Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #1  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Default Daily Dose of Kefir?

When I started on Atkins last year I followed the plan strictly. I ate only from the lists of allowable foods, and cut out anything that wasn't "legal".

The thing is, about a month ago I deviated from the 1992 DANDR WOE by adding in a cup (250 ml) of home-made kefir.

Every batch is different, so it's impossible to know the carb content, but given that a lot of the milk sugars are "eaten" during the fermentation there ought to be substantially fewer carbs than in the whole organic milk I start with. I've chosen 6g per cup as an arbitrary figure to count, although I think that might even be an overestimate.

It's such good stuff I really want to keep it in my diet. Any comments? Do you think my carb count is way off? I have a track record of fooling myself, and underestimating when it comes to food....
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote