Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

Default Food vs. Drink

I have a question.
I love drinks. Juice, milk, eggnogg, coffee ect. Well, all of these drinks have cals in them, so ive been finding little ways to save calories so that i can have an extra glass of milk or something.
But then i was thinking about it so i wanted to know your opinion. Does it matter if i consume a lot of my calories from drinks.
Im still eating veggies, friuts and protein, and im still consuming about the same amount of calories.
Does it matter that now instead of say....eating a 100cal pack w/ my lunch i drink a glass of milk instead? Does a certain amount of ur cals need to come from food?
What do you think?
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I'm not sure.... are you losing, maintaining, or gaining on your current "drinking habit"...???

Actually, I'm inclined to believe that an empty calorie is useless... like in alcoholic beverages. A frozen margarita can be as much as 630 calories or more... a regular hot cocoa can be 250 calories... just drinking regular milk is over 100 calories.

Is that how you want to spend your calories?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

This is just my 2 cents but I think it depends on what you are drinking. If you are drinking as Beach Patrol said if you are drinking a lot of empty calories then no I would say it's not good put if your drinking low-fat milk or 100% juice then it probable is not a bad thing because you are still getting a lot of valuable vitamins, protein, minerals and other things.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I prefer to NOT drink my calories, so I don't drink juice, caloric soda, or milk (I get calcium in yogurt, cheese, supplements, etc). But there is no reason not to drink as much as you want as long as you are getting the nutrients your body needs. The thing is... it is harder to get the nutrients you need from drinks. For example, a glass of orange juice doesn't have the fiber or several other nutrients that are in the orange itself. And while you do need calcium and vitamin D that are in milk, milk has a fair amount of calories so you may be skipping out on other essential nutrients that are in food if you drink milk instead. You mentioned eggnog... a half cup of eggnog has more calories than a half cup of most types of ice cream. If you are trying to lose weight, there is not room in your day for much eggnog no matter what else you cut out. But the coffee (and tea) are calorie-free (unless you add something caloric to them) and they are a great source of antioxidants, so drink up!
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I'm sure it doesn't matter in terms of calories if they are liquid or solid, but you are really robbing yourself of tremendous benefit from whole foods. A glass of orange juice offers you nothing that you can't get with a vitamin C tablet and a glass of water. It's just fancy sugar. You're better off eating the orange and introducing the fiber into your body. Also a lot less money.

Personally, I drink only water and an occasional glass of Merlot (two to three glasses per month). People wonder how I can maintain the calorie level so low and not go hungry, and it's because I waste none of those on liquids.

If they taste good to you, if you really love them, then by all means incorporate them into your diet so you won't feel deprived. In the strict sense of calories in vs. calories out, it's all the same.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote