Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #1  
angelmom313

Red face Swore I wouldnt do Atkins again!

I have done Atkins before. Several times. Each time I lost about 30 or 40 pounds. I regained the weight because I just started eating like I had before. I did not stick to a low carb way of life.

I swore I would never do Atkins again...BUT...it is really the only thing that has worked for me that I could stick to. I have the book and know everything I need to do...but my problem is more psychological I guess. When I did Atkins before I usually stayed on Induction the entire time (probably 3 or 4 months) instead of adding carbs. I got so sick of it that I just quit. I guess that was my problem, not introducing carbs.

I have pretty major question...what do you think about doing Atkins to get the weight off, then switching to a South Beach type of diet. I am just soooo afraid of the carbs after I start???? I am at my wits end! I am considering trying to finance lapband surgery and I am stressing big time.

My nine year old daughter is embarrassed by my fat....and I have to do something! HELP!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom313 View Post
I have pretty major question...what do you think about doing Atkins to get the weight off, then switching to a South Beach type of diet.
Maintenance on SB is very similar to maintenance on Atkins.
You say you got so sick of it you quit. Sounds like you need more variety. There are many good low carb, Atkins friendly cookbooks out there as well as many good recipe sites online. Linda's low carb is one of the best - http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
I just celebrated 5 years on Atkins and I can honestly say, I'm not bored or sick of the foods I'm able to eat
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3  

I lost weight on Atkins, but realized I could not maintain with it as a lifestyle. I have reached my goal weight and went to Weight Watchers for maintainence. I need to be able to eat all foods, I needed to learn moderation and have a support system. So far it has been wonderful, I still eat mostly lean meats and veggies, but it is good to know that I can have bread and fruit, too!

You need to find what will work for you for the long haul, it is your health and only you can do it for you! Best of luck!

Highest weight 209#
Today's weight 142#
Height is still 5'8"
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealperson View Post
I still eat mostly lean meats and veggies, but it is good to know that I can have bread and fruit, too!
Bread & fruit are allowed on Atkins too
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I say experiment until you find something you can live with. I lost nearly 150 lbs on Atkins 1999-2003 then regained it all and then some when I went off of it. But it truly is the only thing that works for me, so I'm back on it, with a major attitude adjustment this time. I don't feel deprived by not eating empty crappy carbs...I feel like I'm rewarding myself with good health (and a much better personal appearance, a nice bonus!) by staying on-plan. I finally "get" that it's a lifestyle change and I will never go back to high-carb eating. I just don't want to anymore. I am so addicted to carbs that any carbs, "good" or "bad" trigger a binge for me. So, Atkins it is, and I'm perfectly happy with it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #6  

Bread and fruit are not allowed during the Induction phases, then they are brought in later, but usually end up being the trigger foods that people get swayed off track with!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

I wasn't going to do Atkins either. And when I did decide to do it, it was 'just until I lost the weight'....but this time I really did the program....no frankenfoods, no cheats, no alcohol.
And after the 2 weeks of induction (that's hard, no way around it) I realized that I'm addicted to carbs...the more I eat, the more I want. After trying to do WW for over 5 years and failing (gained addtional 35 pounds), I finally finally finally feel control over my eating. Do I still crave carbs? Well, of course and I still am not 'perfect' when it comes to portion size....but this is something I can get control of my eating with, so, for me, low carb is the 'lifestyle change' I can live with. Yes, and you look at my stats, not so impressive really, but this is the first time in years that I have stuck with a diet this long and lost this much weight, so I'm feeling hopeful!
Jersey Girl is correct....there are way more foods you 'can' eat vs foods that are 'off limits'.....check out the whole program, not just the induction phase.
Check out Linda Sue's recipe site....this is what convinced me that I could do Atkins...
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
Really, it's worth repeating (Jersey Girl posted it earlier). Focus on what you CAN have, not what you can't.
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I think I have done Atkins, SB, WW, Hi Energy, shakes, etc a million times.... but I feel like this time I finally get it. I am an "all or nothing" person, if I can have a piece of the pie on a diet, I want the whole pie..... so for me, I had to do what worked for me. Restrictions only got me to the point of me thinking "when I am off my diet I am going to eat ______". That was not a lifestyle change. In the end, this time, I did a sample of everything that worked for me from each diet I had done in the past, oh, and I exercised my butt off. I now know for ME, the more carbs I eat, the more I want..... so I try to steer clear of my trigger foods that make me want to eat all day...... and if I do it..... I get right back on the next day..... no wait until Monday or the first of the month, or the day after my birthday or holiday..... but the bottom line is find what works for YOU.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

Great points ladyrider....find what works for you
and
get right back to it if you have a slip up

It's interesting isn't it? My doc was talking about that just the other day.....if you are looking for a reason to eat off your diet, well, there's always something.....a holiday every month just about, birthdays, office stuff etc etc etc.
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #10  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

its not the carbs that make you gain the weight back. Its going back to your old way of eating that brought it back.

I would suggest picking up The Dr. Beck Diet Solution book to work thru while you go back on the Atkins diet. This book is teaching me to "eat and think" like a thin person. Ive spent over 20yrs yo-yoing....this time its going to stop. Because I am going to teach myself how to maintain after the weight is off.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

For me, it is the carbs. My body can't handle them. Moderation is not possible. We're all different; that's my reality and YMMV.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
its not the carbs that make you gain the weight back. Its going back to your old way of eating that brought it back.

I would suggest picking up The Dr. Beck Diet Solution book to work thru while you go back on the Atkins diet. This book is teaching me to "eat and think" like a thin person. Ive spent over 20yrs yo-yoing....this time its going to stop. Because I am going to teach myself how to maintain after the weight is off.
Hey...I just picked up that book as well. I am on day 7. I realize that I need to change the way i think...not just the way I eat.

**Just wanted to chime in....
destynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #13  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by destynie View Post
Hey...I just picked up that book as well. I am on day 7. I realize that I need to change the way i think...not just the way I eat.

**Just wanted to chime in....
Good for you!! Ive found this book to be so helpful with the head stuff!! There is a support forum here on 3fc, check it out here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...168219&page=18
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote