Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #1  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

Default Atkins and children

People have been saying to me about my doing Atkins "it must be so hard to stick to when you've got a 7 year old to feed too" and "so what do you feed him if your eating that?". I just wanted to share my experience in starting atkins as a mum of one and hear from others how they are getting on.

I have to say, my response to those people has always been "not hard at all, it's better, and he eats the same and loves it." I've always strived to cook my son health meals from fresh ingredients. Now, I hardly have my son on atkins,(he's VERY active, thin and lean - I'd like to fatten him up if anything ) - but I do have him eating the same meals as me! All I do is stick some spuds/rice/pasta in a pan and add them to his meal and voila..

My son absolutely loves the meals i've been cooking him lately! He's always been a very good eater but in the past he hasn't been eating as much meat as I would like him to. He'd always eat the veg first, startchy stuff second, and a couple bits of meat last. I'm not sure if it's the way i've been preparing his meals lately, or maybe the fact that he see's me eating more meat, but my son has finally started eating decent size portions. It's great!

Because we both eat the same meals (save his extra carbs) I have less opportunity to cave, eat his leftovers, or pick at his food while im cooking! To be honest, this hasn't been much of a problem from the very start (i was very determined) but now that im in my second week of induction it's absolutely no problem at all! I can see how some people could really struggle with cooking carbs for others, especially in the first week or so. I do believe however that with a bit of perseverence anyone can get past that stage!

As regards treats for my son, I haven't been tempted so far to have some. When i'm topping up on treats for him I intend to buy things that would be favourites of his, but not so much of mine - just incase

How have other people fared when starting atkins with children (or even partners) in tow? I hope by sharing my positive experience so far, other people with children might not be so worried when considering atkins for themselves. Everyone will have very different dynamics in their own home, but at least for me, atkins has been a welcome addition to my home!

Last edited by imstuffed; 05-19-2010 at 04:58 AM.
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

I don't have kids but I do know that feeding kids a healthy diet, low in processed carbs is a good thing. I think that starting them out in life knowing that there are certain foods, like processed carbs, sugary treats etc, that can lead to a lifetime of frustration and health issues is a good thing. I often wonder if there had been less pototoes and rice and chips and bread on our table it my lifelong struggle with weight would have been circumvented (all 4 girls have weight issues as did my mom)

When I am cooking for others, and I have lots of guests, I tend to do low-carb that they don't even recognize as such. I will do things like thai lettuce cups, main dish salads, fritattas ... all things that I can have on Atkins and that are a normal meal.

I am determined to make this a lifestyle, not a diet.

Good on you for incorporating it into a lifestyle and not a diet.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #3  
Carbs are evil

Thanks Shells, and good on you too

I never struggled with my weight until about 5 years ago. I moved out on my own with my son and my new life didn't include the excessive walking that I used to do on a daily basis. Also because I was home a lot and bored I started to (comfort) eat lots and my weight just went up and up. I went from a size 8 to a size 14/16 over that time. I have tried to lose weight lots of times since but everytime I tried I ended up binging after a few days. That has had a lot of impact on my weight too.

Now that my head is in the right place and I have committed to this way of eating I feel so much better and the weight is starting to come off. I feel lucky that I managed to sort myself out before I got even bigger. I think the moral of the story for me is that my weight gain is a result of the way I lived. My weight loss will be a result of my new way of life that sounds way cheesy doesnt it hehe
Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

When I cook for others and I'm doing atkins I do exactly what u suggested I do my meat/fish with my greens and do up rice/pasta/spuds etc to add to theirs.

As for desert I stick to my jelly(o) and double cream. I give them apple pie and cream etc
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #5  
Carbs are evil

I tried jelly and cream yesterday and on my... mmmmmmm i may have found a new favourite desert!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

It is great hartly's jelly is something like 0.5g per 1/4 made up with doubly cream add a few more and if I'm feeling like a propper treat I get those bars of 86% coca chocolate (lindt etc) Break off 1 or 2 squares break them up into the bowl or even better grate them and mix with the cream!

86% coca is best as it has least carbs cote d'or has 1.9g per square.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #7  
Carbs are evil

sounds amazing! I could just eaet 3 meals of that a day haha