Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/265/155

Height: 5'6''

Default Breakfast Ideas for someone alergic to eggs

I am new to the post, but not new to atkins or weight problems. I am at my highest weight 314 right now but have struggled all of my life. I did low carb years ago and lost many sizes, but then gave it up and things got worse from there.

I am insulin resistant bordering on diabetic and know that the low carb lifestyle is what will work for me. I also know how hard it is to maintain. I have a new wrinkle though. In the past, I ate eggs quite a bit. Boiled eggs are so easy to deal with and manage and I like them. Recently, I have developed an egg allergy that causes stomach pain when I eat them.

Any suggestions on what to do for breakfast that is quick and legal? Or any suggestions on managing my egg allergy?

Thanks,

Jenni
geber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

Are you sure you are actually allergic to the protein in eggs? (That's what egg allergy is.) Or could this just be some kind of digestion problem that will pass once you get your eating in order?
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/265/155

Height: 5'6''

Good point, and I don't know the answer.

I do know that right after my daughter was born, I was nursing her and trying to eat very healthy. I was dropping pounds also. I was eating breakfast every day consisting of eggs, meat and occasionally toast. I began having terrible stomach pains and ended up at the DR having a endoscopy and ultrasounds. They found no "problems" but told me to start monitoring foods. I started eliminiating foods and testing them to find that anytime I ate eggs, I had major stomach pain.

I have tried them off and on in the past year, but each time experience pain.
geber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'1

You could eat leftovers for breakfast or other dinner-like items (steak, etc.) There are some recipes on http://genaw.com/lowcarb/
But honestly, eggs are in a ton of these recipes and I cannot imagine doing this diet without eating eggs (omelette for breakfast, hard boiled eggs for a snack, omelette as a fall-back choice when out to eat, etc.). Maybe you should consider doing South Beach or something where you could eat oatmeal for breakfast.
fatfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

I googled egg allergy, and it seems you doctor should be able to test for it. Of course you can just eliminate eggs, but it seems like a big hassle to avoid such a common food, when don't even know for sure what the problem is.

Sorry I'm no help with breakfast ideas, I just love fried eggs, so I haven't experimented much..
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #6  

I don't find avoiding eggs to be that big a problem. I'm also suffering form a self diagnosised egg allergy. They just upset my stomach! But I can eat eggs in other things and there are eggs in a lot of other things. I only avoid eating just plain eggs.

I did Atkins once before too and ate a lot of hard boiled eggs, but not this time. I eat left overs for breakfast (as I just wrote on another thread). The only time I feel kind of bad is when we eat out for breakfast. If you order off a menu in the morning, there's aren't a lot of choices besides eggs and carbs. Sometimes I just order a side of breakfast meat. Or, if we go to a buffet, I usually put some eggs on my plate just so I don't have to go through the dining room with a big pile of sausage and bacon and nothing else.
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #7  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool Breakfast?

I like deviled eggs -avoids the plain egg thing. Mayonnaise, a little mustard, salt, pepper, pimentos, onion juice, parsley - whatever you like. You might also try the pimento cheese recipe with an Oopsie roll...not bad.

I have no shame about eating a big pile of sausage, bacon, ham (but I eat eggs too) wherever I am. Since I weigh 240 pounds, it's obvious I eat something...and it's no one else's business what I choose to eat. No one else has to wear it but me. Have a great week.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I usually have a chocolate protein shake with a tsp of psyllium fiber mixed in & 1oz cheddar cheese. Ive never liked eating breakfast, so this works for me.

Ive also cooked batches of chicken, shredd/chop in the food processor, mix in some low carb bbq sauce (to taste), couple blobs of mayo, and a shake of bacon bits.......mix it all up and have a couple tsps of this for breaky. I also like to mix this into my broccoslaw instead of tuna for lunches.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote