Old 04-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #1  
angelmom313

Exclamation Best and fastest way to get through induction--tips please

I did one entire meal on Atkins yesterday, breakfast! I was so craving sugar by lunch and was entirely too hungry. I did Atkins years ago and don't remember induction being that hard. What is the easiest and fastest way to "detox" your body from carbs. Please help. I really want to do this the right way this time.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/203/130

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up It's taken me over a week ...

Hi,
It's taken me over a week to get rid of my cravings, UGH! I find that snacking between meals helps ALOT. With all my snacking, I still lost 5 lbs. my first week. Yesterday I had a hard time though. I wanted to drive to Publix and get a slice of carrot cake, but decided against it. Thank heaven. Today I went and got a diet Dr Pepper. It help me get rid of my sugar craving. Just a small tip just in case you like Dr Pepper.
Good Luck,
Clarissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom313 View Post
I did one entire meal on Atkins yesterday, breakfast! I was so craving sugar by lunch and was entirely too hungry. I did Atkins years ago and don't remember induction being that hard. What is the easiest and fastest way to "detox" your body from carbs. Please help. I really want to do this the right way this time.
1happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #3  
angelmom313

Thanks happy. Where are you at in Florida. I am in Polk County. I really think I am going to start again on Tuesday...reason being, my cupboard and fridge is not prepared for the lifestyle change. In other words, I don't have the Atkins friendly foods on hand that I need to get me through. I am going to the store tomorrow and getting some roast beef and spreading cream cheese in the middle with a slice of pickle...that makes a great snack and lunch. I swear this carb addiction is just as hard as any other addiction--my body literally seems to be craving sweets since I am just "thinking" of starting back on. I need to change my thinking to say, "I'm doing this and so-be-it the first week of suffering!"
Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/203/130

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

Hey Angel,
I'm in Fort lauderdale. I think about 150 miles from you.
I just started a little over a week ago. I started by getting hamburger and making them into patties in advance and freezing them. I put one on the George Forman, they cook in about 4 minutes. I also do this with chicken. I keep shrimp scampi in the freezer. I use French's Fried onion rings for chicken coating and a small side of "crunchy". I also made a couple of days worth of bacon, and put that in the fridge. I did this all in advance so I would have something to grab at any time. I just go to the store to get fresh veggies now. Get yourself ready , start and stick to it. When you get weary, come here a find some inspiration. I find that reading other peoples success stories gets me to the next day.
Good luck,
Clarissa
1happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #5  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

My suggestions are to read the book (DANDR 2002) and for right now print out the acceptable foods list for Induction and just eat foods from that list. It is very hard to do Atkins correctly without learning about it.

Also very important esp. in the beginning is to log everything you put in your body on FitDay or Fatsecret. It is very hard to know if you are getting the proper amount of fats, protein and carbs by just winging it. These food trackers will also help you keep track of your net carbs each day.

The easiest and fastest way to detox your body is to do Atkins correctly. The first few days may be rough if your pre-Atkins diet was heavy on processed/packaged foods and carbs/sugars. Do a clean Induction and it is much easier from there. Really really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1happy1 View Post
I use French's Fried onion rings for chicken coating and a small side of "crunchy".
Ingredients
Palm Oil, Wheat Flour, Onions, Soy Flour, Salt, Dextrose, Tbhq and Citric Acid In Propylene Glycol to Protect Flavor.

Oh my...these are not acceptable for Induction. They possibly could be added in when you are close to Maintenance (OWL Rung 9 - grains). And the sugar is definitely a no go on Atkins. They really are a junk food though and not in line with the whole food approach of Atkins. Sorry to be a buzzkill.

Last edited by mizski; 04-11-2010 at 10:16 PM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/156/135

Height: 5'2

For me, I'm just doing meat and eggs on my "induction" I find that even the slightest bit of carbs excites my cravings.

WHEN YOU EAT CARBOHYDRATES (carbs), your body releases insulin into your blood stream. The insulin tells your cells what to do. It tells most cells to absorb the sugar out of the blood and tells your fat cells not to release any fat to burn (because there are carbs already in the blood to burn).

One of insulin's jobs is to take sugar out of the blood — the sooner the better, because sugar in the blood damages the body. The reason diabetics have such bad health problems (blindness, circulation problems, etc.) is because of the damage sugar does when the person can't make enough insulin.

