Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Talking Newbie! Starting Atkins 2maro :D

Hello Everybody!!

I'm 20 years old,married, mom of a 2 year old. I'm starting Atkins tomorrow with phase 1. I'd like to loose 100lbs and I think Atkins is the best way for me as I have SERIOUS carb addiction. I can't stop when it comes to bread, pasta, sweets, etc so that's one of the motivating factors for me to do Atkins. Also, I vaguely attempted Atkins when I was 16 or 17 and ended up loosing 5lbs in a week, but circumstances kept me from pursuing the diet.

I had a daughter in April 2006 which my highest weight of 294. After birth, I weighed about 275. I then got down to 240lbs before I started gaining. Most of the weight loss was from breastfeeding and me trying so hard to cut back sugars and eat healthy. Unfortunately around the same time breastfeeding slowed, I started to have emotional binges (which I really didn't do a lot before)and lots of daily intake of chocolates. Everything was very emotionally charged and related to depression. I went sky rocketing back up to 280 and then down to 260 again before getting injured, pregnant, and miscarrying and becoming more depressed. As you can see the past few years have been up and down and up in terms of weight.

I'm very much an emotional eater and so I'm looking for ways to combat the food addiction. One thing I'm doing that helps is journaling. I'm also thinking about joining Over eaters Anonymous. I attended only one meeting once and thought it was strange and strict (for example if sugar is your downfall then that's it you don't touch it again because you cant control yourself) but now maybe I'm in a place where I can commit to it. The other thing I'm looking at is self-help which has assisted me in the past.

Exercise-wise I love going to the gym or doing videos so I'm not too bad in that department although my gym schedule is horrible and I'm looking for another gym when my membership ends in August.

So that's basically all about me for now.

I'm really in need of yalls support... I do not want to be overweight anymore. This weight is really holding me back now more then ever before. I'm really scared to loose the weight only to gain it back too... trying to stay positive here.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #2  

Good morning Templebody. Welcome to 3fatchicks and to Atkins. Have you purchased the book? It really is important that you borrow or buy the book and read it (you'll read it more than once and turn to it often so it's a good investment to purchase) 'Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution'

Go to Atkins.com and print out the list of allowable foods for induction and keep a copy at your elbow for shopping reference and for planning your meals.

DRINK YOUR WATER!

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/ is a site where there are many recipes for low carbing. Anything marked with an * is induction friendly.

You may feel ill, dizzy, disoriented for a day or two in your first week but stick with it and quickly you will break through to burning fats instead of carbs for energy and you'll feel wonderful. Your appetite will diminish and you'll have to remember never to go more than 5 or 6 waking hours without eating. Don't count calories........count your carbs religiously AND be sure that 12 to 15 grams of carb come from allowable veggies!! Be prepared to have trouble finding room in your fridge for all the veggies you're going to need.....you'll eat tons of them to keep that carb count up.

Good luck! Ihope you enjoy this and do it in a very healthy way.....remember you need your body healthy for the next 60 or 70 years.

Last edited by Timlin; 07-12-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/170/110

Height: 5'3"

Hi, TempleBody!

Just wanted to say welcome and good luck!
mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

to 3FC and low carb WoE!
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I think you may find the following link helpful:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138091

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Thanks guys! It's moving along nicely but I think I didn't eat enough veggies the past few days. Yes I'm eating three meals with meat and veggies and some cheese w/ eggs but its not enough veggies. Amazing! I'm going to try to cook some veggies as well and not just eat salads (they're great, butI'd have toeat buckets to get enough carbs I think).

I was actually looking for some good recipes so thanks for the link!Very helpful.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #7  
on a mission

welcome and how is it going so far?
Salubrious Fervor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #8  
surgery free success

S/C/G: 265/235/220

Height: 6'2

Hi TempleBody, First of all congrats on commiting to making some changes!!! I have tried the Atkins diet in the past. It seems that I have been on just about every diet at one time or another. (including a botched weight loss surgery that nearly killed me) I commited to the diet for close to 3 months, had my keytone sticks and checked my levels regularly. I did loose some weight but ultimately it did not work for me long term. I am simply not an advocate for long term depletion or negation of any one thing. If you find yourself, at some point, in the future getting to that stage of "needing" some carbs I suggest you switch things up. About the only diet that can work long term is a balanced one. A diet consisting of balanced complex, wholegrain carbs and good balanced proteins has a much higher long term success rate across the board. It is GREAT that you can maintain an exercise routine as that is key to any weight loss success and maintenance.

Good Luck!!! You can do it!
akdrummer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdrummer22 View Post
About the only diet that can work long term is a balanced one. A diet consisting of balanced complex, wholegrain carbs and good balanced proteins has a much higher long term success rate across the board.
You just described the Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance phases of Atkins. Despite what most people believe about Atkins, its not all red meat, butter & bacon. Long term success comes from following whichever plan you chose, be it Atkins or any other,precisely the way it was written. When we tend to want to do things our own way, they often fail.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote