and read all of that stuff. I'm still seeing pretty good results not over-gorging on vegetables. I usually only tend to eat one meal a day, which is supper. Poultry, beef, fish, or pork with a leafy green salad and light dressing. I have a few snacks throughout the day, perhaps a small bowl of yogurt (not anymore I guess) or a piece of lunch ham, and I don't feel hungry at all. So I'm not starving myself with one meal. I also drink TONS. Water water water. LOTS of water. Carbonated water, diet sodas, occasionally coffee (although its pretty hot in Canada right now LOL) and green tea. I cut out the artificial fruit juices which was very hard because oddly enough, along with the potato chips and the other starches my favorite thing to drink with them was extra pulp Orange juice.

I'm pretty positive that on a LOW carb diet, taking in LESS carbs than what's recommended won't negatively affect the diet. In fact, I'm proof it doesn't. I take a multivitamin every day as well as an omega-3 supplement in fish oil tablets.

Jersey girl, I recognize that the odds of gaining all of the weight back after I'm satisfied is VERY likely. Which is why I never ever plan to go back into my old habits again. I've eaten unhealthy all my life, and I've been "trying" to lose weight since I was about eleven or twelve but did things the half-assed way, didn't see results and gave up. I tried the cabbage soup, the grapefruit, weightwatchers and more. I know it's time to make a change. And thus far, the atkins has been beautiful.

Anyway... All of that being said, I suppose I'm now a little discouraged as to consuming dairy. Sometimes I have a glass of milk with dinner to helpr fill me up, or I'll nibble on a piece of cheese sometime throughout the day. Should I not do that? I've been on the website and it says I can, and gives the proper amount but everybody keeps telling me different things. It seems as though everybody has their own version of the diet..
During Induction, cheese is permitted....but....it is limited to certain types and only 3-4 ozs per day. However, drinking milk is not permitted.
As for everyone having their own version of the diet, perhaps you are correct about that. Most people have a lot of misconceptions about Atkins and think it is the all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet. That would be totally incorrect. That is why it is so very important to read the book before attempting to do this. Understanding how & why this works when its done correctly is essential.
I personally do not have my own version of Atkins. I've been doing Atkins for 9+ years now and from day 1 have done it the way Dr. Atkins wrote it. Doing so has allowed me to lose over 100 lbs and keep it off all these years.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm simply trying to help you do Atkins and do it correctly. If what you are doing is working for you, that is great and I wish you much success
All the best to you!!l
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
During Induction, cheese is permitted....but....it is limited to certain types and only 3-4 ozs per day. However, drinking milk is not permitted.
As for everyone having their own version of the diet, perhaps you are correct about that. Most people have a lot of misconceptions about Atkins and think it is the all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet. That would be totally incorrect. That is why it is so very important to read the book before attempting to do this. Understanding how & why this works when its done correctly is essential.
I personally do not have my own version of Atkins. I've been doing Atkins for 9+ years now and from day 1 have done it the way Dr. Atkins wrote it. Doing so has allowed me to lose over 100 lbs and keep it off all these years.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm simply trying to help you do Atkins and do it correctly. If what you are doing is working for you, that is great and I wish you much success
All the best to you!!l
Oh, I know. You're a sweetheart helping me out. If you don't mind me asking, what were your results like say.. A month or so in? Did you do the induction for the full fourteen days or just a week?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Oh, I know. You're a sweetheart helping me out. If you don't mind me asking, what were your results like say.. A month or so in? Did you do the induction for the full fourteen days or just a week?
I'm very happy to help you out
I did Induction for close to a year and to this day, I keep my carbs low. I started out at 245 lbs and in the first 2 months, I lost 25 lbs. I will tell you, initially the weight comes off fairly quick, then it slows down. It took me slightly over a year to lose 100 lbs.
That being said, I ate only the foods on the acceptable foods list and did not eat anything that was not on that list. I didn't overdo exercise, I did a lot of walking and Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds dvd's.
For me, the key was eating salads & green veggies and drinking lots of water. Water was all I pretty much drank, no diet sodas etc. I did drink unsweetened iced tea on occasion but, mainly stuck with water. Still do.
Hope that helps
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #11  
Maxie

S/C/G: 123.6

Height: 165

Hi Jerseygyrl
I just want to know if you use cream and coffee as I have been on atkins for 3 weeks the first 2 weeks I lost 4 kilo's and the third week I added exercise and I put on 1.9 kilos. could you give me a sample of what you eat.
Thanks so much.
Maxie
Maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Hi Jerseygyrl
I just want to know if you use cream and coffee as I have been on atkins for 3 weeks the first 2 weeks I lost 4 kilo's and the third week I added exercise and I put on 1.9 kilos. could you give me a sample of what you eat.
Thanks so much.
Maxie
Hi Maxie
I don't usually drink coffee since Dr. Atkins said it can cause blood sugar spikes in some people which can trigger cravings. If I do have coffee ( or tea ), its decaf and I do put a splash of heavy cream in it.
You say you gained weight when you added exercise. Exercise builds muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.
A typical day's menu for me basically looks like this:
Breakfast: Eggs ( cooked in butter and usually topped with cheddar cheese ), 3 slices bacon, plain greek yogurt ( keep in mind, yogurt is not for Induction )
Lunch: A big salad with added veggies ( usually cold cooked green beans or broccoli, sliced raw zucchini, cucumber, a few grape tomatoes ), a sprinkle of shredded cheese, topped with tuna or egg salad ( made with full fat mayo ), or grilled chicken or steak, 2 Tbsps full fat ranch dressing
Dinner: Chicken, Beef, Pork or Fish, a green veggie ( green beans, broccoli, spinach, zucchini or brussel sprouts with butter ), a small salad with full fat dressing
Snack: Usually hard boiled egg, string cheese, a few grape tomatoes
Lots of water
I hope this helps
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-21-2013 at 08:28 AM.