Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #1  
I'm a loser, yay!

S/C/G: 220/220/140

Height: 5'2"

Question Accuracy of digital vs mechanical scales

I have a digital scale I have been using for about 7 years now and when I check my weight I usually don't do it just once, I do it a couple of times because the scale often changes. For example, the first weight will be say 202 and then when I get on again it says 200 or 203 or some variation. It's very hard to know what I have lost this way.

I went to a home store and tried out a digital scale there and same thing. It said 204 or 203 then changed by a pound each time.

Finally I tried a mechanical scale (the old fashioned one with the wheel!) and it told me I was 199 lbs and I stepped on it like 4 or 5 times and got pretty much the same result each time.

So my question is, which type of scale is the most accurate and trustworthy? Is there a specific brand you can recommend? Also, which weight should I go with? The 202 or 199? And should I get a mechanical scale over a digital?
everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #2  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't know which one is more trustworthy, I have a digital scale that I weigh on daily, and my mom has a mechanical scale, so when I go to her house I like to strip down to my undies and weigh myself there, and it's always 5lb less than the one at home.

I like that surprise and it makes me feel good about myself, but I stick to the weight on the digital scale, and when I reach my goal on my digital scale, I'll weigh myself on the mechanical one just for sh!ts and giggles
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think the digital scale is more accurate and much easier to read. I was puzzled why it gave two different amounts and I got out the directions and it said, it has memory and will always show the last weight that you weighed at stay on the scale, in a second or two it will go to the new weight. I have a Taylor. Also bear in mind that probably no two scales will weigh exactly the same. Pick one to use for recording your weight and always go by that one and at the same time of day,etc.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/156/135

Height: 5'2"

I have digital too, I find sometimes if I am off balance it doesn't give an accurate read, I step on again and distribute my weight evenly...usually if I do it seems accurate and if I test it again it will be the same.
gapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I just bought a digital 'Weight Watchers" scale by Conair. I like Conair's hair straighteners, and the price of the scale was right in the middle, so I went for it. My mechanical scale must have took a beating or something, because it was always off. I think the disc was actually crooked.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote