Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Cool Low carb and exercise - please help

I posted the following questions on the Weight and Resistance Training thread about my problems yesterday during my weight training session.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169955

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on how best to deal with this, either in that venue or here.

Thanks!
CJ
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Based on your advice, I will do the protein/carb thing after and use it as my carbs for the day.
I don't think that's a very good idea CJZee because that's not how Dr. Atkins intended induction to go. Rather than "spending" all your daily carbs on a banana and a protein shake, he meant for you to have leafy green vegetables throughout the day.

With your strict weight-training regimen, it kinds of sounds like induction might not be your best best. Some people skip induction and go right into OWL. Perhaps you want to up your daily carb intake above 20 to accommodate your need for post-workout stuff?

Here's what I'm doing, if the info is useful. I have been on induction since 8/14/08 (I need to lose 200# so I'm staying on the very low carb intake level). I quit losing pounds on the scale 2/14/2009 but I'm still losing size. I started working out 3/3/2009, and I started serious weight training using The New Rules of Lifting for Women end of last month.

One of the "rules" is to have a post-workout shake, but I won't do that because 1) I don't do processed stuff at all, and those shakes are highly processed and 2) the ones that advertise as low or no carb are clearly lying, because the ingredients list includes carb-containing stuff. Instead, right after I get home, I have a small piece of grilled chicken, a handful of cold cooked shrimp, or a couple of boiled eggs, etc. Just a small serving of protein. It's working great for me but YMMV. Best of luck.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I would say I agree with DC....if you are doing weight-training you may want to consider waiting till you get to the OWL phase of Atkins when you've added more carbs to your diet.
I also agree with the protein like hard boiled eggs , chicken, fish etc. rather than those carb laden, so-called "protein shakes".
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #4  

Hi DC, thanks for the great feedback.

I think what I will do is to have the bulk of my carbs for the day at my meal BEFORE the weight training session to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, maybe on ONLY the weight training days, I might up my carbs slightly before the session. I think my muscles just ran out of steam because he pushes me really hard.

Regarding the "after workout" drink, it is not a shake, it's this clear liquid that's like pure protein made by Isopure. I read the ingredients very carefully and there are no carbs.

You are doing so great on your program in such a short time. It is amazing you are losing sizes even though your weight has stalled a little. And now you're adding weight training, wow! I am bound and determined to make Atkins work for me and still weight train. I think both will be important in this journey. Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Thanks. I am just a total freak I think! LOL I lost 60 lbs in the first 3 months, 40 lbs in the second 3 months, then nothing since then although I haven't changed anything. I actually haven't lost weight since about Christmas but I've gone from a tight 24 to a loose 20, or an 18 at Lane Bryant, jumping around in the 270s. Makes no sense at all, but I'll take it.

Can you post a link to the ispure, I'm curious about it.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Can you post a link to the ispure, I'm curious about it.
Here is a site where you can purchase it. It is a clear liquid of the consistency of water, in different flavors. Click on the "nutritional information" for a list of ingredients. I did notice it has sucralose as a sweetener. Does that have carbs in it?
http://shop.bariatriceating.com/Zero...s_p_18-64.html
Here is the ad for it:
"Zero Carb Isopure Glass" No sugar, No preservatives, No fat, No carbs, No lactose... just 40 grams of the purest, lightest, healthiest protein with a fresh, clean, fruity taste.

Last edited by CJZee; 04-24-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I would say I agree with DC....if you are doing weight-training you may want to consider waiting till you get to the OWL phase of Atkins when you've added more carbs to your diet.
Thanks, Kim! I am going to try again at my session next Tuesday and if the same thing happens, maybe I'll skip a week of weight training. By that time, I should be through induction. I did cardio today and it seemed okay.

The first two days of induction, I ate a lot of calories. I've been tracking my calories and nutrients via CalorieKing for the past two months while I was calorie counting, and it has carb and protein counts, etc. in it too. So I just keep logging the food in there. I stayed below the 20 grams of carbs, but the calories and fat went up a lot. The first day there were 2350 and second day 2560 calories. This is compared to my normal 1550 calories, so it's a little scary.

Is there a ratio of fat/protein/carb I should be aiming for?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Yes sucralose has carbs. It's the generic name for Splenda. 1 carb per teaspoon. I avoid it; it stalls me. So, unfortunately, Isopure wouldn't work for me.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

My personal ratio is about 30% fat 60ish % protein most days. All my carbs come from decaf, eggs, green beans and lettuce. But my version is very strict, far stricter than Atkins himself.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'd have to agree with DC again about the Isopure. My reasons for avoiding it would not only be the Splenda...but, the artificial color & flavor as well.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-25-2009 at 06:51 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
My personal ratio is about 30% fat 60ish % protein most days. All my carbs come from decaf ...
Hi DC -- so decaf coffee has carbs??? I looked it up on the USDA site which breaks down all the micronutrients -- it does have an amazing amount of stuff in it, but no carbs according to them. Here is the link. Sorry you have to do the search yourself (just type in coffee and pick brewed, decaffeinated). I tried to link it right to the end of the search, but it doesn't work):
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Do you mean 30% protein, 60% fat?

Wow, you are on a strict regime! Congrats again on your amazing weight loss and shrinking size. I am happy because I am now in mid-range ketosis!!! Yay!!!

Thanks for all your help. CJ

Last edited by CJZee; 04-25-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
My reasons for avoiding it would not only be the Splenda...but, the artificial color & flavor as well.
Thanks, Kim. I will try to avoid all "artificial" things in the future also. I am going to try to learn from you successful folks! I am in mid-range ketosis, this is the start of my 4th day of induction! Thanks, CJ
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

In DANDR he advises to count 1 gram of carb per average cup (8 oz I think) of decaf, so I limit myself to 2 a day and count 2 carbs.

I do @ 60% protein 30% fat. I can't imagine having more than half of my daily calories come from fat...what would you eat? Drink straight cooking oil! Blech!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 194/186/150

Height: 5'5

CjZee, I work out a lot, five to six days a week with weight trainning on at least four of those days and I am on my third week of induction. I drink protien shakes befor and after my work out. I use a brand that is low in carbs and sugar 3 net carbs per seving. so about 6 net grams of carbs a day from my protien drink. It has worked really well for me!
BEsaprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEsaprina View Post
CjZee, I work out a lot, five to six days a week with weight trainning on at least four of those days and I am on my third week of induction. I drink protien shakes befor and after my work out. I use a brand that is low in carbs and sugar 3 net carbs per seving. so about 6 net grams of carbs a day from my protien drink. It has worked really well for me!
Thanks for the info! I have been doing well at the exercise since my initial crash. I have just been eating most of my carbs that day BEFORE my session.

In regards to the protein drink, my trainer thinks I should eat some carb with it (like a banana) to get it into my muscles easier. I'm not explaining this right, but he basically says have carbs and protein after within an hour of serious weight training.