When you eat something with a lot of sugar in it, the body kind of panics and usually overdoes it. Too much insulin is released to mop up the sugar. It takes all the sugar out of your blood. Then your blood sugar is too low, so you crave more sweets.

So insulin saved the day, keeping that sugar from damaging your body, but in the process, it makes your body store fat and prevents you from burning fat.
CarbsAreEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
My suggestions are to read the book (DANDR 2002) and for right now print out the acceptable foods list for Induction and just eat foods from that list. It is very hard to do Atkins correctly without learning about it.

Also very important esp. in the beginning is to log everything you put in your body on FitDay or Fatsecret. It is very hard to know if you are getting the proper amount of fats, protein and carbs by just winging it. These food trackers will also help you keep track of your net carbs each day.

The easiest and fastest way to detox your body is to do Atkins correctly. The first few days may be rough if your pre-Atkins diet was heavy on processed/packaged foods and carbs/sugars. Do a clean Induction and it is much easier from there. Really really!

Ingredients
Palm Oil, Wheat Flour, Onions, Soy Flour, Salt, Dextrose, Tbhq and Citric Acid In Propylene Glycol to Protect Flavor.

Oh my...these are not acceptable for Induction. They possibly could be added in when you are close to Maintenance (OWL Rung 9 - grains). And the sugar is definitely a no go on Atkins. They really are a junk food though and not in line with the whole food approach of Atkins. Sorry to be a buzzkill.
Mizski!!!
Dipping chicken or fish in some beaten egg & then grated parmesan seasoned with some garlic powder, italian seasoning and a little freshly ground black pepper and frying in butter is delicious!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-12-2010 at 06:23 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsAreEvil View Post
For me, I'm just doing meat and eggs on my "induction" I find that even the slightest bit of carbs excites my cravings.

WHEN YOU EAT CARBOHYDRATES (carbs), your body releases insulin into your blood stream. The insulin tells your cells what to do. It tells most cells to absorb the sugar out of the blood and tells your fat cells not to release any fat to burn (because there are carbs already in the blood to burn).

One of insulin's jobs is to take sugar out of the blood — the sooner the better, because sugar in the blood damages the body. The reason diabetics have such bad health problems (blindness, circulation problems, etc.) is because of the damage sugar does when the person can't make enough insulin.

When you eat something with a lot of sugar in it, the body kind of panics and usually overdoes it. Too much insulin is released to mop up the sugar. It takes all the sugar out of your blood. Then your blood sugar is too low, so you crave more sweets.

So insulin saved the day, keeping that sugar from damaging your body, but in the process, it makes your body store fat and prevents you from burning fat.
Congratulations on finding what is working for you
Since this was posted under the Atkins catagory, I just wanted to point out, Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #9  
angelmom313

Okay, I am going to the grocery store tonight and buy everything I need so I have no excuses....I am excited to start and scared at the same time. Prayers please! Thanks for everyone's tips.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #10  

Thanks for all the tips on induction. I have used Atkins before but it is always good to review the rules. My problem is being motivated to lose weight and to stick to the plan. I have several reasons to lose, but just not the motivation. However, I will do induction and stick with it. My feelings will change as I feel better and see some success. Thanks for the forum to connect with.
Elstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/260/140

Height: 5'0"

I actually found the first time I did Atkins, that keeping my mind busy helped a lot so I started knitting. Every time I would get a craving or my body would be "It's been an hour. Time for a snack." I'd pick up my needles. It really helped.
MidgieMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/243/160

Height: 5'3"

I find that indulging on food that is otherwise diet "taboo" to be the most satisfying. My favorite right now is Lettuce wrapped BLTs. OMG sooooo yummy. Whenever I get a craving, I stop and make myself cook something. I avoid the packages in the pantry at ALL costs. Right now I've been Atkins for a month and have gone down 17-20 lbs. The hard work IS worth the result. Decide to do it and you won't feel like you've wasted your time.

For me, that right there is the worst thing about "diets". All the time and work it takes and ZERO results.

Go for it!!
TheJennaLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #13  
angelmom313

Thanks everyone. One small screwup today but back on induction in the morning. I'm willing to try again. Although I have been sick for 2 days (not sure if it is the diet or a bug)...