Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 195/191/125

Height: 4'11

Possibly a silly question, but are South Beach and Sonoma really any different from Atkins? I admit I used to be one of the people who thought that Atkins was the "No Carb" diet. But since finding out that it's not the case and reading up on his actual diet, I'm sort of scratching my head in regards to the other two. Now it seems like Sonoma is just Atkins with a wine list? Is there really a difference, or did Agatson and Gutterson just try to figure out a way name things differently enough to avoid trademark infringement?
Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I had two coworkers who were diet-frienemies. One followed Atkins, and one followed South Beach, they were constantly bickering over which was the "best" plan, yet they were eating virtually identically.

Every diet writer wants to tradmemark their plan. It has to be unique enough to be published ("just do what this other book says," isn't going to get you a book deal).

I think most author's truly do believe they have a unique perspective, and something new and meaningful to say, but all that being said many are reinventing the wheel. Some are putting a new spin on it, or explaining the principles in new (not necessarily, but sometimes better) ways.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #18  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Great post Kim. I have been doing doing Atkins since July 26,2010. I've lost 23 lbs so far. I also count calories and watch the portion size. You explained the Atkins diet really well. I have read the book several times and refer back to it all the time. Good job!
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #19  

thanks for posting. i was concerned about my health even after reading the book. then again people can knock what they don't understand nor know enough about. thanks again
army2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Kim great job with your weight loss !!!! I appreciate your explanation also.
Danielle60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 234/225/180

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
There are so many people out there with the wrong idea's about Atkins, I just wanted to take the time to clarify the many misconceptions I've run across. I hope anyone considering Atkins or who knows someone who is considering Atkins, will read this. A little knowledge goes a long way

#1. "I Can Do Atkins Without Reading The Book First"
To ensure you are doing Atkins correctly, reading the book is critical. If you want to do Atkins, it is impairative you understand exactly how & exactly why this program works. I also highly recommend you read Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and The Protein Power Lifeplan by Dr's Michael & Mary Dan Eades.

#2. "Atkins = Unhealthy"
Most people believe Atkins is the all you can eat bacon, butter & red meat diet. NOT TRUE! To many people's surprise, the Atkins Lifestyle consists of lean protein, veggies & fruits, good fats and whole grains. Atkins discourages sugar, trans fats and processed high carbohydrate laden, unhealthy foods.

#3. "Atkins Is All Bacon, Butter, Eggs & Red Meat And No Veggies Or Fruits"
During the 1st phase of Atkins (there are 4 total phases), larger amounts of lean protein are encouraged to get the body into Ketosis (fat burning mode) and jump start weight loss. That being said, Atkins can be done successfully without doing Induction. Induction is for a 2 week period (but, it can be safely done longer). During this phase, you are allowed 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day. Keep in mind, 12-15 of your 20 carbs need to be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. On Induction, fruit is not permitted but, it is slowly added back.

#4. "Atkins Is No Carb"
From day 1, if you are doing Atkins correctly, you should be eating 20 net carbs per day with 12-15 carbs coming from veggies & salads. Obviously NOT no carb.

#5. "You Can Eat All The Eggs & Bacon You'd Like"
Atkins encourages moderation & portion control. Just because a food may be low carb, that does not give you a license to eat as much of it as you like. During the Induction phase, larger amounts of fats are encouraged to get your body into a fat buring mode. After Induction, you gradually increase your amount of carbs per day until you find your personal carb level for either losing weight or maintaining weight. Lean meats, more veggies, nuts, legumes, fruits and whole grains are then slowly incorporated into your eating.

#6. "Atkins Is Extremely Restrictive"
Some may find the 2 week Induction period "restrictive" because only foods on the acceptable foods list are permitted. When you progress to the 2nd phase of Atkins, known as OWL (On Going Weight Loss), you begin adding a variety of foods back into your diet.

#7. "Atkins Is A Fad Diet"
The original version of the Atkins diet originated in 1972. Many people are still doing Atkins 72 as well as the newer versions of Atkins. It is not some "here today gone tomorrow" program.

#8. "Dr. Atkins Died Of His Own Diet"
Dr. Atkins passed away in 2003 from complications of a head injury he sustained from a fall. He did not make it a secret he was suffering from cardiomyopathy near the end of his life. This is a progressive as well as serious condition that is caused by a viral infection. The infection did weaken Dr. Atkins heart and it was evident it was not due to his diet. Unfortunately, the media likes to blow situations entirely out of proportion for their profit but, the truth is, he died from a serious head injury.

#9. "Low Carb Causes Lack Of Energy"
Our bodies are designed to get engery from 2 sources....carbohydrates & fat. When carbohydrates are restricted to a low level, the body will begin burning fat, this process is called Ketosis. Despite what you may have heard, ketosis is not dangerous. Many confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis which is a serious condition that can occur with diabetes. Some may experience what we in Atkins circle's refer to as "Atkins Flu" when they first begin Induction but, once your body has become accustomed to burning fat for fuel rather than sugar laden carbohydrates (typically 3-5 days), your energy will return and you will feel better than you've probably felt in years!

#10. "Atkins Causes High Cholesterol"
The common belief is that Atkins encourages high fat foods. While this is true in the first 2 weeks of the plan, it is not the criteria for the remaining phases. Lean meats, fish & poultry as well as eggs. egg whites, dairy products, olive oil, nuts, seeds and whole grains are all components of the lifestyle that makes Atkins healthy. For many, Atkins has lowered total cholesterol as well as LDL ("bad cholesterol") & triglycerides.

I hope this clears up any confusion associated with Atkins.

Remember, Atkins is a lifestyle, its not just some "diet" you do to lose the weight and then go back to your old ways. If you want successful & permanant weightloss and maintenance, you must change your eating habits for the rest of your life!

You CAN do this!!!
Great Post...I need to get the book.
LaCreadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 246/220/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Atkins success..and subsequent setback :(

I achieved great success with the Atkins diet. I lost 40 lbs, and I looked great and was actually very close to feeling comfortable in a bikini. Some people just can't eat sugar and simple carbs and not gain weight. I have proven that by gaining back 30 of the 40 lbs that I lost over the past year. For much of this past year, I have been quite active as well. Diet is obviously crucial for me.

I feel really stupid, but am ready to get back on track.

Good for all of you that have stayed on track with Atkins!! Its a great way of life, and really worked for me.
smurnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 226/200/140

Height: 5'1"

I am reading Atkins for Life, and I really see myself as the carb addicted person. I fell into this book, not intending it for me, but I am now going to follow it! I am so excited to have found something that seems do-able!
elaine19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #24  

same happened to me i lost 85 lb and gained all back! i truly believe what you mentioned is true - at least for myself
julie7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 158/155/110

great post! I have people who think the same things of Atkins. Nerves me when they wont do a little reading for themselves.
Mistirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #26  

Default Thank You Jersey Girl!!!

Thank You Jersey Girl you give me hope!!! Ive read the book and I just started.. I am hopeful that it works for me as well... Its amazing how depressed you get when life throws you a curve and It causes tremendous weight gain... Please read my story and let me know if you have any advice for me... Thank you in advance for your time!!!
nystateomind is offline   Reply With Quote