Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #1  
On my way!

S/C/G: 257.8/250.4/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I bought the book today!

Found it at teh goodwill store for .50 i had this book 10 years ago and i never really read it. You all have been an inspiration to me this past week. I lost 30 pounds at the beginning of the year by alot of exercise and counting calories. I fell off that wagon this fall due to alot of stress ( death in the family-divorce) and my own laziness. I have now gained back 20 of the 30 I lost But I am excited to finish reading hte book and stock my fridge to begin induction just after Xmas. I have lurked here alot but I'm afraid you all will be hearing alot from me in the weeks tro come!

Kate
katieloumagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Kate.

Which Atkins book did you get? New Diet Revolution? Great price...can't beat 50 cents. I LOVE Goodwill....buy almost all of my clothes there...and also at Family Thrift Store which is just like Goodwill but under different management. I absolutely love getting bargains....almost makes me euphoric.

It's so funny....years ago I bought this whole wardrobe from Goodwill for under $100.......and I had this one dress, dark blue and dark green check...from Talbot's (got it for 5 bucks). So anyway, I was getting tons of compliments on it and was telling everyone it only cost me $5 at Goodwill. And my friend leaned over and whispered to me, "why are you telling everyone you got it at Goodwill? Let them think you got it at Talbots" And I remember being puzzled by this....because for ME....I get WAY more pleasure out of getting great bargains at thrift stores than I would EVER get buying expensive stuff at stores like Talbot's. In my own mind, getting it for such a bargain was way more of accomplishment than being able to afford it at Talbot's....so I was bragging about it....even though my friend felt the total opposite.

For me, it was extremely helpful to read the Atkin's book first....1) so I totally understood what things I could and could not eat and 2) learning HOW the diet works really keeps me motivated. I can literally picture the fat-burning fire going in my head. It's a great image for motivation. I also find myself going back and re-reading chapters...not totally sure why as I have it practically memorized...but for some reason, it also motivates me.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Fantastic Kate... good to have you with us.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #4  
On my way!

S/C/G: 257.8/250.4/150

Height: 5'8"

Deena im the same way! i loooove getting a bargain! my best find recently was a brand new pink burberry checked scarf 100% cashmere for 4bux lol i always tell people i got stuff at goodwill. baragin hunting is awesome!
katieloumagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Kate.

Have you been reading your Atkins book? What do you think of it? Does it sound like a plan that you could do?

I remember the very first time I started Atkins way back in the early 90's. I ate this huge steak with ketchup. I'd heard of the diet but really didn't know it like I needed to....thought it was mainly protein and didn't realize I couldn't have ketchup. Shortly after I started, I got the book and then I learned the right way I was supposed to be doing it.

However, back then, I could do a few things I can't do now...such as, not worrying about artificial sweetener, eating processed meats occasionally, like hot dogs, etc....and eating pistachios. Now I can only use 3 packs of Splenda, max, a day...try to avoid ALL processed meats and mainly stick with almond (way less carbs then pistachios...which I LUV).

My metabolism was probably better back then....due to not only age but ending up on a medication in 2005/early 2006 that literally shut down my metabolism. So this time, I have to be much more rigid in terms of sticking to plan.

It's so great to have the book, though.....not only to make sure you eat the right things but also because the explanations of how it works metabolically can be extremely uplifting and motivating to read...over and over (in my case). I don't really know how to explain why this is....I think it may be that you can mentally picture the process happening and makes you understand WHY you have to eat the way you do on the plan.

One great thing about loving to shop at thrift stores combined with dieting....you don't have to spend another fortune getting smaller clothing every time you drop a size. I would hate to have had to pay full price every time I dropped....and I've already dropped either 4-5 times and this current size is starting to get just a tiny bit loose on me.....but I know that when I drop again, I can go to the thrift stores and get a nice little new wardrobe for under 50 bucks.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote