Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

Default Need some motivation big time!

Hello Atkins chicks!
I am in desparate need of some motivation! I fell off the Atkins wagon 3 days ago-and went crazy with carbs! I am doing better today plan wise but I am feeling like giving up and trying something new. I gained about 6 lbs in 3days, I am panicking really bad, I am hormonal (should get my period any second now), bloated, and just plan miserable. I am not disappointed that I cheated, that's fine, but I am disappointed that 3 off plan days resulted in 6lb gain. I have been on Atkins for 2 months now and "lost" 14 lbs and now gained back 6.
Is this what happens on Atkins when I go back to high carb foods? Can I really call this real weight loss or it is just water loss? When I was on weight watchers I fell of the wagon too but I would gain a pound or two not 6!

Help! Encourage me! I am so ready to give up! I love how I feel when I follow Atkins but today it seems like whatever I have lost, it's not 'real' weight loss but water weight
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

You're right 6 lbs in 3 days is "water" weight... Atkins works because of calorie restriction... But whether or not it's right for you.... Well only you can decide that....
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Who cares if it was water weight??? Still made you feel good, the clothes fit better.

You need to do something that is good for you. High carbs are not good regarless! Even hard core vegans get all bloated and that's just not a good feeling!! Find your balance and make it happen.

Weight loss is hard work, and unfortunally most of us will have to work hard at it for the rest of our lives!

We can only blame Eve! She shouldn't have had that apple, maybe if she went for some low carb raspberries we will all be perfect today! (yes, that's a joke )
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Summer! It is an unfortunate reality with low carb that when you cheat, you see an immediate jump in the scale. On my last long term successful round with Atkins, after any cheat (no matter how big or small), I seemed to average an immediate 5lb weight gain plus 2 full weeks to get my body back on track. The weight gain was temporary and I was able to successfully move the scale down again in time.

It's easier to mentally ride those setbacks when you're 40 lbs. down than when you're only 10 or 15 down.

And that's also why the plan tries to ease you into maintenance with ever increasing carbs until you find your maintenance threshold.

That's the thing I'm trying to change this round. I typically stay on strict induction until I've lost 40-50 lbs and then decide I can handle carbs again and go back to an older way of eating.

I'm really trying to follow the longer term plan now and learn my body's threshold is for still losing. Even just 2 weeks out of induction, I've occasionally allowed myself 30 or 35 carbs on a couple of special occasions and have remained in ketosis. That's a HUGE discovery for me! My weight loss may never reach the 5 lbs a week again, but I feel like I'm finally learning to follow the plan on a way I could live with long term.

Long story short, I encourage you not to give up yet - like all diets, it's truly a change of life, and we have all had and will continue to have set backs, but we need to just hop back on the plan and keep going.

I also find it a good lesson learned and motivator that a big cheat shows a big consequence. The punishment fits the crime and keeps me motivated not to cheat as often and only when it's a really special occasion.

Any which way, you can do this! People get lured into Atkins because of the short term quick weight loss, but in the end, it seems to always average out to about 2 lbs a week - which is a healthy, long term way to lose weight no matter what plan you follow. You're still lighter than when you started and just keep that going!!
davematthewsband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I am still working on getting back on Atkins. Usually the mornings start off great but it is after work in the evenings that I struggle a lot.
I am at 194.4 now-eating higher carbs for the past 4-5 days. I am being patient and reasonsable with myself but bottom line the clothes are starting to feel a little snug, the cravings are back etc.
I need to re-start induction to go back to my energy levels.
Thanks again for your support and motivation, everyone.
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote