Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #1  

Default What do you do about the sugar cravings??

I try to eat walnuts, nuts, peanuts during Atkins but it does not help me lose weight at all. It stalls me

I feel that this may be the reason why the weight is not coming off this time around. I remember doing Atkins a few years ago and lost like 20lbs in one month--I was very determined back then, don't know what's going on with me now. I think I used to snack on peanuts but can't really remember.

When I am on Atkins, after 5- 7pm I get these crazy out of control cravings-- sometimes I'll eat more meat to satisfy them other times it doesn't work because I want something sweet. I get them so bad that I will get dressed around 10pm at night and drive to a 24 hour mini mart just to buy some low carb candy but the candy does nothing for weight loss it only stalls me

Does anyone know any safe snacks to eat while on Atkins? Most of the Atkin's snacks do not help me lose weight at all even though they satisfy that sweet tooth I have. I really want to lose weight and do good if it weren't for those intense sugar cravings
Bout2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #2  
Lazy Daisy

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7.5"

Don't know much about the Atkins diet but I struggle with sugar addiction and I find eating fruit like blueberries helps. I have to keep away from sugar altogether, one taste and I am hooked again.
lazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Induction is supposed to break sugar cravings. Have you been on induction for 2 weeks? Stay on a clean induction with no sugar-free or low carb treats and the cravings should subside. Once you think you can handle it, you can start adding in things like Crystal Light, sugar-free flavoring syrups (like DaVinci's) and low-carb candy. Don't add too much at once so you can see what stalls you, and don't eat it in heavy amounts. That's all I can really tell you. Good luck, and I know cravings can be awful!
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If you're doing Atkins Induction, walnuts & peanuts are no-no's as would be any type of fruit. The main purpose of Induction is to rid your body of sugar cravings. Replacing sugar with so-called "sugar-free" items is basically just substituting one evil for another. Those "sugar-free" items often contain artificial sweeteners which can trigger cravings. Its best to stick with real foods.
You may want to check out this website for Atkins acceptable recipes. The ones marked with an * are Induction friendly.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
All the best to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 12-30-2010 at 06:32 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

JerseyGyrl is, of course, absolutely right. Anything "sugar-free" is sweetened with something...and that something may not be good for us.

I also read some research (can't remember where now) that said in many people our bodies read the "sweet taste" as sugar - regardless of where the taste comes from, real or artificial - and our blood sugar reacts as if we are eating real sugar - blood sugar spikes, insulin reaction...and we stall or even gain. That's so not fair!

I lose best when I eat real, unprocessed fresh vegetables, meat, poultry and stay away from artifical sweeteners entirely. It's still not a way of eating I find easy or convenient; it's one of my goals, though.

And Linsy has great advice. Go without sugar or artificial sweeteners for a week or two...the desire for sweets will subside and you won't experience the compulsion (because sugar is an addiction for sure) to get out of bed and find that sweet taste. I really enjoy Atkins desserts, but eating something sweet-tasting is a choice now, not a compulsion. Good luck!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #6  

Sugar free jello is a no-no too?

I know in his book he said it was fine. The first time around that's mostly what I ate to satisfy those sugar cravings and I did pretty good with weight loss

Last edited by Bout2Lose; 12-31-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Bout2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bout2Lose View Post
Sugar free jello is a no-no too?

I know in his book he said it was fine. The first time around that's mostly what I ate to satisfy those sugar cravings and I did pretty good with weight loss
If it contains aspartame, its a no-no. You can make your own using Splenda
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/no_carb_jello.html

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote